Aberrant: Ba'alt - Re: Role Call

Narrator

Post your arrival here as well (I saw that you are all using the COnverted Members as sort of a roll call right now).

When all are here, I hope oyu all will check back a little more often like you used to so we can get the game flowing again.

New Narratives arriving shortly to wrap things up and get everyone on the same page. Once that is done, we can start on the <a href="http://aberrantprime.com/Flux/index.php?showtopic=31&pid=68&st=0&#entry68" target="_blank">War council topic</a> and get s good jump into the next chapter. Please get into the habit of chacking here daily for time to reply.

• 6 months later...

Hey All. So...Im still here, but I have been having doubts about things, and I decided I should just share them with you and see what y'all think.

Its true, Jedi Rich backed out due to his impending move. We spoke about our concerns so theres a bit more to it. To be fair we have only just started and it took most of last year to barely get here, so its been a little rocky. Still though, I havent felt like our (us newbs) characters really matter. Not only are the others, like Kara, Glean and Chronos so far beyond us, but noone has really seemed to reach out to us, even when Ive had Rama make direct overtures of friendship. Part of it rests on me Im sure, in that I picked a rather alien character to play (what with his mega-intelligence at 5). It feels more like the older players are just going on without really noticing us.

Case in Point...when the others and even in Eves post, talking about the "two new novas" (San and Kinter) I thought...What about us 2 new Novas?!?

Anyway...enough bellyaching on that. The other part was that I dont feel like we can be effective...the main bad guys are like Matrix Agents....if you value your life you run...which doesnt bode well for a more super-heroic disposition.

Basically I dont feel like I have any hooks to grab onto with Rama.

So given all that what do you think? Do you all find Rama to be unintersting? I know Narrator had originally expressed doubts about his more post human nature. Is he the wrong one for this game? With the weapons dealer I ended up playing transport and support rather than expressing his Visionary Leader Nature/Demeanor. Is there a way to integrate him or should I bring in someone new or...It would kind of suck to bow out myself, but Im just not sure where the other players are at. Jack left. Kara, the one PC who might appreciate some of Ramas finer qualitites, has disappeared. Smite seems taciturn and quiet...only rarely speaking and preoccupied with his world. Chronos and Eve are busy with each other and the orbs. Allison barely registered us before beelining to Chronos and Whisper is as much an enigma as her name. Where is there a place for me?

I havent played with Glean yet, and he is more on the cosmic silver surfer style I first imagined for Rama. Maybe there could be something there.

Comments from all welcome...

First off, I wanna apologize for my silence. Coming back to work after a long holiday vacation has had me a lot busier than usual. That's finally dying down. I had a nice post set up too, but the board crash ate it, so that also set me back. Sigh. smile.gif

Secondly, I wanna apologize to Rama et al for seeming distant. It's natural at first for Allison to confide in the people she knows best, but I can see how that makes things insular...a sort of Good Ol Boys club. That's bad, and I will rectify that. In a sense then, it's good that my first post was eaten, cuz my new one will be far more inclusive. smile.gif

As for Whisper, I may have made a mistake trying to run two characters. It's hard to focus on more than one at a time, especially when both are in the same place and time. However, I'm not ready to stop yet, because Whisper is still a good interface for me and the 'younger' novas. I will be posting for her too, hopefully tonight after work.

The Sam and Kinter thing isn't really about them being novas either...it's about them having connections to present-day nova forces that we're not currently aware of. We're meaning to use them to find these higher ups. That's all. In fact, that might be a good mission for the newer characters. Or, maybe Chronos and Eve want to do that, and the newer ones can help Allison on a little chore she's worked out.

Either way, there WILL be a place for everyone. And you'll have choices about what you want to do as well.

Hopefully my next post will help set things up satisfactorily. smile.gif

With the weapons dealer I ended up playing transport and support rather than expressing his Visionary Leader Nature/Demeanor.

Now that's interesting. What with Zeph's bowing out we don't have a "Leader" type around, and I hadn't realized you were aiming for it. Maybe the solution is to have Rama head up the Serpent Inn investigation? There is the issue of how to assume leadership, but a vision from Allison would take care of that.

Quote:
With the weapons dealer I ended up playing transport and support rather than expressing his Visionary Leader Nature/Demeanor.

Now that's interesting. What with Zeph's bowing out we don't have a "Leader" type around, and I hadn't realized you were aiming for it. Maybe the solution is to have Rama head up the Serpent Inn investigation? There is the issue of how to assume leadership, but a vision from Allison would take care of that.

Hmm...i should clarify a little bit. I started playing WoD where they have an added layer of complexity for the Nature. Basically you pick 2. One is who you are (your Nature) and the other is your "mask". How you come across to others etc. (called "Demeanor").

I chose visionary for Rama, since his Mega-Intelligence and quantum senses (as well as his 6 dor Node) would allow him to see the universe in a way most people could never hope to. Ive never played such a whopping Mega-Int before so its really a challenge!

I decided he would come across as a leader (his Demeanor) based on his penchant for direct action...In his backstory, he is the tireless, never resting bringer of justice. He was tapped into computers monitoring the global situation (perhaps he could use Jacks networks for this). He is then able to respond to crises instantly via warp...seeming to be able to be everywhere at once. In addition his abilities lend himvery well to anti-nova applications, so in his timeline he had actually cleaned up alot of the corruption and was beginning to become something of a global symbol for peace and a new era. (In his realm he was on the upper scale of things, Divis, Pax and other people that skew things werent present (at least not in the open fashion they are in canon), but much of the rest was the same).

So in that sense he is a leader but not a commander. I wanted him to be a more"superman" boyscout type of character than i have played before, since chargen let us be more on the "Justice League" power scale.

In short he is The Singularity...a godlike figure i envisioned for the game called "To be Gods" . I would consider bringing in someone new if my concept proves inappropriate but Id like to hear from Narrator and the rest of you first.

As for "assuming" leadership, it would be a strecth given how everyone else seems to know so much more about what is going on. Kara is probably a better choice since she is actually from this time and place. Like her player, I also thrive most in a game when there is a personal stake in that characters relationships (as opposed to more 4 color action based). In fact, it was Karas player echoing that sentiment on the old boards that lead me to beleive Rama might be a good fit...Someone who might be able to match her intensity and regal warrior nature.

Quote:
Hey All. So...Im still here, but I have been having doubts about things, and I decided I should just share them with you and see what y'all think.

Its true, Jedi Rich backed out due to his impending move. We spoke about our concerns so theres a bit more to it. To be fair we have only just started and it took most of last year to barely get here, so its been a little rocky. Still though, I havent felt like our (us newbs) characters really matter. Not only are the others, like Kara, Glean and Chronos so far beyond us, but noone has really seemed to reach out to us, even when Ive had Rama make direct overtures of friendship. Part of it rests on me Im sure, in that I picked a rather alien character to play (what with his mega-intelligence at 5). It feels more like the older players are just going on without really noticing us.

Case in Point...when the others and even in Eves post, talking about the "two new novas" (San and Kinter) I thought...What about us 2 new Novas?!?

Anyway...enough bellyaching on that. The other part was that I dont feel like we can be effective...the main bad guys are like Matrix Agents....if you value your life you run...which doesnt bode well for a more super-heroic disposition.

Basically I dont feel like I have any hooks to grab onto with Rama.

So given all that what do you think? Do you all find Rama to be unintersting? I know Narrator had originally expressed doubts about his more post human nature. Is he the wrong one for this game? With the weapons dealer I ended up playing transport and support rather than expressing his Visionary Leader Nature/Demeanor. Is there a way to integrate him or should I bring in someone new or...It would kind of suck to bow out myself, but Im just not sure where the other players are at. Jack left. Kara, the one PC who might appreciate some of Ramas finer qualitites, has disappeared. Smite seems taciturn and quiet...only rarely speaking and preoccupied with his world. Chronos and Eve are busy with each other and the orbs. Allison barely registered us before beelining to Chronos and Whisper is as much an enigma as her name. Where is there a place for me?

I havent played with Glean yet, and he is more on the cosmic silver surfer style I first imagined for Rama. Maybe there could be something there.

Comments from all welcome...

Rama Let me start with the positive and upbuilding. You are an asset to the site and are welcome here in any form. You have proven yourself so far to be a thoughtful poster and an eager team player. I am glad you were not talked out of joining the game.
Now the negative.
Recall at the onset that I spoke out against some details of your character. They were worked out of course because you are a very expressive and very thought provoking (at least from what was said in private in our talks) person. The Narrator (me) is broken mentally on some level and is a bigot in spite of how hard he tried not to be; some character types are simply hard for him to deal with and he deals nearly enitirely on appearances. That said however, I was pleasantly surprised to see that in spite of the "odd look" and outlook of Rama, he is a rather down to earth guy.
I dont know that I can ever explain what I just said but suffice to say, the above mentioned trait may have cause me to fail to build the narrative around Rama as a good storyteller should have. Richard as he was a new guy and hanging around Rama got dissed by associatation. I had had plans to get a hook going that would involve the both of you starting this month. Funny how things go.

Quote:
The Sam and Kinter thing isn't really about them being novas either...it's about them having connections to present-day nova forces that we're not currently aware of. We're meaning to use them to find these higher ups. That's all. In fact, that might be a good mission for the newer characters. Or, maybe Chronos and Eve want to do that, and the newer ones can help Allison on a little chore she's worked out.

Either way, there WILL be a place for everyone. And you'll have choices about what you want to do as well.

Agreed and supported. /signed

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=1349:date=Jan 9 2007, 12&#58;11 PM:name=Chronos)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chronos &#064; Jan 9 2007, 12&#58;11 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->With the weapons dealer I ended up playing transport and support rather than expressing his Visionary Leader Nature/Demeanor.

Hmm...i should clarify a little bit. I started playing WoD where they have an added layer of complexity for the Nature. Basically you pick 2. One is who you are (your Nature) and the other is your "mask". How you come across to others etc. (called "Demeanor").

I chose visionary for Rama, since his Mega-Intelligence and quantum senses (as well as his 6 dor Node) would allow him to see the universe in a way most people could never hope to. Ive never played such a whopping Mega-Int before so its really a challenge!

I decided he would come across as a leader (his Demeanor) based on his penchant for direct action...In his backstory, he is the tireless, never resting bringer of justice. He was tapped into computers monitoring the global situation (perhaps he could use Jacks networks for this). He is then able to respond to crises instantly via warp...seeming to be able to be everywhere at once. In addition his abilities lend himvery well to anti-nova applications, so in his timeline he had actually cleaned up alot of the corruption and was beginning to become something of a global symbol for peace and a new era. (In his realm he was on the upper scale of things, Divis, Pax and other people that skew things werent present (at least not in the open fashion they are in canon), but much of the rest was the same).

So in that sense he is a leader but not a commander. I wanted him to be a more"superman" boyscout type of character than i have played before, since chargen let us be more on the "Justice League" power scale.

In short he is The Singularity...a godlike figure i envisioned for the game called "To be Gods" . I would consider bringing in someone new if my concept proves inappropriate but Id like to hear from Narrator and the rest of you first.

As for "assuming" leadership, it would be a strecth given how everyone else seems to know so much more about what is going on. Kara is probably a better choice since she is actually from this time and place. Like her player, I also thrive most in a game when there is a personal stake in that characters relationships (as opposed to more 4 color action based). In fact, it was Karas player echoing that sentiment on the old boards that lead me to beleive Rama might be a good fit...Someone who might be able to match her intensity and regal warrior nature.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
We sure could use a leader and figure head again in the Big Z's absence. Even a neck on which to turn the head would be nice. ::winks at Allison::

The bottom line is this:
The game moves slow and it is something I despise about this forum but it is the nature of the beast. I am one who does not like to assume too much about what players will and will not do so dislike posting global summaries as some do, even though this style speeds the game immensely. It is something I am working on and am running ideas around in my head. Rama, please give it another try. If you need ot make a new character, I will welcome it but it is not needed. Rama can continue life here.

sorry for the rapid summary....I will likely add adendums but my time is growning short at this moment....later. style_emoticons

Narrator, with regards to your bias, I think it is mostly a matter of taste. I have always been, and continue to be, a fan of the exotic. To me, the idea of a being with Blue Skin is beautiful (and for the others who don't know Rama originally had 4 arms like Shiva, but I toned it down for narrator). Of course, Chronos once pointed out to me that plating a PC the ST doesn't like is the equivalent to wearing a big "Kick me" sign.

As to whether or not I need to try something new, I really want to get feedback from the other players. If they can appreciate and enjoy the character Ive come up with, then I think it can work. Not that a character needs total or universal approval, but rpgs being a social endeavor in the first place, it just works better and will give me more to play off of.

What ever happened to Kara? style_emoticons

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...If you need ot make a new character, I will welcome it...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for the double post, but I was just rereading your post and that little part stuck out. So I want to ask...and really be honest here...

Does it really bug you?

If it really does bother you, I am open to other ideas.

However

In Rama's defense, he has several facets, which make him particularly interesting to me. When you think of his appearance narrator, remember: he has a fully baseline form which is about as badass as a baseline can get. His God form has a much more anime flavor, which may be the part that bugs you. While they share the same consciousness and memory, they are quite distinct. Going from Int 5 to Mega 5...that is to me, staggering beyond words. His powers make him a walking warping flying WMD, yet as a baseline he is a humble man and a pacifist such that he has to spend WP just to take his God-form. The sense of responsibility and reverence is that raw and powerful for him.

Please try and see that beauty is more than skin deep.

Quote:
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...If you need ot make a new character, I will welcome it...

Sorry for the double post, but I was just rereading your post and that little part stuck out. So I want to ask...and really be honest here...

Does it really bug you? <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NO. I am good with Rama now in spite of how a felt at the start.... style_emoticons I tried to mention how I felt he and you were an asset to thr site and my felling of bias were without merit once I actually gave it a chance.
So again, NO, Rama's appearance is a non-issue at this point and further, I dont think it needs to be beat up any longer.

<div align="center">Lets move on....</div>

Excellent!

So...who else is present? So far we have a roll call of 4. 5 if you count Allison as Whisper. We await Smite, and um...who else? Jack left. Richard left. Zeph is on Hiatus and still no word on Kara. Anyone I am forgetting?

Kara is... busy offworld...

The player will likely return off and on until she is available at some later date for regular posting. The short of it is, she has very limited internet access. style_emoticons But as we are RL friends, I will tell them that Kara is requested and has a secret admirer. style_emoticons

Quote:
I havent played with Glean yet, and he is more on the <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->cosmic silver surfer <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->style I first imagined for Rama. Maybe there could be something there.

Funny. When I formed the freepost story I was imagining good O'l Norrin Radd speeding through the galaxy on his trusty board. We, you and I Rama, might be similar in some things.

Also, FYI, Glean was originally designed to be a leader type by the Narrator but for one of his table tops I think. He has many of the perks or powers that leaders might need. His Nature/Demeanor is Watcher/Motivator. The only downside to this is the fact that Narrator will be posting for Glean about a third of the time, as it stands now, when I am incapable of getting to the internet. I know that when I DM'd I hated having an NPC as the leader of the group; it alwasy seemed like I was leading the players too much. style_emoticons

Quote:
<!--quoteo(post=1346:date=Jan 9 2007, 12&#58;41 AM:name=Rama)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rama &#064; Jan 9 2007, 12&#58;41 AM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I havent played with Glean yet, and he is more on the <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->cosmic silver surfer <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->style I first imagined for Rama. Maybe there could be something there.

Funny. When I formed the freepost story I was imagining good O'l Norrin Radd speeding through the galaxy on his trusty board. We, you and I Rama, might be similar in some things.

Also, FYI, Glean was originally designed to be a leader type by the Narrator but for one of his table tops I think. He has many of the perks or powers that leaders might need. His Nature/Demeanor is Watcher/Motivator. The only downside to this is the fact that Narrator will be posting for Glean about a third of the time, as it stands now, when I am incapable of getting to the internet. I know that when I DM'd I hated having an NPC as the leader of the group; it alwasy seemed like I was leading the players too much. style_emoticons
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
Interesting...so we won't ever know if its you or him??? style_emoticons

Yes your avatar reminds of the power cosmic (what is that pic anyway?) as does the powers and abilities listed in the meet the PCs thread. Lightspeed, Bodymorph, Quantum Control, and much more Im sure... Of course that makes him Q7... style_emoticons

Agreed that NPCs shouldnt be leaders. Consultants, and even orverseers, but not the active team leader. Personally I think we should be more Pantheon...more Justice League if you will. We dont need a leader...we are all too powerful, too willful for that. Rather our pooled strengths can accomplish more while compensating for our individual weaknesses. If this group want to accomplish something it is going to have to pull together!

Quote:
Agreed that NPCs shouldnt be leaders. Consultants, and even orverseers, but not the active team leader. Personally I think we should be more Pantheon...more Justice League if you will. We dont need a leader...we are all too powerful, too willful for that. Rather our pooled strengths can accomplish more while compensating for our individual weaknesses. If this group want to accomplish something it is going to have to pull together!

The Pantheon idea is awesome!! Frankly, it is kind of what we are going by now with the exception that the figurehead changes now and then.

And for the record, Gleans Picture is from Wetworks I think..it is of a character called Grail.

Quote:
Agreed that NPCs shouldnt be leaders. Consultants, and even orverseers, but not the active team leader. Personally I think we should be more Pantheon...<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->more Justice League if you will<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->. We dont need a leader...we are all too powerful, too willful for that. Rather our pooled strengths can accomplish more while compensating for our individual weaknesses. If this group want to accomplish something it is going to have to pull together!

I want to be Wonder Woman...err, Uh, oh nevermind....

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for being away for so long. I am back but trust there was good reason for my absence. I am doing my best to be more committed to everyone and post more regularly as circumstances permit.

I do support the panthenon idea or even more so a Justice League style. My character needs to leave from time to time and I will try to be more open with some of the things that Kara is involved in. I just have a habit of endangering the group by revealing too much before the story teller is ready and thus bringing down "fire and sulfur" on the group.

Quote:
How much of the plot do you know? style_emoticons

Are you like assistant ST? style_emoticons

Kara has played in my Table top for the better part of 12 years. She has seen the story evolve into what it is now and probably is rather eager to see some things through. So Kara does indeed know the "general" plot but I am afraid she lacks the ability to see which direction it goes; Allison would be better for that. style_emoticons What Kara was getting at about sensitive information endangering others is simply this fact: Kara likes to live in the fast lane and might try to take the team along with her. If she does and the rest of you dont hammer doan the accellerator someone will hit you from behind. Illustration aside, information she might divulge can lead to premature actions on the teams part. Actions that might bode ill to those doing it.

{{further comments on this, please post in Table Talk so we dont have multiple topics on such things...}}

Quote:
Excellent!

So...who else is present? So far we have a roll call of 4. 5 if you count Allison as Whisper. We await Smite, and um...who else? Jack left. Richard left. Zeph is on Hiatus and still no word on Kara. Anyone I am forgetting?

I am here. This have been interesting week or so but I am here

And I'm back, with another daughter... right here => <a href="http://www.borgess.com/Default.aspx?xc=vn" target="_blank">Picture & stats</a>

It went as well as can be expected... including the fact that it was a slow night so the midwife camped out in our room for the last 2 hours (total of 4.5). Notice she has hair... this is noteworthy because if my genes have any say this is the last hair we'll see on her till age 1.5 or so.

• 2 months later...

ROLE CALL APRIL 5th, 2007

Post if you are here and playing in the Of Flesh and Future III topic and are planning on posting soon. I will post replies to the topic as soon as I have 2 posters. Once I post again, the third time, you will not be included in the StarHaven section.

SO for now, I have posted once, as the intro to Starhaven topic, <a href="http://aberrantprime.com/Flux/index.php?showtopic=132&pid=1794&st=0&#entry1794" target="_blank">Here.</a>

Archived