Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 7: A brave new path

Mr Fox

Joani grew more and more silent as she listened to the others sharing their thoughts on what to do next. Every once in a while she looked at Omar her eyes only speaking for herself. This all reminded her of Caroline. There was so much wrong from a ethical point of view and barely a day passed when she wasn't thinking about the trial.

She knew she wouldn't make the others change their minds. She understood what the Presidents options were and that he had to take that stand for the survival of the human race. But what was the price to be paid?

*This may not change much about the discussion but I'm with Omar. We spent too much time building society - there is much more at stake than the survival of the human race. We have to ask ourselves each time we take such extreme measures if the price to be paid isn't too high. Most of you won't face much of the consequences but I for myself don't know how to handle this. Should we prove victorious and thus annihilating our enemies - another species, sentient species - I just... I don't know what to say if someone asked me if it was the right decision. I don't know what to say to our children - That it was a necessary evil?*, she paused a moment before she finished her speech.

*This has to be our last resort - And I pray that we won't need it.*

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Realizing that the room had gone oddly silent and that the President was missing out on the more philosophical points of the discussion Andrew broke the silence, "I should note that regardless of our actions I cannot stress strong enough that I will not support genocide. I spoke in the defense of a monster once long ago and if need be I will do the same for a race which appears bent on our destruction.

"I will not allow the technology that I have given my life to create to be used to eliminate another race. While I can appreciate the need to defend our world we should not feel that victory can only be accomplished through the genocide of our enemy."

Andrew holds up a hand to forestall any comment before he is finished, “Mr. President, I appreciate that your duty is to safeguard the people of earth and the Sol system. And I understand that should peace talks fail the only recourse will be war. But a war to defeat one’s enemy need not become a war of genocide. That these aliens seek the same against us does not lift the moral and ethical ramifications of our choice to do the same in return. By sparing our enemy we will show ourselves to be the more enlightened and merciful race. I ask you to think back to the end of the Great War; the countries of the world helped Germany and Europe to regain their feet and their pride. Is this situation so different?”

Cody speaks aloud in response.

*Nonetheless, it was the threat of mutual genocide that got their attention and is allowing us to have such a diplomatic meeting.*

*Michael and i will work together. Michael will lead in the talks while I delve unnoticed to discern their motives. I will be able to tell if they are being dishonest and will stress to them how our culture feels about being annihilated, and the lengths we will go to ensure this does not happen. Hopefully their leaders will be wise enough to head off escalation.*

Steve nods in agreement and comments,

"Something else to think upon. The smallpox virus, the river blindness worm, the malaria mosquito... these are all creatures we worked very hard to exterminate.(1) We did so very delibrately because their existance wasn't compatable with our own."

"I'm not convinced we're in that same situation. But odds are good sooner or later we will find an intelligent life form out here whose existence is likewise incompatible. Their fault, our fault, no one's fault. It's a big universe, what is possible is almost certain."

*At last count there are between one and four space faring races who have the same opinion about us. Since they have more information, they may be right. I want the lizards as friends because it makes us stronger and makes dealing with the others easier.*

"It'd be nice to not have to deal with that in my lifetime, but it's possible."

(OOC: (1) I'm going to assume the Paragons would be involved in this sort of thing but if they didn't then I would).

Andrew shakes his head, "That's hardly the same thing Steve, we're talking about a race of sentient beings not viruses and insects. By a similar comparison you would think nothing to kill a fly that annoys you by buzzing around your head. Would you so blithely kill a human being for bothering you?"

Andrew pauses and lets that settle in, "I agree that we are not yet at war and we have not yet even moved toward that precipice but even considering it is dangerous territory. Once you begin to rationalize these things the easier it is to convince yourself that it is an acceptable action."

"I fully agree with Andrew, Steve. Though I see where your argument comes from.", she swallowed down her more impulsive emotions.

"I'm not going to attack. If they attack us, I will defend earth...", again she saved most of her thoughts for herself instead assuming a pose which she was famous for, crossing her arms infront of her chest.

The President looks weary and is rubbing his right temple as if he has a headache. "I understand you concerns and I share them. I very much hope that I don't go down in history as the man who ordered the genocide of another sentient species. Unfortunately, if what I understand about their mindset turns out to be true, then it may be the only option. Particularly if they have a second race feeding them advanced tech. What happens if we defeat them now only to have them develop more advanced tech than we have thanks to our mutual enemy, that is setting us against each other? Then we will be the ones to die as a species. That I cannot condone, nor can I allow that risk if there is a way to avoid it."

Andrew holds up his hands as though surrendering, "No mas, I conceed that the military may be forced to do the unthinkable for the survival of the species. I for one will not participate nor will I lend my mind toward the creation of weapons capable of performing that abhorent act." Andrew sighs and shakes his head sadly, "But do what you must and prepare however you see fit."

Joani sided with Andrew and added to what he said, "I can fully understand the dilemma you are going through. Right now I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, Mr. President. I see the necessity to prepare for war. I even agree with what Steve implied. Exterminating the aliens before they do the same to us... sounds all reasonable and logic.", she had to take a breath before she continued.

"All this is not me. Being the leader of the Paragons for the past decades wasn't just about making the right decisions. Its a dedication that goes farther than words can truly describe. I must object to going to such extremes since its against my nature to kill another sentient being, no matter its ill intent. You cannot expect from me to uphold the values of the Paragons and at the same participating in a genocidal war incited by us. I simply can't...", her voice sounding sad and defeated.

Steve says,

"Joani, everyone else, so far this is hypothetical. We're making assumptions based off limited information, Cody and Mike can still save the day. Andrew, Amber, and I can still round up our mole and find out what is what."

"If you ever find yourself in the kind of situation you're thinking about you'll have enough information to convince yourself it's the right or wrong move, and odds are everyone else will agree with you."

Archived