Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 7: A brave new path

Mr Fox

*Calm yourself Joani* Cody answers in response to her outburst.

*Let me say it again: Their species *was* planet locked. Also to clarify, that they do have some modern-equivalent technology, mostly industrial, but to date they have been focused primarily on competeing for territory and resources on their own world. In fact...space travel terrifies them. The creatures on board that ship view themselves as extremely brave to venture forth into the dark of space. That they are xenophobes only heightens the mystery of how they could have aquired such technology and the will to use it.*

*In spite of appearances, Michael and myself have been working very closely with this project. The coordinates set for the Enterprise was crafted to keep us well away from the known species.*

*They are indeed telepathic, though their mindset is very alien. It could be they deliberately attacked or perhaps lacked the compatibility to warn the Enterprise away.*

*Again...they shouldn't be here.*

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"I have calmed down, Cody. But I still think you owe us an apology.", she addressed both Cody and Michael.

"It's good to see you again after so many years but this news are rather troubling for me. Do you think there is no way to find a diplomatic solution? I don' want to be responsible for an intergalactic war - or the extermination of an alien species in the worst case."

Giving it a little more thought she concluded, "There is still something odd about this. I mean even if they are telepathic they would've needed inside information on how to sabotage the Enterprise - or am I wrong? And if they shouldn't be here, who is responsible for putting them where they are?", she didn't like the prospects of her own assumptions but hid her worst fears behind a calm face.

"They would either have needed outside knowledge or extra time to study the knowledge of the crew. Given that the ship was destroyed only after short period of time I am inclined toward the first. I admit though that the second may be possible, my knowledge of how telepathy works is limited." Andrew studies the ship on the view screen, regardless of how the situation got to this point they were standing at a precipice.

Michael blushes, "I do apologise, Cody and I have been working on this for quite sometime, but only discovered the alien species fairly recently, about 15 years ago. We've been trying to learn enough so that we could present the League with a full set of data. The Chromatics, which is what we've decided to name these particular aliens, were the first species we found, but as Cody said they were planet locked and did not appear to present any threat to us. The other two were much more potentially dangerous, but as we are not very close to their space we had thought to gather more intel before making it public." His eyes narrow as he looks at the image of the Chromatic ship, "Cody is very much correct, they should not be here. In less than 10 years they've gone from being planet locked to having full space flight? That could not have been done without outside resources."

To Michael,

*May I suggest we dig a little deeper? If we can locate their "Captain" we can probe their memories of how they aquired the ship as well as their agenda with it. With more information we will understand how to properly respond...*

{{Even though telepathy bypasses the language barrier Cody will still apply his linguistic genius towards deciphering and understanding the way they think.}}

Andrew nods, "We need more information." Mindful of the military people on the bridge Andrew routes the remainder through the link, *Can we get close enough for some detailed scans of their ship? I'd like to try and see how their tech works, it may help us if this comes to violence. Maybe if we jump in close with the shuttle under cloak then jump back out after we scan?*

*"I suppose I could go and if things get nasty you just port me back? I've got what it takes for a detailed scan. Then again, I can't turn invisible, so they most likely would take notice."* Joani sent over the link, contemplating a better solution.

Lorean listens and speaks up. "Just a note. When my shields are up a scan cannot be performed because the psychic shielding will prevent out going scans just as much as it will prevent incoming. Also, since they are telepathic, stealth mode will not prevent them from knowing where we are unless we also raise the psychic shield. Unfortnately since they already know we are here, I doubt that even the shielding will prevent them from knowing where we are with them actively watching us."

*"In that case I volunteer for the scouting mission. If they already know of our presence then there is no need for an stealthy approach. Andrew, can you voice your concerns to my Son? - I'll be stepping up to make the reconnaissance."*

Joani sighed, inspecting the screen which Andrew had been checking. I hope we won't lose everything we've built.

Andrew nods as much to himself as Joani or the others, "Commander may I suggest that we attempt an information gathering sortie? While Cody and Michael may be able to probe these aliens telepathically it will do little to increase our understanding of their technology and the threat that they pose to this ship. Well, aside from the obvious tactic of using the same trick a second time."

Omar sends to the others: *If you need me to come along, you will have to pull me. I can't move fast enough to get away should they attack. But then again, getting captured might be an idea. Once inside, I could tear their ship apart. They also might kill me.

Omar speaks, in response to Andrew. "Is that wise? We don't know what sort of weaponry that ship has. They could blow us to pieces if their telepathic atack fails. Then where are we?"

Omar leans back into the chair he had been lounging in. "I think we need to find out what their capabilities are, before putting Lorien into harms way."

Andrew turns to Omar, "I agree completely but we cannot learn more without direct observation. I myself am capable of withstanding the near vacuum of space, I'll volenteer to go if I could. Unfortunately though I do not have any psychic defenses, otherwise I would indeed go myself.

"Regardless we need more information. A small group, a single person or two capable of self powered flight and sustainability, ought to be able to get close enough to take readings and then report back. Ship to ship weaponry will be of little threat as weapons of that scale are not likely to be calibrated to attack a man sized target."

Gabriel nods, "I can have you teleported you there and back provided they don't have some way to block it. Omar, unless they do have a block your mobility shouldn't be an issue if you wish to go. So, does anyone else wish to volunteer?"

Andrew holds up a hand, "Just a moment, I think I have an idea..."

Andrew closes his eyes and concentrates for a moment. Within a few seconds a mound of flesh extrudes from his body, separating itself and resolving into the form of a young child of perhaps six or seven years. "Everybody this is Andy, he's a homunculus of myself." Andrew kneels down and speaks to the child-like form, "Andy this is Joani and Omar, I want to you go with them and look at the funny space ship, then when you come back you can tell me about it ok?"

Andy looks up at the towering forms of Omar and Joani, "Hi!" he says brightly before turning back to Andrew, "OK daddy."

Andrew stands and ruffles the homunculus' hair. He sees the odd look of the others and gives and embarassed cough, "I'll, umm, I'll explain later. Take Andy with you, let him get a good look at the ship, when you get back I can reincorporate the memories and it'll be as though I had gone with you."

Cody clears his throat over the commlink. His voice carries a note of exasperation.

*Haven't you people heard a word we've been saying? These aliens are extremely xenophobic. Even though they weren't supposed to be here, from their perspective WE invaded their space. They already have hostile intentions...and now you want to board their ship.*

*I know everyone here is upset about the loss of the Enterprise and her crew but think this through. If we go over there, or heaven forbid Omar destroys their ship, it could start an all out war between our species. Joani, just a few minutes ago you said that is exactly what you want to avoid. If you don't want to throw away everything we've built think this through. Right now what we have is a tragic and regrettable misunderstanding between two species in first contact. This is THE single most delicate time. What we do here now shapes history.*

*Captain, I hope you will allow diplomacy to rule the day here. Please, I implore you, before we take more drastic measures, at least give Michael and I the opportunity to try things our way...*

"Hold on there, Cody. No one said anything about attacking that ship. Andrew just suggested to investigate further - to study. I would never approve of an attack. This is not about revenge, like you just implied.", again she was rather upset about Codys assumptions.

"I'm still for a diplomatic solution - Andrew only suggested to find out more about them from an outside perspective until you found a solution. Some of us want to do something to help... with our abilities.", she looked at Andrew and Omar to emphasize her point.

"If your assessment is to hold still and wait until you try it your way, then so be it. In case we need some backup Andr..., ehm, Andy, Omar and I are ready.", she stated a bit harsh.

Then she retreated from the conversation and joined back with Ulric who could tell from her face that she was really upset. I never said anything about an attack. If anything I voiced my concerns about a war... She shook her head to clear her mind. Maybe if she blocked out her emotions for the moment she could handle this crisis better.

Andrew waits for Joani to finish before adding his own thoughts, "I merely wish to observe not to board thier ship. The more information we have the better. Further ... oh damn. Andy!" Andrew finds the young homunculus kneeling on one of the science station chairs playing with the knobs and switches labeled "life support".

To Lorean, *He's not doing anything right? He tends to go off and explore stuff.*

"Andy behave, if you don't, I'll let Drew go instead." Andy freezes his eyes wide like saucers before he sits down on the chair and pouts waiting for Joani and Omar. Andrew rolls his eyes, exasperated but glad that Andy has opted to do as told for once.

*Apparently you are misunderstanding what I siad. I'll be more clear this time. Merely being here is interpreted by them as an act of aggresion. I understand you want to board their ship for more information...however they WILL see that as an act of war. Michael and i can slip in telepathically unoticed by them and gather more intelligence from inside the ship...without their awareness. By delving into the minds of their officer's we can ascertain where they got their technology, what it's capabilities are and possibly even make some adjustmets that will allow us to communicate and interact with them on more peaceful terms.*

Omar gives cody a questioning look. "I don't think anyone has plans to board their ship. If during our reconnaissance, in the area of the ship, we are captured, I will tear their ship apart from the inside- even if it kills me."

Omar's expression became very serious as he looke at the others. "In my opinion, this race has comitted an act of war against us. What makes us believe that they would not exterminate us if they discover earth." An evil grin flashed across his face. "If we destroy their ship now, they might think twice about blowing up other beings' ships. Since this is probably their only ship, they will be planet bound and no longer a threat."

"Just to make sure, we blockage their planet, and blow up any ship that leaves. We continue until they allow others to explore the galaxy in peace."

Omar looks at Joani and 'Andy'. "Are we ready?"

*If they were given one ship, how do you know they don't have more. Your obviously aggresive intentions are going to jepordize this mission. How many more humans must die to fullfill your need for vengeance? WE invaded their space. THEY acted in defense of their percieved territory. Would you want the consequences of war to be on your conscience Omar?*

*Furthermore, isn't there something you are forgetting? Like the motivations of their unknown benefactors? Whoever gave them their technology is obviously manipulating them. Take it from a master...they aren't acting in accordance with their nature's to be here in space.*

If Steve's hypothesis holds true, your knee-jerk reaction could play well into an enemey's hands. What if whoever gave them spcae tech wants to goad them into a war with us? It is highly improbable that they should be in this sector of space out of all possible locations. Not only did they know where we would be jumping to, but they knew enough to sabotage the ship. Something about this feels very wrong.*

Joani frowns a little and rejoins the conversation. "Your point has been acknowledged, Cody. I suggest everyone takes a breather and we let the Navy decide on our next step.", Joani really tried hard to soothe the tensed situation.

She looked at Omar giving him that sort of smile they've grown accustomed to when things were getting out of hand and it was up to them to clean up the mess.

"To make it clear - I will not do anything that provokes an hostile reaction or even worse, war. I do agree with recon, though. If you believe that even that would suffice to let them launch all their weapons they got upon us, then we'll have to wait and see how successful your mission will be. Do we have an accord?", she gave all present a look to make sure her words reached them.

"Good... Cody, I suggest you and Michael proceed with the scan and we prepare - just in case something goes wrong.", she hoped that her little speech gave them enough time to settle down emotionally again.

Then she added jokingly, "I could throw Omar at the ship while his spines are out. I can imagine him sticking to it, holding off it like a dingleberry. Would make a neat tracking device...", she laughed at Omar.

*Excellent. Given that Lorean needs to keep her shields up to prevent telepathic tampering with the crew, I will take us out in the Cruiser. Michael and I can scan from within while we deposit you closer to the ship. In event of an emergency, Lorean can open a warp remotely to bring us back.*

Steve nods in agreement at Cody's idea but he also comments,

"Take care my friend, and don't put your neck too far out, we need you. And... it's an ugly thing to say, but I'll say it anyway. Odds are good that we're going to have a war here. If you get killed here the odds rise to something close to unity."

Originally Posted By: Courier
Steve nods in agreement at Cody's idea but he also comments,

"Take care my friend, and don't put your neck too far out, we need you. And... it's an ugly thing to say, but I'll say it anyway. Odds are good that we're going to have a war here. If you get killed here the odds rise to something close to unity."

*So I won't get killed...*

Cody leads Michael, Omar, Joani and Andrew's homonculi to the bridge turbolift and then down to the shuttle bay. As they enter the hold, the Cruiser is just finished morphing into a larger form, responding en route to Cody's mental command.

Cody opens his link with the ship.

*Lorean...is it possible to cloak the Cruiser at range, or otherwise conceal our exit from your shuttle bay?*

Meanwhile, from the sleek and shiny hull a door emerges from out of nowhere leading to an interior cabin. Inside are comfortable seats and no controls or features are visible of any kind.

Cody's voice comes in over the comm from sound wave stimulators located somewhere unseen in the Crusier's hull.

*Michael and I will seclude ourself in the pilot's compartment so that we may focus. When needed, we will be able to communicate over the comm.*

With that a door forms showing black metal stairs leading upwards. The two telepaths walk through and the wall seals behind them as if it was never there. With an almost imperceptible hum the ship levitates from the floor. As it begins its egress from Lorean's body, thick armored viewports form allowing the passengers a view of Lorean's hull and the breathtaking vastness of space. Even to the most jaded, such a sight never grows old.

When the Cruiser has reached an optimal distance from the Chromatic's spacecraft, he and Michael will slip into the gestalt trance and perform their surrepititious scan.

Andy follows along with the others eyes wide as he enters the cruiser. "Cool!" he shouts as the ship leaves the docking bay and enters space itself. Standing on the the seat he presses his face against the windows striving to see as much as he can outside of the ship. As they approach the Chromatic's ship he tugs on Omar's arm and points out the window toward the alien vessel, "What's that?"

Making sure his claws didn't come out due to nervousness, Omar stared at the ship without blinking. A small tug at his forearm brought him out of his self-induced trance.

Quote:
What's that?"

"That Andr...Andy, is the alien space ship." The 'child' next to him looked surprisingly like Andrew from where Omar was standing. The little thing came up to his waist and reminded him of his own kids when they were young. It brought a smile to Omar's face.

Omar realized it was time for him to feed, so he reached into his pocket and pulled out a white, one quarter-inch thick wafer the size of a half dollar. He deftly popped it into his mouth. A loud crunch was heard as Omar winced slightly at the taste. He repeated it again until he had consumed 6 of the tablets.

"It's not candy. You won't like it. I don't even like eating it." Omar gave little Andy a big grin. "If you want, I will give you one, but taste it before you stick it in your mouth." Omar reached into his pocket and grabbed one of the large salt tablets for him.

Andy eyed Omar skeptically, adults always tried to keep the candy for themselves but they weren't fooling him. Andy reach for the tablet and took a bite. The delight in his eyes quickly faded and he scrunched up his face in disgust spitting the remains of the tablet onto the floor. "Yuck, yucky, yuck!" Andy give Omar an incriminating look, as though he hadn't been warned that he wouldn't like it, before turning back to the window.

Omar chuckled inside. Kids! They never listen until it's too late.

Omar suspected that Andrew might find the situation humorous as well. A large grin came upon his face as he looked outside the window as well.

Joani chuckled with Omar almost laughing out as she saw Andys disgruntled face because of the tablet.

She looked outside the window again, caught up quickly by the mission ahead the calm serenity of space contrasting her inner turmoil of fear and worry about an upcoming war.

From up close the ship is an odd mixture of what looks like the same kind of living matter that was part of the design of the Enterprise, and what may very well have been an asteroid that was shaped and possibly hollowed out to form a ship. From up close those antennae definitely appear to be some kind of weapon, most likely some kind of energy projectors. The ship also appears to have engines at the back of the ship again remarkably similar to those of current human ships. The mottled green appearance is caused by the bio-matter, and up close it really looks a lot like algae growing on the ship except that it was obviously placed where it is by design.

As you sit there you each also feel tentative probings at your minds which become stronger the longer you sit there.

(PM to Cody)

Andy peers out the window, dutifully studing the ship at first. After a while he begins to rub at his head for a bit before he gets up and begins to wander the cabin, inpecting controls and peering at the design and workings of the cruiser. Andy can be heard to mumble something like, "... go boom ... kaboom ..."

"They're trying to control us!", exclaimed Joani and stood up quickly reaching fast for Andy.

"I think he is not strong enough to withstand their psychic assault.", turning Andy around and trying to make contact with his eyes she asked him. "Andy, are you listening to me? Don't give in to them."

Then she addressed Cody and Michael, "We're running out of time here. Andys defense is not strong enough."

She tried to hold Andy preventing him from moving further around.

From inside the sealed "cockpit" Michael and Cody transmit information faster than light, and the two are practically one.

Who is asking the quesyions and who is answering, can no longer be stated with certainty.

*That ship!*

*The Enterprise?*

*How long ago?*

*Long enough.*

*Possibilities?*

*Time Travel? More of Mercer's medling...*

*Possibly.*

*Contact?*

*Contact.*

(What follows is transmitted to the Chromatic "Captian." While expressed here in words it is in actuality comprisemd of no language that ever was or will be written.)

*We are not your enemy.*

*Here to investigate the wrongful invasion of you system.*

*Seeking alliance. Not war.*

(An image of Earth covered in nuclear fire, the destruction of all life.)

*Life must not succumb to the Darkness.*

*Life must live in Light.*

*In the Light do we meet you.*

After a moment the feeling of your minds being under attack stops suddenly and completely. Andy blinks and stops mumbling about booms and stops shifting around restlessly in Joani's grip. Nothing appears to have changed, and there is a sense of expectancy in the air like things are somehow in the balance.

Omar had spent the last several minutes gritting his teeth, and willing them out of his mind. While blocking them out, he was tempted to crush Andy, who mumbled about exploding things, into paste. Soon the probing fingers ceased, and Andy seemed to regain his senses.

Almost simultaneous with the cessation of telepathic hostilities, Cody's voice can be heard over the comm.

*We're leaving*

Before he had finished speaking a warp portal opened up and the Cruiser flew through directly into the cargo bay.

*Lorean, please set a course away from the alien vessel and this sector. And please call a meeting of senior staff only...Gabriel Reikspar may attend. I will explain more once you have sealed and shielded the meeting room.*

Once the command crew has convened and the security measures implemented, Cody stands next to Michael and addresses those assembled.

*It would seem the plot has thickened.*

An image appears on a display screen showing what appears to an alien world. A ship can be seen high in the atmosphere that appears to be the Enterprise. The "vision" of the creature looking at is seems to be in a wider spectrum of light than a normal human and so appears as if seen through several filters.

*What you are seeing is an image gleaned from the minds of several officers on board the Chromatic ship. As you can tell this ship appears to be the late Enterprise flagship. However...this memory is 8 years old.*

*The Chromatics believe they developed their space technology in response to this perceived threat of invasion. They currently have 3 more ships constructed and many more in various stages of completion. However it is highly improbable that they could go from late industrial to Star Drive Technology in 8 years.*

*I was able to impress upon the Chromatic Captain the consequences of a war between our species and the high probabilitlty of outside forces influencing this situation. It seemed to take this rather well considering and has put forth a tentative truce...*

*For obvious reasons none of this information must leave this room. If someone on our side has been manipulating this situation they may try and scuttle any hope for peace that may yet be possible. I have agreed to a meeting with the Chromatics in neutral space 10 days from now. This current sector is regarded as their territory and our presence here put them extremely on edge.*

*Lastly, given the footage you see here, we have reason to suspect who might be the one pulling the strings...*

*Steve, perhaps it's time we clue the others in...*

Archived