Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

Sounds like you were going for the whole Jedi precog battle telepathy? I agree with a lot of what has been said by the others. Take the mega attributes to cover the overall theme of the character and a low level precog for concentrated visions when you meditate.

Like my np40 level has me with Quantum Attunement (so I can identify), Analyze Weakness and at NP 50 I get Disrupt so that I can take all of that and by pass defenses with my ranged Teleport/Disrupt.

To me, it is not so much about the uniqueness of powers. Its how you play it. Unique structures are hard yes, but to me its about the execution/theme of the powers. Like Prime was your standard Superman kinda character but he was a kid inside. Kinda cool .. but totally the same power structure.

I look forward to playing with you if you can get another version off the ground.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I have been thinking alot about it and am willing to negotiate some possibilities.

Originally Joani said that a weakened version of precog would be fine. In this case only able to see 2 hours forward or back. Apparently he went back on this idea because precog is now no longer acceptable.

I would be willing to advance the idea of dropping precog from the characters powerset, or possibly taking a cue from Savar above and working out a more meditative/vison based verson of the power. Actually that could work quite nicely..rather than an instant power he'ld have to meditate for a period and rather than being a 2 hour window it would be more about whatever visions Joani could give.

Thats what I think has been giving him such a hard time. How can he say what is going to happen before it happens? What he needs to realize is that with precog more than any other power, he has control. I know of several STs who see precog as an excellent tool for disseminating info to the group or even getting them into trouble.

Precog is and always has been a plot device...

But again, for those that may have missed it in skimming, I could create a more limited version without the full blown precog. The one thing that really sucks about taking that away is that it hinders my plan for his modus operandi to lay traps. He still can, just not in the precision way he was going to. Instead he would rely on his tactical genius and more conventional methods of determining his targets vulerable moments..

I would however still want (UNsurrepititous) telepathy.

Alternately I have another concept wich culd be fascinating to explore but unlike my current one, it actually requires some house rule modifications that would have to be worked out with Joani and Im not even sure if I can do it to my satisfaction within the alloted points since i havent put it down on paper yet...

Oh yeah and in response to Couriers post on lethal powers, we DO have someone with Mega Str 5 in this group. Fox has Joani's approval to use TK as the equivalent to ranged Mega Str, complete with damage adds (although not to Might rolls, since TK determines his Might rating and therefore his level of M Str). Im sure he has high if not maxed Mega Dex, and is invisible to boot. I must applaud him on his incredidbly simple yet incredibly effective powerset.

30 pt version only has 1 dot of mega Dex and one dot of TK. Also, I still argue, that my reading of the rules is correct and that it is not necessary to call it a house rule. Regardless, at 30 pts he really won't be all that BA. At 50 points he will have the full 5 Mega-Dex and be really nasty. Assassination and espionage is what he is geared for, and I hope he never runs out of juice or he's gonna be in a world of hurt.

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
So I have been thinking alot about it and am willing to negotiate some possibilities.

Originally Joani said that a weakened version of precog would be fine. In this case only able to see 2 hours forward or back. Apparently he went back on this idea because precog is now no longer acceptable.

I would be willing to advance the idea of dropping precog from the characters powerset, or possibly taking a cue from Savar above and working out a more meditative/vison based verson of the power. Actually that could work quite nicely..rather than an instant power he'ld have to meditate for a period and rather than being a 2 hour window it would be more about whatever visions Joani could give.

Thats what I think has been giving him such a hard time. How can he say what is going to happen before it happens? What he needs to realize is that with precog more than any other power, he has control. I know of several STs who see precog as an excellent tool for disseminating info to the group or even getting them into trouble.

Hello Sky - I still want you to be able to participate and I can sympathyze with your troubles. I probably would've been upset myself under these circumstances. I want to apologize for all the trouble that you've been through and for me not being "strong" enough to state clearly what is a "go" and "no go" in this game. As for Precog as a variant of a Jedis Battle Meditation or like a vision after some intense meditative phase I could give it a "go". Just bear in mind that you wouldn't be much in control of what the power provides you with instead I'd give you visions which may or may not happen (depending on all the paradoxes and theories on looking to the future come with).

I would however still want (UNsurrepititous) telepathy.

This however I cannot provide you with - I will be adding it in the rules section as unavailable power.

Maybe we can settle this way?

Oh yeah and in response to Couriers post on lethal powers, we DO have someone with Mega Str 5 in this group. Fox has Joani's approval to use TK as the equivalent to ranged Mega Str, complete with damage adds (although not to Might rolls, since TK determines his Might rating and therefore his level of M Str). Im sure he has high if not maxed Mega Dex, and is invisible to boot. I must applaud him on his incredidbly simple yet incredibly effective powerset.

I don't want to open that door again. I don't care if its a house rule or whatever you may call it. I agreed to the following - I see under certain circumstances that dam adds can be provided with TK. I will judicate though which circumstances those are going to be. His TK does not equal ranged M-Str in every aspect.

I have included my rank in my character section Joani. Okay I have to ask now because everyone keeps refering to you as a guy but you the name joani is female so I feel confused when I read posts.

What is your power structure/theme suppose to be in your mind Sky? Maybe we can help come up with an alternative structure?

I have included my rank in my character section Joani. Okay I have to ask now because everyone keeps refering to you as a guy but you the name joani is female so I feel confused when I read posts.

What is your power structure/theme suppose to be in your mind Sky? Maybe we can help come up with an alternative structure?

Joani is my main and first character on this board. Actually I didn't pick the name, the character already existed and I "took over" with some of my own additions in background (coincedently my submission fitted perfectly with a NPC that had recently been introduced at that time).

To clear the confusion - I'm 32 years old, married to a wonderful woman and am Father of the cutest little boy on earth since October 2007 (I'm also not a native speaker, thats the reason I may come around a little odd at times). That should put me fairly secure in the male section. Sorry if anyone thought differently of me - I usually play Chicas on TT-games because my other passion is LARPing (mostly Vampire) and I can't play a female character there. I try to keep me entertained through diversity wink

I had to make another rules adjustment, since we got two characters with access to chrysalis I have to go back to standard rules for Powermaxing and dying for power. Else it would break game mechanics. Sorry for that and thanks to Nosferatu for pointing that out for me.

Ok - I'll be answering this one to the crowd - There are going to be XPs in this game. The 40NP and 50NP version of your characters are likely options but not "must be". Thats the reason I cannot say for sure if you should keep your xp for later use or spent them right away.

Not sure I understand. What was the question? smile

Part of what I'm not getting I guess is that experience points and nova points aren't the same...things cost way more exp (typically) than NP, especially as ratings get higher.

Though it's not a bad idea to have a general idea for what kinds of things one wants to expand on in the future, of course.

Originally Posted By: Joani Reikspar
I usually play Chicas on TT-games because my other passion is LARPing (mostly Vampire) and I can't play a female character there. I try to keep me entertained through diversity wink

Just to say, I love Vampire. Assimite for life here.

Originally Posted By: Lily
Mew

Quote:
Mew|ミュウ|Myū| is one of the fictional species of Pokémon creatures from the Pokémon media franchise - a collection of video games, anime, manga, books, trading cards and other media created by Satoshi Tajiri. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mew (Pokémon)

So if your Mew can I be Mew 2?

I sent PMs to all of you, giving you some more background infos for your characters. Unfortunately it has gotten too late today for adding the actual Starting Thread. I'll be having it up tomorrow. Enjoy the appetizer for now and if you have questions about the PMs, just go ahead.

I have to ask you to wait yet another day. Its been a tough weekend so far for me and I barely had the time to focus on the opening post. My thanks to Courier for writing that sweet Fiction - it hit the nail right on top (if there is such saying in english?).

I apologize for the delay. I promise to be done by tomorrow.

Hi everyone, and Happy Easter!

Joani has given me approval for my character though still seems a bit wary. I think it will go along way to setting him at ease once he sees my approach to playing him.

The biggest part of making this work however though is how he fits in with the other characters so I thought we could discuss that here.

I can tell you more about my character and you can write how you think we would have bonded over the last year of teamwork.

There are many inspirations to this character, but two of the big ones are V from V for Vendetta and the tarot card called the Fool.

Visually his costume is similar to Vs and he likewise is nearly always concealed behind a grinning mask. I have also mentioned his delusions which I have revealed to some but want to now make public. The basic premise was a nova who is delusional to the point that he believes all of reality is a fantasy. That the world is a game controlled by an omnipotent pantheon of players and an all-father like narrator.

While this does seem to threaten the integrity of the 4th wall I plan to inhabit him fully. In this sense while he is aware of myself and the other players he will never address us directly in the manner of other 4th wall breakers like Ferris Bueller or She-Hulk.

I plan to play it more straight actually...sort of like Neo questioning the Matrix, or the characters in the old CGI cartoon Reboot being aware of their existence within a game. I was inspired when i read the description for Delusional where it mentions characters might begin to see themselves as characters in a comic book, and combined that with my interest in the tarot, specifically for this character The Fool Card .

So those are some basic themes going on beneath the surface. It is also how he seems to have foreknowledge of events. The Fool represented a Trump Card. When played it momentarily would exempt the player from the rules of the game. All his powers are themed around this idea.

Also to keep in mind is his Backing of 5 makes him possibly the highest rank PC. Not that I intend to any kind of authority..I dont know what Joani has planned with the ranking and actually remarked to him that his Backing might represent that he is the most brainwashed by the organization. Some of his background elements support this.

Having said that it might be interesting to have the team leader be so eccentric. he is also Mega-Wits based, which I have always wanted to do and as per the description of that Mega att it can be one of the most disturbing and surreal of all nova abilities.

I will post up his actual profile once I get approved on some final tinkerings. In the meantime please discuss with me the kind of relationship our characters might have formed over the last year.

Thanks! Im excited to play... smile

This does bring up a good point.

What kind of contact have we had with each other? what kind of contact have we had with Omega? How were we recruited? What do we know, or think we know about Omega and its motivations?

I understand that my former Teragen infiltrator and I at least know of each other...but what about the rest of us? And if we do have contact, how? When? Where? Etc. smile

Sure.

She'd think you were a lunatic, no doubt...but there's a profound disconnect between what shows on the outside and what she keeps on the inside. As long as your orders were effective, she wouldn't really care if you were otherwise insane. It's not like she'd be trying to interact with you in any way other than professional, after all. smile

I wonder if that is going to be the case for all of us? Presumably we bond more as a team as the game progresses. It would make sense that as a team our relationships are purely professional. I won't be surprised if the story forces us to rely on each other a little more.

Heck even Rorshach had friends...

Sort of.

He respected them because they upheld the law...though I think he realized they weren't like him, and didn't care.

But it's not like they were buddies. He didn't hook up with Night Owl after patrolling and have drinks or anything. There was no real connection aside from putting on funny costumes and going out to stop criminals.

But Grey isn't Rorschach either. smile

Archived