Aberrant: 200X - If you had to catch just one

Wakinyan

Three things are falling out of the sky.

A armored truck full of your life savings.

A bus full of nuns.

A baby carriage with newborn twins.

Which would you catch?

And yes only one, I know some of you could catch them all at once and yes I know some of you couldn't even catch a softball if thrown at you underhanded. Just one and only one, which would it be?

The nuns.

My life savings amounts to about $20, so that's out. The newborn twins can be replaced in less than a year. The bus full of adults are all thinking and feeling members of society with a lot invested in them so far. Losing them would be the greatest loss of the three.

I don't even understand the "life savings" problem. Does money somehow not survive a fall? I'm reasonably certain that the few hundo in my bank account would survive a fall inside an armored truck. Either way, it's just money, and only a truly selfish douchebag would opt to save the money, considering that for most novas, losing cash is a minor inconvenience at worst.

So then it's babies or nuns. Babies are assholes, and like the girl said, they aren't people. Your parenting instincts aside, infants are not fully-formed human beings, and could, realistically, be replaced.

Brief aside: am I the only one a little fucking weirded out that the teenage girl was the first one to thrust forth that assertion? Where the shit did you grow up, girl? Barter Town? Sparta?

On the other hand, nuns only fit the vaguest description of what I'd call "people", either. Wittingly or not, they're part of a group of some evil motherfuckers, and they do more harm for the world than good, with exceptions few and far between. They may be "thinking and feeling members of society", but then, so was Pol Pot.

Are any of the nuns young, hot, and reconsidering their devotion to the faith? That could really help tip the balance their way.

Well, the problem with the scenario is that the question seems to assume we're on the ground, and the objects are falling in a path close to where we can make it to all three, but only enough time for one.

By the time you caught the bus or the stroller it would most likely result in death for the occupants. Both would be traveling at terminal velocity and the sudden stop of catching them would be equal to smashing into the ground anyway.

If you stand there, they die. If you help they die, so why bother?

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Well, the problem with the scenario. . .

You're missing the point. This kind of exercise is not meant to represent a realistic simulation of events. It's to determine which choice you would make and why you would make it in a very narrowly-defined and arbitrary situation.

What the fuck is this "savings" shit?

I'd catch the babies. The nuns are all into god so they get to meet his ass sooner, they're probably looking forward to el splato. Babies can be kinda cool. I had a fuckbuddy who had the cutest little girl. She was sweet as hell.

Originally Posted By: Flicker
Originally Posted By: Revenant
Well, the problem with the scenario. . .

You're missing the point. This kind of exercise is not meant to represent a realistic simulation of events. It's to determine which choice you would make and why you would make it in a very narrowly-defined and arbitrary situation.

So what does everyone's choice mean? Besides the fact that no one cares about babies, save Vile-fucking-Bill of all people, and the money isn't important at all?

Tough question, especially for the daughter of recovering Catholics.

It's pretty much been established that saving the money is pointless. You can make more.

Unfortunately, you can make more people, too.

Flicker makes a good point, about the nuns being adult members of society, and the children being quickly replaced, but I look at it this way.

The nuns, if they are contributing to society (and not just their parish) are doing so only in a very limited way. Also, as they're already adults with their own habits and ideas (and devoutly religious ones at that), it's not likely they'll be doing anything significantly different or spectacular with their lives from this point on. Unless they start displaying stigmata, they're more or less set. They'll work for the Church, they'll give all glory to the Church, and they'll die (humbly) for the Church.

Their lives verge dangerously close to stagnation, to me.

I'd save the twins, if only because, being infants, they're still capable of being taught, being molded into people who can stand on their own, without living their lives in the vain hope that some invisible, all-powerful being will solve all their problems for them. Don't get me wrong. I respect the work that's often done by the nuns and priests and I think their charity is admirable, but I also think it could be accomplished just as effectively by secular groups.

Originally Posted By: Alexis Layton

So what does everyone's choice mean? Besides the fact that no one cares about babies, save Vile-fucking-Bill of all people, and the money isn't important at all?

Hey now, I opted for the babies, too.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
The twins. They might actually do something worthwhile with their lives. The nuns are pretty much the living dead anyway unless they are the mother Teressa types. No offense Rev.

Mother Theresa was a saggy-cunted sadist who squandered the millions she was given through largely crooked means, was obsessed with pain and suffering, and did little-to-fucking-nothing to help anybody. Her reputation is largely mythical. So really, when you consider that she's kind of the zenith of the species, you've got to go with the babies.

I would save the twins, because children are innocents and have their whole lives ahead of them.

The reasons for not choosing the other two are this:

-The nuns: They would look at their deaths as 'God's will'. As Jael mentioned, they would see it as a sacrafice of selfless humility.

-The truck of money: It's only money.

And we can't have that, can we?

Says the expert.

Save that I asked about what results from the game would mean instead of mocking it and playing anyway. But please, continue your prejudiced attacks against me; I don't mind being the target of your years of built-up anger against the "haves." I can rest easy, knowing that I'll always have something droll to read whenever I log in.

And we can't have that, can we?

Says the expert.

Save that I asked about what results from the game would mean instead of mocking it and playing anyway. But please, continue your prejudiced attacks against me; I don't mind being the target of your years of built-up anger against the "haves." I can rest easy, knowing that I'll always have something droll to read whenever I log in.

What color is the sky on your planet? I mean, I know that you and I don't have a common frame of reference between us because we essentially grew up in different civilizations, but could you at least muster the common sanity necessary to interpret cause and effect in a way that bears a passing similarity to the prevailing worldview?

I look forward to your eventual descent into madness. Brittany Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Dana Plato await you with open arms. Can you hear them calling?

What color is the sky on your planet? I mean, I know that you and I don't have a common frame of reference between us because we essentially grew up in different civilizations, but could you at least muster the common sanity necessary to interpret cause and effect in a way that bears a passing similarity to the prevailing worldview?

I would be very interested to hear what you believe the 'prevailing worldview' to be. I can guarantee that it only matches those people with similar socio-economic backgrounds to your own. Our worldviews are shaped by our experiences, good or bad.

But this will be amusing, so tell me, Flicker - how is my worldview wrong?

I look forward to your eventual descent into madness. Brittany Spears, Lindsay Lohan, Paris Hilton, and Dana Plato await you with open arms. Can you hear them calling?

Only a moron would look forward to a nova going mad. I thought better of you than that.

Do I amuse you? Am I your little clown? Fuck you. Fuck you in your sandy freeway-tunnel vagina.

Perhaps 'amusing' was the wrong word; I truly wanted to hear your opinion. I'm sure that it would be enlightening for me, as I fail to adhere to your prevailing worldview.

And just for future reference, I don't have sexual trysts with people I only know from the OpNet.

Do I amuse you? Am I your little clown? Fuck you. Fuck you in your sandy freeway-tunnel vagina.

"Vagina". You telling her she has a massive dried up cunt and you use the word "vagina"? Sweetness, I know you're like, a baby, but if you're gonna bitch someone out then cut the book-words.

Originally Posted By: Wakinyan
Three things are falling out of the sky.

A armored truck full of your life savings.

A bus full of nuns.

A baby carriage with newborn twins.

Which would you catch?

And yes only one, I know some of you could catch them all at once and yes I know some of you couldn't even catch a softball if thrown at you underhanded. Just one and only one, which would it be?

The carriage. The armored truck or bus would tear my arms off. Sucks the Nuns fell on a day Pax was busy waxing his skull, and I could retrieve what was able to be retrieved once the truck crashed.

I hate to say it though, but the babies are the only thing I COULD save.

If I had the power to... I'd catch the carriage on top of the bus and let the truck crash. You never said the truck had anyone inside. wink To hell with your rules.

Archived