Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Integrations and Introductions

Narrator

Planet Paril, City of Pher

10:00am-12:00pm, Tharon 18, 488 CY

Quote:
Richard cautiously raises a hand to interrupt with a question. "What exactly do you mean by 'we don't worry about lifespan' anyway? Do we all get immortality as a side effect of membership in the Save the Universe club?"
Doc nods and says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?More like eternal youth. While I?m around none of us will be dying of old age, I can turn back the hands of time. That?s independent of Pax training, there are disciplines that should let you extend your lifespan. On a similar topic, if you lose a hand or whatever, we can restore it. Me if I get there within a few days, a real healer otherwise.? <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Doc glances at Kara with that last statement.

Quote:
"That sounds good, but ... just how many people are on your side, anyway? I mean, obviously I'm not up to date on just how things work in this universe, but don't training and research and that take a lot more people than the three of you and the two others you mentioned?" He grins over at Chronos. "Obviously, I'm asking from not-entirely-selfless reasons; I have this feeling that once I get settled, I might be able to find a person or two to train in Jedi fashion, and I think it would be easier to try with people already part of your fight than bringing in more."
Doc says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?How many? is a complex subject. Not everyone who takes orders knows of the war. Smite is putting together an army, but I?m not inclined to count more than him. Not everyone who is off on their own in the mists of time is gone forever. Even some of the known dead should still be counted. The woman I apprenticed with recently is dead. She was murdered a few hundred years from now, but she remains a powerful influence that we dare not ignore. The reverse is also true, there are some powerful allies who can not aid us because we know historically that they don?t. There are planets who would back us if we gave them the chance, but we don?t intend to at this stage.?

?If you limit the count to the movers and shakers in the movement who are currently on this level of reality, then I would say eight or so. There are also several dozen empowered others also on this reality, and an unknown number who are not on it presently. But numbers didn?t create this mess and they aren?t going to fix it.?

"And if you are looking for someone to train, I would ask Allison for advise."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rama had arrived about 10 minutes before the scheduled time, seeming to be as alert and graceful as ever and takes up his comfortable full lotus position on the floor while he waits for the meeting to begin. His eufiber looks the same as before. Simple tan cotton loose-fitting pants and a burgundy embroidered vest. He wears quartz beads arouns his wrists and a single wooden prayer bead necklace. Still feeling raw from the shock of his new surroundings it was good that he had taken time to go through his morning asana practice and meditations. He gives a soft and gentle good morning to the others as they arrive, maintaining his composure in the presence of the women, though his heart still skips a beat at first sight. He had somewhere acquired a steaming hot mug of Chai, which he has been sipping slowly as he listens to the others continue the conversation at hand.

When Chronos mentions Smite's army he finally speaks up.

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->

"Forgive my presumption but from what you have told us already, this doesn't sound like a war you can win with the strength of your swords. How can you fight a demon who exists perpetually beyond your reach? Yet as I implied before, your confidence suggests you have given no small amount of thought to the subject. I think it would benefit us all if we understood more of the particulars in what you are attempting to do. That would help us to make more informed choices as to how, if we so desire, can be of service to your cause. As westerners liked to have said, "The devil is in the details"..." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

With more levity, he adds, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"It is certainly going to take more than harsh language."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> style_emoticons

"Our methods may be appear to be a bit backwards at times, but we do have a plan in place but it is constantly changing depending on the nature of the war. I appreciate your desire to know all at once but I think that instead of talking about the war, we can start the training with Divergence and the facilities that have to support that philosophy. From there, we have the library where you can learn more about the multi-verse that you have awakened to."

Quote:
When Chronos mentions Smite's army he finally speaks up.
"Forgive my presumption but from what you have told us already, this doesn't sound like a war you can win with the strength of your swords. How can you fight a demon who exists perpetually beyond your reach? Yet as I implied before, your confidence suggests you have given no small amount of thought to the subject. I think it would benefit us all if we understood more of the particulars in what you are attempting to do. That would help us to make more informed choices as to how, if we so desire, can be of service to your cause. As westerners liked to have said, "The devil is in the details"..." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

With more levity, he adds, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"It is certainly going to take more than harsh language."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> style_emoticons
Doc raises an eyebrow and remarks,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?When I joined harsh language was basically what we had. We barely had a theory, much less an actual plan. The general idea was to slowly gain enough power without anyone noticing until we could actually do something. The first thing to realize is there is NO upper limit on how powerful novas can become. Mind you, that?s not just a theory that?s true in practice. We?ve met a nova who could, and did, create her own universe. The next thing to realize is that it?s a big universe and there are a lot of times and places to hide. Combine those two with the big guy not knowing what we are up to and it looked like we had an outside chance.?

?We?ve come a long way since then? we?re stronger and have gained knowledge and insight into the metaphysical issues. Also, fortunately or unfortunately, Big and bad is alive and well at this time. He?s no unreachable demon any more, he?s just a powerful man, and he?s had only decades, not centuries to set things up. Add to other factors, some small, some huge, and the pieces are starting to come together. All of us, and by that I specifically include all of you, are lost in time. Thus it?s not possible for anyone to go back in time and kill us by preventing our birth. It?s probably quite hard to even predict us, and I doubt any of us have copies on close timelines so grabbing a double and substituting them would be hard or impossible. I don?t think he can see us coming, and I think it?s possible to take him out, at least in theory.?

?And having said all that, for right now the best thing to do will be to continue to train and gather information. Eventually, perhaps soon, we?ll think of doing more and I?ll present my full reasoning to everyone.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Doc says,
<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?If you limit the count to the movers and shakers in the movement who are currently on this level of reality, then I would say eight or so. There are also several dozen empowered others also on this reality, and an unknown number who are not on it presently. But numbers didn?t create this mess and they aren?t going to fix it.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Richard blinks several times, then leans back, humming under his breath a song that sounds suspiciously like "Oh It's Bad Luck To Be You" to those with expanded hearing.

Quote:
"I appreciate your desire to know all at once but I think that instead of talking about the war, we can start the training with Divergence and the facilities that have to support that philosophy. From there, we have the library where you can learn more about the multi-verse that you have awakened to."
Richard perks up a bit at the mention of the library. "What exactly is divergence? You make it sound highly important."

(At some point after Richard has read/been told the details of the Ban)

Turning to Eve and Chronos, "Ok, so the Ban thing seems to be mostly bad things. I can understand wanting no weapons on interplanetary ships, and I can sort of understand wanting to avoid antimatter use - since even when it's being used for good purposes it's incredibly dangerous. But I really don't understand the reasoning behind banning AIs, and I'm afraid I get the ban on regular firearms all too well. I suppose what I really want to know is, how do I suffer under the Ban? I mean, my lightsaber," he pats it at his belt, "is certainly not a standard weapon. At the same time, it can't do anything out of my hands, since it's keyed to my genetic structure." He pauses again, mulling that over. "Don't ask me how I know that."

Quote:
(At some point after Richard has read/been told the details of the Ban)

Turning to Eve and Chronos, "Ok, so the Ban thing seems to be mostly bad things. I can understand wanting no weapons on interplanetary ships, and I can sort of understand wanting to avoid antimatter use - since even when it's being used for good purposes it's incredibly dangerous. But I really don't understand the reasoning behind banning AIs, and I'm afraid I get the ban on regular firearms all too well. I suppose what I really want to know is, how do I suffer under the Ban? I mean, my lightsaber," he pats it at his belt, "is certainly not a standard weapon. At the same time, it can't do anything out of my hands, since it's keyed to my genetic structure." He pauses again, mulling that over. "Don't ask me how I know that."

"Maybe," Whisper says, "it's a progressive thing. People tend to rely on artificial intelligences to reduce their own need to think. Therefore, from a point of view, one could see reliance on AI as being an abdication in one's own powers of cognition. There's also the danger...maybe overhyped, maybe not...of an AI becoming hostile. Notice how much of the ban seems to cover technology that replaces personal ability? No ranged -nonmuscular- weapons? Not that I'm saying that's an excuse, but it might be an insight into the author's personality."

Quote:
"Maybe," Whisper says, "it's a progressive thing. People tend to rely on artificial intelligences to reduce their own need to think. Therefore, from a point of view, one could see reliance on AI as being an abdication in one's own powers of cognition. There's also the danger...maybe overhyped, maybe not...of an AI becoming hostile. Notice how much of the ban seems to cover technology that replaces personal ability? No ranged -nonmuscular- weapons? Not that I'm saying that's an excuse, but it might be an insight into the author's personality."
Richard frowns. "The non-muscular part is what I worry about. I've known a number of the might-makes-right people, and all of them were the kind who preferred beating up anyone and everyone who wouldn't toe their line. That's the insight I'm getting."

Quote:
Richard perks up a bit at the mention of the library. "What exactly is divergence? You make it sound highly important."
Doc says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?It is. It?s one of the important sets of training that you need. Novas? have a medical condition called quantum backlash syndrome. It?s vulgar but more common term is ?taint?. It causes your powers to malfunction in odd ways and generate physical and/or mental aberrations. Divergence is the closest thing to a cure that we know of. Skip your training on it and you run a high risk of being insane within twenty years.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Quote:
Doc answers,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?Perhaps A.I.?s are banned because they are logical enough to see the Ban for the crock it is and could in theory be smart enough to figure out away around it? Or it could be easier, A.I.?s are banned for everyone but Big and Bad so he can have a monopoly on mass produced soldiers.?

?As for you?re saber, it?s closer to being legal than manipulating space or time, but it?s still over the edge.? ?Any form of weaponry not powered by the effort of muscle.? ?And speaking of manipulating time, that specifically includes anything that smacks of precognition. Visions of the future, precognitive reflexes, general feelings of what you should do now, all of those are out.? <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Quote:
"?Notice how much of the ban seems to cover technology that replaces personal ability? No ranged -nonmuscular- weapons? Not that I'm saying that's an excuse, but it might be an insight into the author's personality."
Doc says,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->?Now that is an interesting observation?.?<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Team Apartment HQ

Eve has been largely silent as she sits observantly on the ottoman near the wall.

"All this talking and questioning as to the source of information and whether we are on the right side of the fight is really moot. None of you three know us from Adam and cant really be expected to both believe our words and to put faith in us. Aside actually getting Ba'laan and Asche to come here and give a debate I am afraid it is all up to your life experiences and observations. Those will steeer you in the direction of the side of the battle you feel most home with."

Eve stands up, places her hands behind her back, and walks slowly toward the Kitchen.

"In the mean time there are no contracts were asking you to sign and no insurrection attemps on your conscience. We could use your help in whatever capacity you can offer us in training and forming a solid foundation for the future of not only my people and Novakind and Human, but for all species no, all realities free-will, good or bad. Down the road if life changes your mind we wont take it as harm done."

?We have found that Divergence allows for more free expression and it is the least taxing of the three Nova paths. With Divergence you do not have to follow a specific belief and conform your paradigm to that of another for it to be successful. Divergence is the belief that we promote. If you are more comfortable with another philosophy, we have training videos that you can follow.?

?Although your saber is considered tech, it is allowed by the Ban.?

?Ba?laan is of a race that created everything in the universe. For some reason they abandoned the existences after creating them and retreated to their reality. Then one of them reappeared and we know him as Ba?laan. He decided to be the only creator in this universe. Artificial Intelligences are in essence a new creation of life. He did not want anyone else to have that power. The Ban on weaponry is to insure that he is the only one that has the ultimate trump card. He has made himself and his minions above his own laws. It is really hypocritical.?

?Eve is right; this is a lot to digest. Lets have some food, you all must be hungry.?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->?We have found that Divergence allows for more free expression and it is the least taxing of the three Nova paths. With Divergence you do not have to follow a specific belief and conform your paradigm to that of another for it to be successful. Divergence is the belief that we promote. If you are more comfortable with another philosophy, we have training videos that you can follow.?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Rama reflects thoughtfully on what you have said. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro--> "Interesting. I too have researched this area a great deal and have had no small measure of success in experimenting on my own node. There is a method, which I am happy to share, by which the node can be safely developed and it's quantum pathways reinforced such that harmful psychological effects may be avoided. Unlike some I am less concerned about how Novas express our physical evolution..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->?Although your saber is considered tech, it is allowed by the Ban.?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Is this so because it only operates as an extension of Richard's Quantum Will and is thus considered to be "self-powered"?" <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Artificial Intelligences are in essence a new creation of life. He did not want anyone else to have that power."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--><!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->

"It's a good thing he never met Antaeus..." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> The thought sobers him and he trails off, another friend he shall never see again. <!--coloro:#6600CC--><span style="color:#6600CC"><!--/coloro-->*Godspeed Old Man.*<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->?Eve is right; this is a lot to digest. Lets have some food, you all must be hungry.?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Appreciative for the segue, Rama takes a deep breath and returns his focus to the here-and-now.

With a beaming smile at Kara and then his newly awakened friends he reminds himself that life is about the moments, not the years.<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"An excellent idea! Where do you normally eat?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

post-807-131291463232_thumb.png

?Richard?s saber works because it is not anti matter and it is not a ranged weapon. If a planet is severely underneath the Ban, then there is a chance that it will blow up or worse. But, on most planets, I would not worry about it. Of course, Ba?laan could have something up his hiny and he will cause watches to blow up for being tech.?

Kara walks towards the kitchen and starts to prepare a Nova size meal for the group.

?All of us here wield many talents. One that I do not use often enough is cooking. I am in the mood for Navarattan Curry and Saag Aloo. For those of you with a less exotic appetite I am sure between me and Eve, we can make something to your liking. What are you in the mood for??

Quote:
Rama looks at Kara with a mixture of astonishment and curiosity.

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"How is it that you know of food from my homeland?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Kara continues cooking the cuisine and looks up with a face of innocence, "I spent some time in Maharashtra and I picked up a few things here and there while I was on an operation. It really is a diverse land with many deep roots and strong traditions. I needed to blend in as best as I could and I learned to appreciate the cuisine and Subway. style_emoticons The role of a woman in India is much different than from where I am from so I quickly adapted. When you are on an op you do not want to stand out of place. So my contact, Nita Parikh *we all miss friends from times long ago*, taught me what I needed to know and she taught me her family recipes. I hope you all like spicy food."

As Kara deftly wields the palate of Indian spices, Rama observes with surprise and admiration

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So you must be the one who stocked my quarters with provisions from home...I wondered how this place could be so accomodating. Thank you." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> His curiosity piqued, he adds, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I grew up in the suburbs of Mumbai... Do you speak the language as well?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
?All of us here wield many talents. One that I do not use often enough is cooking. I am in the mood for Navarattan Curry and Saag Aloo. For those of you with a less exotic appetite I am sure between me and Eve, we can make something to your liking. What are you in the mood for??
Richard turns faintly green at the mention of curry. style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=694:date=Aug 10 2006, 02&#58;14 PM:name=Kara Rathien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kara Rathien &#064; Aug 10 2006, 02&#58;14 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"All of us here wield many talents. One that I do not use often enough is cooking. I am in the mood for Navarattan Curry and Saag Aloo. For those of you with a less exotic appetite I am sure between me and Eve, we can make something to your liking. What are you in the mood for?"
Richard turns faintly green at the mention of curry. style_emoticons <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Noticing Richards apparent fear or disgust at the plate, Eve gets up and approaches the displaced man. "IF you would not care for that, some think it too spicy or saucy, I can prepare you something else or call for something of your design. What takes your fancy right now?"

Quote:
As Kara deftly wields the palate of Indian spices, Rama observes with surprise and admiration

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"So you must be the one who stocked my quarters with provisions from home...I wondered how this place could be so accomodating. Thank you." <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> His curiosity piqued, he adds, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I grew up in the suburbs of Mumbai... Do you speak the language as well?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

"Ho (yes). Tumhala bhetun anand Jhala Rama (Nice to meet you Rama). I picked up both Hindi and Marathi while I was there. My training has helped me learn languages rather quickly. I may speak them with a heavy accent but it allows me to communicate and start to adapt to the culture rather quickly."

Kara noticing Richard's displeasure says, "I can make you something else if you do not wish to eat curry. What are you in the mood for? I am planning on making some Tatooine Sunsets to wash everything down (I seriously hope everyone has mega-stamina for the drinks style_emoticons )"

"How about you Doctor Chronos and Whisper? What would you like to eat?"

Quote:
"How about you Doctor Chronos and Whisper? What would you like to eat?"

Whisper shrugs. "Something local, I think. Something from the planet we're on. Perhaps we can call for take-out? I'm sure you're an excellent cook, but I'd like to sample what the ordinary folk of this planet call food. You can tell a lot about a culture by what they eat."

?Much of everything is owned by major corporations. Even the floating hot dog stands are owned by some corporate company. We can order something from one of the major chains that deliver her. What style of food are you wanting, Earth style Mexican a la Taco Bell, Earth style Hamburgers a la Mc Donalds, Pizza, etc.? Or a little bit of everything? Would anyone else like take out??

Quote:
?Much of everything is owned by major corporations. Even the floating hot dog stands are owned by some corporate company. We can order something from one of the major chains that deliver her. What style of food are you wanting, Earth style Mexican a la Taco Bell, Earth style Hamburgers a la Mc Donalds, Pizza, etc.? Or a little bit of everything? Would anyone else like take out??

Whisper stares at Kara for a moment...then begins to laugh. It starts slow; a giggle that grows to a shoulder shaking full-voiced guffaw. All the while she keeps trying to talk, only to be overtaken by mirth again. Finally she waves her hands apologetically and manages to gasp,

"Ahh...sorry about that. It's just...fourteen thousand years in the future, on an alien world in an alternate universe, and I can still order from McDonald's. All praise the death of indigenous culture."

She chuckles again and shakes her head. "Surely there must be -something- unique to this world. I've come a very long way, after all. I've no intention of letting my first culinary experience on an alien world be a quick run 'round the corner to Pizza the Hut. I've -had- that before. Give me something new."

Quote:
Whisper stares at Kara for a moment...then begins to laugh. It starts slow; a giggle that grows to a shoulder shaking full-voiced guffaw. All the while she keeps trying to talk, only to be overtaken by mirth again. Finally she waves her hands apologetically and manages to gasp,

"Ahh...sorry about that. It's just...fourteen thousand years in the future, on an alien world in an alternate universe, and I can still order from McDonald's. All praise the death of indigenous culture."
Richard looks on in confusion as Whisper starts laughing, finally joining in as she finally blurts out why, though his laughter is much more restrained.

Rama smiles at the sudden levity, though his inquisitive mind doesn't let up much.

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I too find it very curious and perhaps you can help explain some things along the way. For example, how could there be Earth-style Mexican food here? That particular style of preparation, as well as the ingredients they used, came from a very specific set of cultural, geographical and agricultural factors. Culture, including food, is an ever changing organic process. It is *highly* unlikely that so much of Earth culture would survive in *any* kind of recognizable form, even if humans spread throughout the galaxy. Even if it did, how is it that this planet's indiginous plant and animal life are the same species as Earth? The larger question that emerges from these is, of course; How is it that humans have come to be so common in the universe?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

To Kara and Eve, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"You look human, yet you claim to be far older than our species. The implications for the natural history of human-kind are staggering..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->?Kara was likely referring to the fact there are foods here of the ?stuffer? quality; little taste but convenient to get, similar to the McDonalds and Taco Bell (she says the latter with disgust) as there was on earth. Bu there is human, or terran, cuisine here. That brings us to Rama?s inquiry and that is a deeper seated reason behind that.?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Eve saddles up to a bench at the bar on the edge of the kitchen. A small device akin to a phone sets next to her.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->?Humans believe they were the first races to exist, according to their most common theologies. Observe the Adam and Eve story. There is much truth to it but the basis that they were created there by a god is incorrect. Humans are indeed a young race but the fledgling Terran Empire is vast and encompasses over 1200 worlds in more that 30 systems. They have accomplished in a mere twenty thousand years of existence what many species did not. There is much more deeper discussions to be has as far as that goes but you can research that as time goes; I am afraid I might have already said to much to offend your beliefs. As far as the reason why we look human is simply because of design.?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--> <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Eve gathers a calm endearing smile on her face that offers an anchor to any that might have just been blown away by the fact that she implied there is no ?god.?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->

{{ooc: Thanks Eve. I was implying that the restaurants are all corporate food that is very similar to Earth's fast food chains. Even the classier restaurants are corporate chains SIMILAR to the Olive Gardens, Chili's, Black Anguses of old Earth.}}

Kara is a little taken aback by Whisper's laughter and the Rama's deeply thought out inquiries. It takes Eve's words to bring her back to reality. Kara speaks in a low tone, almost a whisper, "Thank you again Eve. I was not speaking literally of the same food chains. I was giving you a reference that you might have been familiar with. I apologize for the confusion."

Doc just waves off the suggestion of choice of food leaving the impression he'll take what everyone else is having.

Quote:
To Kara and Eve, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"You look human, yet you claim to be far older than our species. The implications for the natural history of human-kind are staggering..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
Doc comments,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"Time Travel and Alternate Universes make this a hopelessly complicated subject. The question of how long our species has been around doesn't have a single answer."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Surprised that the seemingly unflappable Kara is taken aback, Rama feels the need to clarify his inquiry.

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I believe that you misunderstood the nature of my questions. It is understandable that a culture based off of Terran biology would come up with the idea of a cooked slab of meat between milled baked grains. It is however, highly unlikely that the meat would come from a "cow," or that they would call the baked grains "bread," or that the entire asembly would be dubbed "hamburger"...unless there are vestiges of German or American culture. Likewise, I am fairly certain that the poultry you are preparing for the curry is not of the species of avian that we would call a "chicken," although there is a great precedent for convergent evolution..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

To Eve, <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"You needn't be concerned with offending me, Lady Eve. Eastern thoughts on the nature of God differ signifigantly from the Western idea of a discreet entity. Brahma, or the Primal Reality manifests to us in the form of Maya, or illusion. In other words, what some may think of as "God" truly has no form...it is shapeless, formless and defies any attempt to crystalize it into a form of definitive understanding...for any definition it can say, "I am all of this and more." The Hebrews named it the "I am THAT I am." Personally, I think of it as closer to "I am NOT"... a circle with no circumference...it is the Nothing that underlies Everything, all-inclusive, yet nowhere to be found. In this way, I accept all of reality as a divine manifestation, yet worship no idols."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

"I have been on so many different planets, eaten so many different foods, and experienced so many different environments that I really have not had the time to contimplate the chicken that I was eating was really chicken. It is edible and provides the necessary protein that I need for my body to function. I thought that the most important matter was if the food tasted good and it was not poison or a sentient. We do not condone cannibalism or the eating of sentient races."

"As for God... I have met many but I know that they are not the all mighty. If God's existence is real which for some reason I believe there is an almighty, eventually we will all meet up with God. Hopefully the results are favorable."

Quote:
<!--fonto:Times--><span style="font-family:Times"><!--/fonto--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->?Humans believe they were the first races to exist, according to their most common theologies. Observe the Adam and Eve story. There is much truth to it but the basis that they were created there by a god is incorrect. Humans are indeed a young race but the fledgling Terran Empire is vast and encompasses over 1200 worlds in more that 30 systems. They have accomplished in a mere twenty thousand years of existence what many species did not. There is much more deeper discussions to be has as far as that goes but you can research that as time goes; I am afraid I might have already said to much to offend your beliefs. As far as the reason why we look human is simply because of design.?<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--fontc--></span><!--/fontc-->
Richard, being a Jedi, completely ignores any and all mention of deities, as they are not compatible with the Force. style_emoticons He does, however, comment on one other thing. "There was a rather obscure science fiction book I read a few years ago that has a theory that might match why humanity is so populous. To put it rather, ah, bluntly," he colors a little bit, "humanity can outbreed any of their competition over a long period of time - at least when they aren't in a constant state of war with each other."

As he opens his mouth to comment on the impending dinner, something else in the conversation catches his mind. "Wait - you were designed to look human? You're a robot?" He looks at Eve in shock, then reaches out to touch her skin.

Eve smiles as she raises her arm gently to meet Richards touch.

"Not a robot. The term most used is Artificial Intelligence but that is a loose term for anything vaguely resembling real intelligence and can be applied to computers. I prefer the term 'Synthetic Organic.' I can bleed, cry, feel, and do everything life born of a fleshly womb can. Some also refer to my kind as replicants but replicants are more synthetic and amde of things created like plastic, steel and silicon. I was made basicly in a vat and birthed out of a metal womb into the form you see now."

One who knows Eve will realize she was rambling. This is the one topic that still gets her excited in new company, especially recently. SHe is also soft to the touch and you cannot distinguish her from the touch of Kara or another woman.

Ramas mind puts 1 and 1 together immediatly. With a piercing look of astuteness he addresses Eve.

"Please do not be offended Eve, as I can tell by the way you look at the Doctor that you are as...human as all of us. However as an artificially created sentient, do you not fall into the prohibited category of The Ban? If not, would you please explain the distinction and if so, then how is it you are able to hide?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Ramas mind puts 1 and 1 together immediatly. With a piercing look of astuteness he addresses Eve.
<!--coloro:#3366ff--><span style="color:#3366ff"><!--/coloro-->
"Please do not be offended Eve, as I can tell by the way you look at the Doctor that you are as...human as all of us. However as an artificially created sentient, do you not fall into the prohibited category of The Ban? If not, would you please explain the distinction and if so, then how is it you are able to hide?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

As Richard absorbs her touch Eve semms to have been at this point in the topic mentally and ready for Rama's question, her answer comes without hesitation.

"The answer to your first question is yes, I am a prohibited technology."

Her voice is sure and calm.

"The second question is another dilemma that can be answered by saying it has more to do with belief and philosophy than you can know. I was created under and bound to certain means of conduct and it is due to this that I still exist."

She changes the subject rapidly. "Shall I call out for something Whisper, Richard? I know a few good places that can offer a good cross selection of the cuisine here in Pranth."

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"The second question is another dilemma that can be answered by saying it has more to do with belief and philosophy than you can know. I was created under and bound to certain means of conduct and it is due to this that I still exist."

She changes the subject rapidly. "Shall I call out for something Whisper, Richard? I know a few good places that can offer a good cross selection of the cuisine here in Pranth."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Hmmm."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> Rama reflects on Eve's dismissal. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I can see you are reticent to answer in-depth. I can understand that the subject may be a tender one for you to approach and perhaps now is not the best time...though I hunger as much for information as I do the curry..."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> He smiles at Kara. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"I ask only that you do not underestimate our faculties...belief and philosophy are both subjects of which I am especially fond."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Turning to Whisper he attempts to emulate her coy smile, succeeding only partially due to his persistant blush. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Speaking of reticence, you never did answer my questions about your heritage and homeland. Did I somehow offend you?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Quote:
Eve smiles as she raises her arm gently to meet Richards touch.

"Not a robot. The term most used is Artificial Intelligence but that is a loose term for anything vaguely resembling real intelligence and can be applied to computers. I prefer the term 'Synthetic Organic.' I can bleed, cry, feel, and do everything life born of a fleshly womb can. Some also refer to my kind as replicants but replicants are more synthetic and amde of things created like plastic, steel and silicon. I was made basicly in a vat and birthed out of a metal womb into the form you see now."
Richard spends about thirty seconds variously running his hands over her skin and peering intently for any difference he can find between her and what a live human would feel and look like - then he freezes, releases her, and takes a small step backwards. style_emoticons "I, ah, apologize if my behavior is unbecoming - I never thought I'd meet an AI. Let alone one who looked so alive." He coughs delicately behind his hand, and turns to Kara. "So, food?"

Quote:
Turning to Whisper he attempts to emulate her coy smile, succeeding only partially due to his persistant blush. <!--coloro:#3366FF--><span style="color:#3366FF"><!--/coloro-->"Speaking of reticence, you never did answer my questions about your heritage and homeland. Did I somehow offend you?"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Whisper gives Rama a quizzical look, then shakes her head.

"I apologize; I didn't mean to ignore you. Yesterday was a day of...adjustment. I'm afraid I wasn't as attentive as I should have been. As for your question, I am from a planet called Earth, much as the rest of you seem to be. I've never heard the term Nova before, save in Latin for 'new' or to describe an exploding star. People who have unusual abilities tend to keep low profiles, and there aren't very many. Is there anything specific you're curious about? I could go on for quite awhile describing the entire world I come from."

She smiles.

"As for food, that sounds fine...anything unique to this planet is fine."

Quote:
Richard spends about thirty seconds variously running his hands over her skin and peering intently for any difference he can find between her and what a live human would feel and look like - then he freezes, releases her, and takes a small step backwards. style_emoticons "I, ah, apologize if my behavior is unbecoming - I never thought I'd meet an AI. Let alone one who looked so alive." He coughs delicately behind his hand, and turns to Kara. "So, food?"
Doc comments dryly,

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->"She is alive. And she isn't the only one here with whom the Ban has issues."<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Doc seems to consider adding more but decides against raising unpleasant memories.

Eve is on the phone for about 2 minutes and calls 4 different places placing orders and everytime gives the same authorization number, perhaps a memorized credit card.

"We ought to have a veritable buffet here in about 20 minutes Whisper. I hope you can eat."

Eve grins from ear to ear as she walks past the non-nova and nudges her gently. Then with a sigh she says; "I am going to take a breather out on the balcony and watch for the delivery man."

Quote:
Eve is on the phone for about 2 minutes and calls 4 different places placing orders and everytime gives the same authorization number, perhaps a memorized credit card.

"We ought to have a veritable buffet here in about 20 minutes Whisper. I hope you can eat."

Eve grins from ear to ear as she walks past the non-nova and nudges her gently. Then with a sigh she says; "I am going to take a breather out on the balcony and watch for the delivery man."

Whisper raises an eyebrow. "I hope there's room in the fridge for leftovers. I don't usually eat large meals."

Archived