Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 8: Those who have strayed from the path.

Mr Fox

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kyria tried to respond several times, starting to speak only to stop and look anywhere but at the people around her. She looked almost embarrassed, and not a little intimidated by the novas in the room, though in more of a awe-struck than fearful way. She still wavered, though, and lapsed into an uncomfortable silence as her mind whirled around how to handle the pretty little mess her impulsiveness had gotten her into.

Kyria blinks at him a visibly pales, fidgeting with her coffee mug and looking frightened now. "I-I don't mean any...it's just...," she sighs. "Look, can you give him a few days to wake up? I'll stay put wherever you want me to until then, and if he doesn't wake up in the next few days, then I'll tell you, okay?" She looks at each of them, Cody last, pleading.

"Can't you see how hard she's trying, Cody?", Joani was getting a little upset.

"Give her some time to collect her thoughts.", Joani tried to find Kyrias eyes.

"You don't have to talk to all of us, if you don't feel comfortable. If you want we can go to my private quarters and just talk. I promise that no one will hurt you.", Joani carefully reached out with one arm and tried to touch Kyrias shoulder.

Kyria didn't seem at all bothered by the physical contact. She smiled nervously at Joani and shot Cody a look asking if he'd let it go for now. "It's not a-a group issue." She started to say something else, but caught herself quickly and started again. "It's just not really mine to tell. Not here. Not unless he doesn't wake up soon."

The prospect seem to push her somewhere between being sorrowful and being lost.

*Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of time. In less than a week Michael and I are going to meet with an alien delegation. The stakes if that meeting are dire on an apocalyptic level and with Micahel down I don't know if I can do it on my own. Furthermore, we have been infiltrated by uber-psions powerful enough to do that to him and nearly kill me.*

*Between barely surviving that ordeal and the knowledge it brought my patience is all but run out. If you don't want to fess up what you're hiding I can easily take a look inside and see. It doesn't have to be painful.*

(OOC: I should have said this awhile ago but Lie Detector activated for this scene.)

She looks at Cody, contemplating him for a moment, then simply says "It's not my secret, it's his. Can you respect that? If he'd wanted you to know, he'd have told you. I'm not an enemy. I'm not a threat. I'm just...complicated. Let him wake up and tell you what he wants to tell you. I probably won't even be an issue then, he'll just send me home."

There was a touch of bitterness in the last of that, and a set to her face that could be seen as the first stirrings of rebellion to her obedience to Michael.

((OOC: She hasn't lied once yet as far as you can tell.))

Cody seems to think for along moment, contemplating whther or not to let his stubborn defenses down.

*Fair enough...but if I find out that you had anything to do with what happened to him or are working with our enemies you're going to be in a world of hurt.*

She stiffens at Cody's thoughts, anger flashing through her eyes in her first strong display of emotion other than panic since coming aboard. She takes a deep breath, trying to calm herself before speaking. Her voice is measured; even and nearly deadly in its intensity, "I would never hurt him, ever. Ever." She unconsciously draws herself up as she speaks, an almost familiar bearing of arrogance around her. "Do not accuse me of that again, nor of betraying my own people."

Cody had been willing to let things slide but her outburst raised his hackles again. He meets her fiery anger with a cold edge.

*You're in no position to make any threats. You're lucky Omar didn't disembowel you the second you teleported onto our ship. Usually that sort of thing is seen as an act of war, so don't get self-righteous with me child.*

Joani was virtually stunned by the discussion that broke out in the matter of seconds and a bit angry at Cody at the same time.

"You heard what she said, she is not our enemy!", Joani spoke up in defense for Kyria positioning herself between Kyria and the group.

"If she's lying you would've known by now. For once it would be nice to trust someone, Cody.", Joani pointed her finger at him. "You've secluded yourself enough over the last 60 years and turned down many attempts to maintain contact with you. Trust is a valuable thing... as much as innocence. I trust you, Cody. Please... trust her. I can't tell you why but I feel she is not our enemy.", Joani swallowed down her anger which quickly turned into frustration because of Codys stubborness.

Hearing this newcomer obfuscate, was making Omar very angry. She showed up unannounced, and said that she would not tell how she is associated with Michael. If she really was at all. All she gives is a name, and nothing else. It was not acceptable. She was an intruder, and she was on their ship. She would answer any questions they asked her. Other wise, Omar would toss her unconscius body into a cell until she told them who she was.

He sends to Joani: * You had better tell her that it is in her best interest to answer any questions we ask, otherwise, I will make her answer them. It will not be pleasant. I don't like unnanounced visitors who keep secrets.

Omars voice brought Joani out of her emotional turmoil.

"Stop it! For gods sake!", Joani almost screamed. She turned around to Kyria laying her hands on her shoulders. "Please Kyria, tell us what is this all about. We are at a brink of War, like Cody said. You've got to answer our questions, I'm sure everything is going to be alright, no matter what.", Joanis voice pleaded.

*Joani...Micheal and I have the power to wrap just about anyone around our fingers....and we just met our match and then some. With players like these I don't know if i can trust my ability to discern truth. Hell for all I know, with such power any one of us could be twisted to serve our enemies and not even know it until it was too late. For all you know, she is an empathic manipulator, stirring you to her defense while she plays innocent.*

That reminds Cody to check whether or not Kyria has a Node and he does a ping.

Joani let go of Kyria and shook her head in disbelief. "I'm trying to help you, Kyria.", she said. She wanted to say more but decided against it. This stubborness was beyond her. This kind of pride felt wrong to her, as much as the animosity she felt from Cody and Omar.

She turned around and walked to one of the large windows of the lounge and stared into the stars. Things were changing and they were changing fast. She wished Ulric was here with her. She wished that she could prevent the whole war on her own. Fighting back tears she braced herself for comfort.

I need you Ulric...

Steve has been holding back and watching everyone, but he frowned when Cody said he had no clue who she was...

{Activate Investigative Prodigy & Lie Detector & Enhanced Vision to study her}

He adds up everything that's been said and what he sees. He narrows his eyes in surprise and then relaxes. Steve says,

"She's from the future. Or possibly another timeline. And I *think* that she's got a version of Lorean's link. Let's all calm down now."

{Activate Sooth}

"And speaking of our uber-psion, Lorean, would you please forward Cody's description of those three more landmines to the people going over my shipyard crew?"

Lorean nods to Steve, "I've already sent over the information, and requested that Andrew and the President return to the ship."

With Steve's pronouncement Lorean does a scan of her own and a test, *Test, Test, Test...* Lorean looks at first surprised then intrigued. 'Steve is not quite right. She is definitely from this timeline, but she does have a link, which means she can hear anything said over the general Link channel. It is not however a link that I made, I suspect Michael made it for her." Lorean's eyes narrow and she adds, and I know her secret, and suspect why she doesn't want to tell."

Lorean walks calmly over to Kyria and puts her hand gently on her arm and says a few quite words, "Kyria, I've just scanned you and I know what you are hiding. It truly isn't something that you need to fear revealing. I'm sure Michael had his reasons for keeping you secret until now, but that is obviously no longer important. The secret is out now one way or another. I believe the others will not stop until they have an answer." She then sends privately over the link to Michael, *I think it would be better if you told them than me. It would go a little ways toward inspiring trust. Michael might well be angry that you revealed yourself, but I really don't believe he'd be angry that you told the rest under the circumstances.*

Ulric walks back into the room with a sense of urgency and is rewarded with an immediate clash of wills.

'Joani looks frazzled ... needs comfort as much as I need her about now but ...'

'Michael's down and Cody look freaked ...'

'There the new girl ... start with the crisis I can handle.'

"Hello," Ulric says to Kyria, "I'm Ulic Reikspar."

He steps forward to shake her hand.

"I hope you can understand our situation here,"

looking down at Michael,

"and I think you do. What we need to know is who you are and what you are doing here. Some oath or promise you have made is holding you back - I understand that."

The former President speaks with a soothing, calm confidence.

"I'm going to guess you really know Michael, so you must know something about all of us. Am I right?"

Not waiting for a reply, Ulric smoothly continues,

"Now I'm sure this isn't the situation you would have ever wished on yourself. Michael being down has us extremely stressed as well. I don't think Michael forsaw this circumstance and that is why it falls you you to decide how to tell us what we need to know."

Holding Kyria's hand,

"Please help us help you."

((OOC: Ulric, we moved from the infirmary where Michael is, just fyi. We're in a lounge area. smile ))

Kyria looked back and forth between Ulric and Lorean, the brittle arrogance draining out of her. She sighed defeated and nodded to Lorean. "Alright. I guess there's not much to be done for it."

She squared her shoulders and thought for a moment, deciding how much to say and how to go about it. "I told you my name, but only my first name. My full name is Kyria Thea Donnighal. Michael is my father." She looked up and away from them, taking in the lines of the ship and the decoration of the room, and laced her hands behind her back before continuing, "My father kept me secret, to keep people from trying to use me or kill me; to give me time grow into myself. He gave me a link so that I could learn from him and you all and understand how the world was being shaped. I wasn't suppose to come here, but I felt what happened to him, felt his silence, and I had to know." She faltered at this, looking again young and unsure. "In all my life, he's never not been there, never been so silent and withdrawn."

She turned back to crew and asked with a touch of teenage defiance, "Does this satisfy you? It's the only truth I have to give you."

Still staring at the stars Joani said in a low voice, "He didn't trust us with the truth? I wonder what reasons he had for keeping you a secret?", she turned around to face Kyria and smiled at her husband. His presence gave her strength and confidence.

"I always thought that if there were any 'people' that could help him protecting you it would be us.", Joanis face showed clearly her disappointment. "I guess you are not to blame, though."

After a moments thought Joani added, "Nice to meet you Kyria - I wished it would've been under different circumstances. I believe that besides Morgan you are the best cure we have to bring Michael back. Your father needs you and we need him.", Joani looked at the others resting her eyes at Cody as she finished her sentence.

Cody nods, having suspected as much.

*There are a few other questions that would help us. For one, do you know who your mother is? Also, do you share your father's prodigous talent for telepathy? I could use another negotiator at my side if he doesn't wake up...*

Kyria flushed very faintly at Cody's first question, and she shakes her head at the second. "The talent, yes, but it's mostly untrained. Father's been busy, and there was so much else that I needed to learn first." She looked at him, sincere, "I'm sorry on that account. I understand diplomacy and negotiation, and I can be quite persuasive when I wish to be, but I cannot replace my father's skill as a telepath."

Ulric nods in response, mulling over his words.

"I'm sure your father had his reasons. The world remains a dangerous place."

Ulric imagines Michael's reasons may have been as much emotional as logical. After all, no one thought he would go that way and thus there was good reason to believe Kyria was born out of wedlock. For a man from his and Michael's time ... there would still be some stigma attached to it. Then there was the burden his own children had grown up with too.

"I'm sure Michael had his reasons, and knowing Michael as well as some of us do, they had to be good ones," he addresses the gathered novas. "We should not doubt his faithfulness to us now."

Cody was right, of course. Michael's fall left a painful gap in the teams capablities. If Michael didn't recover soon and Kyria could help, they would be forced to draft her into the depths of the teams dilemma.

Ulric walked over Joani and put an arm around her waist.

"Kyria, the question is not only can] you help us, but will you? Time is short and the situation is pretty dire, as you must have gleamed from your father's thoughts."

"I doubt Michael would want you to help, or even want you exposed to the current danger, but our current situation has us all risking much. Join us."

Kyria listened politely as Ulric spoke, excitement at the prospect of joining this crew and worry over her father's reaction once he woke up warring in side her. He had raised her to be a leader, though, and to do what was needed for the greater good. Even he wouldn't be able to argue with Ulric's reasoning, nor her own for accepting. "If you would have me, I would be honored."

Omar relaxed visibly at learning Kyria's relationship to Micheal. He walked over to the young woman. "Welcome. Now that we know who everyone is, we can get back to our current business." Omar cocked his brow and looked at the others.

Down on earth Andrew is relaxing as best he can. In his home he has put his feet up, poured an expensive glass of whiskey and gotten a book to read. He is just getting into the first chapter when Lorean contacts him. "Blast it all, can't a man get just a few hours to himself?" he mutters as he gets up. Downing the glass he quickly changes into "work" clothes and has Lorean teleport him directly into his lab in the med-bay onboard ship.

As he reviews the data on Michael's condition he comments to Morgan, "It's still hard to believe that my medical knowledge ever caught up to yours. Then again, I never dreamed I would have such motivation." He sighs as he reviews the video and the data, "Well, let's get to work. Lorean, please no interruptions by the others unless it is absolutely critical."

Steve gives a friendly smile to Kyria and says,

"Welcome".

Steve looks at her and tries to see any family resemblance to Mike... and whether or not there's too much.

He thinks, *In theory a man could make a female clone from his own DNA*

Morgan nods to Andrew, "Right oh. Let's see what we can do for him." He looks to Kyria, "Don't worry, without being immodest, he does have the two best doctors this earth has ever seen." He grins and leaves following Andrew.

Upon careful consideration, there certainly is a familial resemblance between Kyria and Michael, though not nearly so much as would be thought from a feminine clone. She smiles faintly at Morgan and Andrew as they leave, faint lines of worry still etching themselves into her face. Turning back to the others she asks, "Can you give me an overview on what is happening and what you need my help on? I know some, but not all."

At that, Ulric turns to Cody,

"Why don't you bring her up to speed."

It wasn't lost on Ulric that both Cody and Michael had felt fine keeping the secret of the aliens existance away from the rest of the group. Perhaps he might come clean with other relevant facts if as he brought Kyria on board.

Joani smiled at Ulric and made sure he kept her at his side. She was glad that Ulric brought his diplomatic and charismatic skills in the nick of time.

"You came just in time, my love. I was on the losing end before you came and saved my day.", she whispered in Ulrics ear, suppressing the notion to give him a kiss. This wasn't the right place or time to display open affection.

"I agree with Ulric. I suppose Cody is the only one who can really explain the extent of our situation."

Cody sighs but no vocal chords vibrate as he exhales.

No rest for the weary. At least the painkillers are kicking in.

*The situation. Right.*

*I'm sure you have been folowing the events surrounding the destruction of the Enterprise. What you may or may not know, depending on how much your father had shared, is that the aliens who destroyed the Enterprise were manipulated into doing so. Someone impersonated us and then used the aliens fear and aggresion to mold them into a weapon. Armed with stolen Earth technology and given the location of our maiden voyage the trap was perfect.*

*Our mysterious adversary made an error however. It did not know of us nor Lorean. Now that it is aware of the fact, and that we are moving against it time is of the essence. In..." Cody checks the time. "...6 days, 14 hours, and 37 minutes, myself and your father have a meeting with these aliens. We have been able to forestall hostilities and way may result in an armegedon level war between our races, by informing the alien commanders that both of us have been manipulated into wiping each other out. Unfortunately it was the potent combination of my interpersoanl skills and his raw telepathic power that made us so formidable at the negotiating table. If he doesn't wake up...* and Cody seems rather disturbed by that possibility. *...I may need to ask for your assistance during the negotiaions.*

*I...I truly apologize for me initial behavior. You must understand the level of stress we have all been under. In leass than a week we need to catch the bastards that are behind this or come up with some concrete evidence to share with our galactic neighbors before the staredown gets ugly.*

*Can you help us?*

Steve adds to that,

"This makes the most sense if they were manipulated by another group of aliens. We suspect this other group has resource limitations of some sort."

"The Enterprise trail led to a man in my shipyards, who turned out to be a psiad and a stronger telepath than your dad. We stopped him from destroying the shipyards and from transferring our technology to the aliens, but he nailed Mike. The guy is currently dead now, but he was just a pawn."

"Which leaves us scrambling."

Kyria nods, taking all that in. "And the aliens themselves? Do they have powers like we do?"

She was trying to remember all that her father had told her in the sporadic times they had had to spend together recently, but the drop off the emotional roller-coaster of the past hour or so had left her a bit scattered and on the tip of emotional exhaustion.

*We're not entirely sure. There are several different species that we know of and one or more that are still unknown and undefined. The Chromatics who destroyed our ship are both potent telepaths and light manipulators. The "others", the ones pulling the strings in this mystery have some kind of psionic biotech that lets them "erupt" psions with the ability to take out your father.*

*Our biggest weakness right now is our lack of knowledge.*

Steve nods and says,

"What he said. It's hard to imagine that the string pullers aren't telepaths with what they've been comfortable creating, but we don't actually know they are."

"Part of the problem is we're dealing with aliens whose mindset is, well, alien. We hope they're fighting with intense resource limitations driving some of their actions, but that's a risky statement. They may have laws and/or political concerns hindering them."

"And we have the whole resources of Earth behind us, let's not forget," Ulric adds positively.

"Their power is great, but I get the feeling that their numbers, thus their resources, are small. If not, why not create a Psion army with their technology?"

"I am curious why they haven't come after us harder than they have? They seem big on plotting, but adverse to confrontation. And, we have reason to conjecture they don't like us, because we are novas. Why is that?"

"That has to be a weakness we can use."

Archived