Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 8: Those who have strayed from the path.

Mr Fox

Quote:
"That has to be a weakness we can use."

"If they dislike us that much, then we run a Nova for president and wait for them to try and assassinate him." Omar said tongue in cheek, as if looking suggesting that they use Ulrich as bait. "Or we have someone in the legistature propose a project that is favorable to Nova, and unfavorable to Psions. They make their move, and we nab them in the act. A Sting of sorts."

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*We don't have the time for such a thing and we need our psions on our side. We don't want to publicly alienate them in the name of a sting. Besides, i sus[ect our opponent is beyond such tactics. While we plot, something big gets blown up, we lose our window of opportunity and go to war with the Chromatics...*

Originally Posted By: Ulric Reikspar
"And we have the whole resources of Earth behind us, let's not forget," Ulric adds positively.
"Their power is great, but I get the feeling that their numbers, thus their resources, are small. If not, why not create a Psion army with their technology?"

"I am curious why they haven't come after us harder than they have? They seem big on plotting, but adverse to confrontation. And, we have reason to conjecture they don't like us, because we are novas. Why is that?"

"That has to be a weakness we can use."

"What if they've been waiting for us? During their infiltration they may have found out that there are higher forces they didn't expect pulling most of the strings. Even if our influence was very subtle it is evidential. What if they're waiting for us to make the wrong move?", Joani said.

"The aliens don't even need an excuse to start a war - there's been no diplomatic connections, they have no reasons to negotiate and they are extremely xenophobic. Maybe us trying to prevent a war is the time the real players need to make their move against us. Our resources are all aligned for war now. The President already approved the production of an Army. We could be doing exactly what they want."

*You're wrong about at least one thing Joani. We have mde diplomatic contact and they now do have a reason to negotiate. All of their previous conflicts were rooted in tribal tradition. Its not that they are aggressive to us so much as they are aggressive in temperment, even to each other. However their inter-tribal conflicts always end up back at the status quo. Coup is counted, territory redrwan but life goes on. They haven't contemplated species-wide mutual destruction before and that has made them just hesitant enough to listen to us. What we need now is proof.*

Quote:
"I understand that, Cody. I was more referring to before we made contact. They saw us and attacked. We saw them and opted for diplomacy. Thats a huge difference in my eyes."
*Although speaking in their defense, somebody made us a target long before. From their perspective we socuted their homeworld and then invaded their territory... I say this because success at any negotiation means getting behind the mindset of the othe other party.*

Kyria took all this in, absentmindedly chewing on her lower lip as she thought it over. "If they viewed us as just another strange tribe acting as their tribes do, then what they did makes sense. They acted within their cultural paradigm, even if that was manipulated by the Puppeteers for conflict between the tribals and Earth. Are we meeting with multiple tribal representatives or only one or two tribes?"

"We need to deal with the knife at our throats before we deal with the foe before us. The Chromatics can wait, and besides the evidence is pretty clear they have been set to cross purposes against us and are not our true enemy. Besides, given time and nova resources, we can safetly surpass them technologically. That should make them less of a threat."

"The people who have developed the techniques to hyper-evolve human psions are threatening the hard-won stability here on Earth. They have set our own people against us. They are the ones we need to hunt down and punish for the death of Enterprise."

Ulric speaks with the voice of a seasoned diplomat, in a calm, well-reasoned tone.

"And we have the whole resources of Earth behind us, let's not forget," Ulric adds positively.
"Their power is great, but I get the feeling that their numbers, thus their resources, are small. If not, why not create a Psion army with their technology?"
Steve says,

"Very few people on Earth are going to think the extermination of humanity is a good idea. Very few are going to hate novas to the point where that issue can be side stepped."

"Someone on my list of things to do is to turn that guys life inside out. Learn everything I can about him. See what makes him tick. Then maybe we try to flip him. Before that happens we're going to need to rebuild the psi-ad containment cell, probably put in another psi-damper."

Originally Posted By: Kyria Thea
Kyria took all this in, absentmindedly chewing on her lower lip as she thought it over. "...Are we meeting with multiple tribal representatives or only one or two tribes?"
Steve says,

"A good question. I'm not sure we know the answer. Assuming they still have tribal issues, that might be something we can use. We give them a golden apple, say it's for the bravest, fire up a civil war."

"We need to deal with the knife at our throats before we deal with the foe before us. The Chromatics can wait, and besides the evidence is pretty clear they have been set to cross purposes against us and are not our true enemy. Besides, given time and nova resources, we can safely surpass them technologically. That should make them less of a threat."

"The people who have developed the techniques to hyper-evolve human psions are threatening the hard-won stability here on Earth. They have set our own people against us. They are the ones we need to hunt down and punish for the death of Enterprise."
Ulric speaks with the voice of a seasoned diplomat, in a calm, well-reasoned tone.
Steve says,

"Maybe. Maybe not. The Chromatics can wait six days. At seven we go to war and try to exterminate each other."

"I think the Puppet Masters are deeper thinkers. I wouldn't be shocked if they live a lot longer than we do and are used to the idea that years is a short time."

"They are our true enemy but we may have months or even years before they make their next move. And our options are rather limited. Investigate Mr. Mega-Psion's life. Maybe his body too, he might have some bio-tech gizmo we can check out. Build more Psi-Dampers. But my profile won't work for the general population, there'd be too many hits, and I frankly don't want to find another Mike level telepath just yet."

"One other thing, we need to start the processing U2 to make it weapons grade."

"Well, if the Chromatics are still in a tribal mindset, presenting a large-scale threat to them will have less of a chance of causing internal strife and more of a chance of uniting them under 'we'll go back to killing each other later, let's get the novas and humans first' mentality. Also, if the Puppeteers present no overt threat to the Chromatics, they're more likely to jump at confrontation with us, one that's already had the first flush of victory for them with the Enterprise, before picking a fight with the Puppeteers."

She addressed her former President, "Do we know how they're evolving the psions?" Dhe looked thoughtful again, then, "Do we know how many telepathic novas or psions we could trust and muster for these negotiations or further investigations? I may not have my father's breadth of power or experience, but I have inherited his ability to link telepaths and their powers. I don't know if it would work with psions, but I do know it would work with nova telepaths. If we're looking at dealing with an alien race of unknown but incredibly powerful mental powers and hype-evolved psions serving them, the ability to pool our abilities and have the power necessary to deal with them at hand when needed means we could move more securely." She shrugs, "Perhaps that is how they are doing it, linking together and providing their human psions access to a vast pool of telepathic power."

Steve says,

"Well, so far I'm not sure if the Chromatics even know of the existence of the Puppeteers. Personally I'd like to deal with the Chromatics by surrendering."

"We admit we were wrong to go into their system, we promise to not do it again, we tell them to feel free to kill anyone who does, and let that be that."

"They're not interested in space exploration and we can afford to trade them their own star system for the rest of the universe."

Scowling, Omar looks at Steve. "I'd hardly call what you advocate, surrendering. You surrender when you are at war. As far as I know, we are not at war with the Chromatics."

"Issuing an apology and promising not to go into their system again, would go a long way in helping negotiations with the Chomatics."

"Surrender is such a distasteful word. I also leaves the bitterest feeling in one's mouth. It is crushing to someone's national pride." Obviously Omar was referencing his own past, from another time, in another universe.

Steve says,

"So we sell it to our people as a truce and to theirs as a surrender. What little we know of their culture suggests that 'winning" is very important to them. Call it honor or pride or whatever. But after the war is over, everyone goes home and that's pretty much it. It's the whole principle of counting coup."

"So... we tell them we acknowledge that they could have beaten us, that they could have exterminated us. Basically we let them declare victory and leave."

"If it is that easy I agree. I just hope it works for them this way.", Joani knew of Omars difficulties with the word 'surrender'. He never did as far as she could remember. He has always been the most reliable of the Paragons. Surrendering wasn't part of his nature, he would always struggle and seek another way. She had learned much from him, especially respecting him.

"We need to do what needs to be done to get them off our back. Our best revenge can be accomplished by prospering. I think we are a much stronger society and soon enough we will be beyond their ability to threaten successfully. If that means we use some distasteful language ... well then that is what our survival mandates."

"My opinion anyway."

"Cody, in the negotiations, we should also arrange for some permanent, and perhaps, personal way of communicating with them. As we build more ships, the possibility exists that some might accidently - or not so accidently - enter their space. I don't see our enemies just letting a carefully cultivated menace sit idle if they can help it. We need a way to conteract that."

*Ulric has a point. What you are suggesting Steve has a certain amount of logic but whomever framed us the first time could easily do it again. Aside from that, I believe if we do as you suggest...show weakness and tell them they could beat us...then they will most certainly try. They are just that aggressive. They would try and conquer us out of that very same pride.*

*No I beleive that if we are to deflect the menace they represent we must educate them as to the most dire consequences for both of us and present as strong a front as possible. Strength will win their respect, not weakness...*

Omar listened intently as the others made suggestions about how to address the Chromatic's situation. When Cody finished, Omar spoke.

"Cody is correct. If we show weakness by surrendering over such a minor alteraction, then it will embolden our enemies. Those of you from my earth, know well that certain groups become more agressive in the face of weakness."

"If the Chromatics are as Cody and Steve suggest, then showing strength from us while acknowleging that they are strong as well, will garner us more that surrendering. They seem to respect strength and abhor weakness. We have to show them that we can save face, and that we don't want them to lose face."

Steve says,

"OK, I have to yield to what passes for the experts here. A good phrase might be... "Although we are strong we must admit that it's possible that you could destroy us. It's even possible that we'd only destroy half your planet in the process."

Steve shrugs and says, "That's a mis-quote from a movie or something. Moving back to our Puppet Masters and the Super-Psions... I'll have to think about it."

(Over the link) *"It occurs to me that if we assume there's a few more super-psions, and we if assume they'll follow the same profile as the last one, and if we assume that they'll also be placed in sensitive places... there's only a hand full of places they'd be. One of them would be the office of the President. Not a political appointee, but a minion who wouldn't be likely to be replaced when the Prez looses an election.*

*I favor the blunt approach. We show them the footage of how far we have been willing to go in the destruction of our own species and translate that to the inter-species conflict. I do agree we need to stop shy of gun-boat diplomacy however. If we show up with ultimatums, their pride will force the war. The only way out is to a.) convince them of mutual destruction..ie no one gets to count coup, and b.) that we have both been used and that we should ally against our manipulators. Fighting alongside each other will earn their respect when the dust settles. On that note, lets turn this discussion toward obtaining the hard evidence I'll need to present the Chromatics. What are our leads?*

Privately to Steve. *Excellent call Steve. Lets get on that as soon as this meeting is over...*

*I'd look for someone that has access to the documents and trust of powerful people, especially those with military or infrastructure influence or direct control. Aides, personal assistants, even especially well-placed long term interns. Anyone that would be around long enough to either become invisible from familiarity, or be trusted with sensitive knowledge because of their proximity to a leader.*

Kyria made a slight face and shook her head at Cody. "I don't know that showing that we fight amongst ourselves is really going to translate to the possibility of xenocide on our part. We need...a show of force, but only that. A show. Something that says we respect them as a strong people, worthy of considering a threat but that we're well enough matched to be better off either leaving each other alone or allying against the greater threat of the Puppeteers." She let out a small laugh. "We need an interspecies Olympics, or some version of that. I actually wouldn't apologize for going into their space, at this point. We tested their strength and they proved their mettle. We lose face if we say it was a mistake or that we're afraid of them, we lose diplomacy if we come at them aggressively now. That is, if they're anything like human tribal societies were or are."

"We need a way to engage them before speaking alliance, I would think. If we simply go in with a 'well, shucks, we didn't mean to invade, oh and by the way can you help us out with these other guys' they'll think we're weak." A thought seemed to strike her, "You know, we could go in with the offer to protect them from the Puppeteers. Say our recent encounter gave us a measure of their strength: strong enough to be considered worthy of assisting, but not strong enough to protect themselves from the Puppeteers. It's a gamble, and shouldn't be taken until we get a slightly better feel for their culture, but it might sting their pride into proving that they are our equals by pulling equal or more weight in dealing with a mutual threat." She cocked her head to the side, regarding Cody again. "Unless there's more I still need to be caught up on regarding the Chromatics?"

((To help get a feel for Cody, he doesn't move his outh when he "speaks" and one hears his voice in one's mind. His voice still sounds like it used to, a sort of full baritone, but there is no sense of direction of where the voice is coming from. It is simply there.))

*Aye, Kyria, you are quite correct.* comes over the general link. What is sent privately among the team however, so as not to alert the President, unaware of the true nature of our cabal, includes the following. *However you misunderstood my meaning. You are correct of course, we do need a show of force. Unlike our original timeline, here we avoided Hiroshima and Nagasaki. What I meant about how far we will go, is to show them our graphic footage of armagedon in another parallel dimension. The consequences of all out planet-wide thermonuclear holocaust. It is one of our secrets from which I beleive your father would have spared you. It is difficult for any mind to take in, and I intend to awaken in the Chromatics a new gravity to the consequences of war...*

Kyria blinks in mild confusion, as it obviously was something her father had spared her. *Hiroshima and Nagasaki?* She doesn't wait for him to answer before following up with, *I don't think showing an aggressive, tribal culture new weapons is going to accomplish much past either uniting them against us as an effort to take our weapons from us for their own use, or each of them trying to treat or attack us separately to secure the new weaponry for themselves against their neighboring tribes.*

She looked thoughtful and a little worried. She'd played strategy games with her father and instructors before, but never with actual cultures at stake or living collateral.

*We can gague much better in person whether or not to play that card. You may be correct and it could add fuel to the fire...but I think not. When I approach the commander of the alien ship I found an intelligent being there. It would be a mistake to underestimate them due to their tribal culture and only recent experience with space technology. Between telepathy and their understanding of light they have an unbelievable sophistication of communication and corrdination. If they are however as i suspect, naive of the threat of utter anihilation it may give them a certain sobriety that we can use to our advantage in the negotioations.*

*Now...can we please table that matter for later. I think we have enough leads that, with Lorean's help can help us track down our mystery men. I suggest we compile a list of our suspects and have them put under surveilance. We don't go for the capture or the kill this time but we let them lead us to their masters...*

*Or...hmmm...Whomever they are they are using some kind of biotechnology tank to create their proxies, and that means they have a physical presence in our solar system. It won't be as easy without Micahel's power boosting our range but with Lorean's help we can scan for any unusual signatures that could be omega class bioware. Tracking down the tanks is the first concrete lead we have...*

As the others discuss and debate the doors to the conference room slide open with a quite woosh. Andrew shambles in with a look that those most familiar with him know; although his body no longer needs rest or sustainence beyond his taint-derived dietary needs his is subject still to mental fatigue. Pouring a cup of coffee Andrew scans the room noting for the first time the newcomer, a young woman who is quite attrictive. More fresh meat for the cabal? he things to himself, wondering, not for the first time, if their actions on this world would prove worthy of the test of time.

He clears his throat before speaking, "Morgan and I have done what we could. Michael is still in a coma, or something very much like a coma. The physical damage has been healed, Morgan was able to repair the brain swelling and hemmoraging easily enough but whatever the problem is it has gone beyond the physical.

"I've made him comfortable, and his body will stay healthy for the duration, but I cannot do more for him. With luck he'll get better with rest. The only other thing I can think of would be telepathic intervention. I don't suggest attempting it today though, he should rest at least a few days but perhaps Cody could go within and try to heal whatever psychic trauma there may be."

Andrew sighs and takes a long drink from his cup, "Now, onto things I might actually be able to do something about. Can somebody introduce me to this lovely young lady whom I have not yet met? And then perhaps you can fill me in on what the hell happened to Michael?" Andrew takes another long drink and empties the mug before putting it onto the table. He then smiles wanly, "I hope I haven't missed too much."

Kyria made a slight face and shook her head at Cody. "I don't know that showing that we fight amongst ourselves is really going to translate to the possibility of xenocide on our part. We need...a show of force, but only that. A show. Something that says we respect them as a strong people, worthy of considering a threat but that we're well enough matched to be better off either leaving each other alone or allying against the greater threat of the Puppeteers." She let out a small laugh. "We need an interspecies Olympics, or some version of that. I actually wouldn't apologize for going into their space, at this point. We tested their strength and they proved their mettle. We lose face if we say it was a mistake or that we're afraid of them, we lose diplomacy if we come at them aggressively now. That is, if they're anything like human tribal societies were or are."

"We could use some footage of the Paragons in action with some of the major feats of Omar and me, for example.", Joani shrugged a little. "But I honestly don't know if that would have any effect on them."

Joani followed the conversation attentively. She was glad that the plan was developing in a direction to actually prevent a war. Should Kyrias idea appeal to the others Joani would volunteer to be Earths Champion. It was her duty. She had released herself from Ulrics embrace and walked back to one of the large windows. Staring at the stars she continued to follow the conversation.

Andrew entered the room about the same time Joani turned to face the stars. A smile flew over her face as she heard his voice and she quickly forgot about the stars.

She looked to the young girl and then back to Andrew. "Our new friend here is Michaels daughter, Kyria...", she waited for a moment to let Andrew realize what she just said. Then she walked over to him and gave him a short summary of how far the conversation has come and what the rough plan was.

"... and then I suggested using some of the footage of the Paragons, especially of Omar and me. That's about it."

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
She looked to the young girl and then back to Andrew. "Our new friend here is Michaels daughter, Kyria...", she waited for a moment to let Andrew realize what she just said.

Andrew's jaw drops, "Whhaaaa?" Andrew shakes his head as if to clear it, looking at Kyria he says, "You're Michael's daughter? I had no idea. Umm, a pleasure to meet you, though under the circumstances I wish things were better. I, ahh ..." he difts off, clearly a bit flustered and confused. After a moment he recomposes himself and focuses on Joani as she catches him up.

Originally Posted By: Joani
...and then I suggested using some of the footage of the Paragons, especially of Omar and me. That's about it.

Omar walked over to Joani. "We shouldn't tell them what our strengths and weaknesses are. If they continue in their hostility, our abilities may be what gives us the edge. Knowing that I can pick up and toss the Eiffel Tower will change their tactics. Its best if that stuff is a surprise." A big smile crossed his face when he mentioned picking up the giant French building.

Kyria blinks in mild confusion, as it obviously was something her father had spared her. *Hiroshima and Nagasaki?* She doesn't wait for him to answer before following up with, *I don't think showing an aggressive, tribal culture new weapons is going to accomplish much past either uniting them against us as an effort to take our weapons from us for their own use, or each of them trying to treat or attack us separately to secure the new weaponry for themselves against their neighboring tribes.*
Noticing her puzzlement and guessing the cause, Steve sends back,

*Now there's a thought. Give them nukes and let them destroy themselves. A nuke is an uncontrolled matter energy conversion weapon that briefly creates "sun" like conditions. One nuke results in one leveled city with everyone around dead or poisoned.*

*One of the sick parts is they aren't that hard to build if you understand the theory.

"You're joking, right?", Joani directly addressed Steve. It was clearly visible that she didn't agree with his idea.

She wanted to scream at him but held back instead looking helplessly at Andrew and to Ulric. They didn't know of her fear and weakness. Bracing herself she shivered swallowing down her emotional turmoil.

Joani wasn't the only one who looked appalled at Steve's idea, his wife Amber wasn't real happy to hear it either.

Steve held up a thumb and forefinger an inch apart. He was slightly serious but only slightly.

*If someone's civilization has to be kicked over, I'd prefer theirs rather than ours. For the record, I'm not suggesting direct mass murder.*

*I am pointing out our biggest stick for making them treat this seriously isn't nova powers but rather the effects of nuclear war. But we aren't sure if we're going to be dealing with anything more than one tribe. And if we are dealing with one tribe then they might like the idea of nukes and be willing to trade peace for them to use them on their rivals.*

*And we may not have much choice, they already have enough technology to build nukes. Even showing them the idea of nukes is probably enough to let them figure it out since just knowing that they're possible gets you more than half way there.*

Andrew smacks himself in the forehead, *Christ, has it really gotten this bad already? Are we so paranoid that we cannot wait before discussing the option for atomic weapons?*

He shakes his head a sad look on his face, *I should point out Steve that it was my own actions in this time line that ensured that there wasn't enough Uranium for those weapons and that the rest of you made sure that there would never be a need for those weapons. These chromatics are warlike, actively fighting each other, and have technology equal to our own. I'd hazard that they already have those weapons, or at least know of the principle.

*Either way I disagree with your statement. Nova powers, applied properly, or improperly depending on your view, have far more destructive potential than nuclear weapons.*

"Moreso, we shouldn't be planning ANYONE's genocide," Ulric says with some authority. "I can't believe this is the people we have become."

No glowingly Right answer comes to him. Ulric knows he must muddle throught his moment of uncertainty with half-steps.

"The Chromatic way of warfare is a strength we can and should use. They accept psychological dominance as a result of conflict, and if we can get away with giving them that perception, we should. Time for them to see us as equals at a later date."

"We should plan out how the meeting should go without Michael being able to help, and go from there. What are we going to say? How are we going to say it, and who is going to say it? Can any of us communicate with them, or are we limited to telepathic contact?"

"At the same time, we should be hunting down the next Super-Psion. Since we can't risk another telepathic blast already experienced, we can't risk an interrogation at this time. We render them unconcious ... or dead."

Joanis mood lightened up visibly as she heard of Ulrics proposition.

Enthusiastically she added, "Even if telepathy is the only way to communicate maybe we can find a way for Ulric to participate? Maybe Kyria or Cody can work as a kind of proxy for him? I'm convinced that Ulric could really make a difference here.", Joanis eyes sparkled with hope.

Kyria, who had been silent through most of the debate on nuclear tactics, shrugged. "I've never tried to link non-telepaths. Honestly, I've never linked with anyone other than my father. I can give it a try, and if doesn't work we would just need to decide if the delay for translation would do more harm than having another person there."

She hesitates, then sets her shoulders in manner very much like Michael's when he's come to some decision. Her thoughts were careful, quiet, and intense. *If you intend to destroy this alien race, or hand them the means to do so themselves with the intent that they will do it, I don't want to be a part of it. Defending ourselves is one thing. Xenocide is quite another and we are better than that. Even if we cannot have peace with the Chromatics either because of the nature of their culture or because we cannot convince them or break them of their control by the Puppeteers, we can find another way other than the destruction of an entire alien species. We're novas; we're protectors and guides. We can't walk humanity down such a dark path. It would be irresponsible.*

*I said it before and I fear to keep repeating myself but I have to totally agree with Kyria. There's nothing more to add. Thank you, Kyria.*, Joani gave Kyria a very sincere smile. She was relieved that Kyria and her thought alike.

Archived