Cloverfield

Andrew Murphy

Saw Cloverfield this weekend. Clearly JJ and company are fans of the Cthulhu mythos. The thing that struck me the most though was how much the movie reminded me of a "Victims" game. Not sure if people are familiar with the concept, but Victims games were introduced to me from the Palladium game Beyond the Supernatural. The idea was to emulate a horror movie as an rpg, the character are all expendable and the point is usually to have all but one or two character get killed off during the course of the story. The rules were such that a character could be created in less than 5 minutes and really only had 1 or 2 applicable skills and their attributes and a (low) number of hit points.

Brings back the good old days ...

Originally Posted By: *Overload*
Palladium actually ripped that idea (the victims game and much of Beyond the Supernatural) from Call of Cthulhu by Chaosium Games (sp?).

Palladium is well known to me to have lifted a great many of thier idea from elsewhere, this news is no suprise to me, though I was not aware.

Originally Posted By: Ptesan-Wi
I've given Cloverfield a pass. Neither I nor my stomach are fans of Vomit-Cam filming techniques; had enough of that with The Blair Witch Project.

I can't comment as I saw Blair Witch on DVD only and I saw Cloverfield at a Cinema Pub; smaller screen, house lights not fully off, flat seating, eating food and drinking during the show.

Archived