Trinity Universe: The Novas at the End of the Universe

Drew

Sorry Sky, but I have already written up my character background. He went into cryostasis in the late 80's because he was dying of malignant lymphoma. It was part of what was responsible for the way he erupted. I could not change his story, without drastically changing the character.

Nothing says that he still couldn't leech off your radiation. For Sullum to do so, will cost quantum, so he'd need to grab some of that too.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah shit...yea... forgot about the n day thinkg happening while we were asleep. Doesnt make a difference though...he could still have woken up in a crater. And if people were doing experiments on making cyborgs Im sure they could have been doing other stuff as well. I still need to tweak it a bit. Honestly its not the most "interesting" choice of powers....basically a walking tank. But we don't have a blaster in the party and Ive never really played one before. Still working out the taint issues. Again being so dangerous with taint is isolating but presumably everyone here has adaptability so its more flavor for the story.

I thought the premise was that there were no baselines, no other novas. Just us. It has been said about aliens though. Some of them might be harmed and that would make things awkward. Hmmm...maybe I should come up with something else. Then again I always imagined this character in a containment suit or dormed.

I have always wanted to play this kind of character though...a being of raw channled energy but its radiation so it fits with the kind of hard sciene real world feel of aberrant. I mean in RL if someone could project quantum energy it probably *would* be radioactive. Not so much though with plasma and lasers.

I sent my Character to Drew - do you want me to sent it to you again? I mean to Alex_OOC?

And I wasn't quite sure about one thing. I had asked if it'd be ok if Fox and I had some background ties but you mentioned something about us being completely independent of each other. Whats your call on that?

Right! Lets discussd background ties more. Alex/Drew...what geographical area on the planet are we on/were we from, or does that not matter? I suppose if we were all to have known each other before hand that was the idea but that means either playing people with global connections or being from the same spot. As for me I am playing a character with amnesia.flashbacks, so maybe someone here wants to know more about me than I know about myself?

I was planning on being one of Fox's scientific objects. Maybe he was just part of the team of scientists who built parts for the cyborg (which have never come to use, since she erupted during the procedure and was put on ice then). Thats roughly the idea behind the connection I had. So its not like we know each other like best friends.

As for the others - I can't say much, but she was an CIA-Agent before she volunteered for the project. Who else comes from that direction?

Heres an idea/thought. Would it irrevocably damage the story/idea if we weren't actually "Novas" at all? Like what if Joani's characters really *is* a cyborg? And Sullum is a mutant, and my character is Kundalini gone wrong?

Just an idea, but seemed compeeling enough to mention. Might lead to more complexity in the story and of course, rules would still be the same. For example Quantum and Node for Joani would be like her batteries or reactor or somesuch. Just saying since we are throing out everything else canon...

It's an interesting thought, though there would have to be a lot of consideration put into the various repercussions of it and what the other stats would represent. (Taint's a big one. Sure, you're a mutant cyborg Kundalini, but what about the people that aren't so far away from the typical nova idea?

Originally Posted By: The_Fool
typical novas=mutants a la x-men or post apocalyptic stylie. taint isnt a big deal..mostly its just mutation, special features with a point break. No baselines=no social penalty. Viva la Freaks!

You are a bad man, SkyLion, just letting you know.

I should add that the thing that made me think of this was Joanis character. I can see in a canon setting someone erupting as a cyborg for psycholiogical reasons but remove the canon part of it and it just seems silly. Seems way cooler to me if she is an actual cyborg.

I got that part Fox. I was saying it would be cooler if we were all really what we think we are as opposed to just novas simulating things. I think the point is that since we dont know whats the difference? But I like it it. Like in the Authority: Engineer is powered by nanites. Hawksmoor is a product of alien tech, the Doctor uses a form of magic etc...

Concept: Trustafarian Adventurer/Kundalini Gone Wrong.

Name: Serge

Nature: Explorer

Background: The wealthy scion of old money, Serge eschewed the hollow pleasures of his inheritance in favor of a life of spirituality, travel and philanthropy. As an adventurer, he visited some of the most rugged and remote areas on Earth on every continent. Praciticing yoga, meditating, visitng holy sites, and connecting with indigenous people are what gave him joy.

Upon waking up naked in a gigantic crater, the only clues to his identity came in the form of a somehow preserved copy of the Bardo Thodol, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, signed inside the cover: "To Serge. May the Clear Light always Illuminate your Path. Love, Marianna." He remembers nothing initially, experiencing intermitant flashbacks triggered by certain locations and/or people in the ruins of Earth.

Anyone care to be connected from the past with Serge?

For Drew: Do you need more detail on his old life than what I shared here?

The impression I get is that Drew has something specific in mind for the circumstances we find ourselves in upon awakening.

Maybe it'd be best to avoid incorporating that moment into our character histories until our GM chimes in on the subject. smile

I already told him about the wakes up naked in a crater thing and he made no mention otherwise. If its a problem I can change it.

In any case, were you going to answer my question Lily? Can you see us knowing each other from the before-time, in the long-long ago? smile

My character comes from Money, and lived with a toe in that world. Mostly he used his money to travel around the world and help indigenous peoples. He could have met high class types through various parties, trusts, or fundraisers during his brief stints in the 1st world.

Can other people post up their backgrounds to help coordinate? Hmm...we need a Meet the Characters topic...

Well, my character, Nathan Collins, is a foreign national from England who's studying abroad with MIT. He's a gifted engineering student who delights in the creation and programming of robotics, computer systems and so on. He's from a working class family over the pond, and made his way through higher education with merit-based scholarships.

As such, he tends to moonlight in dives and associate with ne'er do wells. smile

I will be playing Sullum e Nemo (Latin for Someone from no-one).

Born Christopher Rooney, he was a business Administration graduate who wished to be a wealthy philanthropist. Moderately bright, he was a happy young man who enjoyed life and did everything with zeal. Because he was not an A-type personality, however, he had to compensate. He therefore spent countless hours in the gym, not so much for the health benefits, but to foster business contacts to help him move up the corporate ladder.

If I remember correctly, all the characters were to be associated with one another through a university or business.

Ah yes! Well, I pulled MIT out of nowhere. Nathaniel could easily be studying abroad somewhere else.

For visual and audio reference, and because I know he can play the sort of semi-manic zeal I want for Nathan, I recently decided Nathan will be played by David Tenannt. smile

Ok, since everyone has given a small sketch of their backgrounds - here is mine.

Dana Invier (pronounced french)

Former CIA-Agent got almost killed during a mission when a bomb went off which she was supposed to locate in time and disarm. She barely survived and lost basically her right body half (eye, arm, leg with parts of her hip). Her career was over and her llife basically, too.

Then she got approached by the Research and Science Division of the CIA - they were looking for a volunteer to create a human/cyborg hybrid using very advanced technology. Hoping that this would give her another chance to particpate in life again Dana volunteered without hesitation. During the complicated process of the operation something unexpectad happened (I'm leaving this part open to whether she erupted during the operation or something else happened). She was sent into cryostasis to take care of the problem at a later point once they found a solution to the problem.

I got to check back with Fox to see if our backgrounds can be tied at one point (i. e. him being one of the scientiests when something went wrong)

Originally Posted By: Lily
Ah yes! Well, I pulled MIT out of nowhere. Nathaniel could easily be studying abroad somewhere else.

The greater Boston area has more colleges and universities per unit area than (I think) any other place in the USA. There's plenty of room for connections just based on geography.

Ya know...that kind of advanced cybernetics could easily be technology Nathaniel was involved with. He might not have known exactly what it was going to be used for...but developing strong, tough, articulated limbs along with programming to translate neural signals into movement commands would be right up his alley.

Archived