Aberrant: 200X - Novapedia - A Player Resource

Warren Verona

We all know how the profiles are done for some characters in the Novapedia format (Rev's isn't because he's mostly an unknown nova with Cipher 5). I was thinking we could do the same thing in an entire thread dedicated to people, places, events, or general bullshit we've made up either for our characters or for the 'world' at large.

It would be a player resource that would be both IC and OOC. With a glossary or lexicon of things we've placed into 200X so thers who are curious may look up things and understand what the writers are talking about if something is brought up.

A few examples:

A new corporation is introduced. The creator does a write up on the company so that other players know what it's about and may even make reference to it in their own work (maybe they even work there!). This way it sounds more like every one is living in the same world when he all reference the same material.

Who is that NPC? Click on the link in their small write up and it takes you to Flciker's profile. Oh! He's Flicker's mentor!

A new player to the forums sees us IC mention the NQA initiative. Not knowing it's in Juri's profile he/she looks it up in the Novapedia thread (although a whole section, so we could alphabetize the posts would be nice). Under the NQA post is some general information and a link to Juri's profile, taking the player right to source.

Labeling an entry IC or OOC would inform players that the creator is permitting the use of this information publicly, or even permitting the right to use said content in their own works. Or if the creator wishes to keep this information private or for their own personal use with out their expressed permission.

I hope you all understand where I'm coming from, it's early. Anyway let's talk about this and see what we get eh?

This sounds like a great idea. I'm not sure of the logistics though. Chosen would probably have to be involved to make anything like alphabetizing threads possible. I'm not sure that it is possible though under the limitations of the forum software.

What I envision is that I'll install it and press the GO button, and if people want to make pages on it, there it is. I'll check the server logs and bandwidth logs daily just to make sure I'm not blowing up my host, and that'll be that.

smile

• 2 weeks later...

Good point. Besides, it could be a great place for us to gather out own resouces, both IC and OOC, to make our experience here better.

We all have ideas, some are accepted, some aren't. The off the wall crap we're all usually able to agree on and nip it before it gets out of hand.

So what was the end result of this discussion?

I personally have an interest in such a location because it would give my character some sort of basis to work from when researching novas. As opposed to doing the PM thing and asking "what would I find"(though that is always a good option, I think) some level of general information that could be found out would be nice.

Okay, I plan on installing MediaWiki, the same software that drives the daddy of them all, Wikipedia. Those of you who don't know the wiki markup language will need to learn it. There's tutorials, and it's not terribly complex.

Could I ask you to take a look at the MediaWiki wiki and share your thoughts?

Archived