Aberrant: 200X - When You Make A Character, Make It Right

Warren Verona

I've been mulling something over in my mind for the past few days now and I'd like to share it with all of you. I ran it by Flicker recently and now I'm running it by all of you for your opinions. It has to do with 200X and something that is, I'll admit, a personal issue as far as gaming in general goes. A pet peeve of mine I suppose. This is not targeted at any specific players here on 200X although some are certainly guilty of this topic.

Simply put:

Unless you've written something more than a character sheet with dots on it (i.e. like a background or history) then don't bother posting a character sheet.

Don't waste our time slapping dots on a post and calling it a character. We've different ways and style that we use to make a character, some make the history first some make the character first and allow that to 'define the history'. That's all cool, but unless both are made and posted together the character is not complete and doesn't belong getting posted.

"But my characters history is super secret!"

Even our super secret Directive nova (Odysseus) who enjoys latte and a good book while checking his decoder ring new messages posted a history, a damn goos one too. So can you.

(Sheet is posted, no history) "More to some later"

No, no it's not. This is a way of buying time until we all forget that the character doesn't have one posted. You were in a hurry with an idea or to get in there 'playing' and you're now doing us all a disservice by not doing the process right.

Bottom line, history and background are part of the character creation process. If a player fails to post a sheet but not a background then they have not properly created a character in accordance with the rules of both 200X and Canon. Thus the character is not legal for play.

This may seem hash, but I've never been one to pull punches. The floor is yours players, lets get opinions on the issue.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
(Sheet is posted, no history) "More to some later"
No, no it's not. This is a way of buying time until we all forget that the character doesn't have one posted. You were in a hurry with an idea or to get in there 'playing' and you're now doing us all a disservice by not doing the process right.

Bottom line, history and background are part of the character creation process. If a player fails to post a sheet but not a background then they have not properly created a character in accordance with the rules of both 200X and Canon. Thus the character is not legal for play.

This may seem hash, but I've never been one to pull punches. The floor is yours players, lets get opinions on the issue.

I agree, and my bad.

Originally Posted By: Rena Morgan
*looks suitably embarassed* I've got the reverse of that problem with Wargear, I'm afraid: character history but no sheet yet. Mechanical problems. Still sorting them out.

Technical difficulties! Technical difficulties!

*ducks for cover*

I'd rather see a history first. It's easy to throw dots on a page. wink

Originally Posted By: Juri 'Salamander' McClendon
I disagree.

If I erupt today and no one witnesses it, then there is no public knowledge until I chose to make it public.

I shouldn't have to post knowledge that will become public later before anyone would know about it.

I believe the basic assumption is that if you've jumped through the necessary hoops in order to acquire a membership to the privately-owned OpNet site, there must be some public knowledge regarding who you are, be it real, fabricated, or secret. Someone will know something.

yes, but what if I'm only posting on the fiction boards? Obviously, if I'm posting on the OpNet boards, that is different.

That makes fine and perfect sense. I think the original complaint was more about people who show up on the OpNet forums and take part in the conversation and expect us all to suspend our disbelief about their as-of-yet-unrevealed fabulous background instead of simply asking "Excuse me, but exactly who the fuck are you?"

If I erupt today and no one witnesses it, then there is no public knowledge until I chose to make it public.

I shouldn't have to post knowledge that will become public later before anyone would know about it.
If this is true then that is what you should post.

I.e. Joe was no one special before he erupted and he hasn't done much...

Or... Not much is known about Joe (high cipher) but this is what's people know or think they know... His record has obviously been sanitized and/or this isn't his original name.

Personally I don't mind high cipher but that's not an excuse to put down nothing. Even Divis has a public record.

You know, I just went back and read the Bible, and maybe I missed it but the only thing I noticed that was absolutely required was a character sheet. Thus profiles are strictly not required.

That said, however, I firmly believe that profiles are needed, if only to help facilitate role-play and story telling. As Rev and others have said before "anyone can throw dots on a page."

Originally Posted By: Courier

If this is true then that is what you should post.

I.e. Joe was no one special before he erupted and he hasn't done much...

Or... Not much is known about Joe (high cipher) but this is what's people know or think they know... His record has obviously been sanitized and/or this isn't his original name.

Personally I don't mind high cipher but that's not an excuse to put down nothing. Even Divis has a public record.

My point isn't a sanitized record, a deleted record, or covered up record. I'm talking about someone who doesn't have one at all yet, because they haven't done anything publicly.

All I ask is that someone doesn't ream me for not posting a public profile until I start posting on the OpNet.

The point of this is to make everyone aware that when character is made you should have at least some sort of background to back him/her up. You can post info OOC with at least something that lets other players know that you're not just saturating the boards with 'dots on paper'.

Sometimes people haven't even posted with one of those 'dots on paper' characters before they're already working on another one. That's a load of crap and it's a slap in the face.

Hell, Revenant is not a known nova save on the opnet. Odysseus would have a hell of a time digging up dirt on him and he's James Frickin' Bond. I post information about my character out of respect that other people play here and even though Revenant is one of those mysterious stranger types they (as players, not characters) have some right to know how he got from point A to point B in his unlife.

Take a look at Sloppy Joe. Does Joe Character know everything they typed on that page for the story teller to review? No, they don't because they don't need to know. It's there because a picture and dots on paper would look really dumb and we'd all be asking ourselves "How did he get like that?" "What's his deal?" And then IC we'd all have our PCs react in the way based on their knowledge and disposition towards the guy.

Even though we as players may know all there is to know about a character I'd expect an RPer worth half their salt to know why information is posted on a character even if that information isn't known by the public.

I've always been the sort to expect too much from people though. I'm old fashioned in my belief that characters should have histories. Where do I get these crazy ideas?

I've always been the sort to expect too much from people though. I'm old fashioned in my belief that characters should have histories. Where do I get these crazy ideas?

I dunno, but it's obviously from some passive aggressive place for you to throw that last bit in there.

I have character histories. I don't make up a polka dot sheet and post it into the ether. But I never post more in a profile thread than would be publicly available. That's why we have them - so you as a player will be able to interact with me ICly if there is public info available on me that you should rightly already know.

Player to player - you have absolutely no business knowing the full history of my character and I have no real need to share it with you. OOC knowledge destroys the RP experience, and frankly, the less I know about your characters when I interact with them the more authentic the IC experience is.

The fact that you can see the character's sheet makes this incredibly open. I shouldn't have to write a summary for you to examine as well.

Even though we as players may know all there is to know about a character I'd expect an RPer worth half their salt to know why information is posted on a character even if that information isn't known by the public.

So now my RP ability is called into question because I object to posting my history ahead of time?

Oookay.

Archived