Aberrant: No Fate - Table Talk: No Fate

Joani

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the background topic you mentioned that those gadgets 9which I wanted) and resources come as perks of the job. So just to be absolutely clear this means I don't need to reserve background dots for any special devices I would want my character to have and I dont need to spend any background dots on resources because the company will pay for whatever I want and kill me if I don't toe the line?

For personality, I went with the follower. She was the person in school that was always around the popular girls that did things for them and in turn was popular.

For skills, that part is unique to her. A lot of her skills came after she woke from coma by whatever organization we work for.

As for powers, this took me a while to develope in my head as something worthy of playing. But its rather simple power structure. A teleporter. I have teleport(combat), Warp and Disintegrate (linked to Teleport). The idea with Disintegrate is that I teleport chunks of their body to elsewhere. I think it will be fun. I can be the group taxi.

I am still pending approval though.

Most of you have handed in their characters BEFORE I wrote that little Setting and Background thing (which isn't completed yet, still working on some parts).

So... if you want to change some Background dots, just go ahead. I described which Backgrounds are basically for free. If you still pick those, they are a representation of your own accumulated wealth or other benefits which stay IF you should ever drop out of Omega (not in a bodybag).

I'm planning to get started on Friday the 21st. I know its over the weekend and most people will be with their families but I prefer to set a deadline, it keeps me better organised. I hope thats ok with you all.

Ask questions! About the setting, about the backgrounds, about your characters. Use the time to carve things out and keep bothering me, either here or with PMs.

Originally Posted By: Nosferatu
Did I miss the post where we get free dots of background? If we do, what are they and how many do we get?

Its my fault, I should have pointed that out more clearly.

Omega Corp provides you with money, equipment and accomodations necessary to do your jobs. Theoretically it means unlimited access, but there is going to be someone who asks questions if you request something of high value... and if you get it and LOSE it... well, I don't want to go too much into detail there, but its going to hurt.

If thats ok with you, you can reassign any dots of Resources and Special Devices (gadgets, i. e.) as you see fit. If you keep those dots than they represent anything that you have managed to put aside for your personal freedom. I can't give you a number of free dots of backgrounds because it doesn't work that way. Theoretically it would be 5 in every aspect but I decided to handle it a bit differently.

As a value of measure you can say that, the higher your Backing with Omega is, the more access you will get and the less questions are going to be asked why you urgently need an Aircraft Carrier or Battleship as a throwing weapon... +cough+

Heres a good one: Since we are effectively placed wherever we are needed for cover is it really neccesary to buy backing in our cover organization? On one hand it would be nice to have someone to turn to but as it stands it seems Omega corp pretty much trumps all the others making normal backing seem far less valuable...

???

I paid for my backgrounds, and I'm good with doing that, it'll mean they are nice and secure and all mine without owing an organization.

Devries backing: 1 dot. They don't like him as much as they should since he's picky about his assignments.

Omega backing: 3 Major.

Still Id like an official answer for that one (when you get the time Joani, I know you iz bizzy). I originally had Backing 5 with DeVries but now need double backing? But with Omega Corp having all the cards and better tech the DeVriesd thing becomes merely a story item. Is it worth 2 NPs to take 5 backing in 2 organizations when one is so superior? Im not sure...

Oh and my character seems to be getting more twisted and nasty by the moment.

A focus on Mega Wits/Dex though in this case the Dex ICly is a by product of his Mega Wits and Powers:

Precog, Combat Teleport, Surrepitious Telepathy, Creepy Feeling, Tactical Prodigy, Forsight, Intuition, Luck, Claws, Boost Dex.

Im still tinkering, working out which Flaws and Aberrations I really want and figuring out what I want to start with and what can come with xp and the higher NP versions (an idea I love btw...).

Im stoked on my theme but won't reveal it fully until its all approved by Joani. I still need to nail down his costume and such.

Also I was going to go with 6 taint but since theres no further penalties til 8 theres no reason not to start at 7...

Lastly for this post I just wanted to complement everyone on some awesome concepts...this should be fun. I really dig on Nosferatu especially since I've always been a fan of the many themes of Q-vamp and I find Gray Goo to be a pretty cool concept/build as well.

"Best Contracts" doesn't mean much if you already have Resources 5.

I'm not sure what "the agencies full protection" means since we're going to be sneaking around and not telling them what we're up to.

With Backing 3 you can buy some gear you can't with lower levels of backing, but that's about it.

Its the single most priciest bodymod.

there are 2 levels.

With the first level your vital organs become small discreet sub units. targeted attacks get half the usual damage bonus and you suffer 1 less wound penalty from wounds to specific parts of the body. ie from bullet woounds but not being set on fire or run over.

With 2 levels your whole body is undifferentiated tissue. targeted attacks do no extra damage. you also take a +1 difficulty penalty for anyone trying to use medicine on you.

The cost is high: 3 nova points or 6 xp per level. reduce cost by 1 point either way if this mod doesn't include the brain.

On the other hand at 2 levels your node is no longer vulnerable...

I was originally going to build an Omega-Red type character and was going to take Distributed Organs. Its a nice effect because no one can say do an atemi shot and cause your heart to explode. Concussions .. heart attacks .. none of that would be any concern to you and to me that is worth it.

Hmm .. I have a backing of 2 in Utopia so I am liked and somewhat trusted for a lower level position. and Technically have some other rank with O.C.? Are you going to assign us our ranks in the O.C. Joani?

Originally Posted By: SkyLion
Still Id like an official answer for that one (when you get the time Joani, I know you iz bizzy). I originally had Backing 5 with DeVries but now need double backing? But with Omega Corp having all the cards and better tech the DeVriesd thing becomes merely a story item. Is it worth 2 NPs to take 5 backing in 2 organizations when one is so superior? Im not sure...

You wont need double backing. It is more like Courier said earlier and in answer to your question. OC will provide for all the quirks you'd be looking for in DeVries (mainly equipment) and resources. Backing in DeVries provides you with better contracts meaning also that you can be more picky (if you're looking for money). Since money won't be your main objective you can neglect Backing within DeVries. On the other hand - which everyone should consider. Your job is also about infiltration and the higher your Backing is, the more dirty secrets you can reveal for OC...

So if you spend that NP for 5 dots in Backing with DeVries it will prove useful on a different kind of level - if you're just looking for the gadgets and the money, you won't need that much backing - 2 or 3 maximum.

This applies to all other affilitations btw.

@Lily - Backing in Teragen would you give more trust among the inner circle members and their splinter groups... maybe you'd be part of Nova Vigilance or the Harvesters - which could provide you with some essential insight to the Teragens goals. Even it would be a narrow perspective it could provide OC with some info they are looking for.

And yet another addendum - I'm really sorry about all this late news but I've been having so many PMs and questions that I simply forgot to add a few more info for you all to know.

I hope this'll be the last "change" you read in regards to character creation. The nature of OC sets you all within the Dark Secret Flaw range at 5 - therefore you'll be getting 5 Bonus BP to spent as you see fit. Dark Secret 5 will be hardwired to your sheets. How could that've slipped my mind?... sorry bout that again.

PS: I have all this stuff at home in german and in the process of translating it all a few details which I thought I've already mentioned I only shared with a few via PM instead of making it public for all to read. I apologize again for any inconvenience I have caused because of it. Next update about Equipment and Background/Setting will be added today.

Archived