Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Book 2: Chapter 1: Obscured by Clouds

jameson (ST)

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug continues to heal for a moment, the desides that as comfortable as lying down with KB is, he can't justify it any longer. He gives her a 'See I said I'd be all right' wink as he gets up.

To everyone he says,

"I guess that answers the question of whether or not it's safe to get hit by the lightning out there. Basement it is."

(Doug sends only to Raider) *Any chance you can sense lightning coming quick enough to phase me out if we go back out there?* From the mental tone Doug believes the answer is "no".

Doug picks up another lightbulb en-route to the basement.

Raider sends back *No sorry. I can take you out there out of phase and show you where to place the rebar, then you could do it quick. I'll even ride with you and phase you out if I sense anything, but lightning is pretty fast and I don't have any way of sensing it about to strike.*

(egads, I hope we weren't/aren't waiting on me!)

"This would be ridiculous if it wasn't so dangerous," Calypso complains to the others as she and Seven return. "The house...it will probably be burned down soon. Whatever is causing this must be using more power than a whole TOWN full of novas...and has been maintaining this storm far beyond the capacity of any nova I've ever heard of. How do we fight something like this?"

Seven sighed helplessly. How could you find the one responsible? Where would they be? In town, blanketed by this snow? They had to be watching but from where? And once found, how to they take care of them?

And what happened if they themselves decided to run away from this town, from this storm? Would it continue? Or would it try to follow them?

Was that what someone wanted? For them to leave?

Originally Posted By: Lily
"This would be ridiculous if it wasn't so dangerous," Calypso complains to the others as she and Seven return. "The house...it will probably be burned down soon. Whatever is causing this must be using more power than a whole TOWN full of novas...and has been maintaining this storm far beyond the capacity of any nova I've ever heard of. How do we fight something like this?"
Doug says,

"It might be a quantum god of weather, but all this seems a little indirect for one of those. Assume smoke and mirrors. Squid or whoever is just faking it... like maybe a gadget? Could he have a generator somewhere drawing this thing down on us?"

"Definitely not," Calypso says, folding her arms over her chest.

"The energy of this storm is without doubt the same as the one that KB and I created. And only quantum power could sustain it this long, or any amount of time once we stopped maintaining it. Not to mention that I -felt- a presence in this storm when I last tried to take back control of it. A malevolent power. It is not a device."

Seven frowned. Would the squid person be after all of them, or just the ones he knew? What would happen if Courier left, taking KB with him?

Clapping her hands to get everyone's attention, she reached out and tugged at Doug's shirt, then patted KB's shoulder. Pointing at the two of them, she then laid her hand flat and posed a tiny hand figure standing on the edge of her palm, then jerked it to her fingertips. Seven pointed to the south, then smiled and tugged on her ear and pointed back at Doug again. She hoped he understood what she was saying.

Pointing to Raider, Gregory, Calypso and herself, she held up her hands in front of her face, then held up one of her hand figures again, then her other hand grabbing it.

He watched as the 'silent one' gesticulated and pointed at him. All he could do in response is shake his head. It was hard enough learning to speak like the others, but to pick up another language, might take some time.

"I don't know that you say." Gregory responded to her hand movements. I wish I could talk to her.

"Why would leaving make storm go away?" he asked Doug, with a befuddled look on his face. "If it is Squiddy, would he be after me? I did find his ship and KB." The next time I see Squiddy, I will have a giant demon rip his head off

Raider has been deep in thought until this time. Just after Gregory's comment Raider springs to his feet and shouts, 'That's it!!!'

"Listen guys, I think Seven is right, if we leave this storm will follow us." Seeing several blank looks he continues, "If we can't beat the storm, why don't we join it? Or at least make it work for us." There is almost a mad light in Raiders eyes, but except for his excitement he seems in control of himself. "Don't you see, we have a city destroying storm outside, that we can't attack, and can't kill that is intent on bringing our city down around our heads... So why don't we sneak into Squidward's militant city and lay low underground and let that storm wipe them out for us. It's entirely possible that someone in that city might be able to damage the storm or disperse it, but meanwhile it will have done them some serious damage." He grins as the reactions of the others, "Besides, while we're there perhaps we can perform some espionage." Having run down, he looks to see what everyone will say.

Doug says neutrally,

"So, we warp... say a hundred miles away from the city but on the other side. Then we send scouts into the city and find a place to lay low. Then we let them worry about the storm."

Doug glances at KB to try to see what she's thinking about this. He's not sure how KB will take the idea of returning to that hell hole. On the other hand, it might do her some good to get some of her own back.

Raider nods at Doug's words. "Acutally, I was thinking of going straight in, but perhaps doing it your way would be better. I could take Adam with me and slip in and find a nice quiet place to hide and he can open a warp for everyone else to join us."

"It be easier if we went straight there" Gregory interrupted. "The place is surrounded by a wall, and it is hard for one person to get in. I do not think we can sneak more than one or two in there." Gregory's language skills were improving as he spent time around the others, and it was evident.

He remembered much of the city from his trip there, and was sure that he could find a safe place for them. "There are tunnels we can enter, where a train left the city. It might not be guarded. It be easier than climbing the wall." He paused as if remembering something, and looking a little embarassed. "I don't know where the tunnel is...exactly, but if we follow the metal lines..the tracks..we will find the tunnel into the city."

An evil, toothy grin made its way across his face. "Or we can create hole in air and drop into city, and hope noone around."

Raider nods to Gregory, "I was thinking we would drop out a little south of the city, then I would take Adam in with us both Ghost-like. It would be very hard to get caught that way, and find some nice place underground like deep in those tunnels to hide. Then we can open another hole and everyone else can come through. At that point we can always just open warps back here to get food, or I can steal us some."

Calypso looks skeptical, but shrugs.

"You're assuming a lot, but I like your plan. It takes us away from here, so it's a good plan. Just remember though, not everything in the world is about us...and you may have enemies besides this 'squid' of yours."

Doug says,

"You're probably better off with me flying around than with Adam. I don't think you can walk through those gates ghosted and if it gets hairy it'd be awkward to have to unghost. But it sounds like we have a plan. I'll try to contact Adam and tell him what's up."

As if to punctuate the need to set their plan in motion a sudden blast of wind batters the house. Upstairs the sound of glass breaking is heard followed by the wind wistling into the house. A thunderous lightening blast impacts the house and routs into the electrical systems. For a brief moment all of the lights go back on before overloading burning out simultaneously.

"Uhh..I think we need to gets going." Gregory said, his eyes gleaming in the dark. He turned towards the others, with a look of helplessness in his eyes. "Wher is Adam, so he can opens hole near city so we can leave? I don't think it safe here anymore."

Raider hurriedly rushes about loading gear into bags and shoving the bags into the hands of any nova not already burdened explaining, "This is stuff I'll need with us to access any computers and do any work that needs to be done while we're there." He continues rushing about while everyone else is doing their own thing. As he is half inside a cabinet rummaging about he calls over his shoulder, "Someone grab some food from the fridge. We can always warp back for more, but it wouldn't hurt to have a couple meals with us."

There was a flurry of motion, with people scrambling about for different things. For some reason, Gregory had not been feeling as hungry as usual, in fact, he had not eaten in several days. But the others would get hungry, so he helped the 'quiet one' grab some food and stuff it into a bag. Gregory grabbed the coat, his small pistol, and waited for the 'door' to abbie city to open.

As the everybody scurries about gathering supplies and equipment Courier reaches out and contacts Adam. After a few mintues of metal communication Courier brings Adam up to speed and the other nova opens a warp and steps into the middle of the living room amidst the chaos.

"Woah ... ok, So you guys are serious about leaving eh? Where do you want me to drop you?"

Seven sighed at Adam's question. Once a long time ago she'd crawled into a ruin to find a partially destroyed sign with a big mouse wearing white gloves holding children's hands in front of a castle with the words, "Happiest Place in the World". Would he know where to find that? But it wouldn't be happy if they brought a storm-nova.

"Adam?" Gregory gives him a coy look. "Do you remember where you dropped me off that time I went out alone? We need to go there."

Gregory knew that only he and Adam had known about their little arrangement. Well, Buzz too, but now that that whole situation had passed, it wouldn't be wrong for the other to know.

"If you can, we need you to take us to the bottom...umm south..and west, of the city."

As the seconds rolled on Raider rapidly assembled all the needed supplies in the room either in a nice pile or in bags under peoples arms. After a couple minutes he looked around, then looked at the people gathering around the pile and nodded. "I think we're ready to go."

Guest Adam Bomb

Adam looked about, everybody seemed ready to go and Raider had said as much. "OK I'll do the best I can to drop you where you want to go but I can't go with you. The way this is playing out the town is going to need somebody to lead the defense if this is part of one of Squiddy's plots."

Adam turns and paces out the area, satisfied that he has enough space he concentrates for a moment. After a minute or two a pair of horizontal doors shimmers into the empty space. They drop open revealing a drift of snow.

Gregory smiled over his shoulder. "We gonna have fun." A second later. he jumped through the opening.

As he landed, he remembered Jeep. Did anyone plan on getting it? Last time he was here he went over the wall and into the sity. This time, they might have to walk around York. It might take days.

Making sure that everything is either dropped or carried through, Raider takes one last look around and says to Adam. "After the storm is passed, would you mind checking on the place? I'm not sure how long we're going to be gone and I'd hate for the place to get looted or weather damaged any more than it already is." Seeing the nod from the other man, "Thanks."

With that he hops through the warp and avoids the pile of supplies and looks around. "Courier, whenever you are ready, we can go searching for a good hideout."

Archived