Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Posting Intent

Narrator

We never had a solid ruling for posting INTENT as in combat and resisted elements of the posts.

I do want to keep a good narrative rolling, especially when it gives the player a chance to elaborate on thier characters actions but I am kind of at a bump here.

I was thinking that first the NArrator would describe the scene then the player would decare intent. The next post would be the Narrator again posting results and describing the actions of the NPC's or world around the player. The player then could take the next post to elaborate more details.

Some option of that would be for the Narrator to post simple results in reply to the dclaration post, the player would get the liberties of further describing the narrative.

Anyhow, I am sure the rest of you might have some input. How do they do it on other sites you might be playing on? What worsk well and is flowing? What would you like to see?

I am open to suggestions..

Smite, just keep doing what your doing for now and lets not put the combat on hold while we talk here. wink

On other sites its the same. You can usually narrate all that you want outside of combat as long as it is only with respect to your character. Like you can't say what someone else is thinking or feeling. In another game I have a telepath who is talking with someone so I gave impressions of feelings but strictly as part of the communication i was sending telepathically. In other words i have no say how the other player reacts.

In combat one may declare actions but just as with table top the ref can declare the terms. So if someone wants to clse the distance the ST may say that moving that distance took up their whole action for the round. Oh yeah it usually helps for the ST to state the begginings and ends of each round. IE: ((End round one. Post actions for round two))

So one may declare an intent to strike, even dramaticlly describing the maner in which one goes about it. But i remains the purview of the dice rolling ST to narratively describe the results.

IE: Rama leaps into the air, coming down Muay Thai style with one elbow to the opponents noggin. You as ST might then describe the results as, At the last second, when the elbow is about to connect, the opponent moves with blinding speed, an is gone in a flash. With sudden awarenss, Rama realizes his oppenent has moved behind him as he feel a crushing blow to the back of his skull ((Rama takes 2 levels bashing))

etc...

Ah. So I just actually read Smite's post (sorry its a slow Sunday...) and I see where the problem is. Here:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Afterimages follow along his path like a pursuing hound, always on his heel. Running up the side of a still standing column, he was able to catch sight of her. And that was when he opened fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It is up to the ST to say who catches sight of whom, when, in this scenario. Smite does not control Calibre..therefore he has no clue what she is doing or where she is at at any moment. Smite shoud have said merely that he was heading in her direction but it is up to Narrator to say when he catches sight or what she is doing...and also to declare initiative..which is the first stage of combat resolution and the start of the the problem..intitiative was never declared by the ST.

I don't see why this is dificult honestly..it works *exactly* the way it does in tabletop...

1.) Initiative

2.) declaration of action in the order of *lowest* initative. Actions changed after this declaration may only be changed by using the Abort action option at the usual penalties...thereby giving higher initiatives the opportunity to preempt the slower ones.

3.) Storyteller resolution of actions. Aborts may be declared at this time, as when it becomes neccesary to didge a lethal atack by a fastery adversary rather than the initally declared strike.

4.) New round, new initative.

5.)repeat until combat time ends, returning to narrative time.

Hope this helps...

Oh, yeah...IU understand. And Smite, I was not bashing you or your post at all. I just thought it a good time to talk about posting intent again.

I saw some sites that use italics as intent and some that bracket them and make them a different color. I am working on to smites post, FYI...

• 2 weeks later...

ALL---

What you can do from now on in posting is a brief continuation of your posts in a what if, 'cuz what I am gonna do from now on is wrap up combats in two to four posts even if it is a battle that lasts half an hour. Combat described and worked out exactly like a TT game would take a month to work out on the forum.

ALL---

What you can do from now on in posting is a brief continuation of your posts in a what if, 'cuz what I am gonna do from now on is wrap up combats in two to four posts even if it is a battle that lasts half an hour. Combat described and worked out exactly like a TT game would take a month to work out on the forum.

Archived