Aberrant: 200X - Need school advice

Flicker

Hi everybody. I'd like to start by mentioning that this isn't a "poor me" post. Even though I'm having a problem and asking for advice, I'm still really glad things went the way they did. Living la vida nova is marvelous and I wouldn't go back for anything.

When I erupted, I got nova-type smartness, the kind where I know the answer before anyone asks the question, the kind where I'm thinking about the 10th layer of subtlety to a topic when most are still sorting through the base layer and a handful are looking to the deeper meaning in the second layer. But I only have my smarts when my node is powered up. The problem is that when I'm powered up, I have a really obnoxious quantum expression that annoys and distracts the hell out of everyone around me. For that reason, the school administration has required me to stay dormed at school all the time.

I thought I could handle this restriction for the eleven weeks remaining in the school year, but it's not even been one week and I hate it. I like the way I feel when I'm powered-up. I'm more agile, more energetic, and sharp as a tack. I want to stay this way all the time. Staying dormed at school is unfair to me, and it's really starting to make me emo. (And I don't like being emo.)

I don't want to drop out and get a GED. All of my friends are my classmates, and I'd miss them.

What should I do?

Well, I have a very unpleasant thought. If your flickering is causing the problem, what about a body suit that isn't attuned to you? It wouldn't flicker, and then people would only have to deal with your head and hands doing it.

It's crazy, but all I have, I'm afraid. frown

That is very unfortunate. The school should be able to make some sort of accomodation for you. They could give you afterschool instruction, or even let you test out of all your classes to get your diploma.

Otherwise, you will have to do it the old fashioned way. Study hard, get good grades, and forget you are special for the time being.

According to Ohio State Law, providing a quantum expression is not detrimental to the populace at large a nova need not 'dorm down' and is protected by laws against those who would force them to dorm down.

What you are facing is a discrimination Flicker. While they reserve the right to search your locker, tell you not to wear a shirt cut too low or what language you may or may not use, they may not tell you that you must remain dormed while in attendance at your public school.

It is the equivalent of telling a Christian he/she may not have a bible with him in class or an African American that he/she may not where a shirt depicting their home continent in colors that mimic the colors of the countries flag. The same laws that protect their freedoms also protect yours.

So far there have been similar cases in Wyoming, Delaware, and Nebraska. Unless you're causing epileptic fits, Ohio law protects you as a nova. Ohio passed their law about about two and a half years ago. Several other media events were going on at the time, like the War, the Sago Mine collapse, and Correta Scott King passing away. I'd be suprised if 99% of Ohio was aware it was even passed.

Mind you, it would take more than eleven weeks to sort the business out I'm sure... but I hope that information is at least helpful, with your superior intelligence I'm sure you could make a better argument for case than I could. Check Ohio Compiled Laws Annotated at your local library or online... everything you need should be there.

It’s over a few hundred volumes, so I can’t say I have a copy to loan out else I would.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
According to Ohio State Law, providing a quantum expression is not detrimental to the populace at large a nova need not 'dorm down' and is protected by laws against those who would force them to dorm down.

Wow, this is great for anyone to know. I should find out what Arizona and New York's laws are.

Look at the brain on you! Dead and smart - normally only found with vampires. wink

Thanks!

You're not required to dorm down, no, at least not under my admittedly limited understanding of U.S. law. But if you'd still like to limit the flickering effect, log on to the movie rental site of your choice and watch "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" with Chevy Chase in it. No, it's not a particularly outstanding film, but he does have a nice solution to the problem of his invisibility that may work for you.

Thank you very much, Revenant; that was very helpful. I'm searching through the Ohio Law online database now. I'd love to print a copy of that particular law and take it to school tomorrow. The look on Principal Mellon's look face will be priceless. smile

Originally Posted By: Flicker
Originally Posted By: Miranda Skye
watch "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" with Chevy Chase in it.

Why do you hate me? I couldn't watch more than 10 minutes. . . sick

smile

All right then: essentially, Chevy Chase uses makeup and sunglasses and either a wig or hair dye. I've never needed to attune, myself, so I'm not sure if it's possible to 'unattune' hair dye or similar.

It seems you'd found a solution you're happier with, though, so fair enough.

Revenant is entirely correct. It should be further noted that asking you to 'voluntarily' dorm down for the comfort of your classmates, if it is done by an administrator or teacher, would be illegal as well. If you require help litigating the matter, let me know and I'll direct you to the proper sort of attorney.

Or, more likely, you can make your principal's eyes pop out of her head by mentioning the words "civil suit" and not have to worry about the matter for the rest of the year.

Nova, can I hijack your thread for a moment? I'll move it to its own thread, but it's a school thing, so it kinda applies. I need school advice.

I've kinda got a different issue at school, and I don't think it's a legal one. When I erupted, I didn't get a lot of big brains (I think I got a little brain boost)... but everyone is acting like I did. I've got students trying to get answers from me, while the teachers have started "to expect more out of you, young lady!" So far, no one's moved me to an advanced class (which I might be able to handle), but the principal has talked to me about it. So far, she's not pushing for it but I saw the dubious look on her face when I said I didn't get extra-special intelligence.

Damnit, I knew that the "increased mental facilities" on the Rashoud report would doom me. >.<

Can anyone help me think of a way to drill this into everyone's heads? Um, and please no suggestions to use an actual drill. That'd be messy.

Have you tried, 'no'?

Really, it works wonders. If they try and put you somewhere you don't want to be, simply say 'no'. You reserve the right.

As for the peers and teachers, just tell them to back off and give you some space. You're not a side show, an ATM of answers, or there to make them look any better via your own accomplishments or capabilities.

You are there for an education, on your own terms. Don't accept anything less and do not permit anyone to disrupt it.

I showed the appropriate law to Principal Mellon before school today. He told me that the school board would take it into consideration at the next meeting on April 3rd, and to stay dormed at school until they decide otherwise-- if they decide otherwise.

This did not sit well with me, and by lunchtime I couldn't take any more. I un-dormed, and went to my 5th hour class. Midway through the class, Principal Mellon came and removed me from class and told me that I'd be suspended for three days.

I return to school next Thursday. frown

Rena: Help, please? I don't have much money, but I can exchange some pretty heavy-duty favors for your legal services.

Flicker, let us know how this turns out please.

Ms. Carver, take life at your own pace. You should only have to do High School once, so do it in the way that is the most fun for you.

"No" is a good answer, as is "I don't feel like it right now" and "maybe later."

Be careful about putting that "increased mental facilities" on your college applications (if that's were you are chosing to go), because you will get more of the same on almost any campus you go to.

Originally Posted By: Flicker
Principal Mellon came and removed me from class and told me that I'd be suspended for three days.

I return to school next Thursday. frown

ARGH!! That is infuriating! I wish I lived closer; I'd so cut class to sit just off school property and let you flicker away while I hold up a protest sign.

I could try flying there. I've never flown so far before. frown

Every person knows well enough that they are a unique being, only once on this Earth; and by no extraordinary chance will such a marvelously picturesque piece of diversity in unity as they are, ever be put together a second time.

You did the right thing. Enjoy your vacation.

It's law. They do not review it, they obey it.

Flicker: I'm leaving a notice in your private messages folder as we speak. As it happens, I haven't anything pressing going on at the moment, and I'm certain we can make some arrangements to see that this Mr. Mellon recieves a prompt legal education of his own.

N! will definitely pick up. I'd also advise you to call the ACLU, Flicker. They love shit like this to death. Truth is, what everyone's been saying is true: what your school board is doing fits the legal description of discrimination perfectly.

Just make sure you stay within the bounds of the law, huh? Your bit of civil disobedience earlier was righteous, but don't go and do something destructive to make a point. These kinds of battles are best fought litigiously. Making them look bad is the only way you're going to win.

Schools make special arrangements for half a dozen kids in every class. Have ADHD, or ADD? Then you get special arrangements and the teacher gives you a better seat in class, and shortens your tests and gives you study guides that the rest of us don't get. Unless Flicker actually produces light from the flickering, simply seating her in the back row of the class should have been enough to solve everyones problem. But they overreacted like schools always do, so now she can hand them their asses in court.

They make kids with ADD and ADHD take their meds. No meds = No School.

There is a solution here, but it is one the Flicker doesn't like. She could dorm. She did dorm and agreed to dorm initially for her classes. There is no medical necessity that requires her to undorm at school. Its a personal choice and one that goes against the agreement she had with the school.

I'm not against Flicker's right to go around undormed, only pointing out the other side of the argument. The more freedoms novas have the better off I am, after all.

All rights have limits.

You can't shout fire in a crowded theater.

You can't print any article you want, no matter how libel.

You can't practice human sacrifice as part of your religion.

If your Aberration harms others, the State has the right to restict you in the name of public safety.

I find it interesting that you've just compared Flicker's Aberration to deliberately provoking public panic, grounds for a private civil suit (the State has no right to prosecute libel, only a private citizen who's been harmed) and murder.

Yes, obviously, if you emit radioactive particles that kill everyone within twenty feet of you, the government could make an effective arguement that you represent a breach of the public safety. Flicker's quantum expression is not harmful to anyone who isn't staring at her rather than doing their work; you might as well say that a girl wearing brightly colored clothing to school is a distraction. And that, incidentally, is Constitutionally protected.

Flicker shouldn't have to dorm, the condition is part of who she is, just like the kids with ADD have their conditions. If the school can make special arrangements for them, then it can make them for her. Denying her the right to use her abilities is like telling the other kids they have to copy notes off the board then blindfolding them. You can't deny someone the right to use their gifts.

Originally Posted By: Rena Morgan
you might as well say that a girl wearing brightly colored clothing to school is a distraction. And that, incidentally, is Constitutionally protected.

School's are government property managed by the state they reside and therefore reserve the right to inform students of what they may or may not wear. Up to and including sending them home to change. Faculty is not required to inform any student as to the reason, only that it must be done.

They aren't protected by the constitution unless it's an issue of race, sexual orientation, religious beliefs or criminal infractions such as assault or harassment.

A student, even one over the age of 18, loses most of their rights on school property.

Flicker is a nova who was suspended for being a nova. Since she is a separate species protected by the Zurrich Accord telling her to 'be human' or be denied an education. Simply because she has the ability to Dorm doesn't mean the school has the right to tell her how and when she has to use it, no more than they can tell her how and when to use her powers. Only when those powers begin to directly affect the environment around her in a negative manner does the faculty have the right to step in and, for the safety of the students, tell her she needs to Dorm.

Originally Posted By: Everyman
All rights have limits.

You can't shout fire in a crowded theater.
You can't print any article you want, no matter how libel.
You can't practice human sacrifice as part of your religion.

If your Aberration harms others, the State has the right to restict you in the name of public safety.

It's not an aberration, and it doesn't hurt anyone. My QE is no more harmful than pink hair.

Archived