Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: OOC Chatter

Jack-in-the-Green

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you go to the home site for this game (aberrantprime.com) and follow the link to the 'Aberrant style game' then to the link "The price of quantum", you will see the details there. I guess I could ahve put a link but then you might not see all the other goodies therein as well.

Whisper wrote:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The instant the interferance is gone, Whisper attempts to form telepathic links to everyone present, including Eve, and those still waiting in the other room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am assuming that this wont work through the walls of that particular room (though we were just leaving). Once outside it should work. What is the nature of the telepathic link? Would we feel/notice anything or is it surrepetitious? Does she communicate anything over the link or is it passive? Should we be informing you of our thoughts?

Quote:
Can I say I'm glad that I started with a little bit of Thought Discipline? style_emoticons

Hee hee

Asche has yet to inform me of the success or failure of the attempt, but the power is Surreptitious, so it's likely that y'all are unaware of it. Should additional info be required from you as a result of the telepathy attempt, I'm sure Asche will let you know via PM or similar.

Don't panic. Whisper only wants what's best for everyone. Just like you only want what's best for Whisper.

YOU ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR WHISPER

style_emoticons

Quote:
Don't panic. Whisper only wants what's best for everyone. Just like you only want what's best for Whisper.

YOU ONLY WANT WHAT'S BEST FOR WHISPER

style_emoticons

ROFLMAO! style_emoticons
and Whisper...do try not to shout! style_emoticons

Quote:
Asche has yet to inform me of the success or failure of the attempt, but the power is Surreptitious, so it's likely that y'all are unaware of it. Should additional info be required from you as a result of the telepathy attempt, I'm sure Asche will let you know via PM or similar.
I'm hoping he also lets us know the number of successes we each got on this, both your offense and our personal defenses.

You know, so I know how many more points of Thought Discipline I'll need to buy. style_emoticons

[edit] Hey, that's a thought that just occured to me ... those of us with Mega-Manip get extra dice to resist attempts to manipulate us. Do those count for Telepathy resistance if the telepath is trying to modify our memories? [/edit]

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=325:date=Jul 9 2006, 02&#58;14 AM:name=Whisper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Whisper &#064; Jul 9 2006, 02&#58;14 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Asche has yet to inform me of the success or failure of the attempt, but the power is Surreptitious, so it's likely that y'all are unaware of it. Should additional info be required from you as a result of the telepathy attempt, I'm sure Asche will let you know via PM or similar.
I'm hoping he also lets us know the number of successes we each got on this, both your offense and our personal defenses.

You know, so I know how many more points of Thought Discipline I'll need to buy. style_emoticons

[edit] Hey, that's a thought that just occured to me ... those of us with Mega-Manip get extra dice to resist attempts to manipulate us. Do those count for Telepathy resistance if the telepath is trying to modify our memories? [/edit] <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I dont reveal te number of sucesses or the result of te die rolls. I will send a narrative post in a PM to the initiator, in this case, whisper. If anyone sensed her or took some damage, I would send a post to them as well.

And mega manip offers no bonuses to resist telepathy.

I've been thinking in terms of waiting for Chronos to arrive at War Councils, but I thought I should ask - there was that one thing which might have affected him and needed to be sorted out first. Is that something that will take a while, and we should just go on without him, or is it a relatively quick thing to deal with?

Quote:
I've been thinking in terms of waiting for Chronos to arrive at War Councils, but I thought I should ask - there was that one thing which might have affected him and needed to be sorted out first. Is that something that will take a while, and we should just go on without him, or is it a relatively quick thing to deal with?

We are for the most part done, but I think he has been tied up in RL. Give him another 24 hours and it should be all good. style_emoticons

Quote:
We are for the most part done, but I think he has been tied up in RL. Give him another 24 hours and it should be all good. style_emoticons
Doc will I think make a late entrance. RL issues have been intense recently... (added 2nd job, first job's lule is over, and the Doc apparently blew it when he changed my glasses' perscription).

In character Chronos has an intense life and sometimes it catches up to him. For that matter, some times he pays the price of distorting time and in effect loses time. The latter case is rare but it does happen.

Quote:
...the Doc apparently blew it when he changed my glasses' perscription).
Big, big time. I'm back to my old glasses (which are and were bad), but at least it lets me read. I kept thinking my eyes would get used to the new glasses... and they never did. :Sigh: style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=345:date=Jul 11 2006, 08&#58;30 PM:name=Chronos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chronos &#064; Jul 11 2006, 08&#58;30 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...the Doc apparently blew it when he changed my glasses' perscription).
Big, big time. I'm back to my old glasses (which are and were bad), but at least it lets me read. I kept thinking my eyes would get used to the new glasses... and they never did. :Sigh: style_emoticons
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
When I had that problem it was when the doctor was messing around with adding prisms into my lenses...I thought he was using me for some sadistic experiment!

P.S. :
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chronos responds,

"Well in these parts it was a never an issue since novas never existed in the first place. In the grand scale of things novas are pretty much an aberration."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
style_emoticons The good doctor has a touch of wit about him.. Spot on!

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=394:date=Jul 19 2006, 01&#58;27 AM:name=Jedi Richard Thorne)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jedi Richard Thorne &#064; Jul 19 2006, 01&#58;27 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Did everyone else die and fall off the face of the earth?

Oh wait, we all did. style_emoticons

Murgle...I can't log on during the day like I used to. Job stuff.

I'll try to get something going tonight if I can... Partly too, I'm not sure where to go with this scene. style_emoticons <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Chronos is busy last I heard with real life stuff for a bit and Jack is too. I will do my best to move te scene along in time for the War Council topic and Smites topic to be done all about the same time so were all on the same page. Then having the prologue done, we can move on.

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=425:date=Jul 21 2006, 11&#58;41 AM:name=Eve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eve &#064; Jul 21 2006, 11&#58;41 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The party meanders through hallways and across a couple catwalks connecting towers and hanging literally miles in the sky.
Richard stops at every walkway, looking down and out at the city before continuing. "Astounding. It's almost like Coruscant."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, the look here is definately trying to be Coruscant-ish.

So would you describe the Supernal Space being something similar to the Umbra in the World of Darkness? I ask because I might not be picturing it appropiately.

Kara has training in very complicated D-jumps so she is at ease in traveling through the Supernal Space. The only trouble maybe in getting out of the Supernal Space. Getting in and out are the hard parts in getting into the Umbra, I assume the Supernal Space kind of follows the same guide lines.

Quote:
So would you describe the Supernal Space being something similar to the Umbra in the World of Darkness? I ask because I might not be picturing it appropiately.

Kara has training in very complicated D-jumps so she is at ease in traveling through the Supernal Space. The only trouble maybe in getting out of the Supernal Space. Getting in and out are the hard parts in getting into the Umbra, I assume the Supernal Space kind of follows the same guide lines.

The problem lies in the fact that this is an entirely new dimension for Kara, probably similar to the Umbra as far as you can recollect but the reflections here are based on Jacks perceptions. The conduit between the two areas might be hard for Kara for reach through with her Farsensing but should be able to get to Smite or anyone within say 10-15 miles. (Yes I know thats a drastic and bastard-raping of your range but Supernal space is...alien to you. It will take practice to get through it effeciently,)

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=444:date=Jul 25 2006, 01&#58;23 PM:name=Kara Rathien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kara Rathien &#064; Jul 25 2006, 01&#58;23 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--> So would you describe the Supernal Space being something similar to the Umbra in the World of Darkness? I ask because I might not be picturing it appropiately.

The problem lies in the fact that this is an entirely new dimension for Kara, probably similar to the Umbra as far as you can recollect but the reflections here are based on Jacks perceptions. The conduit between the two areas might be hard for Kara for reach through with her Farsensing but should be able to get to Smite or anyone within say 10-15 miles. (Yes I know thats a drastic and bastard-raping of your range but Supernal space is...alien to you. It will take practice to get through it effeciently,)
But Kara can make it through the Supernal Space to keep a mental link with Smite, right?

Kara and I have no problem with following Jack through the Supernal Space. I am just wondering what to expect once we are there. Especially if this is similar to the Umbra of the WOD. I don't know if I really like the idea of gong through a shadow world that knows strife, anger, and grief all too well.

The Umbra is the spirtual reflection of the physical world...It IS the Spirit-world. What Jack describes sounds much more to me like he is stepping outside of the Universe...Into some kind of hyper-spatial void although on the fringe. It doesn't sound to me like his powers are related to the Spirit-world...

Quote:
The Umbra is the spirtual reflection of the physical world...It IS the Spirit-world. What Jack describes sounds much more to me like he is stepping outside of the Universe...Into some kind of hyper-spatial void although on the fringe. It doesn't sound to me like his powers are related to the Spirit-world...

I understand the Spiritual reflection that the Umbra represents but its reflection was different depending on the characters perception (mages and werewolves would see some things differently, etc.). I am just trying to get a concept of what we are looking at. From the definitions that I am getting, it might be closer to traveling the worm holes in StarGate. I am just trying to visualize it guys.

If Kara is learning how to travel through the Void, Supernal Space should not be that much harder.

I sort of dislike talking about supernal space OOC, since everything I say is both a matter of perspective and subject to GM change, but ...

I used a d-jump through hyperspace as a touchstone for what traveling through supernal space is like, but that's only an analogy. With hyperspace, you are (theoretically) taking advantage of a forth spatial dimension that can be used to travel instantly between any two points in normal three-dimensional space.

Supernal space is way, way further out than that. Jack is leaving all normal species of reality behind - he steps out of the universe, staying just close enough that he can keep some reference points. In supernal space, you're dealing with all ten to twenty-six (depending on the math you like) spatial and temporal dimensions, all of which are 'coiled up' and unusable, which is patently impossible for anyone from a four dimension universe (like, for instance, all of the PCs) to deal with.

So, Jack creates what he's previously referred to as a 'liminal space' that allows him (and those he brings along) to retain some kind of frame of reference. It's not really a 'space,' so calling it supernal space is inaccurate. Instead, it's a sort of bleed-over zone right near the universe Jack's stepped out of.

In this zone, you're still out in the extremely hostile 26-dimensional non-space non-time that exists outside reality, but some of the physical laws from the universe you just left are still loosely in place. This is good, because you'd otherwise die, instantly, because your body just isn't built to deal with that kind of existence.

Traveling in supernal space is horrifically difficult for anyone but Jack because, well, there isn't any space through which to travel. In d-jump through hyperspace, you're connected to all places, and it's a matter of working out your target and breaking through between the three dimensional space and four dimensional space. That's because you have an extra spatial dimension to play with.

In supernal space, you are connected to nowhere at all - all three of your usual dimensions have coiled up and become useless, and time has done the exact same thing, and there isn't anything to take their place. Navigating is a matter of playing with the 'bled-over' physical laws that Jack's liminal space supports in order to rearrange your frame of reference to place you where you want to be.

However, since the physical quasi-laws of Jack's liminal space are entirely supported by Jack's frame of mind, that makes travel just short of impossible for anyone except Jack. It's theoretically possible, but you'd have to first gain an understanding of how Jack's perspective affects the supernal 'environment,' then work out how to use that understanding to your own ends. It is a little like d-jumping, but learning how to do it is still like learning how to d-jump all over again, from scratch.

It has absolutely no resemblance to the Umbra, and nothing which happens in the parent universe will have an effect on supernal space. It is also nothing like the Void, since the Void still has some degree of physical dimension to it. It is also nothing like a wormhole, since it does not form a connection of any kind.

When in supernal space, normal senses are useless. You don't see darkness, or emptyness, or anything like that - you simply don't see. The same with hearing. Since Jack does appropriate the necessary physical laws to keep matter from ceasing to exist, you can touch (and feel) other things in supernal space, but only those things which have been brought across by Jack. After all, nothing else exists.

However, any metasenses which don't rely on normal space or time still work normally. You can telepathically contact a person in supernal space, and vice versa. You can use ESP to see into and out of supernal space. All that kind of thing. Jack often deliberately jams those kinds of senses when he's moving in supernal space (just to ensure that nobody will be able to keep track of him), but he's not doing so right now.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So would you describe the Supernal Space being something similar to the Umbra in the World of Darkness? I ask because I might not be picturing it appropiately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->There's nothing to picture. You simply cannot perceive supernal space, no matter how good Kara is. There's just nothing to perceive. If you have the right powers, you can perceive the normal world from supernal space, but supernal space itself is imperceptible. And, as above, it's not really anything like the Umbra.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Kara has training in very complicated D-jumps so she is at ease in traveling through the Supernal Space. The only trouble maybe in getting out of the Supernal Space. Getting in and out are the hard parts in getting into the Umbra, I assume the Supernal Space kind of follows the same guide lines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Heh. No. D-jumps and umbral travel both still involve playing around in the normal universe(s). This is a whole different kettle of fish. And since the laws of the liminal space Jack generates depend entirely on his moment-to-moment perspective, it really does take a great deal of study to learn how to get around. It's possible, if you already have the right power set, but it's still going to be difficult.

Just a note that time is the fourth dimension. A strictly 3 dimensional universe would allow for no movement. The fourth dimension of time allows for not only position within the three dimensional grid but extends x, y, and z to allow for changes over...you guessed it: time! So humans live in the third/fourth dimension simultaneously which is why we refer to them collectively as spacetime. Semantics I know... style_emoticons

Kara:

So with Supernal Space, and I do adapt and allow Jacks definition and implementation of it, you are completely at a loss as to perception. The only thing that gives you a form of communication is your farsensing. With it, you could perceive sentients but you would not know if they are in a building or flying above you aside from a direction they are at. But like I said and I should have explained a little better, with practice Kara might be able to give herself a vision akin to the Umbra by focusing in on psychic resonances that in theory emmanate from all things.

For this trip, Kara is blind and dependant on direction from Jack.

Thanks for the clarification Jack. It gives me a better understanding of what Kara is dealing with and now she can react appropiately. I was not intending to make Kara appear to be some goddess that can do this or that, I was just getting the right "feel" for what we are traveling through. I have not read anything about Supernal Space and the best way that I can describe it would be almost like a traveling bag of holding. It exists in its own pocket dimension but you can travel through it. Would that be an accurate description?

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification Jack. It gives me a better understanding of what Kara is dealing with and now she can react appropiately. I was not intending to make Kara appear to be some goddess that can do this or that, I was just getting the right "feel" for what we are traveling through. I have not read anything about Supernal Space and the best way that I can describe it would be almost like a traveling bag of holding. It exists in its own pocket dimension but you can travel through it. Would that be an accurate description?

Very accurate Kara...it can be easily compared ot being "orbed."

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=474:date=Jul 26 2006, 02&#58;14 PM:name=Rama)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rama &#064; Jul 26 2006, 02&#58;14 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Embarrased again by all of the eyes upon him, one wouldn't guess that an Indian complexion could be so flush.
Does he have enough blood to spare for that? style_emoticons
Im surprised Richard didn't pop his 'saber! style_emoticons And no...the vertigo came on too suddenly for anything to come up. *ahem* style_emoticonsstyle_emoticons

I'd actually figured that Kara's higher senses would work pretty much as normal, assuming they don't have any particular reliance on normal dimensions. Of course, I also have no idea how they work, so I could be mistaken.

Jack has great composure ... one of the more useful aspects of having at least five or six copies of yourself sitting in the back of your head saying, "Hey. Pick the jaw up off the floor and pay attention."

That, and he's nuts. There are plusses to that.

Archived