Nova OOC

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Anonymous
Okay, so like.. I know that when I see a nova I totally freak out.. usually in the good way. I mean, its not everyday that I see a nova!

What about you? When you see.. like.. André Corbin walking down the street, are you nervous to speak to him? Do you even want to speak to him?

I would hope that doesn't happen when someone sees me. I really don't feel any more special than anyone else. I'd be pretty embarrassed (maybe even concerned or possibly worried) if someone gazed at me like some sort of goddess incarnate.

I think it's important to remember that at one time we were like you. living day to day in a mundane world. Then one moment providence decided to shuffle the deck on us.

That's where we are now. I can understand admiration or awe that someone like our kind exists, but still. Remember where we all came from.

...a simple hello would suffice...

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

A traveling ventriloquist came upon a New Zealander on horseback in the outback, and thought to have some fun. He said to the New Zealander's horse, "And how does your master treat you?"

The horse "replied," "Oh, very well."

The Kiwi's jaw dropped. Of the New Zealander's dog the ventriloquist asked the same question.

"He treats me very kindly," the dog "said."

Then the Kiwi said, "Don't be talkin' to those sheep, there. They're all a bunch of liars."

Guest Anonymous

A traveling ventriloquist came upon a New Zealander on horseback in the outback, and thought to have some fun. He said to the New Zealander's horse, "And how does your master treat you?"

The horse "replied," "Oh, very well."

The Kiwi's jaw dropped. Of the New Zealander's dog the ventriloquist asked the same question.

"He treats me very kindly," the dog "said."

Then the Kiwi said, "Don't be talkin' to those sheep, there. They're all a bunch of liars."

Well, I suppose as long as you're in a consensual relationship with the officer in question there's no harm in it.

While the court system may be flawed it's the best thing we have. Lex Talionis sure didn't go very well. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

Well, I suppose as long as you're in a consensual relationship with the officer in question there's no harm in it.

While the court system may be flawed it's the best thing we have. Lex Talionis sure didn't go very well. An eye for an eye leaves everyone blind.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Mister B

What was it like when you erupted? I hear that some people get really sick and have killer headaches and others are just fine. Do they know why it's different for some novas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Guest A Citizen

You know, you turn on the news today and pretty much all you see is novas.

Singing novas. Political novas. Strong novas. Weak novas. Smart novas. Flying novas. Teragen novas. Utopian novas. Elite novas.

The entertainment industry is fucking dominated by novox singers. Ever tried getting a job as a baseline musician? It's not a matter of how good you are, there's a glass ceiling. Even Kanye fucking West is severely limited in his venue choice. The old musicians, the rich baselines, they make money off royalties off nova covers of their songs and a few faithful fans.

It's happening slower, but the baseline military and police are becoming increasingly irrelevant in the face of nova superiority. What can a guy with an assault rifle do against someone who can become intangible and make you hallucinate? Or is strong enough to rip apart a tank with one hand? Or...you get the idea.

If it wasn't for the few checks and balances in place, and natural human suspicion, novas would dominate the political arena as well, and as people become more used to novas, and more accepting of them, I see those suspicions and checks and balances evaporating like they never were.

I said all that to say this: novas are superior. Obviously superior. Only an idiot could deny it. Not ethically, or spiritually, if you can even quantify such a thing, but in their capabilities they have the potential to far outclass baselines, a potential that is very often realized.

Is there a place for homo sapiens sapiens in the brave new world?

The answer staring me in the face every time I turn on the television: no. We are outdated. Irrelevant. Our only possible use is breeding more novas, because novas themselves are sterile.

Of course, just because a thing is doesn't mean it should be. And at the moment, baselines still hold an advantage. We have numbers, we are well entrenched in our systems, and we have had the vision to harness novas for our own use. But...

I don't think it can last. I think eventually you will wake up and realize your power, and throw off the shackles of humanity. It's already happened with the Teragen. And it's not a matter of being a good person or fitting into baseline society or any of that. It's about having power. Power begs to be used.

Right now we're novas' masters, or at least equals. But some nova out there outclasses the best and brightest baseline there ever was in his field and probably several others.

Does the Church of Michael Archangel have a point?

Not about the religious element...but novas as a threat to humanity. Even if we're able to work out an equal partnership, what can humanity offer? There's novas out there for everything. And they aren't quiet about it.

It makes me nervous.

In a very real sense, novas rule the world. You rule the world. Not as an individual, but a collective. Congratulations. You got a ticket to Club Novus.

Now what?

Up to you.

Us being here doesn't make you redundant except in your own fears and insecurities. Your place in this world is up to you to find, unless you're handing that responsibility to us as well?

Didn't think so.

Problem is, people are looking at us and saying "Oh, I can't do what they can, so anything I might achieve is worthless." Nice, so give up sports just because you can't throw a pass like the star quarterback or bend it like Beckham too, while you're at it.

The Church of Michael Archangel do indeed have a point: it's on the top of their little heads. All their hate rhetoric and fearmongering is just that.

Are you equal to us? Probably not in the long run.

So what? Does it matter? Really? Do you wake up in the night sweating just because I can lift a tank, or Knockout can make 10 year old boys spontaneously enter puberty by flying past? wink

Worth isn't just in cold achievements. It's in the niche you make for yourself. So in 100 years time, maybe we'll all be novas due to natural selection: some baseline sperm and eggs don't get used because we make better mates. So what? It's the way things go.

And unless humanity does something REALLY stupid like declare war on novas, it'll be a peaceful and happy transition in the history of the Homo gene.

We've seen this before, you know. There are always people in a position of power, and some of them will choose to lord it over those less fortunate. But you're letting your insecurities blind you to the potential novas and baselines have of working together to create a better world.

Take it from someone who, a year ago, had trouble going to the bathroom by herself: it's not what you can do that matters, so much as what you choose to do.

It's remarkable to think, but the vast majority of people in Western society think they'll be rich within a decade, when statistically it's very unlikely. There's a strong tendency to grade your worth by how close you are to the top of whatever scale you judge yourself by, when really we should be judging ourselves by how much we have improved over ourselves. Competition is only healthy to a point. Learn to accept the cards you are dealt, and play them as best you can.

Guest The Wonderful Rambo
Originally Posted By: Vixen
Take it from someone who, a year ago, had trouble going to the bathroom by herself

Oh, that's FUNNY laugh

It's not what you can do that matters, so much as what you choose to do.

Speak Engrish much? It's not what you can do or what you choose to do, it is simply what you do.

It's remarkable to think, but the vast majority of people in Western society think they'll be rich within a decade, when statistically it's very unlikely. There's a strong tendency to grade your worth by how close you are to the top of whatever scale you judge yourself by, when really we should be judging ourselves by how much we have improved over ourselves. Competition is only healthy to a point. Learn to accept the cards you are dealt, and play them as best you can.

No. You are wrong.

To extend your halfwitted metaphor, we make our own cards.

The scales are arbitrary and the cards imaginary. Choose a scale, select a convenient hand of cards and pretend those were the ones forced on you by chance and circumstance. Then go as far along that scale as you can, till you hit a wall or die.

The scale doesn't matter and neither do the cards. Only your own will to power.

To address the original poster: it's not about novas. It's about humanity. The struggles of novas are merely the struggles of humanity, exalted and writ large. Crack open a history book; original things only happen once and we're running out of them.

• 5 months later...
Originally Posted By: A Citizen
You know, you turn on the news today and pretty much all you see is novas.

Singing novas. Political novas. Strong novas. Weak novas. Smart novas. Flying novas. Teragen novas. Utopian novas. Elite novas.

The entertainment industry is fucking dominated by novox singers. Ever tried getting a job as a baseline musician? It's not a matter of how good you are, there's a glass ceiling. Even Kanye fucking West is severely limited in his venue choice. The old musicians, the rich baselines, they make money off royalties off nova covers of their songs and a few faithful fans.

It's happening slower, but the baseline military and police are becoming increasingly irrelevant in the face of nova superiority. What can a guy with an assault rifle do against someone who can become intangible and make you hallucinate? Or is strong enough to rip apart a tank with one hand? Or...you get the idea.

If it wasn't for the few checks and balances in place, and natural human suspicion, novas would dominate the political arena as well, and as people become more used to novas, and more accepting of them, I see those suspicions and checks and balances evaporating like they never were.

I said all that to say this: novas are superior. Obviously superior. Only an idiot could deny it. Not ethically, or spiritually, if you can even quantify such a thing, but in their capabilities they have the potential to far outclass baselines, a potential that is very often realized.

Is there a place for homo sapiens sapiens in the brave new world?

The answer staring me in the face every time I turn on the television: no. We are outdated. Irrelevant. Our only possible use is breeding more novas, because novas themselves are sterile.

Of course, just because a thing is doesn't mean it should be. And at the moment, baselines still hold an advantage. We have numbers, we are well entrenched in our systems, and we have had the vision to harness novas for our own use. But...

I don't think it can last. I think eventually you will wake up and realize your power, and throw off the shackles of humanity. It's already happened with the Teragen. And it's not a matter of being a good person or fitting into baseline society or any of that. It's about having power. Power begs to be used.

Right now we're novas' masters, or at least equals. But some nova out there outclasses the best and brightest baseline there ever was in his field and probably several others.

Does the Church of Michael Archangel have a point?

Not about the religious element...but novas as a threat to humanity. Even if we're able to work out an equal partnership, what can humanity offer? There's novas out there for everything. And they aren't quiet about it.

It makes me nervous.

In a very real sense, novas rule the world. You rule the world. Not as an individual, but a collective. Congratulations. You got a ticket to Club Novus.

Now what?

Wanna hear something funny?

I could have written your post just a few days ago. I'll bet I could still write some parts of it.

Then I Erupted right before the plane I was on crashed. Me and a little girl I was carrying survived. The reason the plane crashed (they say) is because there was some cock-reaming Teragen wannabe on board who was fleeing the authorities, and apparently he didn't have such hot control over his powers. His accidental outburst made the plane crash, but it also may have triggered my Eruption.

So who knows? Maybe if we wait long enough, everyone will be a nova. Up to you if that's a good or a bad thing.

Not true. The eruption curve does not support the proposition that we are all going to erupt. Novas will remain a very small, but important, element of the population for some time (two to three decades at least).

Welcome to the Existance that is Novadom.

• 2 years later...
Guest HaveYouSeenLivy?

Hello, Ask a Nova. I know this isn't the usual question you guys get asked, but I don't really have the resources to go through someone like NovaCom. Is anyone here a postcogniative (the one that sees the past), and if they are, can I hire you for an hour or two? My daughter is missing and if a nova can go to where she was last seen and maybe see what happened, it might give the police another lead. I don't have enough money for a full retainer or anything formal.

I apologize if this is inappropriate. I just don't know where else to go and she's been missing since October. Thank you for your time.

D. Jenings

Archived