Aberrant: The Long March - Chapter 6: Making History

Mr Fox

Pleased with how everything went down, Omar accompanied his colleagues up to Lorien. There, he caught up with the others on what was happening with their projects. He also told the others about his idea, and why camera flashes had been seen. He hoped none of them were offeded, but Omar had a marvelous idea. It was in its infacy, and could be changed or stopped depending on how the others felt.

Omar's plan is simple: To use the media to funnel stories of extraordinary mystery people who help humanity. At first, they will be rumors, but as word of mouth spreads, people will begin to believe the stories. Depending on how well the 'mystery group' is received by the general public, they can decide to stay hidden, or come out into the open. Sort of a 'Team Tomorrow' for the 20' and 30's. Once in the open, people who exibit peculiar traits will seek them out, and others who need help will call on them.

After informing the others of his intentions, Omar gets a good night's sleep. The next day, he has Lorien drop him off in Chechnyia, where he can use Azimuddin as an aliby, should one be necessary. While with Azi, he will supervise the roll out of the 'exclusive photos' and story.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted By: Ziggurat

Omar's plan is simple: To use the media to funnel stories of extraordinary mystery people who help humanity. At first, they will be rumors, but as word of mouth spreads, people will begin to believe the stories. Depending on how well the 'mystery group' is received by the general public, they can decide to stay hidden, or come out into the open. Sort of a 'Team Tomorrow' for the 20' and 30's. Once in the open, people who exibit peculiar traits will seek them out, and others who need help will call on them.

Cody muses,

*Hmmm. Not a bad idea to put our media machine to work, though I we should probably refer any metahumans to the Aeon Society. That is after all, it's purpose and it will allow us to screen people before allowing them into the "inner circle" and the whole truth behind what we are up to.*

*So far as I know, Walter here erupted as a full blown Nova, something that was exceedingly rare if not outright unheard of for this era. The only other one we know of currently is Donnighal. I'd bet money that he isn't the first either. Our presence here amplified Hammersmith's effect exponentially. We need to be careful who we entrust with our secrets, lest they begin to run amok on us.*

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
With an effect identical to the transporters from Star Trek, complete with sound effects, Lorean transports Steve and Walter aboard. In the year or so of being in this timeline she has redesigned the teleporter device and integrated it into her makeup, replacing the original parts with ones of her own manufacture so that she can shift without damaging it. Now the room is a direct copy of the transporter room on the Enterprise D.
Steve remarks,

"Excellent taste and timing as always Lorean."

After the translation setup to be established, he says,

"I understand your name is Walter? I'm Steve. You've had a rough night but don't worry. Sleep now, you're over the roughest part, it gets better."

Originally Posted By: Ziggurat
Steve nods and says,

"Right now we're aiming for the Urban Legend level. The one thing that we absolutely want to avoid is the concept of Super Villains. As time goes on we're going to need to squish hard on the myths of vampires, werewolves, and the like. Friendly elves that make shoes, closeted normal people who use their powers responsibly, that sort of thing is good."

"I suggest you use bad photos. Remember the first rule of great drama... start small, then build. And we have decades."

By the next morning the fires had died out completely thanks in no small part to the unknown aid of the novas involved. Given the destruction, the death count was surprisingly small, only 11 dead. Most surprising of all among the injured, there was not a single severe burn victim, only minor burns. What could have been a major tragedy turned out to be fairly small, thanks to the unknown good Samaritans.

Almost a week passes before Walter's head stops hurting and life gets back to normal for him; at least as normal as things can get aboard a space craft from an alternate future timeline. On the seventh day Walter is invited to join the others who might be interested for breakfast in the dining hall, which has been redesigned recently to look like 10-Forward, the lounge aboard the Starship Enterprise-D. Lorean has been watching the old episodes of Star Trek, and her doors and lifts are all making the same noises as the sound effects from Star Trek. Out the windows of the lounge there is a beautiful view of Earth below.

Omar could never get used to the view of Earth from orbit. Whether is is irradiated, smashed by a meteor, or in pristine condition, he felt awe. Yet he also felt loss. It was not his world, or his universe, and all the people down there were strangers. The child, who he sent to stay with his family to be safe, all that time ago when this adventure started, did not exist. Or might exist. Time and space were such mutable entities.

He had come back to Lorien to meet with their newest crewman, Walter for breaksfast. Omar wanted to make sure that he was adjusting to his new powers, and the accompaning future shock.

Omar thought the 'Star Trek' meme was interesting. While he had heard about the show, he never had the opportunity to watch the episodes. Maybe, he would take frequent breaks to find out what the big deal was with the show.

Andrew returns to Lorean for the scheduled breakfast, it was easier for him to visit when it was scheduled ahead of time. As part of his cover he was now teaching a few graduate level classes in advanced physics and had a few students working for him on "research".

He appeared in the teleportation room and recognized the Enterprise D's transporters Oh sheesh! he thought as he walked out and headed toward the cafeteria. The shwooshing doors made him roll his eyes, "Lorean needs to watch less TV I think." he mutters to himself. By the time he gets to "Ten-Forward" Andrew is in need of a stiff drink, unfortunately alcohol was no longer able to affect him except in extreme concentrations. He shook his head and walked over to Omar.

"Looks nice, much cleaner than in our times eh?"

The door to the room opened, and Morgan walked in followed by another man. "Everyone, I'd like you all to meet Ulric. He recently erupted in Germany. Since he is a native and is particularly suited to public life because of his abilities, I have asked him to lead Germany and eventually Europe for us." Smiling and motioning to each person present, Morgan began the introductions giving a brief explanation of each person's abilities.

I'm in space above my Home World ... which tells me there are other worlds. I am on a ship made safe for space, and having only the scarsest clue as to what that would entail. And I am meeting others of my kind, but so different too. Not what I expected. My previous expectations was for things of a more cerebral nature. How strange.

Ulric could not help but being taken a half-step aback at all that he was being forced to accept in this New World. His mind, quantum-fired, pushed him forward with the instincts that had helped him in the trenches.

"Greetings everyone," he began in a cultured voice. He spoke in English, Morgan's native tongue, with only the faintest hint of a German accent.

"It is a pleasure to meet other ... novas such as myself. I am happy to be part of this cabal and helping out with our mutual goals on Earth. I know I'm only starting out compared to the points the rest of you have reached, but I will soon be an equally important asset, have no doubt."

Ulric spoke with a certain, calm confidence that inspired those around him with his desire to help out. He left little doubt that he would indeed be an asset to their plans, and a willing accomplice in their heartfelt desires.

There was little doubt Morgan had chose the Face Man well.

Originally Posted By: Ulric Reikspar
I'm in space above my Home World ... which tells me there are other worlds. I am on a ship made safe for space, and having only the scarsest clue as to what that would entail. And I am meeting others of my kind, but so different too. Not what I expected. My previous expectations was for things of a more cerebral nature. How strange.

*There is plenty of cerebral stimulation to be had amongst the crew, let me assure you...* And Ulric somehoe knew that the voice in his mind came from the exotic looking dark skinned gentlemen sitting across the table from him.

Ulric could make out his own reflection in the opaque silver orbs covering the man's eyes. Next to him sat Michael Donnighal. The two uber-minds were quickly becomming highly synergistic world shapers, possibly even friends. Cody and Courier had been taking turns playing chess with the prodigal Nova and Cody had recently suggested that they come up with a three player variant.

*Good morning Walter.* Cody addressed their newly erupted comrade. *You seem to be adjusting well...*

Originally Posted By: *Overload

*Good morning Walter.* Cody addressed their newly erupted comrade. *You seem to be adjusting well...*

"Well, when you people picked me up, I wasn't quite in my right mind anyway. I had two choices: give up, or accept how things are and build from there. I chose the latter, though it was not the easiest choice I've ever made. Mostly I'm just thankful that I had a choice."

Walter is seated a bit away from the others. To Ulric he smiles and gives a quiet "Hello". He is an unimposing man of average height, dark hair and blue eyes. He looks the sort of person to whom violence is barely a resort at all, first or last.

*This is more of what I was thinking. Being legendary Polymorphs, or Living Personifications of flame is what surprises me. Morgan tells me that I am the somewhat unique and different one here. My experience is primarily with changes in my mind - how it works and how it allows me to influence others. I look forward to learning more.*

"Hello Walter. I understand we are the ones new to this Exalted Life, though the circumstances of our transitions were very different."

Ulric walks over to Walter's table. They contrast indeed, EveryMan and SuperMan, but as they sit down Ulric works at making Walter feel one of a select Brotherhood.

"If the past ten years have taught me anything, its that life is a struggle. It can destroy us and break us down. Or, it can make us greater men, with a greater value to all of civilization. All we have to do is dare - dare to believe in ourselves, and dare to believe that we can change the world."

Ulric comes across as a firm believer in what he says. His confidence flows into Walter, attempting to fire up a spark of hope in the young man's breast.

"Hello Walter. I understand we are the ones new to this Exalted Life, though the circumstances of our transitions were very different."
Ulric walks over to Walter's table. They contrast indeed, EveryMan and SuperMan, but as they sit down Ulric works at making Walter feel one of a select Brotherhood.
"If the past ten years have taught me anything, its that life is a struggle. It can destroy us and break us down. Or, it can make us greater men, with a greater value to all of civilization. All we have to do is dare - dare to believe in ourselves, and dare to believe that we can change the world."

Ulric comes across as a firm believer in what he says. His confidence flows into Walter, attempting to fire up a spark of hope in the young man's breast.

Walter finds himself uplifted by Ulric's words, moreso than he would have previously thought possible. "Yes!" He agrees vehemently. "We must rise above the petty struggles of our everyday life and become as immaculate gods, never doubting and never regretting anything not beyond our control!" Walter looks like he could go on in this vein for a long while, and intends to.

"But what are Gods without purpose, Walter? We are indeed destined to lead, to show the way for all mankind. I for one cherish my doubts and regrets because they are the halmarks of the struggle. How can we win without fear of failure? How can we learn without regret for our mistakes? Walter, you know we are a great power in the world, but how is that power going to be used? Were does your heart lie?"

Ulric is curious to find out were Walter is going with his own strain of thought. He is not one to convince another that their path is wrong, but rather that his - Ulric's- plan is right. Curiosity and caution are both evident as he questions Walter. Were is this going to go?

"Our course is clear, Ulric. The world is unfit to govern itself, therefore we must govern it using every resource at our disposal. This is the only way that the carnage and anarchy of what was once the future can be avoided. Only united can the world endure the presence of novas and they changes they will bring."

Of all the people present that frown at Walter's words it is Michael Donnighal that speaks up. "Walter, I'm afraid I have to disagree with you. Apparently in another timeline I went with exactly that philosophy and it caused a war that killed millions destroyed modern civilization, and made barren a large chunk of North America." He smiles to take the sting out of his words, "I've spent the last year studying all of these traveller's records. The only way that we are going to make the world a better place is to give everyone an equal place in the society and make the society itself enlightened. We just barely begun, but a new education program is being instituted world-wide that should address the problem of the uneducated masses steering the governments course."

Omar was stunned what Walter had said, and stood there in silence. They were not here to rule mankind, or to place themselves as gods. What they were trying to do was help mankind take care of itself. There were threats far into the future that needed to be combatted. A human race that was strong and sure of itself would surive. Omar knew, however, that they needed to lead by example, and he could see how that might be confused with ruling.

"Mr. Donighal is correct, Walter. We have seen what will happen if we try to place ourselves separate or superior to humanity." Omar speaks up in affirmation of Michael's words. "We may be superior to most people in what we can do, but we are still human. And because we are human beings, we are subject to the same fallacies."

There was what Ulric theorized and what he knew and what he knew was,

"I know there are people, human beings, who really on me for leadership and direction. It is not a burden, but an honor. I may no longer be one of these men, but I once was and I will not forget what we shared. Walter, this is what we still share."

He gauges the mood in the room,

"In time we may well become Gods. Morgan tells me I will live far longer than a normal man has any right to. This may give us the wisdom we need to become beings greater than flesh and blood."

Remembering the words about Walter's power.

"We may become beings of matter and thought, or even pure thought without need for this existance at all. It is a waste of our current potential to race there now, though. We still have so much to learn and explore. We have others of our Race to bring into the fold, protect and nurture."

"You woke up and you were not alone. None of our Kind should be without that blessing, should they? If you can not be a paragon for mankind, think of others like us that will need your kindness, your direction, and your teaching."

There was what Ulric theorized and what he knew and what he knew was,
"I know there are people, human beings, who really on me for leadership and direction. It is not a burden, but an honor. I may no longer be one of these men, but I once was and I will not forget what we shared. Walter, this is what we still share."

"Indeed Ulric, I still feel kinship with humanity - could a mere week of strangeness shatter the bonds I have developed all my life? It is for this very kinship that I would direct them, or have them directed by those much clever and more able than myself."

He gauges the mood in the room,
"In time we may well become Gods. Morgan tells me I will live far longer than a normal man has any right to. This may give us the wisdom we need to become beings greater than flesh and blood."
Remembering the words about Walter's power.
"We may become beings of matter and thought, or even pure thought without need for this existance at all. It is a waste of our current potential to race there now, though. We still have so much to learn and explore. We have others of our Race to bring into the fold, protect and nurture."

"Ulric, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you say. Surely you did not take my words to mean that I think we are Gods? Merely that in our efforts we must aspire to be as close to gods as we are able!

"You woke up and you were not alone. None of our Kind should be without that blessing, should they? If you can not be a paragon for mankind, think of others like us that will need your kindness, your direction, and your teaching."

"I will do my best to help and guide others of our kind, to the extent that I am able - though I hope not one of them ever has to rely solely on me for guidance!"

Water looks around at the gathered novas, frowning. "I fear my words have been somewhat misconstrued. I do not think we are gods, and I do not think we are the rightful rulers of mankind, but clearly, clearly we are in a better position to rule, and rule fairly, than anyone down there. We have the blessing of foresight, I truly believe you and I all have everyone's best interests at heart..."

Walter looks rather lost and embarassed, as though he's suddenly realized that everyone is staring at him, mostly with disapproving frowns. "I'm sorry,I don't know what came over me. I felt... moved to say something, and I am sorry if in the process I garnered your disapproval."

He felt for Walter and his awkwardness. He used to feel that way as well when he first stood up in the meetings.

"Walter, without debate we are blind."

Ulric reaches over and gives him a gentle slap on the upper arm.

"You spoke from the heart and how are we a better council if we don't speak the truth. I was not offended by your words and they give me pause in my own thoughts. I am greatful for your thoughts."

It was easy for Ulric to forget that others had not shared with him the days in the trenches and the comraderie that afforded him. To not feel equal in the company of your peers ... to feel alone in a crowded room. It was important to Ulric that Walter not feel alone at this early stage of their new, young lives.

Originally Posted By: Walter
...clearly we are in a better position to rule, and rule fairly, than anyone down there. We have the blessing of foresight, I truly believe you and I all have everyone's best interests at heart..."

"Walter, you must understand." Omar still didn't think Walter knew what the objectives of Aeon were. He would try again to explain what their group sought to do. "We are not here to rule, even if we are more capable or enlightened. We are here to guide, and to advise. In some cases, that may mean taking some leadership positions, but only as transition."

Omar gave a hard stare at Walter and Ulrich. "I trust Morgan with my life, and I know he is working towards the same goals as the rest of us. If he put his faith in you to guide Germany and parts of Europe, then I must trust his judgement." He paused to let them know that he was serious "But I also know that Germany, and indeed most of Europe was experienceing tremendous upheaval. Secular ideologies like Communism, National Socialism, and Nazism were gaining in influence. Racism, anti-Semitism, collectivism and religious bigotry were on the rise."

Omar paused again, and looked first at Walter, then Ulrich. "Both of you are from the time in which these ideas grew, and they may be influencing your perceptions. I may be wrong, but when you speak of being gods and leadership via superiority, I wonder."

(OOC: Using Awe Inspiring)

The impact of the Iraqi's speech was great, but it was lessened by the confusion his words engendered. What was Nazism? National Socialism was a nascent idea in its infancy and hardly well defined. More to the point, one of Ulric's core beliefs was of the elites duty to lead. Morgan had invited him into this secret order with the promise that if he could rise to the challenge, he could lead the New Europe into greatness.

{Spend 1 WP}

"Omar," Ulrich said defiently, "I can not go into this fight as a lesser man. I share your goals and aspirations for this Earth."

It felt so weird to converse about his home as if it was one of dozens, if not hundreds.

"I will do all I can to work within the concencus of this cabal, but there is hard work ahead. It is our destiny to rise to the challenge. It is our Right, and our Sacred Trust to not let what has befallen other realities through global division happen here."

"I am not a God. I am not a Man. I am still learn what I am. I imagine so are you."

Cody nods at these wise words from Omar. The showboating strongman had grown as a leader in the past year, and continued to earn respect from Cody and his more jaded sensibilities.

Adressing the whole group mentally via the link Cody responds.

*I suspect Omar is correct. Ulric I am fairly certain you understand this.*

*I understand that at times what we do may make us seem to be a form of shadow government, however our efforts are more to weed out the bad seeds that were planted in this era. Seeds that if alowed to sprout, will turn into a malignant cancer.*

*You see Walter, where we come from, the right to rule, historically the idea that might makes right and the strongest are granted rulership through "Divine" providence, had been taken to obscene levels. Weapons had been developed to exterminate all of mankind en masse. We have witnessed such destruction on another Earth with our own eyes.*

*In order to truly evolve, mankind must become self-governing on both the individual and societal scale. If we try to rule we become no better than any other tyrrant that has ever flourished, and more than likely worse due to the greater power at our disposal. What we need is an enlightened society. Too many of the problems our world has faced stem from ignorance, an ignorance often deliberately promulgated by corrupt governments. An ignorant, uniformed, and distracted populace makes for easy control. It worked in Rome and it works today.*

*To counter that possibility I am investing heavily in worldwide education. A highly educated and honestly informed populace will be more capable of making the sound decisions that may lead to a more autonomously high functioning society.*

Since Ulric has yet to get an implant, his first thoughts are only to Cody,

*Education is not enough.*

What ever Ulric was going to say dies in the quiet depths of his mind. He knows this is not the time for this argument. He has more to learn about the backgrounds and agendas of those around him. Part of him feels that Morgan does not know his compatriots as well as he thinks. A stillness comes over his thoughts; he waits and watches.

Andrew listens to the conversation behind him as he watches the globe. Finally he decides to speak.

"Mankind has, at its core nature, a survival mechanism unlike any other. To thrive and propogate man will expand and adapt, to protect itself and its young man will fight and kill, but unlike any other creature that we know of man will also kill its own out of fear, hatred, or greed. Man will do anything, to anybody who stands between them and thier continued happiness.

"As has been said, we now believe the only way to unite our species, our world, is to enlighten all mankind. We do this in our own ways. Morgan is working to restabilize Europe, Omar the Middle East. Courier and Cody are nipping future dictators in the bud and addressing the economic issues which will affect the later decades of this century. Myself, I work to expand man's knowledge of the world and universe.

"In our own ways we are all leading, guiding, or setting policy. Our actions are not far removed from was Divis Mal did in Steve's timeline. The difference lies in our motives and the results. We do this not to rule, or to garner money or fame but because we know that it must be done. Walter and Ulric, you have yet to see teh full extent of what 'history' tells us would have happened without us, the reason why we do what we do. Ourselves, we have no idea at this point what the long term effects of our actions will have, but we must try and so we act.

"That we try is enough I think ..." suddenly Andrew turns beet red as he realizes he'd just delivered a speech for all to hear. He quickly turns back to the window to avoid everybody's eyes.

Morgan nodded at Andrew's words, "Absolutely right." Looking to everyone else particularly Walter and Ulric, "What it really boils down to is the education and the culture. Along with the education we must foster a culture wherein responsibility and the greater good is held up as a prime motivating factor. Nova's are prone to the build up of taint and those tainted novas were a major factor in the war between novas and baselines which killed untold millions. We must insure that society polices itself through cultural mores and taboos against building up that taint. In the same way we must insure that the corruption in government is eliminated through education and cultural pressures against taking positions of power for self gain. One of the ways we are working toward that end is by controlling the media. This will be crucial for a couple of generations until such a mindset is firmly established, after that we can begin to release the media outlets from our control slowly until the properly educated and cultured populace is able to take up the reigns."

"Yes ... indeed." Ulric wished he felt more enthusiasm, but right now he felt like he was playing catch up.

"How many decades will this take? To entrench this culture of responsibility?"

"Hmmm ... I still feel that Europa is the best place to do this. With me in charge, I can gain the ground swell of public support, you will control the media and eduction so that future generations can pilot their own ship, and I will lead the authorities so that our policies are implimented."

"Then, like your George Washington, I can step aside. This could encourage others like us to see worldly power as fleeting - impermanent and not to be pursued."

"We start with Germany, were I am already close to leading the Unity Party and soon the nation. You guide me with your understandings of what is to come, and were things can go wrong, and we can create national education regimen that puts these ideals into practice. The illusion of a free and unbiased media is a beacon to the world's press. The government acts as a vechile of European peace and unity."

"Time ... time ... time is what we are unsure of. The world will advance. There will be more of us and some of them will undoubtably come to oppose us. The world will become more scientifically and industrially advanced. We are still on course for the very worlds you have fled. I understand that. I understand that this is about the survival of our people, our kind, our brothers ... and sisters."

Having regained his composure Andrew turned back to face the group. Sometimes he was suprised at how easily his subconscious and reflex actions could alter his body. In this case he no longer had blood per se and yet the flush respose to embarassment was so natural that his body had adjusted accordingly without a thought.

"An important step forwards will be increased education. If we can increase literacy and general educational levels that will help to propel countries forward. We also need to make sure that we keep reign on capitalism's darker aspects. Companies need to be responsible to their employees. Again this is where education comes in. A man will not tolerate low wages if he understands his worth to the company. "

Ulric nods in response to Andrew's words.

"Remove money from the electoral equation and you curb capitalism's excesses. I am for a market economy, but I know first hand the influence unrestrained money can bring."

A deep moment of thought, that was only the blink of an eye to the outside world,

"If we make education to the university level on the state, we also open up social mobility amongst the people. These people, in turn, develop faith in their government - and how it governs - to treat them fairly. They feel empower."

Under his breath,

"Damn. I'm sounding like a socialist."

"Education is also reliant on employment. People need to be employed up to the level of their education, or they lose faith in the system. I've been there. I've seen it. We have to find away to keep employment levels high. The best solution I know is government work programs."

"We could use people of technical and university education as ambassadors of this new culture to areas not under our control. Underdeveloped lands could get teachers, doctors, engineers, and admin - No. They would be better served starting their governments early, even without a strong infrastructure in place."

He looks at Omar,

"Are you Arabic, Kurdish, Turkish, or what?"

Morgan listened to the questions, "I believe it will take 50 to 70 years to completely ingrain the cultural inertia necessary to make what we are attempting self sustaining." Looking directly to Ulric, "I do indeed have it in mind that you should start immediately on this process and as Europe and the United States are the most advanced technically at this point it is only fitting that they will be the spear head of this change. However, I don't mean for Europe to accomplish this alone, the education that Andrew and I are talking about will be happening simultaneously around the world even in the third world countries with little infrastructure. We will be dipping heavily into our own resources to make it so."

Focusing more generally one everyone present he continues, "The jobs will exist. Andrew has begun a rapid advance in technology that will sweep the planet and put mankind at least a hundred years ahead of where we would otherwise have been by the 1960's. In 15 years there will not be a nation on the planet that is not at least partially industrialized and contributing to the global economy. Moreover, every government will also be deferring to the League of Nations by that time thanks to our other initiatives."

Quote:
*Education is not enough.*

*Of course not. But it is the vital first step. Where we come from, before the rise of Novakind, education was corrupt and bankrupt, concerened with little aside from churning out over specialized consumers.*

When the conversation turns to employment and corporate responsibility Cody adds,

*One of the difficulties we faced in previous timelines was the appearance of the trans-national corporation. Not only were these companies influencing public policy to their own ends, but they themselves were able to exist above the law. When local political conditions became unfavoravle to their monopolist scheming or exploitive practices, they simply moved overseas. No one ever thought to remember that it was the people, in theory, who held their corporate charter in the first place.*

*If we centralize the granting of corporate charters through the League of Nations, we can hold the veto power. If corporations are not responsible to their employees or society, their right to operate...internationally as well, may be revoked.*

"I am Kurdish. From a nation called Iraq. It was carved from the Ottoman Empire in 1921 and divided amongst the French and English. It was granted independence in 1932. At least in my timeline." Omar pauses and looks down at the earth below. "Right now, I am trying to negotiate with the British and French on an early withdrawl from the ME. I would like to see that part of history turn out differently."

Omar proceeds to tell the others about life in Iraq under Arab Socialist (Baathist) rule. He tells the others that under the Baathists and Saddam, that everyone had free healthcare and education through the university level. It came at a cost, however, as you only received those things if you were loyal to Saddam. The Baathists controlled the economy, and allowed only those businesses and corporations that worked for the benefit of the nation of Iraq (and by extension Saddam). Omar tells of his people, tThe Kurds, who did not want to play by Saddam's rules. he tells how they paid for it with the blood of women and children at Al Anfar.

He gives Cody a worried look after hearing what he said about corporations. "I would have to strongly disagree Cody. If we force corporations to adhere to values we put forth, we would be no better than the Baathists, or the National Socialists. We have to leave them alone. We make sure they produce safe products, pay their taxes and that they are honest in their accounting. Any other interferences, and the corporation becomes a mechanism by which the stae weilds power over the individual." Omar looks at the others.

"We need to stay away from Socialism..as much as we can. We give the government too much power, and someday, the leaders will oppress the people. I know, I lived under a government with centralized planning for 20 years, and it brought nothing but slavery and atrocity. Especially to the Kurds, who just wanted to be left alone to live their own lives."

Omar hoped that they listened. If they did not, he would show them what free people can accomplish. With, or without a League of Nations.

*You may be misunderstanding me Omar. Businesses are incorporated by the grant of a corporate charter. This charter is a privelge to operate granted by the government. This is how it has always been. If a corporation is not living up to it's responsibilities, a government...in theory the People, have a right to revoke their ability to do business.*

*granted much of the excess witnessed in the late 20th century was due to corporations with political power devising laws that grant their companies the legal rights of private citezens. Take away those rights, and their abilitiy to interfere monetarily with politics and most of those problems go away.*

*I understand your fears however, and your desire to keep the state from nepotising commerce. However we have seen the opposite is equally as harmful. Allowing commerce to influence the state. Either way, a despot is a despot, whether a CEO or a President-elect.*

Ulric nods to Omar.

"I know of the Iraq Mandate. What happens in your time is the kind of tragedy I would see avoided. If the people are going to be self-governing soon, are they ready? Do they have the capacity for something greater than a monarchy they've been saddled with? What will prevent them from making the mistakes that await their destiny?"

"See, the problem is not the -ism as much as the government. It has to be responsible to the people and it has to be a government of the people - not just empty words but the declaration by the American Abraham Lincoln. Governance is something the people must be taught. They must accept the burden of being responsible citizens. They must earn this right. If we hand it to them, it will have no lasting value, and we will fail."

But, Ulric could do more than lecture.

"Omar, if you think it would help, I could talk to the British Foreign and Colonial Ministers. Convincing people and groups that they should act in their own self-interest is my specialty."

With a nod to Cody, and remembering to speak instead of think,

"A combination of Media pressure and strong government can control rampant, exploitative corporations. Our consumers won't buy their goods. Our governments can deny them government contracts for acts that make our government look bad. The power is there already, if we harness it."

Steve has mostly been watching the interplay of the various personalities as the conversation has gone back and forth.

He nods with approval at the mention of 50 to 70 years.

Eventually he speaks up and says,

"The balance between government power and freedom of the people is going to be one of the harder things we do, and as society evolves it's going to change. It's very tempting for everyone to rely on the government to fix things, and sometimes it's appropriate. Other times it's tempting for the political class to promise free money. Solutions that other people pay for. Free money isn't."

"I'm less worried about the corporations. Historically they weren't responsible for most of the really ugly events, especially if we take oil out of the picture. Corporations are mostly a force multiplier. They can make a bad situation worse, but they also can make a good situation better. Corporations often get more blame than they deserve. The government sets up a situation then goes looking for a scapegoat."

"In general oppression is driven by culture, often by tribal issues and thinking, or by the government itself. The guys at the top kill and oppress to stay there. Or worse, they play warrior and keep their jobs by starting wars."

Steve smiles,

"We want people free. We also want them to make the right choices. Those two things conflict, thus we stay in the shadows for now."

A sudden thought springs into Andrew's mind, "Oh crap," he mutters. After Steve is done talking he pipes up once more. "Actually there is one corporate entity, of a sorts, that has caused a great deal of problems ... DeBeers. Their stranglehold on the diamond markets created a huge black market for diamonds, this drove economic strife which broke out into war and bloodshed. Eventually the diamonds earned the name "blood diamonds". Central and southern Africa was highly unstable in my timeline because of this. If we can make sure that these diamond mines are owned and controlled by the local governments that will help those countries substantially."

Morgan nodded thoughtfully. "That may not be necessary. We happen to know where other kimberlite pipes are located. We can always start our own diamond mines and undercut DeBeers keeping prices from rising to the point of causing wars like they did on other timelines. Of course I still think that you are right and the governments there should control those mines, but either way I don't think DeBeers will cause a problem. I think a little subtle 'suggestion' from Cody will do the trick to convince DeBeers to sell out."

*Much of the diamond demand will abate from our control of the media. Antwerp created artificial scarcity of the incredibly common diamond. Comnbined with inflated pricing and an sgressive marketing campaign, people came to see them as a status symbol and an object to covet. In reality diamonds are much more valuable for their industrial value. While we are at it, we can help stave off inflation in genreal by not abandoning the gold standard for currency.*

"Unless the corporations get armies, or overwhelming public support, they can be countered by any strong government. Not that we shouldn't watch them and their influence, but I think there are existing structures to counter businesses ... and banks."

"I'm weak on financial theory, but fear of unwarranted control of banks is something that comes up at the meetings from time to time."

Ulric searches for the right words.

"What is the fate of this cabal, assuming we succeed and strengthen the character of the average citizen so that they are responsible caretakers of their own destinies? Provided we are still around, what do we see happening to us?"

*Much of what we are doing here is an experiment to see if can avoid an all out war between our sub-species. Staving off that disaster however is just a piece of the overall puzzle. We have discovered that there is at least one alien race that has or will have an influence on humanity.*

*The so-called "Watchers." It is they who both exiled us from our own time, and gifted us with the lovely Lorean who has opened to us countless more. Within our first few lateral jumps we discovered evidence that an unknown extraterretrial force had used mass drivers to bombard Earth with Asteroids, destroying all life. Whether this mysterious hostile force is related to the Watchers we do not yet know. In fact, we know infuriatingly little.*

*Before we got stuck in this time, we were going to head to the future and learn more, as well as research weapons to fight them. They are still out there, and the Watchers are Watching...so you see, regardless of what temporal power we may wield here, there are yet greater mysteries still, and greater chess players maneuvering their pawns...*

Archived