Aberrant: 200X - Second Character Conundrum

Warren Verona

I'm torn, my second character for 200X was going to be Contessa, everyone’s favorite adorable nice girl with infectious dimples and bubbly smile. Not to mention great rack.

However I had an idea today that completely changed my mind but I think it would qualify as a 'second character'.

We’ve all played split personality characters: two minds, one body. My idea is to twist that a bit into: two novas, one body.

On Reven's character sheet he has the aberration "The Shadow". No bones about it, this is the archetypal split personality, a darker side of Revenant that revels in suffering and feeds off negative emotions. The idea is simple; when "The Shadow" comes out to play (which is rare) Revenant's node completely reassigns his power set to match the new personality. Like any other nova the power set is fixed and themed. Quite literally he is a completely separate nova existing in the same body and using the same node.

My question, mostly to the moderators, is:

Would this be considered a second character in your opinions?

A few things to keep in mind:

The two co-exist and can speak with each other freely. They share the same body, memories, and while one is in control the other is only along for the ride with complete memory of the events. One may slightly influence the actions of the other while riding in the ‘backseat’ but Revenant lacks the willpower capable of influencing The Shadow to any major degree.

Telepathic scans will reveal two minds, but identical memories. The Shadow’s memories begin when Revenant dug himself from the grave.

The Shadow is not something that will not get much ‘playtime’. It is an aberration and Revenant forces himself to keep it in check.

The NPs used to make The Shadow will not exceed Revenant’s own NPs, in this case, 40. It will however advance as he does. Its theme will of course be: Shadow

It cannot exist in sunlight and is always banished come the morning.

It is not meant to be disruptive to other players or their characters; it is simply a way for me to RP a character’s darker side and how that darker side affects the maturing of his node. Revenant believes so vehemently that he sold half his soul to come back from the dead that his node literally created another half to torment him with.

So, have at it peeps, let the flame war begin.

Oh, and for the record the “Two nova, One body” idea and any and all adaptations are currently my idea as far as characters for N!Prime. Anyone creating a character that is in anyway similar to this idea will fall under “The Dick Rule” until I have had the opportunity to hash this idea out. I ask that the mods come down hard on anyone attempting to duplicate this concept because they were suddenly inspired.

It's a shame I have to put that last part there, but idea theft has happened once of twice already and I'd prefer to not be a victim of it.

I have a few minor issues with it. But otherwise, I see no problem with it.

-One: I was planning on a split personality for my own character at some point in the future. This should not subject me to the 'Dick Rule'

-Two: It seems, on its face, to be a little too powerful. It sounds like something that could occurs as taint reached a high level. It could be an aberration similar to 'Hyde Syndrome'.

-Three: Quantum energies are already harmful to the human body. To have two characters in one body, would put twice the strain on that one body. How would you resolve this issue?

Originally Posted By: Dr. Robert White
I have a few minor issues with it. But otherwise, I see no problem with it.

-One: I was planning on a split personality for my own character at some point in the future. This should not subject me to the 'Dick Rule'

I meant more or less the double nova thing Doc, not split personality. I also said "until I get this idea worked out" not "I own the rights to crazy" wink

Quote:
-Two: It seems, on its face, to be a little too powerful. It sounds like something that could occurs as taint reached a high level. It could be an aberration similar to 'Hyde Syndrome'.

This is one of the reasons I'm "bringing it to the table". I don't have to do this, it was just an idea.

Quote:
-Three: Quantum energies are already harmful to the human body. To have two characters in one body, would put twice the strain on that one body. How would you resolve this issue?

Fortunately, novas aren't human. It doesn't actually need to be explained as to how the node pulls it off. Sort of like the same way the node manipulates quantum energy yet a majority of the powers have nothing to do with quantum energies.

Welcome to the U.S.S. "Make Shit Up" smile

I think my third question was really about how to explain the fundamental shift in quantum signatures. I know it is posibble to forge and copy another nova's signature, but this would be something far more powerful if it were a power.

A second node might work, but that would also double the chances of mental abberations unless you wanted to buy Taint Res.

I think my third question was really about how to explain the fundamental shift in quantum signatures.

There is no change in quantum signature, the node is the same, the body too. The brainwaves and the memories all identical. The node just just reboots itself when The Shadow comes out, granting The Shadow its own suite of powers.

Quote:
I think he's talking about spending some of his total nova points on one character, some on the other, and some on both.

The total number of Nova points would Be 80-100. Those points are divided evenly between the 2 'characters', that reside in the one body. Only one 'character' can exist at a time.

I would say that if he did do such a character, certain basic physiological traits had to be shared by both: Quantum, QP's (powers draw from same pool), node, attunement, dormancy, and certain organic physical changes. These shared items have to be paid for twice, and they have to match. I don't think a 'reboot' of a node is realistic. (otherwise, a character who dorms, could reboot with a different power set each time he shuts off his node).

More to come as my contemplation continues.

Yes, but there's still the balance concern of "one agenda, two characters." We've seen it before, in characters that are "rivals" but always help each other out, with everything. With the body-share issues, that will be somewhat negated, but it's still a concern.

Reven, how will you actively (and proactively) combat the close tie your characters will have? Will the Shadow always be tomenting Reven? Is there a chance of teamup, and therefore an 80 NP character?

And this is not me saying, "No!" To clarify my purpose, I'm asking questions that ran through my head when I read this.

Quote:
I think its an interesting take on being able to tweak power sets at will. I would definitely check in with the mods to make sure since you would be effectively taking 80 NPs worth of powers. Im not sure how fair that is.

You're absolutely right Sky. That's one of the main reasons I'm bringing it before the players and the mods to get feedback instead of just goin on with it.

Like I said, I do not want Reven's Shadow to be disruptive to the game or other players. The Shadow would rarely come out and take control, but when it does I wanted something different from Reven and a way to explain why The Shadow has abilities that differ from Revenant. This concept was the closest thing I could come up with.

Quote:
I think he's talking about spending some of his total nova points on one character, some on the other, and some on both.

Actually, no, Revenant would be 40NPs and his Shadow would also be made with 40NPs. The cap is 50NPs, but the Shadow cannot exceed Revenant's total power, in this case he's a 40NP nova, so his Sahdow cannot exceed that.

It's one of the main reasons I figured I'd have to use him as my second character for this year. Considering how little he'll get played (he's more of a plot device and antagonist than he is an entire character) I thought I'd get other's opinions.

Revenant would not be flip floping between Reven and Shadow at will, and the two do not get to use each other's powers. That's not the point of this. The Shadow is something that Revenant resists at all costs, but when it does win (and eventually it does) it's something completely different than what Revenant is.

Like I said above, this was the best medium I could come up with to help explain that.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Quote:
Actually, no, Revenant would be 40NPs and his Shadow would also be made with 40NPs.
Hmm... is this going to take up two character slots then?

Quote:
That sounds okay with me, although granted it has potential for abuse.

That is my big conern. Lets say, for the sake of discussion, that the non-shadow Rev gets into a fight. The fight is taxing, and Rev finds himself running out to quantum points. As he runs out of QP's, the Shadow could take over, and the opponent now has to fight a replenished quantum pool. It's like having another character ready to instantly tp's in when, you run low on juice. This could be repeated until the opponent is defeated.

How would you prevent this potential abuse?

I think for this particular forum its not an issue considering all such fights would be scripted in advance. Rev would have to state his intention of pulling out the Shadow and if the co-writer(s) weren't cool with it it wouldn't happen.

To reply to Courier, i think the idea of it taking 2 slots was the point of Rev posting this thread.

Remember, there is no limit to the number of 2018 characters which can be rebooted in 200X. New characters are limited to one in the first thirty days of the era, and one in calendar year 2008.

Shadow, if approved and posted before the end of the first 30 days, would count as the character created within the first 30 days, leaving one more character credit remaining for 2008.

I am paying close attention to this discussion.

As he runs out of QP's, the Shadow could take over, and the opponent now has to fight a replenished quantum pool.

Excellent point. Revenant and Shadow both draw on the same quantum pool, so if Reven had 10QP left and Shadow took over... Shadow only has 10QP.

The node is only capable of resetting their power schemes, not completely recharging itself and resetting.

As you pointed out, there are limits to what a node is capable of. Especially if other PCs come to care for him and know, or just suddenly realize the monster within. This Reven is not a cigar smoking, ass kicking, foul mouthed, angry ball of angst. Sure, on the OpNet he can talk some smack, but who doesn't? With a Willpower of 2 he's actually quite timid.

The Shadow is a force of pure negative emotion, that's some scary shit to let out on the streets of New York.

Quote:

"The Dick Rule", that's why we have it. I'm subject to being called out on BS plays and moves just as much as the rest of ya.

I may not get along with everyone all of the time, but when I write fictions with people (even if I'm mad at them smile )I respect them, and their characters. Considering Shadow will get such little play time it's an interesting idea to toy with and something to spread a little fear in the hearts of novas who come to know Revenant and then see what lurks within him.

A slew of collaborative plot lines can be made around one shift into The Shadow. And all Revenant can do is watch idly from the back of his own mind.

It's akin to the vampire's 'Beast', the werewolf's 'Rage', the Care Bear's 'Stare'. A force he battles against to help maintain his sanity.

I did something similar with Ausrine and Kazuo, so I personally don't see a real problem with it. I do think that The Shadow should probably take up one of the "new character" slots. As Nova pointed out Revenant, you would still be able to reboot Contessa like you were talking about above. I know it's probably not real satisfying to use a character slot to create a character who will only get limited use, but 40 extra NPs is a lot, no matter how they're getting spent or on what.

Also, there would definitely need to be some sort of defined mechanic for how and when The Shadow appears. Also there needs to be some kind of solid explanation for how the Shadow can be wherever Revenant is without people seeing this other guy tagging along right behind him. If The Shadow has taint 8 and a permanent power that makes him incorporeal or something that would be pretty cool - like if he literally was Revenant's shadow (I don't know how you're actually planning to do, just sayin' that would be cool).

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Originally Posted By: Soma
I know it's probably not real satisfying to use a character slot to create a character who will only get limited use, but 40 extra NPs is a lot, no matter how they're getting spent or on what.

I don't mind in the slightest. smile

Quote:
Also, there would definitely need to be some sort of defined mechanic for how and when The Shadow appears.

The Shadow will have and 'Angst' attribute. 10 boxes, like temporary taint. As Revenant fights the Shadow it gains more and more Angst. When the meter hit 10 the Shadow comes out to play. Usually until morning, since direct sunlight banishes it, but for the sake of plots and story lines other players and I can determine events which the Shadow is permitted more stay time.

Once he is let out, it resets to 0 and th process begins again... eternally.

Quote:
Also there needs to be some kind of solid explanation for how the Shadow can be wherever Revenant is without people seeing this other guy tagging along right behind him.

Only one can be out at a time. If The Shadow is out then Revenant is forced to the back of his own mind. They can speak to each other at all times, and telepaths can hear them, but only one may control the body at any given time.

Quote:
If The Shadow has taint 8 and a permanent power that makes him incorporeal or something that would be pretty cool - like if he literally was Revenant's shadow (I don't know how you're actually planning to do, just sayin' that would be cool).

The Shadow's taint cannot exceed Revenant's. Most attributes are linked like taint, Quantum Score, and Quantum pool these would be shared by both.

Attributes and skills must all remain the same number of dots. So, Reven has 12 dots in his physical attributes. Shadow could distribute his attributes any way he likes (during character creation only, then they're fixed), but they could not exceed 12 total dots in his physical atts. The node can't give The Shadow more than what Revenant has to give it.

That make sense?

Advancement would work the same, if Reven gained a level 2 power or dot, the Shadow would also have to gain a level 2 power or dot. If Revenant gained a dot in a social attribute, The Shadow has to take one there too, it just does not have to be the same social attribute or power.

At it's core, Revenant's Shadow is nothing more than Revenant himself. It cannot advance itself, it needs Revenant's permission to get stronger and it can never be more powerful than Revenant himself because they're the same person.

While The Shadow may be self destructive negative emotions, it knows that if it kills Revenant, it dies too. One will never be in 100% control, and there can be no 'getting along' only temporary, and very rare, 'cease fires' for the sake of self preservation. This doesn't mean they can flip-flop. The Shadow cannot come out until its angst is at 10, and only incredibly strong negative emotions (ie plot driven reasons) could force a change before its time.

I hope I'm helping everyone understand the goings on of my mind. smile

That is my big conern. Lets say, for the sake of discussion, that the non-shadow Rev gets into a fight. The fight is taxing, and Rev finds himself running out to quantum points. As he runs out of QP's, the Shadow could take over, and the opponent now has to fight a replenished quantum pool. It's like having another character ready to instantly tp's in when, you run low on juice. This could be repeated until the opponent is defeated.

Abby combat tends to be brutal and short, and I suspect that if one character died so would the other. This is more a disad than an advantage, with two character slots you can only have one fight but you risk both.

By unanimous decision of the moderators, Revenant's idea for The Shadow is approved as presented. The Shadow will use the character credit allotted for the first thirty days of the new era, and one new character credit for calendar year 2008 remains.

Archived