[Fiction] Night of the Long Straws

z-Sean McCline

The Babylon burned bright in the Chicago night, its lights throwing back darkness, both physical and emotional. Those who walked in the door left their worries and sorrows behind, at least for tonight. Novas and baselines alike seemed to catch the mood of the place, the promise of satisfaction improving their mood. N! was camped around the area, their cameras aimed at the street level and into the air, looking for approaching novas. Each one was greeted with a cheer and a rush to ask questions. It was no different when the red-headed nova dropped out of the sky, settling to the ground gracefully.

Sean shook out his jacket as he settled to the ground. He made the functional move look good, and he didn't drop the man he was holding to one side of his body. He also really didn't need to straighten the suit - it was eufiber, and would look good, no matter what he did to it. Well, maybe it would look bad if he burned it. It would look good while burning, though - real pretty.

His bare feet, an affectation he'd picked up from bumming around his house, unemployed, set down on the carpet in front of the building. He twisted and carefully set the man he'd been carrying down. "See?" he asked, his tone gently teasing. "Safe and sound, without a scratch." His full lips curled up in a smile. "Though... you may need a comb. Don't worry, you're still totally sexy."

"Naturally," Aidos said, colouring his tone with a bit of false arrogance. "There are things in the world that simply cannot be done, quantum powers or no. This is clearly one of them." He ran his fingers through his long silky hair. It was pristine as always. Before his eruption it had been shorter and a bit greasy, due to his habit of not showering for weeks and in general being as much of a recluse as was allowed among Oklahoma City's finest.

Aidos was dressed more conservatively than usual, though he was certain Sean wouldn't object to something a bit more risque; dark gray slacks and a silky black shirt, both sadly of conventional fabrics, was the outfit he'd chosen. He leaned against Sean, getting his land legs back. Flying was still a disorienting experience for him, though he didn't like to let on. This time it couldn't be helped.

Once Aidos had gotten his breath, legs, and sanity back, he squeezed Sean's arse to let him know it was time to get a move on. With an air of nonchalance he said, "Well...I suppose the party's not gonna liven up itself, yeah? Let's get in there."

"Well, I've never met a party that couldn't use my charm to better itself," Sean grinned, letting his hand stray a bit lower on Aidos' body. But the man was right; there was no use standing out here when the party was inside. He turned to walk him and his company in, trying to ignore the shouted questions being thrown at him.

"Mr. McCline, are you ready to comment on your departure from the Knights?"

"Sean, Sean! Hey, are the rumors true that you were fired?"

"Are you being courted by DeVries? Have they made you an offer?"

"Can we get a statement, a line, anything?"

At the last, Sean nodded and said, "Have a good evening, everyone. Don't spend all night working." And then they were inside, and the shouts dwindled to a near-silent roar, blocked by the heavy doors of Babylon. Sean smiled as a new noise - music, laughter and happy voices - filled the void left by the shouting reporters.

"Wow, I'd forgotten how awesome it is in here," Sean said as he tipped his head back to see the interior of the building. "Aside from the opening, I'm not sure I've ever been here outside of business. It's swanky."

Aidos inspected the club. "Indeed. It doesn't look too bad." Privately Aidos thought it looked fucking fantastic, but he would hold back saying so until he'd met this "Velvet". Or Revenant. He wasn't particularly looking forward to that encounter.

"I assume they serve something here that when drunk in copious amounts will get me completely fucking toasted, yes? Let's go find some. And then we can dance or have sex in the bathroom or something." Aidos paused. "Unless you want to do something specific first." Aidos was used to having it his way, but Sean wasn't someone he could bowl over with his charm even if he wanted to. So he figured he'd at least ask.

"Oh, yeah," Sean purred, brushing his lips over the gorgeous man's dark hair. "We'll get you good and plastered before the night is over." The thoughts of what that would mean, of the fun wildness that might now happen later.

With a strong arm, Sean steered Aidos to the bar. When the bartender glanced at them - as he was compelled to do by their power and glory - Sean signalled him down with a folded bit of currency. The bartender moved down, ignoring several others along the way and asked, "What can I get you?" He pocketed the bill without glancing too much at it; he was better trained than that.

"Ampwell," Aidos said distractedly, still looking around the club. "Pabst Blue Ribbon too." He produced a cigarette from his breast pocket and lit it; nicotine didn't do much for him anymore, but he did enjoy the taste.

He grinned around the cigarette and exhaled. "Sean will have a Gold Symphony Vodka."

Sean smirked as Aidos ordered for him; he'd return the favor later tonight. Reaching out, he took the cigarette from the other man and drew off it before giving it back. Not only did he get the smoky taste of nicotine, but the more interesting scent of Aidos.

While the bartender got their drinks, Sean turned around and leaned against the bar, trying to pick out any familiar faces. One hand began to play with the other nova's long hair, a favorite pastime of Sean's.

A flash of purple caught his eye and the red-head straightened, peering through the crowd, but it wasn't Velvet. Sean slouched back into a relaxed slump and continued to people watch. Even when the bartender brought his drink, he didn't turn around, letting Aidos hand it to him. He took a drink and gazed around the room, looking for the owner and her dead cabana boy.

Aidos rested his head on Sean's shoulder and considered stabbing him in the eye with his cigarette. Probably wouldn't do anything, but it might discourage further attempts to mooch his smoke.

He followed Sean's gaze. Sean's face didn't quite have that expression it got when he was scoping out a fine piece of ass, so Aidos felt no pressing need to return Sean's attention to him. Looking for anyone he knew, most likely.

Aidos gulped his beer and looked too.

The sea changes colors, but the sea does not change, Velvet mused, smiling as the melody of the old song wove its way through her thoughts and distracted her momentarily from the seemingly endless parade of 'how-do-you-do's. Every night, streams of new faces poured into Babylon, each one uniquely beautiful or striking to look upon, and yet the composition of the crowd itself- as if it were a separate entity altogether- never seemed to vary.

Except...

"Oh, doll, I'm sorry," she crooned apologetically to the sleekly crystalline nova beside her, interrupting him mid-sentence as she caught sight of a certain red-haired heartthrob through the man's glassy, perfectly translucent body. "I've just seen someone I absolutely must talk to. Have another, on the house, and we'll catch up later, mm?"

For once, the rather tired line was utterly sincere, and Velvet was all smiles as she wove her way through the patrons in an amethyst satin cocktail dress slinky enough to make Lili St. Cyr blush.

"Sean!" she exclaimed warmly, hands spread in greeting as she approached the Windy City Sex Machine. "It's been too long!"

Now Sean's face got that look a little bit, as he stepped forward, accepting the hug from the glorious violet-hued woman. Her scent was almost the same; Sean was a little disappointed to realize he could smell Revenant on her. It wasn't sexual, not completely; he'd do Revenant too, but it was strange to have the smell he'd associated with her altered. But then he realized that Reven would have a bit of her scent, too, and the thought of Warren smelling like a woman almost made him laugh.

"It's good to see you," he said, stepping back and pulling Aidos forward. "I don't think you've met Aidos yet." He gave her a scandalous smile. "He's why it's been too long. Aidos, this is Velvet, the lovely owner of this lovely establishment."

Aidos studied her clinically for a moment, concealing it behind a serene expression. She was more or less what he expected at first glance, but it was still impossible not to be a little intimidated. He managed anyway.

"I'm pleased to meet you, Velvet; Sean has told me a lot about you." He gave her a deep, theatrical bow and doffed an imaginary hat. "And I must say he has provided me with a substandard description of your dazzling radiance," Aidos added, deciding to lay it on a bit thick. He smiled amiably anyway, in case she thought he was mocking her.

"Well, aren't you a sweetheart?" the curvaceous woman laughed melodically as she slid her hand from Sean's shoulder, her already soft, husky voice dropping to a sly whisper as she regarded his pretty, long-haired companion with a gaze that might have appeared coy to anyone unfamiliar with her mannerisms. "And quite the charmer, too, if you've kept our Mr. McCline out of circulation."

Not bad, she mused inwardly. He'd make a decent cabana boy, anyway. Aidos wasn't quite what she'd envisioned as a good match for the redhead- too pretty, too feminine by half- but as Sean's smile seemed genuine, and the flicker of attraction in his singular green eyes was more than obvious, she elected to give him the benefit of the doubt.

For the moment, she decided, she'd avoid any quantum "tampering" with what seemed to be an already pleasant evening.

Sean spread his fingers against Aidos' back, pressing the warmth of his skin through the shirt. He felt his breathing hitch a bit, as his libido realized that he was touching a subject of sexual attraction. "Oh, he's very sweet," Sean said with a laugh, hugging the man for a moment.

Letting the mildly-lewd joke go, Sean took a sip of his drink and continued the pleasantries. "I've been boasting about what a lovely place you have for weeks now, and Aidos didn't really believe me. I think he's coming around, now that he's seen how awesome your place is." He turned his bizarre green and black eyes on the dark-hued man. "If you let Velvet give you the tour, I assure you that you'll be impressed."

It didn't seem to occur to him that as an owner, Velvet might have something more important to do.

"I believed you," Aidos said indignantly. "And I'm sure as the owner, Velvet has better things to do. Though if you don't I'd be glad of a tour," Aidos added to Velvet. "This place is beautiful." As he said this he snaked a hand of his own up Sean's shirt to pleasantly massage one pectoral. If Velvet did have things to do Aidos certainly knew how to keep himself occupied...

Archived