Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Integrations and Introductions

Narrator

Quote:
Eve grins from ear to ear as she walks past the non-nova and nudges her gently. Then with a sigh she says; "I am going to take a breather out on the balcony and watch for the delivery man."
Richard waits until Eve is outside, then sidles over to the Doc. "Did I do something wrong? I'm not trying to offend everyone, but I ... I suppose that Eve is, well," he hesitates a moment, "she's the most startling thing since I woke up here. Far more than suddenly having a sword of light and living on a planet of almost a trillion people."

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Quote:
Richard waits until Eve is outside, then sidles over to the Doc. "Did I do something wrong? I'm not trying to offend everyone, but I ... I suppose that Eve is, well," he hesitates a moment, "she's the most startling thing since I woke up here. Far more than suddenly having a sword of light and living on a planet of almost a trillion people."
Doc responds gently,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Richard, I need to worry about the Ban when I use my powers, and I use the discipline to avoid it when that happens. No, to be totally fair there are things I can do which aren?t Ban breaking. You, Rama, and Whisper are in similar or better situations.?

?Eve breaks the Ban all the time. Her existence is forbidden, and that?s not a trivial thing. A bit ago the Ban caught up to us and she started dying. I was nearby and halted time until the rules changed, but it was closer than I care to think. Whatever her equivalent of the discipline is, I think she has to maintain it all the time. Every second of every day, even while asleep. I suspect part of that discipline is that there are things she should not, or maybe even can not, think about.... and this would presumably include detailing how many rules she is breaking.?

?So no, I don?t think she?s offended, but I also think that?s a dangerous subject and we?d all be better off if you don?t raise it subject again.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Doc responds gently,
<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Richard, I need to worry about the Ban when I use my powers, and I use the discipline to avoid it when that happens. No, to be totally fair there are things I can do which aren?t Ban breaking. You, Rama, and Whisper are in similar or better situations.?

?Eve breaks the Ban all the time. Her existence is forbidden, and that?s not a trivial thing. A bit ago the Ban caught up to us and she started dying. I was nearby and halted time until the rules changed, but it was closer than I care to think. Whatever her equivalent of the discipline is, I think she has to maintain it all the time. Every second of every day, even while asleep. I suspect part of that discipline is that there are things she should not, or maybe even can not, think about.... and this would presumably include detailing how many rules she is breaking.?

?So no, I don?t think she?s offended, but I also think that?s a dangerous subject and we?d all be better off if you don?t raise it subject again.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Richard takes a moment to digest all of that, then glances at the balcony doors. "Tanj."

Quote:
Whisper gives Rama a quizzical look, then shakes her head.

"I apologize; I didn't mean to ignore you. Yesterday was a day of...adjustment. I'm afraid I wasn't as attentive as I should have been. As for your question, I am from a planet called Earth, much as the rest of you seem to be. I've never heard the term Nova before, save in Latin for 'new' or to describe an exploding star. People who have unusual abilities tend to keep low profiles, and there aren't very many. Is there anything specific you're curious about? I could go on for quite awhile describing the entire world I come from."

She smiles.

"As for food, that sounds fine...anything unique to this planet is fine."

Realizing that he had been mistaken, Rama turns a shade darker. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Oh...sorry...I thought that, well, uh...you know..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Quickly changing the subject he continues. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So...that's very interesting! Not many novas, er, gifted on your world...you must have felt very priveleged. Where I come from we were worshiped like idols. There were so many of us that it was dubbed "The Nova Age" by the baseline media. Unfortunately many of us fell prey to our own celebrity, whoring ourselves to the baseline's lust for us and commiting all manner of atrocities in the name of power and entertainment. I was one of the few who devoted myself to a more spiritual understanding of what I had become. Alot of good was accomplished, though so many of us still fell through the cracks. What manner of lifestyle did you keep? Was it difficult to maintain your secrecy? I am also curious as to the source of your abilities if it does not involve the manipulation of the quantum or sub-quantum strata"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Noting Richard experiencing a similar chagrin, he comments. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro--> "I can see I am not the only one concerned with the social mores of this new environment."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> To their hosts, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Thank you for being so understanding." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

To Kara, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro--> "I don't actually need to eat much in this form and not at all when I am powered up, though I still enjoy the sensual act of eating...it smells divine by the way. Do you have any Naan to go with it? Peshwari and Lasun are my favorite varieties..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

To Chronos,<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro--> "What more can you tell me of your philosophy, this Divergence?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Realizing that he had been mistaken, Rama turns a shade darker. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Oh...sorry...I thought that, well, uh...you know..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Quickly changing the subject he continues. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So...that's very interesting! Not many novas, er, gifted on your world...you must have felt very priveleged. Where I come from we were worshiped like idols. There were so many of us that it was dubbed "The Nova Age" by the baseline media. Unfortunately many of us fell prey to our own celebrity, whoring ourselves to the baseline's lust for us and commiting all manner of atrocities in the name of power and entertainment. I was one of the few who devoted myself to a more spiritual understanding of what I had become. Alot of good was accomplished, though so many of us still fell through the cracks. What manner of lifestyle did you keep? Was it difficult to maintain your secrecy? I am also curious as to the source of your abilities if it does not involve the manipulation of the quantum or sub-quantum strata"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Whisper smiles slightly and shrugs. "I was not worshipped, though I suppose that was an option, if I ever chose to pursue it. I preferred a lower profile though. I have power, but I am not bulletproof. Open use of power invites a response, no? Secrecy has never been a problem for me... After all..."

She tilts her head curiously and approaches Rama, her odd eyes boring into his. "...do you feel me now, in your mind? I am there. Not deeply, no...not prying. Just at the fringes of your consciousness. I've no wish to alienate any of you. But my touch is delicate...very few I have encountered can feel it. Fewer still can resist it."

Then she smiles and looks away, breaking the momentary intensity. "I cannot say how I came by my power. I've always had it, since I can remember. At first it dogged me. Then I mastered it. In mastering it, I mastered myself, my life. You ask what lifestyle I lived...I lived as I chose. Rich one day, poor the next...sampling and choosing. When I was scooped up here, I had spent the past several years in a very nice lakeside chateau. Simple, but elegant. I shall miss it."

"Your world sounds a bit more interesting than mine though. It's hard for me to imagine a large population of superhumans living openly in the public. What sort of powers do these...novas...have?"

Quote:
To Chronos,<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro--> "What more can you tell me of your philosophy, this Divergence?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Chronos replies,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Divergence is... a long topic, and not my strong suite."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Doc is eyeing Eve.

Eve turns her head and smiles a smile that Chronos knows means she is elsewhere in processing her thoughts. But she quickly comes back to the here and now when the doctor gets close. Looking back into the night she says in a low voice;

?This is too much too fast. Nova physiology or not I am concerned that even telling these new ones the whole truth might bring them into too much danger. You were right earlier when you said they could lead a normal life if they left, but now it is too late for them. Who are we to drag them into this??

Quote:
Eve turns her head and smiles a smile that Chronos knows means she is elsewhere in processing her thoughts. But she quickly comes back to the here and now when the doctor gets close. Looking back into the night she says in a low voice;
?This is too much too fast. Nova physiology or not I am concerned that even telling these new ones the whole truth might bring them into too much danger. You were right earlier when you said they could lead a normal life if they left, but now it is too late for them. Who are we to drag them into this??
Doc steps behind her and starts to rub her shoulders,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"In detail? Whisper could still leave, and she still might. Rama never could, his powers break the ban harshly and his history says he'd never tolerate Big and Bad's reign. Even on his own he?d find out and get killed. If he's going to live through this he needs us. Richard?s case is more gray? I have less to judge him with and I?m not sure Kara?s right about his sword. It?s not purely technology, it?s more a focus for his power. But what I do know suggests the same as Rama. He?d find out, and he wouldn?t stand it.?

"In general? Free will isn't something we should try to take from them. Even if we didn?t need them, hiding an ugly truth we didn't create would be a disservice to them. They aren?t children, we can?t treat them like they are.? <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

A small flitter lands on one of the teams docks and Eve glances at it as she turns around and hugs Chronos softly.

"I do hope your control of time alos gives you insight as to the right choices because something in my gut just doesn't set right, but I put stock in yours and the teams ideals and will support them wholeheartedly."

Eve simply embraces Doc a moment then adds; "Wel the food is here. Lets go see what Kara has made and enjoy a meal with our new friends."

Eve then walks casually back into the room.

"The food is here! Lets all find a comfortable place to sit and Kara and I will serve it all up."

Kara watches Chronos as he goes to comfort Eve.

To the room, ?I hope that we do not come off as if our skin is soft. The group as a whole has been through a lot of stress these past years. Like you, we know the loss of friends and family. One of our companions is the sole survivor of a planet that was destroyed by the Ban. To add to the stress, the group?s leader has had to take some time off. So it is up to us to awaken the sleepers and inform them on what you are up against in this reality. I was surprised by Whisper?s laughter at my comment about the cuisine found on planet. I eat out at times but I prefer to cook or have some of the local fruits and vegetables. The cuisine here starts to taste the same after a while. And Rama?s attention to detail makes me feel as if I were teaching a class again. It has been a while since I was an instructor. I had many students that would question the building blocks of the universe and many discussions were tangents from those subjects. Those are various discussions that I, Doc, and Eve would love to discuss later. We just want to make you aware of what you will be up against. Because of the gifts that have been bestowed upon us, we can sense that not everything is right in the universe. With that knowledge comes responsibility. It is a knowledge that is not easily ignored and sooner than later you will have to face it and act one way or another. I just hope that you are prepared for when that day comes. ?

As Kara is talking she continues to prepare the dishes. She does a check on the food.

?I would have made some Naan but I was hoping to have everything ready at the same time the food is delivered. I do not have the two hours needed to prepare the shortbread. I hope the rice will be enough. Let?s see the dishes will be ready just about now.?

Quote:
A small flitter lands on one of the teams docks and Eve glances at it as she turns around and hugs Chronos softly.

"I do hope your control of time also gives you insight as to the right choices because something in my gut just doesn't set right, but I put stock in yours and the teams ideals and will support them wholeheartedly."
Doc responds with a trace of humor,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?Time will tell... and thank you.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Then he follows Eve back inside.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Whisper smiles slightly and shrugs. "I was not worshipped, though I suppose that was an option, if I ever chose to pursue it. I preferred a lower profile though. I have power, but I am not bulletproof. Open use of power invites a response, no? Secrecy has never been a problem for me... After all..."

She tilts her head curiously and approaches Rama, her odd eyes boring into his. "...do you feel me now, in your mind? I am there. Not deeply, no...not prying. Just at the fringes of your consciousness. I've no wish to alienate any of you. But my touch is delicate...very few I have encountered can feel it. Fewer still can resist it."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Rama swallows as she approaches him, her eyes paralyzing him with their intensity. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So, then...ah, you...you can tell what I am thinking, feeling?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He stutters then looks away, cheeks burning.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then she smiles and looks away, breaking the momentary intensity. "I cannot say how I came by my power. I've always had it, since I can remember. At first it dogged me. Then I mastered it. In mastering it, I mastered myself, my life. You ask what lifestyle I lived...I lived as I chose. Rich one day, poor the next...sampling and choosing. When I was scooped up here, I had spent the past several years in a very nice lakeside chateau. Simple, but elegant. I shall miss it."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Still not quite sure how to react, Rama pulls himself together. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"ah...That is most comendable Ms. Whisper. Just as though there are those who are trapped by their desires and indulgences, so too are there others who cannot see beyond sacrifice and ascetism. Both extremes narrow ones vision. It sounds like you have freed yourself from this sort of material attachment to circumstance. I too have attempted to walk that path and is the reason you see me as I am now, powerless and fully human."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Your world sounds a bit more interesting than mine though. It's hard for me to imagine a large population of superhumans living openly in the public. What sort of powers do these...novas...have?"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rama puts one finger to his third eye. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Novas by definition have developed new brain tissue, a node of extremely dense highly specialized neurons that, over time, fuse the two hemispheres of the brain and gradualy replace its tissue. While research was still ongoing in my time...research that I was heavily involved in...the workings of the brain still contained many fascinating and unresolved mysteries.

What we do know is that somehow, the growth of the Mazarin-Rashoud node triggers changes in conciousness that allow the Nova to directly affect the fundamental forces of reality. Gravity, electromagnetism, the nuclear forces that combine to create reality as we know it. Because of the human framework from which Novas originate, many are subconciously limited to expressing only discreet effects although we know now that given study and the careful channeling of energies, one can do -theoretically- anything one could imagine..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Rama finds a comfortable cushion on which to assume his customary lotus position. If offered a chair he explains that this position is best for the alignment of the spine. He graciously accepts the food offered him, breaking out in goosebumps as his skin momentarily brushes with Kara's. He then closes his eyes, places his palms a few inches above the steaming food and prays softly in sanskrit. He brings his hands to prayer position and takes several deep, full, nourishing breaths before opening his eyes with an expression of complete serenity and begins to eat...

Quote:
Rama swallows as she approaches him, her eyes paralyzing him with their intensity. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So, then...ah, you...you can tell what I am thinking, feeling?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He stutters then looks away, cheeks burning.
Richard looks back and forth between Rama and Whisper, deduces in a moment what he must have been thinking, and then begins to whistle Birdhouse in Your Soul as he fills his mind with the lyrics.

The meal is served.... style_emoticons

Eve takes a spot not so far from where Rama is sitting, returning back to her ottoman, and assumes eating a small plate of noodles from Kara as well as something resembling Kung Pao chicken form the delivery person. She is mostly quiet and sits discretely listenting to the conversations and gives a smile to anyone she makes eye contact with.

{{{My timing was off....please resume as desired......}}}

Chronos eats lightly with only a baseline portion. As he's eating he considers and then says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Richard, I think I need to say something. I said earlier I felt your lightsaber was likely a Ban breaker, then Kara said it wasn't. Well, I haven't changed my mind. I scanned you when you drew it earlier, while it is a piece of technology, it is also a part of your powers."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

{OOC: umm Eve, I didn't make any noodles. Baka Gaijin (japenese) = stupid foreigner style_emoticons I made potatoes with spinach and 'chicken curry. But thanks for taking a plate. Narrator what was my cooking roll? }

Kara hears what Doc says and appreciates his point of view. In a very none condescending tone, she tells Doc as though his favorite school teacher was talking to him, "I have been on planets that are heavily affected by the Ban. There I used this weapon (she extends her hand and produces an Irulen sword) when I needed to and although it is tech, it did not produce the ill effects of the ban that we worry about. Jedi Richard's sword is more of an extension of his power similar to the swords that the Nashins(sp?) use. They use psionics to produce an energy sword and wield it quite effectively. Their swords do not violate the Ban either. So, the things to worry about mostly in relationship to the Ban would be technological distance weapons, anti matter weapons, etc. But on a planet like Paril, these are matters that we do not have to worry about as much. The planet has wards set up in various stategic locations to prevent the Ban from making all those flying cars (she gestures out the window) fall to the surface. If it were not for the wards, this planet would be very similar to medieval Earth."

Quote:
Chronos eats lightly with only a baseline portion. As he's eating he considers and then says,

<!--coloro:#3333ff--><span style="color:#3333ff"><!--/coloro-->"Richard, I think I need to say something. I said earlier I felt your lightsaber was likely a Ban breaker, then Kara said it wasn't. Well, I haven't changed my mind. I scanned you when you drew it earlier, while it is a piece of technology, it is also a part of your powers."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

"You are both right actualy. From everything that was "written", it would seem that rishards saber would be banned. But in practive as Kara can vouch for, energy melee weapons are laregly overlooked for the most part. Kind of a gimme I guess in the whole schem of things.."

Doc gives a half smile and says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Theory vs. Practice. Although there is also the minor point that Richard should be able to choose to use that thing at a range, albet with a lot of effort..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Doc frowns,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Theory vs. Practice. If an energy sword falls into some loophole, that implies there maybe other flaws or errors in the setup."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Still not quite sure how to react, Rama pulls himself together. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"ah...That is most comendable Ms. Whisper. Just as though there are those who are trapped by their desires and indulgences, so too are there others who cannot see beyond sacrifice and ascetism. Both extremes narrow ones vision. It sounds like you have freed yourself from this sort of material attachment to circumstance. I too have attempted to walk that path and is the reason you see me as I am now, powerless and fully human."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

-- "Interesting choice of words," Whisper comments. "Equating the concepts of powerlessness, and humanity. Is that what you...meant to do?"

Rama puts one finger to his third eye. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Novas by definition have developed new brain tissue, a node of extremely dense highly specialized neurons that, over time, fuse the two hemispheres of the brain and gradualy replace its tissue. While research was still ongoing in my time...research that I was heavily involved in...the workings of the brain still contained many fascinating and unresolved mysteries.

What we do know is that somehow, the growth of the Mazarin-Rashoud node triggers changes in conciousness that allow the Nova to directly affect the fundamental forces of reality. Gravity, electromagnetism, the nuclear forces that combine to create reality as we know it. Because of the human framework from which Novas originate, many are subconciously limited to expressing only discreet effects although we know now that given study and the careful channeling of energies, one can do -theoretically- anything one could imagine..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

-- Whisper listens intently, violet eyes flicking from Rama to each of the others and back. "So absolute power," she says quietly, then grins. "Except for that pesky humanity again. I will wager that when you are no longer 'powerless,' that your body is also no longer human, yes? That you yearn to be relieved of what you think of as the limitations of the human condition...as an unhatched bird longs to see what lies outside its shell. That is how you see yourself, isn't it Rama? A stately bird...an egret perhaps. Or swan. Patiently tapping away at the inside of what's left of your own humanity, watching little chinks fall, waiting for the final collapse, when you will be free."

"Do all novas feel like that?" she asks, directing the question more broadly outward. "And if so, who won the war? The old humankind, or the homo novus that would replace them?"

Rama seems taken aback, then smiles a bit thinly at Whisper. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I guess that means you really aren't in my head...nothing could be further from the truth."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

He suddenly grows *very* serious. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I did not mean to imply that humans are powerless in the broader sense. I suspose it makes sense that you might interpret my words that way. You see, Whisper, there were a great many of our kind who did feel the way you just described. They were drunk on their power, saw themselves as Gods and let their humanity slip away until only hubris remained. I am no stranger to the euphoria of using my powers and it is for that very reason that I choose to relinquish my powers. I need to be able to see things the way baselines do, in order to keep my perspective. The body you see before you is human in every way, even my node is gone due to a high level of what we call "Dormancy."

Please, you must understand... I am a healer and a peacemaker first and a warrior second. I spent many years in the shadows of these mighty beings, as a combat medic serving the baseline soldiers sent in with Novas. I hope you can understand the gravity of such situations. I saw many terrible things that yet haunt me. When it was I who was gifted by the gods, I made a commitment to hold onto my precious humanity." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->He looks at her with a stare that holds none of the shyness you have seen. In its place is a deep well of passion and willpower and his eyes grow just a little moist. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I would glady give my life if it meant saving others." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He looks away and wipes his eyes, apparently having lost his appetite.

{{BTW, in his dormant form, Ramas nature is Paragon with a Martyr demeanor, athough with his low manipulation he doesn't hide much behind it. Here is a man of deep convictions}}

"There are a lot of ways to look down on people," Whisper answers. "Not all of them are obvious... If I misjudged, I do apologize, but there's a nagging feeling that I get when looking at you that there may be more truth in my words than you're willing to accept. Consider what you just said. You become 'dormant,' and relinquish your powers because you feel a need to see things the way 'baselines' do."

She extends her hands, one as if to shake hands, the other palm forward, as if to keep them apart. "One hand you hold out in amity. The other...you use to build and strengthen the walls between 'them' and 'you.' You may not even be aware of it. Your need to do good, to be enlightened, blinds you from your own shadow side. But can you achieve exaltation, without confronting your demons? Maybe more importantly, can you even -desire- exaltation, without succumbing to the beast of pride?"

Whisper shrugs. "A paradox. To achieve enlightenment requires dedication, devotion, and above all...desire. Yet to be enlightened is to set yourself above other beings. Desiring to do that seems to negate the very philosophy of enlightenment. Is this something you've contemplated?"

She takes a spoon and digs delicately at some kind of cassarole before her.

Rama slowly shakes his head. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"It really isn't like that. As a Nova, I had one if the most highly developed nodes on my world. Its growth and integration into my brain tissue have accelerated my neurological activities millions of times beyond the most intelectually endowed baselines. I cannot help but to have a different perspective. I can percieve things on a level that is simply not possible to human senses. Does this make me superior? Yes and No. Your reasoning may be far beyond an infants's, yet you do not "look down upon them." Despite your superior knowledge, does not their raw sensitivity and emotional insight fill you with wonder? No matter how much I see or how intelligent I grow, the most sobering thoughts are of the mysteries, the unknown. I know that there are those to whom I am but a child...and as for enlightenment, this is not a goal I have set for mself. If such a thing exists, it mst unfold in its own time, as a tree blossoming."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

He steps forward and very gently places his palms to hers and looks deep into her indigo eyes, then places her left hand over his heart and his right over hers so they can feel the rhythms of each other's hearts.

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I do not understand why you think I put a wall between myself and others. I surrender my powers so that I am not ruled by them...to know that I can give them up at anytime. I have been very succesful in my devotion to this practice and I am reluctant to manifest my Deva form without good cause. I spent time with my family, playing with my neieces and nephews, volunteering to help with farming and building for the community. Could I accomplish these things faster and easier with my powers? Of course, but that is not the point. Even as a Deva I remain a servant to my people. Often my abilities lend me to great foresight and I am placed in a position of leadership, though I ask no followers. I do what I know to be right, like many other good people who have not been blessed and burdened with such power. I am no better than anyone else, though my ability to act may be greater. Do you understand? Wisdom tells us that the greatest of kings is servant to all..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

He pauses to allow that thought to sink in, then gives her a look of curiosity. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Why is it that you judge me so? My heart and mind are open to you."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Richard glances at Chronos, Eve, and Kara, as he carefully samples some kind of fruit. "Am I the only person not used to discussing heavy philosophy, politics, and similarly weighty subjects over a meal?"
Doc replies,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"You haven't changed. He hasn't changed. But the rest of your universe has... so he needs to talk about what the universe was and his place in it."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Doc shrugs. <!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"It's healthy."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Whisper chuckles and spreads her hands apologetically.

"Sorry. It's a bad habit I have. Presented with one side of things, I always seem to veer for the other side. I've always been more of a yin-yanger, myself. Balance of opposites and all that. When I hear someone claim not to have a dark side, I immediately start prying for one."

She bends her head a bit. "Please accept my apology. It's impolite of me at best, especially since we've only just met."

Quote:

"Sorry. It's a bad habit I have. Presented with one side of things, I always seem to veer for the other side. I've always been more of a yin-yanger, myself. Balance of opposites and all that. When I hear someone claim not to have a dark side, I immediately start prying for one."

She bends her head a bit. "Please accept my apology. It's impolite of me at best, especially since we've only just met."
Richard raises an eyebrow at Whisper's particular choice of words, then mutters mostly to himself, "I better not have a dark side. Darth Richard sounds lame."

Quote:

{{Whisper more than most (having looked into his mind) would see that here is a person who has been doing his "inner work" ... that is, confronting one's "darkside" and the selfish urges of humanity...for the better part of his entire life. BTW, he eats the spinach and potatoes but not the chicken, good as the curry smells. It is not in the spirit of Ahimsa.}}

Rama gives a knowing smile. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Apology accepted. We often see what we are in the world. It pleases me to break the mold of your expectations, Ms. Whisper, though I sense that the depth of our conversation is not pleasing to Richard."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He gestures broadly to the balcony. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Please my friend...I have seen the way you have been eyeing these people's mode of trasport. Perhaps we can secure one from our hosts..."
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Rama gives a knowing smile. <!--coloro:#3366ff--><span style="color:#3366ff"><!--/coloro-->"Apology accepted. We often see what we are in the world. It pleases me to break the mold of your expectations, Ms. Whisper, though I sense that the depth of our conversation is not pleasing to Richard."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He gestures broadly to the balcony. <!--coloro:#3366ff--><span style="color:#3366ff"><!--/coloro-->"Please my friend...I have seen the way you have been eyeing these people's mode of trasport. Perhaps we can secure one from our hosts..."
<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

At the mention of transport and going out alone, the as of yet silent Eve speaks up.

"Uhh. Rama. Richard. Like we brushed over earlier, we would prefer to keep you here in our compound for a few more days. You are not a prisoner but there are a few more things we need to consider. One is the unlikely chance that the reality here will reject you and cause massive paradox backlash. We are carefully controlling the quantum levels here within our buildings but outside we are at the mercy of the uncaring universe.'

She takes another small bite and adds; "I hope you understand. Just bear with us a few more days."

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->At the mention of transport and going out alone, the as of yet silent Eve speaks up.

"Uhh. Rama. Richard. Like we brushed over earlier, we would prefer to keep you here in our compound for a few more days. You are not a prisoner but there are a few more things we need to consider. One is the unlikely chance that the reality here will reject you and cause massive paradox backlash. We are carefully controlling the quantum levels here within our buildings but outside we are at the mercy of the uncaring universe.'

She takes another small bite and adds; "I hope you understand. Just bear with us a few more days."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Rama replies,

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I assure you that as you see me I am fully human. From what you have told me the flying car is more at risk. Besides, who said we were going alone? I am sure Ms. Kara will make an excellent guide, not to mention keeeping us quite out of trouble..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
"One is the unlikely chance that the reality here will reject you and cause massive paradox backlash. We are carefully controlling the quantum levels here within our buildings but outside we are at the mercy of the uncaring universe."
Richard turns towards Eve, setting down his food. "What, so if we set foot outside, we'll explode? That is, quite possibly, the least convincing thing you've said to me all evening."

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=905:date=Aug 28 2006, 07&#58;00 PM:name=Eve)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Eve &#064; Aug 28 2006, 07&#58;00 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"One is the unlikely chance that the reality here will reject you and cause massive paradox backlash. We are carefully controlling the quantum levels here within our buildings but outside we are at the mercy of the uncaring universe."
Richard turns towards Eve, setting down his food. "What, so if we set foot outside, we'll explode? That is, quite possibly, the least convincing thing you've said to me all evening."
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"It's also not what she said," Whisper points out. "She was warning us that we're aliens to this universe...and it sounds like she's worried that this reality might not 'accept' us. I could speculate further, but clearly I'm no expert. Eve and these others seem to be though. If they warn us that going outside the controlled reality in this building may be dangerous, I'm inclined to believe them."

She shrugs. "But do as you will."

(OOC - Doh! Wrong account! This is Whisper saying this, not Allison. Hee.)

Quote:

Eve lets out a small chuckle and finishes swallowing her last bite as she stands and makes for the kitchen. Well it wouldn't be the strangest thing I have seen to see a human simply blow up but no Richard, that is not exactly what I am referring to."

Eve finishes refreshing her drink and takes a position behind the couch nearest Richard and Rama.

"We spoke of the various effects and affects, of the Ban, and the fact that it uses various forms in its workings.(<a href="http://aberrantprime.com/Flux/index.php?showtopic=10" target="_blank">link</a> to Ban details.)...."

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You all would know this part by now so I refer to it...

Dark Fae, accessible only at night and strongest where light never touches, is the most deadly and inherently lethal and violent of all the Essence. Unlife is linked to Dark Fae. When one Works this Fae a tunnel is opened between Worker and Unlife. In a few seconds, unless precautions are set, the Unlife will reach the Worker and then form a corporeal manifestation. Dark Fae exist only where change and destruction exists and is only usable at full potential when used for causing destruction or change. Unlife gets power at night or in darkness and lives in some areas by manipulating Darkfae to bring real the fears and anxieties of sentient beings. This is how many "monsters" were formed. In some rare instances, Darkfae via the Unlife, can exist any where that fear, anxiety, or worry exist, even in the light of day.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Eve continues especially more reserved after Whisper speaks, Eve is gesturing that she has hit the nail on the head. "If...and I repeat, IF, for some reason this reality rejects you, it will be first through the Unlife and Dark fae. As this planet has not yet had to deal with powers such as the fae and Unlife, your being rejected here would bring cataclysms in the form of dillusions and nightmares brough to life followed by a complete and utter technological collapse. As you can imagine on this planet, billions would die here. And all of it simply because you were not willing to wait a few more days for us to make sure your patterns integrated into this reality."

Eve pause a moment to let her heavy and rather firm tonations settle in. "This is something were not ready to allow under any circumstances. " A careful glance is passed over to Rama.

"If you like, we can tranquilize you for the next few days to make the time passing more bearable..."

The last sentence is said as she casts an almost 'I told ya so" glance toward Chronos.

Quote:
"If you like, we can tranquilize you for the next few days to make the time passing more bearable..."

The last sentence is said as she casts an almost 'I told ya so" glance toward Chronos.
Rolling his eyes, Richard moves to refill his drink. "Good grief, I wasn't implying that I'm going to fight my way out the front door to test it. It's just ... I suppose I can't fully accept the reality of the Ban until I see something about it work, in person." He shrugs less than eloquently. "You have to admit, being told 'The laws of the universe are out to keeeel you' is not the easiest thing in the world to punch into your head."

Quote:

For the first time Rama looks suspiciously at Eve and Chronos. He steps back a step. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I gave you my word I will keep myself dormant, which according to you will not attract this dark fae. How can you tell if this reality will reject us as long as we are being buffered from it? And what if whatever tests you have for such things show that it will indeed strike us down? The seriousness of your tone and thinly veiled threats suggests that we are more your prisoners than you are willing to admit."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
For the first time Rama looks suspiciously at Eve and Chronos. He steps back a step. <!--coloro:#3366ff--><span style="color:#3366ff"><!--/coloro-->"I gave you my word I will keep myself dormant, which according to you will not attract this dark fae. How can you tell if this reality will reject us as long as we are being buffered from it? And what if whatever tests you have for such things show that it will indeed strike us down? The seriousness of your tone and thinly veiled threats suggests that we are more your prisoners than you are willing to admit."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Eve's voice keeps the hard and serious edge as she stands near to the couch and makes funshakable eye contact with Rama.

"It is not entirely the fact that you are nova my friend. Its the fact that you are not from this reality. Period. If your pattern does not get integrated into this reality, we will need to make further preparations before you can leave. As far as how you can tell if its ready or not, you cannot. Since you have been awaken and continuously since then, your pattern has been monitored."

Her voice lightens up a bit more."It does indeed look as if it will integrate however but under normal conditions it can take 4-5 days. That is why at the beginning of our talk we mentioned even if you were to depart us and go your own way, you would not be made to leave for a few weeks. And I assure you threats are not given today, simply statements of condition. We are going to provide for you one way or another and in fine style for the remaining time until you are integrated, nova or baseline."

Eve looks at the new three and tries a calming smile but says; "I do sincerly apologize but reality altering repurcussions are things we dont take lightly." She takes a deep controlling breath. "If it helps you to visualize yourself as a prisoner consider yourself such with only a few days left on your sentence. Up until your apparent insistence on leaving we have been civil and the discussions have been good, why not call it a day today and let you all wander the facilities here and practice you quantum focusing.{{the ability to drop 10 quantum to 'bribe the Ban'.}} We can meet back here tomorrow."

<!--coloro:#cc0000--><span style="color:#cc0000"><!--/coloro-->If this is a good idea, Whisper, Rama, and Richard are left in this room where there are three attached and private rooms. They can also wander the public areas of the facility or shadow Chronos and Eve or Kara for some one on one time. This is how I will allow total freepost between players and advance time... If this is not happy and shiny and the debate needs to continue, post it here Baby!!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

:Sigh: Doc rubs his nose and says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?We could certainly send you out with Kara, but as I?m sure you realize, Kara attracts attention. Ditto myself. That?s not the issue. Let?s say you walk out the front door without training and get in a car accident, or look like you have money and aren?t from around here and get mugged, or reality does something quirky because you haven?t adjusted yet. Best case situation, you deal with it without problems for the planet. Maybe you get killed, maybe you flash some power and scare off the other guy, maybe something else.?

?Worse case situation, you screw up, which granted might not be your fault, and bring the Ban down. Worse case of this worst case, when the Ban finds you it also finds the planet. The Ban cracks down, civilization collapses around here as they move from a high technology environment to a medium technology environment. Considering this planets current social situation, it?s prevalence of guns, minor warlords and armed factions, the fact that its already at war, and the prevalence of various banned technologies, I believe that Billions of people would die in the resulting disruption. That?s Billions with a ?B?. Let?s assume 5 Billion.?

?At this point I expect you to tell me it won?t happen, or it?s very unlikely. So what do you think the chances are of you running into serious trouble? 1%? A one percent chance of trouble gives an expected average value of 50 Million deaths, all so you can go wandering around a few days early. If we assume you are super competent we could drop that by a couple of zeros, 1% of 1% would be only 500,000 deaths? but then if I assume you are super competent I also have to question why you?d be running these kinds of odds.?

"Note I'm not assuming anything beyond this planet because I'm assuming the rest of us will flee, just like we did before. But your odds are actually quite good. The problem is we can?t afford to lose, so given a choice, I'd really rather not play this game.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Rama relaxes a bit. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I really just wanted to go sightseeing with a chaperone and Richard claims to know how to drive one of your trasports. I thought it would be fun and refreshing, though if it makes you more comfortable I can wait a few days..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> he looks at Eve <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"... just so you know I consider any involuntary sedation to be a form of assault. I have no wish to sleep any longer, so please do not suggest this again. My apologies if I have offended anypone. I have no wish to be a part of innocent deaths, though you must forgive Richard and mine's skepticism...all of this still seems pretty far fetched and there are Novas with the ability to cause full-on waking-dream hallucinations."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> With this last he looks curiously at Whisper. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Or we could be in a technology driven simulaton."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He then seems to be overcome with embarrasment at the situation. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"In the meantime I seem to have killed the mood, so if you will please excuse me, I will be in my room."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

He turns to leave.

Archived