Trinity RPG - Novas in the 2121 Timeline

Aeon

Has anyone attempted running a game as Novas in the Trinity era? (Eden and so on?)

It would be interesting dealingwith psions and so forth.

As I am intending on running a game like this sometime soon, I would be rather appreciative if some people could tell me of their experiences.

AEON

------------------

My aim is to live forever, or die trying. So far so good. :-)

Difficult campaign to run. I have run quite a bit of Trinity and have played a lot of Aberrant. My advice is to know the Trinity universe well before running in it...remember that some of the Aberrant technology dissapears after the war never to resurface. As an aside does the Eden Nova philosophy sound like Terragen to anyone else?

Yeah, I am pretty familiar with everything, and Eden is probably the best place to set this type of game. I suppose I will just have to get the players to act responsible and it could be quite entertaining.

AEON

------------------

What is the attitude of the Edenites toward their Terran siblings? Certainly, some number of the newer aberrants don't even remember Earth, and don't have the nostaligic ties that older novas would have. Or the grudges. Did some of these novas fight for mankind, only to be driven off of the earth with the very same people they fought against? A game were a delegation of young novas are sent by Eden to Earth could be interesting. Earth wouldn't want some two hundred year old powerhouse returning home and would feel more comfortable with "weaker" novas. How the novas dealt with a whole world that has been raised to hate and fear them would be interesting roleplaying. Seeing the damage that their ancestors caused and the scars that remain could raise all kinds of emotions.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
What is the attitude of the Edenites toward their Terran siblings? Certainly, some number of the newer aberrants don't even remember Earth, and don't have the nostaligic ties that older novas would have. Or the grudges. Did some of these novas fight for mankind, only to be driven off of the earth with the very same people they fought against? A game were a delegation of young novas are sent by Eden to Earth could be interesting. Earth wouldn't want some two hundred year old powerhouse returning home and would feel more comfortable with "weaker" novas. How the novas dealt with a whole world that has been raised to hate and fear them would be interesting roleplaying. Seeing the damage that their ancestors caused and the scars that remain could raise all kinds of emotions.

Yeah, could be. Be interesting if I through in somebody sinister trying to knock them off (Norca) or capture them (definitely Norca.) Cheers for the ideas Jager.

------------------

If I remember correctly the discovery of the Eden Novas was the spark that lead the other Psi orders to attempt to capture the "reckless and dangerous" Teleporters. That and the secret urging of the Doyen. Think about how the Doyen would react towards the Nova delegation. Also think about what the Aberrants would do with this opportunity...fake a friendly visit to get the Nova delegates in trouble etc etc. Also how about the A-T's policy on information control from the Nova age...it would be interesting to see the Nova's and the Trinity disagree on points of history such as who President Randell Portman really was...i.e. a Nova. (I bet the FSA would love that one!) What if the delegates are contacted by one of the last Quantakinetics and asked for asylum...oh the possibilities!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ranger:
If I remember correctly the discovery of the Eden Novas was the spark that lead the other Psi orders to attempt to capture the "reckless and dangerous" Teleporters. That and the secret urging of the Doyen. Think about how the Doyen would react towards the Nova delegation. Also think about what the Aberrants would do with this opportunity...fake a friendly visit to get the Nova delegates in trouble etc etc. Also how about the A-T's policy on information control from the Nova age...it would be interesting to see the Nova's and the Trinity disagree on points of history such as who President Randell Portman really was...i.e. a Nova. (I bet the FSA would love that one!) What if the delegates are contacted by one of the last Quantakinetics and asked for asylum...oh the possibilities!!!

Ah, the other thing to consider is how the Aeon Society issued propaganda to attempt to cover up the fact that some of the Novas did not go mad. They might need to cover their tracks if the Novas realise the truth. That could alienate the Aeon Society from some of th Orders as well as the Novas. Might even spark some stuff elsewhere.
Also, some Aberrants could masquerade as the Nova delegation. That would really cause problems. Sheesh, these ideas are good!

AEON

------------------

Let us not forget what led to the Quantakinetics demise as well. They were in contact with other novas, and they were purged. Think about it a second. We are going to remove what is probably our greatest weapon against the aberrants because they have been doing secret research with and on novas?!?!? What's up with that? While the Doyen are able to slip around undetected by the Clairs', they would be trackable by quantumn tracking novas (?). Can't have that. Also, novas would be able to point inquisitive parties in the 'right' direction concerning Aeon and the Prometheus Chambers (Ranger is Da Man!). Why did the Clairs' founder lead his people to the 'safety' of the moon? Come on. High Radiation levels, pressurized domes, canned air, and half the time your on the wrong side of the earth as far as detection goes. But, you do have a limited population and it is easier to see 'them' coming for you as long as you know which 'them' to look out for. As for 'them', you put the Telepaths (Hey, that guy was just possessed!), Norca (we are trained to notice mental abnormalities as we know the flesh is mutable), and Vitakinetics (hey, this guy is having a possession/ psychic trauma episode) in the 'suspect' category because they all are possible threats to the Doyen involvement, yet remain intact. The Legion does what it is told and can't detect jack. They are also overwhelmingly focused on fighting Aberrants to look back over their shoulders and see what is happening back here on earth. The Electros are too self-interested or too cautious to be a threat. Threaten the economy, and their Proxy can be brought to heel. Gosh and Golly, but I love those sneaky little Aeon Trinity folks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jager:
Let us not forget what led to the Quantakinetics demise as well. They were in contact with other novas, and they were purged. Think about it a second. We are going to remove what is probably our greatest weapon against the aberrants because they have been doing secret research with and on novas?!?!? What's up with that? While the Doyen are able to slip around undetected by the Clairs', they would be trackable by quantumn tracking novas (?). Can't have that. Also, novas would be able to point inquisitive parties in the 'right' direction concerning Aeon and the Prometheus Chambers (Ranger is Da Man!). Why did the Clairs' founder lead his people to the 'safety' of the moon? Come on. High Radiation levels, pressurized domes, canned air, and half the time your on the wrong side of the earth as far as detection goes. But, you do have a limited population and it is easier to see 'them' coming for you as long as you know which 'them' to look out for. As for 'them', you put the Telepaths (Hey, that guy was just possessed!), Norca (we are trained to notice mental abnormalities as we know the flesh is mutable), and Vitakinetics (hey, this guy is having a possession/ psychic trauma episode) in the 'suspect' category because they all are possible threats to the Doyen involvement, yet remain intact. The Legion does what it is told and can't detect jack. They are also overwhelmingly focused on fighting Aberrants to look back over their shoulders and see what is happening back here on earth. The Electros are too self-interested or too cautious to be a threat. Threaten the economy, and their Proxy can be brought to heel. Gosh and Golly, but I love those sneaky little Aeon Trinity folks.

That is true. They also spend a large amount of their time bickering amongst themselves. They are quite good at it actually.
This could be their downfall. But lets not forget about how the clears cannot sense earth after 2122. This is not a good situation. Not good at all...

AEON

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Scuttlebut on the Trinity Forum was that there might, emphasis on might, be a book out on the Edenite Noivas in the future. I guess it all depends on sales of the other Trinity books to come.

Anyways, the reason the other Orders tried to snag the Jumpers...

I thought that their revelations of Eden came after the return. I seem to remember from the book that the Jumpers were going to be snared because the other Orders wanted to have a more tightened control over them. The return was accredited to the fact that they no longer needed the Upeo, as the Orgotek Leviathan jumpships were now avaiable and tested.

I could be wrong, I can't seem to find my book right now.

------------------

The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

Pretty much correct...the revelation of the Eden Novas and the Upeo connection to them was the nail in the Teleporters coffin. The other orders attempted to capture them partly at the hidden urging of the Doyen...not that they knew this.

The return was facilitated by the fact that the Leviathan Jump Ships existed but also the Upeo learned of the Doyen/chromatic capture of their people and wanted to get them back...see Acscent into Light (Book 3 darkness revealed series) for a full account of the exodus and return.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ranger:
Pretty much correct...the revelation of the Eden Novas and the Upeo connection to them was the nail in the Teleporters coffin. The other orders attempted to capture them partly at the hidden urging of the Doyen...not that they knew this.

The return was facilitated by the fact that the Leviathan Jump Ships existed but also the Upeo learned of the Doyen/chromatic capture of their people and wanted to get them back...see Acscent into Light (Book 3 darkness revealed series) for a full account of the exodus and return.

Okay, that sounds right. My bad.

------------------
The Eleventh Wonder of the World.

Hype, Sacrelige, Uniforms...

Kirby, the Darkness reveaaled series comes in three books. White Wolf's online catalog has copies of the trilogy...the names of the individual modules are "Descent into darkness", "passage through shadow" and "ascent into light". I have run the whole series, it can be very good if the players have no idea about the Trinity backstory. (Doyen etc)

Thanks. Now that I've seen it on WW Online, I can search for one that's a tad less expensive (well, to an American, US$15.95 isn't too bad I'll bet, but we're running a half-buck on the AU$ at the moment! That would make it around AU$31.90, including any shipping, which will inevitably be in US$ again...

I know what you mean Kirby...the average price of a WW book over here in Irish pounds is about 2.00 higher than the cover price in dollars. So we end up paying twenty pounds for a book marked eighteen dollars. In addition to this the Irish pound is worth 1.15 dollars at the moment so we are really paying 23 dollars for a book marked 18! Grrrr I hate that.

I know we ditched the British Pound sometime in the 50s. I guess the government just decided that they weren't going to wait for the Pound to Decimalize, and got a new currency. Considering that for all intents and purposes we are a seperate country to Britain, we were quite within our rights to do that.

As for why we chose to call it the Dollar instead of the Pound, beats me. It's not the US$ (although now I wish we did, get lots of goodies cheaper, like petrol), It's just called the Australian Dollar (AU$). Maybe we just wanted to look better in the eyes of America or something.

I know we ditched the British Pound sometime in the 50s. I guess the government just decided that they weren't going to wait for the Pound to Decimalize, and got a new currency. Considering that for all intents and purposes we are a seperate country to Britain, we were quite within our rights to do that.

As for why we chose to call it the Dollar instead of the Pound, beats me. It's not the US$ (although now I wish we did, get lots of goodies cheaper, like petrol), It's just called the Australian Dollar (AU$). Maybe we just wanted to look better in the eyes of America or something.

Yeah, Ireland ditched the English pound (sterling) for the Irish Pound (punt) sometime in the sixities I think. Most of the old colonies and protectorates were doing that at the time.

Ireland is part of the EU; thats one of the reasons why we are getting screwed currency-wise because the falling Euro is crippling the punt. (good for exports bad for imports like RPG books!) EU countries go over to the Euro currency in September or so and after three-six months there will be no old money left, only euros.

The one good thing will be that prices will be transparent across Europe and it will be easy to see if something is a lot cheaper in another EU country...especially if you don't have to pay to change money. You'd never know I had a postgraduate in economics and business would you? :-)

Alas, I am just a B.A. in History wannabe. Lured out of college for the fast buck. I can still remember seeing the headline that read: "Fog in Channel, Continent Isolated". I imagine that the 'Age of Empire' has a different perspective for those who were part of it. What do the two of you (Kirby and Ranger) recall of the last half of the 19th cent. and the first decade of the twentieth? Just curious.

That era?

That's generally not very well covered in our history classes. I know that that era was when we became a seperate country from Britain (1901, this year's the Centenary of Federation here), that was when we got cars, and the Victorian Gold Rush. That's about it to be honest, I never read that much history, and the biggest "history issue" in the media at the moment is the Aboriginal "Stolen Generation", and that goes waaaay beyond that time frame (from 1800s to about 1940 apparently)

To be fair, you'd be better talking to my grandmother (be glad to e-mail you her ICQ if you wanted it...)

I rememebr hearing that "fog in channel" thing before. For real empire stuff you'd have to find someone who has been born before the second world war. Anyone born after that time wouldn't really have much of a handle on it.

I can remember lots of fighting in the North when I was growing up...news reports evey night where someone had been killed by the UVF, IRA or other group.

On a quirky aside, during the war Ireland referred to WW2 as "the emergency". WW2 was not really acknowledged by the government in anything but a passing way. The government also forgot to get rid of the state of emergency they declared so up until a few years ago Ireland was still fighting World War 2 according to the government. (Some smart history major pointed it out to them!)

On a second aside during WW2 a german plane overshot England and accidentally bombed Dublin (capital of Ireland) thinking it was and English city. They only hit one house...the only Jewish house in Dublin at the time! Now thats accuracy. (No offence intended to anyone there.)

• 1 month later...

Are you guys into British history. That is really good. (Particularly Ranger.) I had an idea of creating an unofficial Trinity supplement covering the UK - as it gets too little coverage for the setting.

Steven Otte from Aeonsociety said that he would post it on the site, but I was wondering if some fo you guys could help me out (especially seeing that my specialty is Scotland - I dont even study history any more!)

What do you think?

Aeon

Hey great idea. I sould do one on Canada. Did you know, in the Player's Guide when they were talking about North America, They didn't even bother to mention Canada! They only talked about the U.S. As if they are the end-all be-all of North America! Grr.

Groan..... Please, Please, Please tell me you are trying to be funny, if not, look at a map and go back to school.

Quote:
Originally posted by Atwight:
Groan..... Please, Please, Please tell me you are trying to be funny, if not, look at a map and go back to school.

Well I reckon that Mr Bush does not acknowledge us much at all! The Kyoto Agreement? I think that it would be quite good if we just pulled out! Same with our big missile defence system. No offence to you yanks - but some of you are a bit big-headed.

AND we had an empire! ;-)

Aeon

• 3 weeks later...

Leave it to a pair of Celts to turn a discussion about plyaing novas in 2120 into a debate on the merits and flaws of collective US personality!

Makes me wonder if Celtic born novas and their descendants in 2120 aren't still out among the stars somewhere painting themselves blue and having at it smile.gif

Quote:
Originally posted by Thingmaker:
Leave it to a pair of Celts to turn a discussion about plyaing novas in 2120 into a debate on the merits and flaws of collective US personality!

Makes me wonder if Celtic born novas and their descendants in 2120 aren't still out among the stars somewhere painting themselves blue and having at it smile.gif

Ill let you know I am a scot! And not much of one at that rate because my family emigrated from Spain! But I can still chastise the USA!

Aeon

• 2 weeks later...

Archived