Aberrant: Dead Rising - OOC Stuff

The Fine Balance

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Jeremy, btw.

Anyway I was going to join Phobos from the beginning. Although, if Carv hadn't requested the character to start as a baseline in discussions we had- my character would have been a former Olympian who discovered Tartarus and was disillusioned enough to leave. His views on Venus would be mixed... on one hand, she doesn't necessarily know about Tartarus. On the other hand, she seems the kind who is too far gone to care.

In the end: Ali is a super-to be who would put Venus down like a dog. (His IC opinion, Joani, no real offense intended).

That it "exists"? Yeah, that I buy (similarly Fox knows that he has a jail). That there are zombies running around there? Han seemed adamant that there be no zoms in Olympus, there are serious and obvious public health reasons for that.

That disconnect makes me wonder how much he knows about what is/was going on in Tartarus.

Finally got back from holiday, found the whole site changed - took me some to figure out what happened and where everything went. Then I had to recover my account because the password wasn't taken over on the new site, but couldn't create a new account either. But I am back and all sheets/messages seem present. Am now checking the posts to see what's missing/what I missed.

That it "exists"? Yeah, that I buy (similarly Fox knows that he has a jail). That there are zombies running around there? Han seemed adamant that there be no zoms in Olympus, there are serious and obvious public health reasons for that.

That disconnect makes me wonder how much he knows about what is/was going on in Tartarus.

If you seriously believe that anything like what goes on in Tartarus happens without Han A: knowing about and B: green-lighting it, then you haven't just drunk the Kool-Aid, you're helping to mix it. And as for him being adamant that there's no Zom's in Olympus... well, technically they're not. They're in Tartarus.

I know, I know. It's hard to believe that anyone could bend the truth so self-servingly, right? Maybe you're right - Han's just misunderstood. :whistle:

More to the point. Jordan once stated in chat that Han was a dick beneath the surface. Carver applauded his insight. That event should explain all.

Besides, Han has killed supers who challenged his leadership and generally made it clear, "don't like it, don't stay." He does seem pretty anal about the status quo and keeping conflict to a minimum. Which means Tartarus is simply an open secret, and Phobos a difficult topic for those at Olympus, because not everyone will be comfortable with admitting (or learning) that a prison for foreigners who refused to join the community exists, much less that some gods regularly abuse the captives down there.

Last thing. Read Ali's approved background. Han was the one to rescue the Bradford caravan that Ali's family belonged to and brought them to Olympus. He was also the one who then said the price of room and board would be obedience and servitude, and naturally, the one who was behind the protesters being killed. Ali would never be fooled into believing benevolence of Han.

PS. I didn't write this, but which god killed his parents, Carver? This is presuming you'd like to make that decision.

More to the point. Jordan once stated in chat that Han was a dick beneath the surface. Carver applauded his insight. That event should explain all.

It always amazes me what you guys will remember from comments I made. :P Fun, fun!

Besides, Han has killed supers who challenged his leadership and generally made it clear, "don't like it, don't stay." He does seem pretty anal about the status quo and keeping conflict to a minimum. Which means Tartarus is simply an open secret, and Phobos a difficult topic for those at Olympus, because not everyone will be comfortable with admitting (or learning) that a prison for foreigners who refused to join the community exists, much less that some gods regularly abuse the captives down there.

Just to be clear, Han has confessed to killing only those that try to kill him for leadership. Gods have the option to leave Olympus, though that decision always bewilders him.

I dare say that the topic of Phobos will be a difficult topic more because once he became a god, he didn't immediately embrace his new status. Instead of being pleased about his gift, he seems... ungrateful. Goodness me.

I expect to have fun having this explored further in Venus and Courier's fictions/stories.

Last thing. Read Ali's approved background. Han was the one to rescue the Bradford caravan that Ali's family belonged to and brought them to Olympus. He was also the one who then said the price of room and board would be obedience and servitude, and naturally, the one who was behind the protesters being killed. Ali would never be fooled into believing benevolence of Han.

So ungrateful. He offered food, shelter and defense of the zombies; all you had to do was accord him the worship he deserved. ;)

PS. I didn't write this, but which god killed his parents, Carver? This is presuming you'd like to make that decision.

I don't unless you would prefer I make that call. I don't think that it matters too much, unless you'd like to matter. It shouldn't be Han or Vulcan - neither one 'enjoys' playing in Hell. Circe would be unlikely to kill anyone. Herc's a good choice - he's a bully with a node.

I don't unless you would prefer I make that call. I don't think that it matters too much, unless you'd like to matter. It shouldn't be Han or Vulcan - neither one 'enjoys' playing in Hell. Circe would be unlikely to kill anyone. Herc's a good choice - he's a bully with a node.

Excellent, Herc it is. Which reminds me from those words...

Interesting... Herc isn't a Dan-like cold uber-warrior. Kid who lucked out? Lots of survivors lived this long by not needing to murder their way out of a city. He hasn't had 'hero' burned out of him yet. Hasn't seen enough of his friends die and have to kill their corpses.

I'm sorry, but I must say it: James is a muscle-bound idiot. He's guzzling the Kool-Aid like there's no tomorrow.

Excellent, Herc it is. Which reminds me from those words... I'm sorry, but I must say it: James is a muscle-bound idiot. He's guzzling the Kool-Aid like there's no tomorrow.
James was commenting that Herc seems likely to fold under pressure. He's not a fan of the current set up but yes, he is a muscle bound idiot.

Just to be clear, Han has confessed to killing only those that try to kill him for leadership. Gods have the option to leave Olympus, though that decision always bewilders him.
That.

Which means Phobos could have asked to leave and taken his followers with him. How many did he leave behind? Or... if we want to be really wacky, if he'd stayed he could be policeman and prevent abuses.

You're making some assumptions here. At the moment Venus and Ares don't know about Tartarus, or at least how bad it is down there, it's possible there are others.

Han's just misunderstood. :whistle:
IMHO Han's social setup invites the kinds of abuses we've seen.

However, cults and communes can function just fine as long as they never need to deal with someone who doesn't have their mindset. I.e. "trusting everyone to be good" works as long as everyone is trustworthy. Where the system fails (or results in victims simply having to tough it out) is when it's faced with abuses of power, evil people, or people with other mindsets. As a general rule IMHO it's the kids or powerless who are abused, and the people with child raising skills who flee the set up.

At most it works for about one generation, I suspect this one won't last that long.

Which means Phobos could have asked to leave and taken his followers with him. How many did he leave behind? Or... if we want to be really wacky, if he'd stayed he could be policeman and prevent abuses.

That's utterly absurd. One, everyone in the prison has suffered quite violently at the hands of the Olympians. Martin and family were imprisoned by force, and Martin erupted two seconds after Artemis killed his father. Furthermore, another thing Martin, Ali and everyone else has in common? They were contacted by the Olympians and were flatly told, "You are going to become part of our enclave now." No ifs ands or buts. Everyone said "Go to hell" and were then killed or captured forcibly and imprisoned in Tartarus. These people, PC and NPC, are fundamentally opposed to the system.

At most it works for about one generation, I suspect this one won't last that long.

Phobos and Ali (whatever his super codename will be) will make sure of that.

That's utterly absurd... These people, PC and NPC, are fundamentally opposed to the system.
First, being a god means you get a seat at the table for setting policy. IMHO I think a good policy would be to let baselines leave just like gods, that would probably fix most issues on the face of it. For a more current example, it's unlikely in the extreme James' family or any baselines V takes will have the same issues Phobos' family had.

Or alternatively, as a god you could simply have asked to leave, and Han would have let you. No one left behind, no one killed in combat getting away, and no one preyed upon by zombies because you're disorganized.

Phobos and Ali (whatever his super codename will be) will make sure of that.
Han's enclave is a significant amount of what's left of humanity. Are you going to slaughter all those baselines because you don't like Han? Are you planning on letting any of them live? Or if you are, are you planning doing anything to take care of them?

First, being a god means you get a seat at the table for setting policy. IMHO I think a good policy would be to let baselines leave just like gods, that would probably fix most issues on the face of it. For a more current example, it's unlikely in the extreme James' family or any baselines V takes will have the same issues Phobos' family had.

Or alternatively, as a god you could simply have asked to leave, and Han would have let you. No one left behind, no one killed in combat getting away, and no one preyed upon by zombies because you're disorganized.

Han's enclave is a significant amount of what's left of humanity. Are you going to slaughter all those baselines because you don't like Han? Are you planning on letting any of them live? Or if you are, are you planning doing anything to take care of them?

No, Han wouldn't have let me leave, and you're willfully naive if you believe that Phobos would ever join a system responsible for the abuse of him and his family as well as the death of his father. He will tear it down and yes, he will kill everyone that's a part of it.

As for the baselines? Those that fight for the K-Mart gods will die. The rest can decide whether they want to live in an enclave where they share responsibility and power, or else they can go and lick someone elses boots. Humans that would rather live on their knees than die on their feet are no great loss to the species. Same goes for Supers. :angel1:

I will post here tomorrow, and catch you up. I'd meant to tonight and brain-farted on the fact I was going out with my sister and her family. My apologies; I'd meant to move the combat and any other threads forward that need more than twenty minutes of work from me. However, that will happen tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

12H has worn down and not gone where I wanted, exactly, and for that, I apologize to the PCs. What I'm going to do is leave the rogue super as something to be dealt with in the downtime in fictions, or just let it fade away. Those in 12H are free to put up a closing post that makes them feel good about where their PC is and start their fiction downtime.

You can cover 3 months of time in the next month; putting up at least five posts in that time nets you the xp award. If you need my help with the fics, let me know. For those in the Refuge, the next three months should probably cover what their PCs are doing as it goes into fall. Let me know if you have questions. This period closes October 13.

Bond and Co, you'll have an actual chapter and then have your three months, since you're mid-mission.

Wyrd, I asked people to move to close 12H down, not keep it going. Please edit your post so that we can move on. Due to various reasons (some of which are my fault) this has gone on way too long. Let's just get it to the point where we can move on to the fiction downtime.

Ex-Heroes and Ex-Patriots are a pair of books about a world with superheroes that has now been overrun by zombies. I haven't read these myself, but I figured I would point them out to you guys given the similarities to the game.

Product description for Ex-Heroes:

Stealth. Gorgon. Regenerator. Cerberus. Zzzap. The Mighty Dragon. They were heroes. Vigilantes. Crusaders for justice, using their superhuman abilites to make Los Angeles a better place. Then the plague of living death spread around the globe. Despite the best efforts of the superheroes, the police, and the military, the hungry corpses rose up and overwhelmed the country. The population was decimated, heroes fell, and the city of angels was left a desolate zombie wasteland like so many others. Now, a year later, the Mighty Dragon and his companions must overcome their differences and recover from their own scars to protect the thousands of survivors sheltered in their film studio-turned-fortress, the Mount. The heroes lead teams out to scavenge supplies, keep the peace within the walls of their home, and try to be the symbols the survivors so desperately need. For while the ex-humans walk the streets night and day, they are not the only threat left in the world, and the people of the Mount are not the only survivors left in Los Angeles. Across the city, another group has grown and gained power. And they are not heroes.

12h is pretty much done; I asked PCs to put in wrap up posts. I'll cover the progress of the move in a fiction this weekend (that's the plan). Black Water is pretty much done; it didn't go where I planned (which happens). At this point, the two people are going to accede to Draygo's demands.

Alright, first, as you can see, we have a new player. Welcome Varroxxian.

Second, the fiction month is about over. So I'm going to give everyone another week to work on their stories. If you need help, catch me in chat.

New chapters will start on 10/24 (because I like starting on Mondays instead of Fridays).

Archived