Trinity Universe: The Novas at the End of the Universe

Drew

Here I am again, with another game idea. It's Aberrant, and I'm pretty psyched about it. The idea, though perhaps tough to pull off, has some merit, and the idea is:

What if some novas, frozen in stasis for reasons they remember not, woke to a dead world in a dead solar system in a dead galaxy in a dead universe near the end of said universe?

Not as angsty as it sounds. Promise.

Now the main question on these novas minds is gonna be, what the hell happened? Why was I out? They don't know.

What happened to everyone else? Don't know.

Is there anyone else out there? No idea.

Are we stuck with each other for all eternity or until the universe ends? Maybe. It kinda looks like we're gonna be bosom buddies for a while, at least.

Character creation rules: 50 NP, beginning Quantum cap at 5, no level 4 or 5 powers EVER, beginning Taint cap at 8. Beginning Willpower is 6. And obviously backgrounds are gonna kinda be...nonexistent, for the most part. Also, the novas are not going to know that they are novas, or that there are such things as novas. One day human, next day kewl powerz on a dead planet. "I'm Bob from across the street," not "I am Dr. Destructor, fell Harvester of the Teragen." And all the other novas are going to know Bob. Everyone will know everyone else from 'before', let the relationships be what you want, I care not. If you really wanna play the lone wolf, I guess we can figure something out, but it makes things easier if everyone has history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_death_of_the_universe This may be helpful. The players will be waking up around the time when planetary orbits are getting wonky. And keep in mind my understand of physics and astronomy's pirty basic.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be, but what are you going to build society with? It's just you guys out there. I guess over time you could have kids, what with no Utopia...

What can I say, I like certain themes above others.

Basically, one day you have a normal mundane life in a normal mundane world with no novas. Last thing you remember is going to sleep on August 1, 2002 and waking up god knows when on what is presumably Earth. A dead earth with nobody on it but you and the other characters. And yes, I know that might not sound too interesting. It's a game where the PC's act instead of being acted upon, and that may make it seem like there's nothing to do. It's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but as a player I see many, many plotlines. You search for life, possibly beyond the solar system or galaxy. Will you find it? Who knows. You try to live with each other. You try to figure out what the fuck happened. You try to resurrect society to the best of your ability. And remember, these novas will be fertile, if you wanna play that long or jump ahead that much.

Actually, in this scenario, you don't need a common background. The common thread is that all of us went to sleep on 10/01/02 and woke up sometime much, much later. We don't have to know each other, or even be from the same place, I'd wager. Part of the inherent dynamic (if I'm interpreting Drew's posts correctly) is learning to live and work with each other.

I was thinking of a rich business type who had paid to put himself in stasis, due to disease. He erupted while in stasis, and it wiped all his memories. When he wakes, to a dead world, it is all he knows of existence.

The others could know him as a wealthy alumni and donor to the university. Or investor to the business.

I just sent my Characteridea to Drew - once he approved it I'll share it with you smile

I could share a common background with some of you or not, thats one of the flexible facts in my background. Once Drew told me its ok, I can see who could fit into the background and who doesn't - I like character links smile

Originally Posted By: Velvet
Actually, in this scenario, you don't need a common background. The common thread is that all of us went to sleep on 10/01/02 and woke up sometime much, much later. We don't have to know each other, or even be from the same place, I'd wager. Part of the inherent dynamic (if I'm interpreting Drew's posts correctly) is learning to live and work with each other.

Point. I'd like some sort of link all the same if you can work it in.

ok - I'll be adding my background later here (going to the cinema soon) and then you guys can figure out where to find links. I already got a few ideas and will add those to my background, too.

@ Lily & Andrew - as far as I know Drew didn't mention anything about a player limit... yet.

Originally Posted By: Andrew Murphy
...does anybody already have dibs on the Telekinetic Theme?
Originally Posted By: Lily
I wanna do my matter creator, actually, if there's no one's foot in that pond already. smile
That's a point. Broadcasting your power theme is *extremely* important in a game like this, 50 points, there's a lot of potential for over lap.

There's also a character concept or two that pretty much *must* be played. I'd put matter creation in that catagory.

Agreed, discounting Megas all of my powers will be tied logically to TK use. So basically TK, Flight, force field and/or Invul: Physical, TK-bolt, Claws, Deflect, possibly something like Molecular Manip and/or EA/EM: Kinetic Energy, etc etc

Basically I've always wanted to make and play somebody with Pax's powerset but because of Pax ... well it had been done in 90% of settings

Question...is there an incentive to have low taint other than concept and/or aberrations?

There's no baselines around to interact with, so the social penalties are moot.

Not that I'm angling for 'permission,' or anything...I'm just sort of curious if I'm missing something.

ok, I'm back from the movies smile

My character is a former CIA agent who volunteered for a scientific experiment using advanced technology. Basically they wanted to build a Cyborg capable of intruding into terrorist cells and either assume a position or get rid of a target.

During the process she erupted - unfortunately before any operation has actually been made BUT she believed everything went as planned. Since they couldn't control her and didn't know what went wrong they put her in stasis until they came up with a solution what to do with her.

Next thing - the big bang - either forgotten or left unresolved by the CIA she awakens to the End of the Universe wink. Thats the basic concept.

Powerset:

Bodymorph: Liquid Metal (permanent)

Cyberkinesis

Matter Creation (currently limited to herself i. e. her body / think Terminator 3)

Shapeshift (limited to things she touches and which she has data of which at gamestart will be rather a small selection / think Terminator 2)

Quantum Conversion (Electricity)

Mega-Sta (Regeneration, Adaptability)

Mega-Per (EM-Vision)

Mega-Int (Eidetic Memory)

Mega-Wit (Lie Detector)

Does anyone want to be one of the scientists of the project wink ?

Well, none of us have erupted prior to passing out for all time...so I don't think I could be...

Curiousness; the GM mentioned none of us -know- about novas either. I'm not sure there's an "N-Day" event in this game's timeline. Perhaps a clarification from the GM is in order.

Archived