Aberrant: Dead Rising - OOC Stuff

The Fine Balance

As I've noted in my other games, I seem to have worked out my schedule, and Update Day is Sunday. So be sure you've posted by Sunday if you want to get anything in before I post again. I'll move PCs as necessary to push plot along, just so you're fairly warned.

I'm not asking for a role-call - I can see by whose posted which PCs are still among us.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Present, just didn't want to post half-way through a story. Posting is limited as work proxy prevent access :(

Understood. We're into the post-issue discussion now. I don't know if you want him to join at this point or not.

Also, I added a quick edit to my last post to confirm that the ghosts did fade at dawn.

I was thinking about it, but then figured since I have no clue what chapter 13 was about, I'd better not. I would just be posting things that would be refuted by actual goings-on or the theories floating about. I will probably just have him crawl out of his kitchen somewhere and see if it leads anywhere or else join up in Chapter 14. Would there be sense in that?

As a note for folks - Fox is going to be generally available for people to find. I only ask two things: you remain conscious of what he's doing and interact with him/his scene accordingly, and you write up finding him and pose your inital statement. So for example, if you read that I have him speaking with Drago, please feel free to type up that your PC spots him talking with Drago and waits or goes to interrupt as needed. It'll save another round of me posting that yes, Ger can point you in the direction of Fox and you can find him. He's making himself available for this crisis.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

As I do not wish to play Gabrielle as a combat character and the game has become almost exclusively combat oriented or at least entirely lacking in non-combat focused storyline, nor do I wish to have to play her alone in order to have any non-combat focused threads, I am pulling her from play. I will leave Celeste, but given the glacially slow posting in that thread, I don't foresee much play with her either.

At this point there doesn't seem to be any need to "write her out". I would have had her stay in Columbia when Fox was bouncing everyone around, but didn't get the chance to state that. Or the request to allow her to reunite the two halves of her enclave, but there wasn't an option presented to do so and in all truth it doesn't seem like it actually matters at all in the game anymore. There was a time when it did and when there were other players posting that were also more interested in social interactions and storyline over combat threads, but it seems that that time has passed and so then has my time for playing Gabrielle. I've already spent a large portion of my game time with her playing on my own. I don't prefer to play a game centered on interaction sequestered off the to the side by myself.

She wouldn't have gone to London as she sees the immediate safety of her people and ensuring that they're able to make it through the winter with heat and food as more important than satisfying any curiosity about if the Halloween incident was local or global. She doesn't have Flight (with Mega-Strength to carry more than one person at a time anyways) or Warp, so it will take her a long time to make it from the island back to Columbia after speaking with her people that are still on the island and coming to some decision about how to get the whole group back together without getting most of them killed on a trip back to Missouri or an attempt to get the Missouri group down to the island somehow. Given Fox's continued style of "leadership," she'll probably see if anyone else from the island wants to come with her and try to figure out how to get everyone to Columbia, where there's a working power plant for warmth and all the canned goods from several colleges as well as a Wal-Mart supply center within her foraging range. And a leader that doesn't hale off the moment something shiny catches his eye and then wander back in and expect kowtowing because he's the one with the nifty powers and military entitlement issues....

That is likely to take weeks, at best, and she's not likely to have time for chatting. Also, if he's interested in Catholicism, she'd probably simply direct him to the priest on the island as the proper person to seek council from. I'm not saying she wouldn't speak about her faith with another, but she's a 17 year old...something...and until her people are taken care of and in a stable situation, she's going be primarily focused on them.

Hmm...that's a pity. I wouldn't have minded having someone for Myf to talk to. I don't see her going to London either. And while she does have her new lab to take care of, there's always time to talk. And she and Gabrielle have an unusual relationship that we've never really taken time to explore.

But I respect your decision. Sorry to see it so, but I understand your reasoning.

After a long talk with Dawn, sleeping for 16 hours, and taking mood stabilizers, I'm going to apologize and put Gabrielle back in play unless the majority of players in DR object. I am sorry for doing this....I think it's the first time I've done this sort of yo-yoing with a character. I hope so. Again, sorry.

Envoy: Please remove the IC references to node in your post. You don't have a node; I still allow the node ping to sense other supers, but you don't have a node to ping. :) It's an OOC mechanic since you guys aren't really novas.

Ahem... can I rejoin?

Of course. All are welcome to return home. :firedevil:

Fair warning - Courier has gone inactive, both here and in QF.

I hope that's better, carver. Vagued it up. If it's even more vague than that and node ping doesn't exist IC, I'll edit out the action at all and have Sarah be ready for punch around some super zeds. ;)

Node pings can still be done, they're just not pinging off a node. You can still sense other supers using your own "super sense".

Of course. All are welcome to return home. :firedevil:

Fair warning - Courier has gone inactive, both here and in QF.

Thanks and it's unfortunate to hear that about Courier but it won't influence my request. I've been missing you guys too much anyway :)

• 5 weeks later...

Carver, I'm not sure of what to post in the Fox's Refuge thread. Gabrielle can't change trajectory very quickly, since she's actually using (pseudo)physics to fly. Honestly the form coming at her would have time to attack or catch up to her before she could maneuver away unless she just lets herself drop (which would hurt her probably rather badly). I know we're not in combat rounds, but I'm just not sure what to do that doesn't really stretch time in odd and confusing ways to be able to have Gabrielle act/react before Myf or the attacker could.

Could I get another update from you, please?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm trying to get back into the story but it is not as easy as I expected. I'm still around and interested to continue, just need some more info before I can make a post. I'm trying to catch you in Chat, Dawn.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Guys, I have been slacking hardcore on DR, in part because posting has been slow. It's a Catch 22, where the less my players want to post, the less I post... despite wanting to post every week regardless of what my players do. That said, I want to get this going again, and I have a plan.

1. Close the current chapters and get everyone on to the next plot. I'd do this by making large posts that wrap up the threads.

2. Get past the eldest of the babies. I'll be jumping ahead, probably through the Winter and Spring, and Jas, Kristin and V will have their kids. That'll leave only Sarah with a baby on the way.

3. Open new threads, consolidating groups as much as possible. With our numbers being lower, I'd like to get the groups back into one place - and that's probably the Refuge for many of them.

4. Once I have the closing posts up, returning to the once-per-week posts.

Before I start all of that, I need to know that you guys will continue, since the above represents effort for me. For that, I want two things from the players:

1. A roll call in this thread that is also your commitment to post. My ability to post shouldn't depend on your guys and I'll do my best to keep that from happening. But posts spur posts from others, a cycle the inspires and creates. Not posting leaves the other players without anything to post to and the slowdown continues.

2. An answer to this question: With the slowdown, I feel like DR has run its course and should be played out. I can do this, but is this something you guys want? Do you want to see the end before we lose steam entirely?

A few days ago I was wondering how to address this and I was waiting for an opportune moment in chat. I'm relieved that you come up with this and of course I'll be there till the very end (I've written 3 variations of DR's Ending!)

Anyway - if this has any influence on how you'll be dealing with things - Venus will definitely "demanded" to see Myfwany at least once before she conceived and probably request for her to be around when she is in labour and the kids are about to be born. I know this may sound odd but Myfwany is very important to Venus, even though she has James and the Covenant around - that's not the same.

If that turns out to be impossible then I'll have to deal with it. I trust you to find a nice solution.

I know I have been lax here (and pretty much everywhere), but I would like to continue until a formal resolution of the game. I'll admit the continuation of Kristin's pregnancy has been getting a bit long, and I'm deeply effected by the posting rate of others - the less they post, the less I post, but I'll try to keep up with at least a post a week.

As a side not, I haven't fully decided who would end up with Kristin's baby - either her cousin Ashley, or possibly Gabrielle, if Mala was willing.

Gabrielle would absolutely take in the baby, and I have some plans I'm batting around for her to through winter (just things that have happened to her, not fics to write out). I'd like to see how the game goes after the jump forward, and then reassess about pushing the button on starting the end, personally.

I think consolidation back to one or two groups would greatly improve the "energy" of the board and bring us back to consistent posting. :)

Well I guess what should be discussed may be what we see our characters doing in such a large timeskip. I know I don't see Dan remaining on the Island. He'd go back to the Refuge itself, or even to Christmas City. I remember Myfwany seemed to want to get some real research done, in Jon's old lab, and there'd been some discussion about Dan and Sarah going with her. Finding what's caused the Z is a big motivation for Dan.

Archived