Aberrant: 200X - Table Talk - General OOC Thread.

Mr Fox

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Aside from from a few gripes I have about all the Mega-Att 5 characters that are getting made, he seems reasonable from a legality point of view.

I hate Mega-Att 5 characters. Haaaaate them. Some hard numbers-crunching Whitearrow did only helped reinforce that for me. If I'd thought of it in the beginning, and if I could have done so with impunity, I would have capped Mega-Atts at 4, and only for one character, to boot.

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I could see playing a M-Dex 5 character, that could get interesting. A person who didn't even act human at all. Just because they are too fluid and too graceful. Honestly, M-Dex 5 would be creepy as hell unless the person with it actively resisted displaying their abilities. They actually went over it in(of all places) the Vampire: The Masquerade Player's Guide, when talking about having stats above 5.

As far as the other abilities are concerned, here we go.

M-Str: No problems with it from my perspective. If you look at "Ticket To Graceland" here on the boards, it gives a pretty good example of what it's like to have M-Str 5. You would have to be careful not to crush or obliterate everything that you cane in contact with.

M-App 5: Much like strength, in its own way, see "Ticket to Graceland"

M-Dex: See above.

M-Sta: I don't see the point of this on this kind of board, but hey. As far as why it's bad to have, I don't know why. All it would do was make it so you really didn't get hurt. Might lead to a bit of alienation, but among novas, not really.

M-Int, M-Cha, M-Man - These are the only ones I really have a problem with them being at 5 just because there is no way to really even approximate their being at 5 on the boards. M-Stat 1 is beyond human means, and M-Stat 5 is to 1 what Stat 5 is to Stat 1(Slick as shit politico vs. Biff Thuggson) Even approximating them is an exercise in futility, but whatever. If you can suspend disbelief long enough, or simply come up with a reason for your nova to 'hold back' then go for it.

Sorry for the delay. I wrote up a very nice post on the subject this morning, and then the forum ate it, and for whatever reason, any further attempts to use this site met with dramatic failure. No clue why. Chat crashed, too.

Anyway, Fool, to answer your question:

It's fine and good that you want your character to be good at something. It's fine and good if you want them to be fucking spectacular at something. Being fucking spectacular does not require M-Att 5, although in a vacuum, you could make a case for their being no harm in it.

However, we don't play in a vacuum. We play in an established canon that has hundreds of NPCs with full write-ups, and if you look carefully at those write-ups, you'll notice a sort of bell curve for M-Atts that seems to start around 0, spike at 2, and taper off to virtually nothing at 4. The number of established characters who have a M-Att of 5 could be counted on your fingers with enough left over to give someone the Shocker. So when you compare the characters throughout the established canon to your new character who has M-Int 5 or M-Cha 5 or whatever-you-like, the trend that emerges doesn't speak of a player wanting to be fucking spectacular at whatever, it speaks of them wanting to bludgeon the rest of us over the fucking head with their primacy. At M-Att 5, you have established yourself as the fastest, the smartest, the strongest thing in creation, Pax and Mal (possibly!) aside, and the reason I frown upon it is because it is not necessary.

In short form, because it's the sort of ego-stroking, powergaming, "LOLI'MTEHBESTTEHBESTTEHBEST!!" bullshit that I punish people for in TT games.

I'm sure he'd be willing to share his findings with you, or at least I hope, since I don't have his numbers. Basically what he found is the bell curve I mentioned before. There are very few published novas with M-Atts of 5, and not even as many as you think that have 4 or even 3. A M-Att of 3 is, in most cases, enough to make you peers with the highest-statted novas on the planet. Which just makes 5's even more gratuitous and unnecessary, to me.

I can see your popint, but then again we have a bell curve here as well. You can start out with 1 NP and bioluminessence and build from there or you can start at 50 and be on the higher end of things. It sounds to me like just a personal preference/style kind of thing...

What I am saying, though, is that it's explicitly not a personal preference/style thing for the very reason that this game exists in a game world that has established trends and hundreds of statted NPCs. My point is that a gallery of PCs with M-Att 5s does not jibe with the rest of the world. Someone with M-Per 5, for example, is not simply the most perceptive character on the forum: they are literally the most perceptive being on Earth, including all novas, everywhere. That's not a "style" difference.

Most people take a 5 in something simply because their minds are not actually able to grasp what a 5 means. Be it a skill or an attribute 99% of baselines in the world never achieve anything higher than a 4 without the aid of pharmaceuticals. The peak of human capability is 4 dots in Aberrant.

Now I know some cock gobbler is going jump up and say: "But I'm not human, I'm a nova!" To which I'll reply "Shut the hell up and let me finish."

Quantum powers and mega-attributes are for Novas what every day capability is to humans. It's not 'style of play", it's fact. A nova who has achieved a 4 or a 5 in a quantum power or a mega attribute is a fucking god even among gods. They have accomplished something that even other nova respect and revere.

To most players, it's just another dot, which bives them another technique in their suite , and the only reason they have a 5 there is because they couldn't have a 6.

People don't think about what the dots mean when they put them on a character because all they are interested in is being the best, most powerful, unmatched, never going to fail at a task in their life character.

Exceptions exist of course but my jaded opinion has been rooted ever since someone said their character with Temporal Manipulation of 5 just 'dabbled' and was picking up 'the basics'.

On top of that, why do characters need a 5 in a mgea att? What can you do with a 5 that you cannot do with a 3 or a 1? You've just short changed yourself on accomplishing anything that anyone would be impressed with.

Most people with an excessive amount of 5s on the sheet only have them because they have to be best at or the first with a 5. Especially in the case of mega atts. God forbid someone be faster, stronger, prettier, or able to out class them in some way.

The human ego just doesn't allow it, and gamer egos are the worst.

On a side note:

Quote:
During his assualt by the gang members, he manifested several new abilities that he hadn't displyed before. Mega Sta, Wits, Man, App, and Per as well as Empathic manip. He also generally got better in his basic stats as his body repaired itself after the damage.

Mega Atts: 15

Atts: 3

Flight: 3

Empathic Man w/Extra: 5

Total NP count now: 34

So... two fictions and he gains 26NP worth of powers?

I call... Bullshit. wink

Being beaten by a bat doesn't grant Mega-Appearance unless he has mega ugly, nor does it grant you Mega-Manipulation because if it had they would have beaten themselves and not figured out why. I have no idea where you pulled mega-wits from.

Flight I understand since that was introduced slowly and during the Borrowed Weekend. Mega Stamina sure, he was beaten so his node could react with tempering his frame.

Just thought I'd voice my opinion on that.

How about regular attributes of 5 when the person has hit superhuman levels? Bill has Strength and Stamina of 5 but he's hit superhuman levels with both of those. Am I up in the night to figure that before he can squat 2 tons that maybe he should be as strong as a human can be?

temporal Manip 5 *is* just the basics yanno...it takes one getting to Q8 before one can actually time travel...

And I dont think Fox is bullshit. Novas develop in all kinds of ways..let the man play his character the way he enjoys, hes not hurting anybody...

*takes a deep breath and counts to ten*

Re: Daniel.

Daniel started with a grand total of 10, nova points. I don't think anyone on the boards so far started lower than that. The way this game was set us was that we can raise what we want up to the cap. How many other folks started with only 10 nps?

The way I was looking at the scene is being like a second eruption. No, 'by the book' there is no such thing as a second eruption, I am aware of that, but then there's no reason there can't be either. That's how I was imagining it. If more than just Rev has a problem with this, I will retcon the scene and change it. Otherwise I won't. I may be a mod, but my characters will still be by the rules, so speak up if you have a problem with what I've done with Daniel and I'll change it.

I will state that I have no problem with how it occurred. Part of the reason that I joined this board despite my hesitations was the emphasis on 'story' over the 'rules.' The story of Daniel's increase of power was dramatic and interesting, so that is a mark in the 'win' category, because that's what is a win is to me: a good story that amuses the writer as much as the readers.

Of course, part of my amusement comes from the fact that Alice being the villian why he erupted in the first place, and his 'second' eruption was caused by her being a victim. Nice juxaposition.

Re: Daniel

Just stating my opinion, y'all do it however you want. 26NP in damn sitting is a bit damn much. If you wanted him to have all that stuff you should have purchased it in the begining.

You could have just as easily said "He has it, but doesn't know it, or can't use it."

26NPs of improvement and no one sees anything a bit skewed with that.

Whatever.

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
temporal Manip 5 *is* just the basics yanno...it takes one getting to Q8 before one can actually time travel...

You completely missed the point of what I was getting at, but that's okay because you're an idiot and fall into the category of gamers that bug the hell out of me anyways.

Originally Posted By: VileBill
How about regular attributes of 5 when the person has hit superhuman levels? Bill has Strength and Stamina of 5 but he's hit superhuman levels with both of those. Am I up in the night to figure that before he can squat 2 tons that maybe he should be as strong as a human can be?

Certainly not. Nova's seem to be more commonly able to achieve levels of human perfection with relative ease, after all they are next step in human evolution.

But as I said, most people don't understand what I'm trying to say when I explain the difference between one dot and 5 dots. It's all just another die pool it seems and the higher it goes the better.

Quote:
You completely missed the point of what I was getting at, but that's okay because you're an idiot and fall into the category of gamers that bug the hell out of me anyways.

What the fuck was that for? And here I was wondering why this board gets periodic flame wars, and you wonder why people react poorly to you.

Oh sure... You claim "I dont sugar coat" but use that as an excuse to be bellicose. There is a HUGE difference between "sugar coating" and "lets just insult someone because I feel like it."

Dude, that's kind of obtuse. Temporal Manipulation is Temporal Manipulation and Time Travel is Time Travel. Two different powers. 5 dots in one is not "the basics". It's the whole kit and kaboodle. It's mastery of Temporal Manipulation.

And I dont think Fox is bullshit. Novas develop in all kinds of ways..let the man play his character the way he enjoys, hes not hurting anybody...

It's not about hurting. It's about whether what he is doing reduces the veracity of our shared universe. Just because someone enjoys something doesn't make me or Rev a prick for disagreeing. It's our playground too.

We're in the Aberrant Universe and are following the Aberrant Universe setting.

There is no magic.
There are no aliens.
There are no "second eruptions".

Yes, it's a superhuman powers universe but bad writing is still bad writing (not directed at you specifically Fox).

Most people take a 5 in something simply because their minds are not actually able to grasp what a 5 means. Be it a skill or an attribute 99% of baselines in the world never achieve anything higher than a 4 without the aid of pharmaceuticals. The peak of human capability is 4 dots in Aberrant.

Now I know some cock gobbler is going jump up and say: "But I'm not human, I'm a nova!" To which I'll reply "Shut the hell up and let me finish."

Quantum powers and mega-attributes are for Novas what every day capability is to humans. It's not 'style of play", it's fact. A nova who has achieved a 4 or a 5 in a quantum power or a mega attribute is a fucking god even among gods. They have accomplished something that even other nova respect and revere.

To most players, it's just another dot, which bives them another technique in their suite , and the only reason they have a 5 there is because they couldn't have a 6.

People don't think about what the dots mean when they put them on a character because all they are interested in is being the best, most powerful, unmatched, never going to fail at a task in their life character.

Exceptions exist of course but my jaded opinion has been rooted ever since someone said their character with Temporal Manipulation of 5 just 'dabbled' and was picking up 'the basics'.

On top of that, why do characters need a 5 in a mgea att? What can you do with a 5 that you cannot do with a 3 or a 1? You've just short changed yourself on accomplishing anything that anyone would be impressed with.

Most people with an excessive amount of 5s on the sheet only have them because they have to be best at or the first with a 5. Especially in the case of mega atts. God forbid someone be faster, stronger, prettier, or able to out class them in some way.

The human ego just doesn't allow it, and gamer egos are the worst.

Bra fucking vo, Dave. Thank you for taking the time to articulate what I simply could not be buggered to bother with.

What's being discussed currently is one of the aspects of 2018 that I absolutely despised, and one of the reasons my participation in 200X has been waning drastically. The need for super-powered stats and abilities to either compete with existing characters, or to preclude anyone else from surpassing said characters, is ridiculous. This is supposed to be an author's forum for interesting and immersive stories- not a playground for powergamers or people who want to bludgeon people with the sheer AWESOME factor of their character. The worst part is, most of the worst offenders here don't realize or won't admit that's what they're doing.

Originally Posted By: Vivi OOC
What's being discussed currently is one of the aspects of 2018 that I absolutely despised, and one of the reasons my participation in 200X has been waning drastically. The need for super-powered stats and abilities to either compete with existing characters, or to preclude anyone else from surpassing said characters, is ridiculous. This is supposed to be an author's forum for interesting and immersive stories- not a playground for powergamers or people who want to bludgeon people with the sheer AWESOME factor of their character. The worst part is, most of the worst offenders here don't realize or won't admit that's what they're doing.

But at least we have some sort of limit this time around. It can only get so bad. You'll never have to deal with another Ultimax or Wakinyan.

Quote:
If you wanted him to have all that stuff you should have purchased it in the begining.

You could have just as easily said "He has it, but doesn't know it, or can't use it."

You're right. Make things simpler all the way around. I'll do that then.

I have to go to bed soon, so I don't have time to write up everything I was going to, but for now I'll post the "crunchy numbers" that I hit Seph with that apparently started this entire debate.

How I got these numbers: I went through all of the books (except for Expose: Aberrant, which I don't have) and counted statted-out novas only. There were lots more novas listed, but they didn't give numbers. There are two exceptions though, and those are Divis Mal and Caestus Pax. Both of them are described in some detail in WWP 1, specifically in regards to mega-attributes, so I went ahead and counted them as well.

After I counted all of the novas in the books I counted the novas listed in the Profiles section (I've had to update this count a few times since I first went through and did this, since new players have posted since then).

So, to clarify, the "grand total" number of novas was obtained by looking at statted - and only statted - novas throughout the books, and here on the 200X board.

I used this Grand Total number as a "Set" representing "nova-kind" as a whole. The Grand Total was 176 in total, which is 2.93% of the 6,000 novas supposedly running around in 2008. For comparison, if you assume 6 billion humans (just to round things out), then we'd need a "Set" of 176,000,000 humans to obtain results as comprehensive as the ones I've compiled.

A "Set" is a total number of occurences/objects/"things", and it's basically what we're considering to be 100% in this case. So if 18 of the novas in this list all share some characteristic, that equal out to slightly more than 10% of the Set we have to work with (10x18=180, 4 more than 176).

Since this Set represents all of the hard data we have to go on, as far as what sorts of statistics novas have as a group, this is what I'm using to determine how common or rare it is for any nova to have a given statistic. Basically, I'm using the 176 statted novas I have access to as a cross-section representing all of the 6,000 novas running around right now (ICly).

Hopefully that all makes sense, and hopefully I'm not wasting my time trying to explain things to a bunch of folks who already knew all that, and some more stuff besides.

The Results:

Grand Total: 176

Mega-Strength: 1: (30) 2: (20) 3: (10) 4: (7) 5: (3) Total: (70)

Mega-Dexterity: 1: (41) 2: (25) 3: (15) 4: (7) 5: (3) Total: (91)

Mega-Stamina: 1: (43) 2: (22) 3: (22) 4: (13) 5: (4) Total: (82)

Mega-Perception: 1: (42) 2: (17) 3: (11) 4: (3) 5: (1) Total: (74)

Mega-Intelligence: 1: (30) 2: (11) 3: (12) 4: (3) 5: (3) Total: (59)

Mega-Wits: 1: (34) 2: (24) 3: (10) 4: (2) 5: (4) Total: (74)

Mega-Appearance: 1: (25) 2: (12) 3: (7) 4: (1) 5: (2) Total: (47)

Mega-Manipulation: 1: (16) 2: (6) 3: (3) 4: (5) 5: (1) Total: (31)

Mega-Charisma: 1: (21) 2: (7) 3: (7) 4: (1) 5: (1) Total: (37)

Actual Count: 1: (115) 2: (85) 3: (72) 4: (40) 5: (21)

*Bolded numbers are the dots that a nova would have in the appropriate attribute, while numbers in parenthesis are the number of novas counted who had that particular attribute at that particular dot rating. The "Actual Count" at the bottom represents the number of novas who possessed one or more mega-attributes at the listed rating (so Geisha, who has two mega-atts with 5 dots in them is only counted once on the [Actual Count 5:] list).

Mega-Strength: 39.77% of novas have it. 17.05% have 1 dot. 11.36% have 2 dots. 5.68% have 3 dots. 3.98% have 4 dots. 1.68% have 5 dots.

Mega-Dexterity: 51.7% of novas have it. 23.3% have 1 dot. 14.2% have 2 dots. 8.52% have 3 dots. 3.98% have 4 dots. 1.68% have 5 dots.

Mega-Stamina: 46.59% of novas have it. 24.43% have 1 dot. 12.5% have 2 dots. 12.5% have 3 dots. 7.39% have 4 dots. 2.27% have 5 dots.

Mega-Perception: 42.05% of novas have it. 23.86% have 1 dot. 9.66% have 2 dots. 6.25% have 3 dots. 1.68% have 4 dots. .57% have 5 dots.

Mega-Intelligence: 33.52% of novas have it. 17.04% have 1 dot. 6.25% have 2 dots. 6.82% have 3 dots. 1.68% have 4 dots. 1.68% have 5 dots.

Mega-Wits: 42.05% of novas have it. 19.32% have 1 dot. 13.64% have 2 dots. 5.68% have 3 dots. 1.14% have 4 dots. 2.27% have 5 dots.

Mega-Appearance: 26.7% of novas have it. 14.2% have 1 dot. 6.82% have 2 dots. 3.98% have 3 dots. 5.68% have 4 dots. 1.14% have 5 dots.

Mega-Manipulation: 17.61% of novas have it. 9.09% have 1 dot. 3.41% have 2 dots. 1.71% have 3 dots. 2.84% have 4 dots. .57% have 5 dots.

Mega-Charisma: 21.02% of novas have it. 11.93% have 1 dot. 3.98% have 2 dots. 3.98% have 3 dots. .57% have 4 dots. .57% have 5 dots.

Totals: 63.34% have 1 dot (3,800 novs) . 48.3% have 2 dots (2,898 novas). 40.9% have 3 dots (2,454 novas). 22.72% have 4 dots (1,363 novas). 11.93% have 5 dots (716 novas).

A few things to note: Almost 100% of novas seem to have at least a single dot in at least one mega-att, so that 63.34% number in the "Totals" count (above, in the 1 dot section) might be a little misleading. The 63.34% means that's how many novas had a mega-att with only 1 dot in it. The other 36.66% had mega-atts with more than 1 dot in them (minus the, I think, 2 or 3 novas who had no mega-atts at all).

In ascending order, from least common attribute to most common, we have: Manipulation, Charisma, Appearance, Intelligence, Strength, Perception and Wits (tied), Stamina, and Dexterity.

Interestingly, Mega-Manipulation is the least common attribute, with Mega-Charisma being the second least common (not really what I expected for some reason). Unsurprisingly, Mega-Dex is the most common attribute.

This list is not as accurate as I'd like it to be as there is obviously a tendency to pubish and stat-out the more remarkable novas within the WW books. One of the most obvious indicators that this list isn't perfectly accurate is the listing for Mega-Intelligence 5. That figure of 1.68%, when applied to the 6,000 novas around the world in 2008, equals out to just over 100 novas. Clearly, this is too much, or at least, that's what we're given to believe based off of flavor material throughout several of the books.

Now I'm really tired so I'm going to go to bed. I think tomorrow I'll try and sit down and write up some of my thoughts on how to approach each of the various mega-attributes, but for now enjoy the cruncy numbers, and make of them what you will.

Quote:

Dude, that's kind of obtuse. Temporal Manipulation is Temporal Manipulation and Time Travel is Time Travel. Two different powers. 5 dots in one is not "the basics". It's the whole kit and kaboodle. It's mastery of Temporal Manipulation.

What I said was mostly tounge in cheek Bill. Although from an IC perspective I see temp manip and time travel are the same power but on different scales. Similar to Celerity and temporis for those who know about those...
Quote:

It's not about hurting. It's about whether what he is doing reduces the veracity of our shared universe. Just because someone enjoys something doesn't make me or Rev a prick for disagreeing. It's our playground too.

We're in the Aberrant Universe and are following the Aberrant Universe setting.

There is no magic.
There are no aliens.
There are no "second eruptions".

See, that right there is a very slippery slope my friend. Again it comes down to personal styles of play. Just like one table top group will enjoy playing differently than another. Novas are adaptable..thats what eruption is. So maybe it wasn't a "second eruption" but his node did react to save his ass. I bet some of the abilities he already had and just didnt know it yet. There is the genre staple of "secodary mutation" as well.

What I am getting at is that it doesnt matter how many NPs he spent. The premise from the beginning was you could increase or decrease or tweak even so long as you did it ICly. I don't think Fox threantened anyones veracity. There are other worse offenders that we talked about in chat earlier. This is one of the things that concerned me from the begining, the idea that players who prefer different types of storys are going to come down and give people shit because they would have done it differently. It doesnt help that some people here can be less than tactful in expressing those opinions.

As a style of play factor, take Ausrine. Mega Appearance 5...*someone* in the game world is going to have it. What is wrong with Whitearrow for choosing to explore what that concept means? Soooo many gamers are used to the "level 1 then grow" old school DnD approach that I think they look down upon starting at higher levels in point buy systems. If you prefer the gritty closer to human level, fine. In fact, more power to you..I love reading Odysseuses stream of consciousness. But try not to be so judgemental about the people playing in bigger leagues. If their writing sucks maybe then you can bag them, although the nicer thing to do would be to offer help and watch them get better. And if their writing is good and entertaining, then why would anyone be upset?

Or am I misunderstanding the problem???

I give up. You guys do whatever you want. The point I was trying to make has apparently shot waaaaaay over most people's heads.

It's easier than percentages, and apparently more difficult than common sense.

You all have fun.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Rev. The name calling needs to stop. Jumping TF and calling him an idiot was unprovoked. Don't be a dick. See rule #1.

I'm not changing my opinion of the guy just because you wave a magic wand. I was trying to make a point and he's admitted to, instead of offering up a point or counter point, had to insert tongue in cheek comments that were not even relevant to the point.

I didn't post it to start a flame war. I don't speak for the forum at large if he has an issue with it he can PM me.

Rev. I appreciate that you keep people honest. In fact I was talking to a friend about the situation with Daniel. I explained what I had in mind for him (second eruption kinda thing) and the arguements made against what I did with that. We discussed it and he pointed out to me that it was too big of a jump, (in much more polite terms). Therefore, I admit I was wrong. The story itself I'm quite happy with and I'm not going to change that, but I'll lower the point increase to some degree.

I will say this however. We made this board such that if you start your character at under the point cap, you can increase your points up to the cap at any time. All it takes is putting in a fiction or on the opnet that your character has learned some new power or skill. Up to the point cap it doesn't take a massive novel sized fiction to justify learning flight. One mention of it in a fic is enough, although more would obviously be prefereable. For example, Daniel mentioned multiple times that he was trying to learn how to fly and even described the fact that he was trying to do it by using his superjump to go higher and higher each time, then in the Borrowed Weekend fic he mastered flight while kissing Jael. Pretty damn good way of justifying the learning of a new power if I do have to be immodest enough to say so.

But, and I'll say this again. While that is a good example of how its done, it does not have to be that throughly written. Just putting in a fiction a single comment that soandso is working on learning X is technically enough to justify it.

Why? Because it encourages people not to bust out with all 50 points at the beginning to avoid being castigated by the other writers. That way you get 10 nova point characters writing on the board like Daniel, and thus have some variety.

As for your post regarding The Fool. Nothing in the 200x bible that says you have to like everyone on the board or even interact with them. But you do have to be polite. I don't know if TF had a problem with what you wrote or not, but he did react very civilly and has been doing so throughout this entire conversation. It was actually another writer that PM'd me complaining about your personal attack on him and asking me to step in as a mod.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
The above post.

Irrelevant. I've already said, do whatever you want, you're going to anyways.

I appreciate the backing Seph, thanks. I'm done trying to explain simple concepts to individuals who don't want to listen or try to counterpoint with facts that were not valid arguments to begin with.

Have a blast people.

In answer to Rev's original post, about what is the point of having 5 in something, I would say he is correct. Someone would take 5 in something to be the best. Moreover theres nothing wrong with that. Again it comes back to style of play. Some will favor the Perseus, mortal with gadgets level and other will be Herakles, child of the gods and strongest being on Earth.

Stop being so judgemental and enjoy your own characters. No need to rag on other peoples *preferences.*

In answer to Rev's original post, about what is the point of having 5 in something, I would say he is correct. Someone would take 5 in something to be the best. Moreover theres nothing wrong with that. Again it comes back to style of play. Some will favor the Perseus, mortal with gadgets level and other will be Herakles, child of the gods and strongest being on Earth.

Stop being so judgemental and enjoy your own characters. No need to rag on other peoples *preferences.*

Well, yes there is since other peoples "preferences" color the shared world we experience. Hence the group looking at itself to keep an eye on things. Are you such a complete reletivist in all aspects of your life?

Look Bill... We all agreed upon a 50 NP cap. No one made any rule about limiting how many dots you can buy, so long as it adds up to 50 or less. And i for one am a fan of mixed level play. Justice League, Avengers. We have Thor the god and the Hulk next to Hawkeye and Cap the supernormals.

I don't see how having high powered types interacting on the boards is bad. If thats coloring the world Im all for it. The people who want low level play can go to 2010 which is what that venue was designed for.

Are you suggesting we go and nerf people or perhaps amend the bible to limit peoples power levels? Seriously man, from an OOC perspectivre people bitching about other peoples point buys is a real turn off. Have your characters react to theirs approproately IC. If your character is too shy to interact with the Mega 5 hottie then play them that way and leave it at that.

Seriously this topic feels like so much whining.

Originally Posted By: Fox
For example, Daniel mentioned multiple times that he was trying to learn how to fly and even described the fact that he was trying to do it by using his superjump to go higher and higher each time, then in the Borrowed Weekend fic.

Flight I understand since that was introduced slowly and during the Borrowed Weekend. Mega Stamina sure, he was beaten so his node could react with tempering his frame.

Originally Posted By: Fox
Did you even read my post?

*sigh* Question is, did you read mine? Apparently not since you would have already seen that it's not Flight that I called bullshit on.

Fox, the fiction was well written, you did a great job. My beef wasn't wasn't with flight. It never was with flight.

So, just because you asked nicely, I'll explain common sense again.

Daniel was beaten. Beaten to the point of hospitalization. From a severe beating he gains Mega-App, Mega-Manipulation, Mega-Wits, Mega Stamina, and Emotional Manipulation. In retrospect I can even justify the Mega-Wits, had the boy learned to think a little faster on his feet, it might not have turned out like it did. So, let's give Mega-Wits a pardon too, you're welcome. See? I'm not all bad.

Let's review... a guy gets clubbed with a bat (for those playing the home game, that an incredibly large blunt instrument usually made from wood or aluminum and is used to hit baseballs) repeatedly on his skull and his node says:

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT! WE'RE GOING TO FUCKING DIE! LET'S MAKE SURE WE LOOK OUR BEST!"

And gives him Mega-Appearance.

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT! AS WE LIE HERE IN A PUDDLE OF OUR OWN BLOOD AND PISS LET'S LEARN HOW TO WIN FRIENDS AND INFLUENCE PEOPLE!"

And lo' God did bequeath upon Daniel who lay there quivering and incoherent the power of Mega-Manipulation and Emotional Manipulation.

I don't buy it Fox. Not that it matters, I personally do not care what you do. You have 16NPs left til you hit the cap, I hope your third eruption goes better. Like maybe lit on fire and learning Bodymorph (Electricity).

Have at it bro, the world is your oyster.

I will say this however. We made this board such that if you start your character at under the point cap, you can increase your points up to the cap at any time. All it takes is putting in a fiction or on the opnet that your character has learned some new power or skill. Up to the point cap it doesn't take a massive novel sized fiction to justify learning flight. One mention of it in a fic is enough, although more would obviously be prefereable.

Just putting in a fiction a single comment that soandso is working on learning X is technically enough to justify it.

No. If I remember correctly when Nova began this concept I was the one who brought the RP justification to the table.
Idea for Disscussion - I think advancement and character changes should be backed up with role play. If your character gains new powers or recovers from severe injuries (the type the damage attribute not health levels) then that should be backed up with appropriate fictions or something.

Now I could post the entire thing there but look at that. You know me well enough to know I'm critical enough in my opinions that "One fiction + 26NPs of advancement = A great fucking idea" is bullshit to me.

No. I'll not have my concept twisted and perverted into a reason for people to give themselves whatever the fuck they want in fourteen short paragraphs.

I have 10NPs left with Revenant, so if I post "I here Ryu knows Temporal Manipulation, I'm going to give it a try." Does that mean I can give Revenant Temporal Manipulation 2 tomorrow? Instant mastery... how awesome, because according to you that's exactly what I can do. (See below)

Quote:
Just putting in a fiction a single comment that soandso is working on learning X is technically enough to justify it.

As I said, the fiction was good, I enjoyed it, I really did. 26NPs in a single swoop with abilities gained that did not coincide with the trauma he suffered were what made me raise an eyebrow. But seriously, I don't care. I don't. I'm not Daniel's player and I have no say over the environment in which we play. I saw bullshit, I called bullshit, and the majority is that it's not bullshit.

And that's exactly why I've already had enough.

Archived