Exalted: Shards of Hope - Chapter 1:1 - The Unbidden Oracle

Dave ST

There are so many things we do not understand in the daily goings on that we call life. History is flawed, countries come and go, and time waits for none of us. Wars are waged, lives are lost, and millennia upon bloody millennia we assume ourselves to be the dominant force in our world.

But, alas my friends that was not always so. No, there was a time when we were but the onlookers in a land that history has never mentioned, a time of war, turmoil, and blood. It was a time of adventure, of Gods, monsters and sorcery.

It was the time of the Exalted.

Normal men and women granted the power of gods. Chosen by the Celestial Incarna to lead the people and guide the world into an age of prosperity and peace and for a time it was so. This was the First Age of Creation, and it was a time of miracles beyond description. The sorcerous might of the Exalted knew no limit. Armies expanded the borders of the world itself. Cities flew through the sky on Essence engines, and for five millennia the Solar Deliberative ruled Creation with the Lunar stewards watching over the people, the Sidereals guided destiny acting as advisors and bureaucrats, while the army of Terrestrial Exalted kept the lands safe from any of Creations enemies.

It did not last however. The Solars grew arrogant, and as hubris claimed their hearts and minds they eventually found themselves the target of a great coup. The Sidereal whispered in the ears of the Terrestrial generals that if they rose up to slay their masters they could win, with their help. And so it was that with their great numbers the Terrestrial Exalts slew their master and usurped their world.

Crafting an elaborate prison from jade they worked sorceries to trap the souls of their Solar masters within it to ensure they would not be permitted to reincarnate. Under the rule of the Terrestrial Exalts, who started calling themselves the Dragon-Blooded, the people were looked down upon as slaves and peasantry. There was no peace, there was only tyrannical rule under the essence laden clenched fist of the Scarlet Dynasty.

But…

The will of the Lawgivers… the Savants of the Sun… the Heroes of the Dawn… the Solar Exalts is indomitable. After 1,500 years of being trapped within the jade prison that was cast to the blackest depths of the White Sea one by one, little by little, the Solar Exalted have begun to shatter their bonds and free their shards of power from a long, cold and unjust sleep…

And the world became more interesting over night.

But more of that later… our story is but one of thousands, but it begins in a small outlying village in the Republic of Chaya. A beautiful land filled with lush forests bordering the southern jungles of Rathess. In the small community of Hekran’s Ferry only six hundred mortal souls lived and worked. A fishing village on the east bank of the Sandy River was home to those who, like most of Chaya, was only nominally loyal to the Realm and their now missing Scarlet Empress.

A Circle of Solar Exalts had found their way to the community some six months ago, the Wyld Hunt nipping at their heels with every step. It is here in this small hamlet they were able to lick their wounds and gather information on the state of the Scarlet Empire.

They labored every day, doing their best to not cause problems for the good people of Hekran’s Ferry. And for six months none have been aware that they were in the presence of god-kings.

Except for one…

Elsbeth. She was a young woman who was both beautiful and feared with in the rickety fences of her community. There were no secrets the Exalts could keep from her. Innocently she’d ask them questions and drink deep their answers, when they chose to answer. In the months since their arrival the Circle had gained something of a follower in the girl. Always finding time to be near one of all of them completely obsessed by how above average their lives were compared to her rather dull one, but she was a good young lass who tended to her chores and always kept a smile on her face despite the curse she carried with her.

The curse of visions. Cryptic, eerie and completely random the girl would deliver the fate of the world as her body convulsed while the Maidens of Fate spoke through her. Several times over the past months our heroes has seen her deliver these message and each time her mother would plead with their guests to never tell a soul lest the Dynasts stationed in Larjyn to the south come and put her to the sword as anathema to Creation.

Among a mid summer day as our heroes were taking a break beneath ‘Father Oak’, an incredibly large and shady tree just several yards outside the northern fence that marked the last property line. It was usually the favored gathering spot for festivals and holiday gatherings, and today it was the shade for future masters of Creation.

“Guys!” Came the distant yell of an innocent voice, young, vibrant and full of life. “Silly butts! Here you are. I’ve been looking everywhere.”

And guest.

The alluring young Elsbeth, tiring from her long jog around the area, collapsed to her knees. Her long and rather old and worn dress kept her delicate legs free from grass or loose pebbles. Elated that she had found her friends Elsbeth plopped a basket down into the soft grass. “Um, you were all working so hard this morning helping out after that storm last night I thought I’d make you lunch. It’s certainly not the greatest, just fen berry jam with peanut spread, but it’s about all we have here.” Her smile was warm enough to melt the northlands. “Oh, and some chilled mika tea. Great for afternoons in the shade.”

Setting each item out to the side of the basket as she spoke, the young lady pulled her long blonde hair to one shoulder to keep it from obstructing her vision as she tended to the mid day meal of her Exalted friends.

Callum smiled as the young woman approached, though no one but he would know. Within the town he kept his wrappings up at almost all times. Though the sun was warm and the work often made for hot days he kept his head wrapped and he always had a shirt with long sleeves at the minimum. It was painful for him to see others wince or shy away from his scarred body. They understood, his left hand was visibly scarred and those who looked him in the eyes could see where the flame had licked his face.

In his low gravely voice he thanked Elsbeth for the food. He sat slightly apart from the others as he always did. Even with Mei-Ying, whom he had known longest and was most comfortable, he kept his distance both physically and emotionally. Even now a full year and a half later he still greived for his family, his little daughter and twin sons, and his beautiful wife, the complement to his soul.

Shaking himself from his reverie he fished a rabbit from his satchel and tossed it behind him. Eilein pounced on the carcass and began to munch happily on the animal. Callum leaned back and scratched her head behind the ears, she was his replacement family, and he hoped that in some way his family had sent her to him, or he to her as the case may have been.

Sitting there in the shade Callum ate and looked about him. He had done so much to help these people and for that he felt happy and grateful, but despite that he was restless, his solar essence urged him to return to his self appointed duty to track down the enemies of the common folk and slay them or force them to give up their dark paths. His own heart though found some succor here and so he was conflicted.

"Elspeth...good to see you," Mei-Ying said with a small smile of her own. "You're very kind to share with us. Our thanks."

As she opened the gift of food, there was a nearly silent flurry of wings and white feathers as her owl fluttered down from a branch to her shoulder to peer down at the meal hopefully with its great amber eyes. It hooted softly, and gave her ear a playful nip.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather have a bit of that rabbit, Hu?" the sorceress asked mildly as she tore a corner off the bread, already knowing the answer. The owl dipped low and snatched up the bread corner when she held it up, gobbling it eagerly. Hu hunted by night, as was his wont, but he loved getting pieces of his mistresses meals too.

Wearing a rather nondescript tunic and skirt now, knowing her old garb was too recognizable and noteworthy, Mei-Ying looked every inch the farmer's daughter, except for her delicate good looks, which lacked any of the rough edges of country living. She had at least...and after no small amount of dithering...cut her long lustrous hair to a neck length more suited to labor. Even so, she had trouble sometimes adjusting her pose and carriage, looking more like a princess trying to pass herself off as a worker than she did an actual worker.

"So how have you been?" she asked Elspeth warmly. "Any more...troubles?" Mei-Ying tapped her temple, indicating she was actually asking about the girl's visions...a topic of which Mei never seemed to tire.

Akryruh winced with the momentary pain he always seemed to feel whenever Elsbeth came near, it reminded him too much of another young woman. A young woman who had died because of him. He quickly banished it before turning to greet her with a smile. “Good morning Elsbeth and how did your home and family make it through last night’s ill weather?”

He accepted the offer of food after the others had. “Many thanks Elsbeth, simple food sometimes tastes better I’m certain than what the Empress used to dine on, particularly if shared with friends.”

Each thank you was returned with a warm smile and a small comment that fell in line with "It was no trouble at all."

"I-I've been well, thank you." The girl's reply was soft and lacked her usual vibrant enthusiasm. "Farmer Fuil's best hunting dog died. Of course, he blamed me and called me all sorts of pretty bad things. I don't understand, they come to me hoping for visions, but when have one that pertains to them that isn't good they treat me like..." Swiftly one of the sandwiches flew into the air where a young woman in the branches caught it effortlessly. "...a demon."

She removed flat ceramic decanter from her basket. "Farmer Geda stopped by recently too. Selkys are going to destroy his crop, and it's the largest we have to offer for tribute to the Realm this season." A sigh filled the air around the large tree as the young woman poured the Lawgiver's some mika tea. "It's going to be a tough winter for sure."

Akryruh's words were like a port in a storm. While she was always honest with questions about her visions and spoke of them without hesitation before her Exalted masters they always left her sad. "We did well. Mother and I took shelter with a few of our animals but some chickens didn't make it." Elsbeth blushed as she spoke to the noble and handsome Eclipse. Shyly she forced a smile out as she looked at him and handed him his tea before everyone else. "Your words are kind, thank you. It pleases to know that you count me among your friends, I haven't many."

Quote:
Insight (ALL): Selkys are omnivorous worm-like creatures that are on average around sixty feet in length and are as large around as a cow. The heads are protected by bony plates with several eyes and a mouth very similar to a spiders (two large fangs for stabbing prey that then tuck it into the maw behind them). Larjyn has a bounty on them every year around this time; they are viewed as locusts the way they devour everything in their path.

Insight (Sovanya only): Someone appears to have a crush on Akryruh...

Mei-Ying looks up as she chews on Elspeth's words...and sandwich.

"Fate can be a funny thing sometimes," she muses. "Have any of your visions ever failed to come to pass? Has anyone ever tried to stop one of them from occurring?"

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
"I don't understand, they come to me hoping for visions, but when have one that pertains to them that isn't good they treat me like...a demon."

Softly such that the others barely heard Callum replied, "And now you understand our own burden. We are not the anathma that the Realm makes us out to be and yet people still fear us. It is the nature of man to fear what they do not know."

Originally Posted By: Dave ST
She removed flat ceramic decanter from her basket. "Farmer Geda stopped by recently too. Selkys are going to destroy his crop, and it's the largest we have to offer for tribute to the Realm this season." A sigh filled the air around the large tree as the young woman poured the Lawgiver's some mika tea. "It's going to be a tough winter for sure."

Callum stewed on this for a moment. Selkys were not unknown to him though the density of the forest and the roots of the trees had made them a rarity in his homeland. They could be dealt with with some trouble. "Perhaps we can help to ward against the selkys. I think there is a substance that will repell them for a time, if I could locate the proper ingredients I should be able to prepare it. With a little luck it would allow you enough time to harvest."

Originally Posted By: Lily
Mei-Ying looks up as she chews on Elspeth's words...and sandwich.

"Fate can be a funny thing sometimes," she muses. "Have any of your visions ever failed to come to pass? Has anyone ever tried to stop one of them from occurring?"

"Wrath of Ahlat, Mei-Ying, it's only the hundredth time you've asked. Let the girl bring us food and sit in the shade for once without you poking and prodding her like an austrech with a sand tortoise." Years of life in the East hadn't quite erased the distinctive harshness of Rysha's Harborhead accent, and her voice emerged from the leaves of the great oak laden with dry irritation. There was a moment's pause as she tore into her sandwich, and the branches of the oak rustled softly as she stretched like a restless hunting cat. "My thanks, Elsbeth, for sharing your meal with us. If Geda or Fuil cause you any further trouble, perhaps I should have a word with them." A carefully leashed hint of protective anger slid through her voice, a coiled river dragon beneath the placid surface of the day. "It is hardly your fault the Maidens refuse to favor them."

Originally Posted By: Callum Uallas
Softly such that the others barely heard Callum replied, "And now you understand our own burden. We are not the anathma that the Realm makes us out to be and yet people still fear us. It is the nature of man to fear what they do not know."

An acorn, mysteriously dislodged from the tree overhead, plinked off Callum's headwrap. "Is it also the nature of man to give long winded speeches when others are trying to relax? Our aid is naturally theirs for the asking, but surely chewing over how to deal with ravening worms can wait until we've finished chewing our meal."

Mei-Ying looked up to give Rysha a look of mild reproach.

"A curse that is understood in its fullness may become a blessing," she intones. "A blessing ill-understood can be a curse. I'm merely trying to help the girl. Is that so bad?"

She favors Elsbeth with an encouraging smile.

Sovanya smiles warmly as she noted the girl’s approach and reached up to slip a waterskin off a branch. With a flick of her wrist she splashed the water on her hands and rubbed them together to clean them, followed by another splash of water for good measure. She listened as the others spoke, setting the waterskin aside and fetching a dry cloth from her pocket which she used to dry her hands.

“You know..” she spoked as she sat down on a large root, “..that reminds me of a story I heard long ago. There was a man who loved to ride. Unfortunately one day his steed ran away and his friends consoled him about his bad luck. Then a few days later, the steed returned with a fine steed favoured by nearby raiders and people praised him for his luck. He took to riding the new steed and was thrown from it one day, injuring himself badly, ensuring he could hardly even walk and people consoled him about his bad luck. Then shortly thereafter soldiers arrived grabbing conscripts for the army as a powerful enemy was drawing near. Due to his injury, the man was overlooked. The battle took place and there were virtually no survivors. If he had been in good health, he would have been there and surely been killed. It shows that a blessing may be a curse, and that a curse may in fact be a blessing.”

With a reassuring smile she looked to Elsbeth and nodding to her politely as she accepted the sandwich and held out her cup for tea, watching as Elsbeth poured her brother’s drink with such care.

Callum ignores the acorn, it was not the first, and likely not the last, that Rysha had tossed at him since they met eight months ago. He took it in stride instead.

He listened as Sovanya spoke, nodding in agreement. "To gaze at one of the great trees of the east you can hardly concieve of anything so large. Yet when gazing down at a forest from a mountain peak you see that the trees are only a part of the greater whole of the forest. In this way we view our lives, today's momentous event will be but a single tree within the forest of our lives when viewed from the mountain of age."

Eilein looks up and Callum and barks twice. Callum makes a face, "What? I talk like that all the time," he replies back to the wolf. Turning to Mei-Ying he asks, "Does Hu ever talk back to you like that?"

"Hu possesses great wisdom," Mei-Ying replies enigmatically.

The plump white owl on her shoulder gazes at Callum, turns his head sideways and clacks his beak. One almost gets the impression that the bird is gloating. Has she ever said that about YOU?

"And a most demure, humble demeanor," she adds.

Hu deflates a bit, then flaps with what might be avian embarrassment back up into the tree...giving Rysha a wide berth.

Only a slight smile betrays Mei's amusement as she posits, "Wolves are creatures that naturally seek a social hierarchy to belong to. Your Eilein recognizes that you are dominant, but she is compelled to test you occasionally, to see if you are weakening yet."

Guest Elsbeth Silvare

Eslbeth could do nothing but giggle as Rysha offered up a rather light display of camaraderie with her fellow circle mates. She looked then to both Sovanya and Mei-Ying once the handsome Eclipse has taken the cup of tea from her hands. "Your words are wise, I shall heed your counsel as best one can. Thank you."

With everyone now eating she sat with them in the shade, her hands resting in her lap. "I've never thought about it." Her words were soft and barely heard. She looked up to Callum, making sure not to make eye contact (which was normal, the Dragon-Blood made sure no mortal ever looked them directly and several generations had taught the people this lesson: never make eye contact with an Exalt). Confusion filled her voice, she had honestly never questioned her fate, or the fate of others. "I... I don't think anyone has ever tried, but to be honest, I doubt it would matter. What will be will be. But, thank you for caring about our humble village Master Uallas. Fate is often cruel, but we have seen worse. If the selkys come we will find some way to make our curse into a blessing."

It was obvious she was depressed about what was to transpire if the selkys devoured their harvest, even the Lawgivers knew the Legion of Larjyn would demand tribute so that it could feed their troops through the next season.

To Elsbeth, Mei-Ying nods and says, "Wise words, but there are times when destiny is not a stone, but is a path. Which can be followed...or not. It is possible your visions are not only visions of fate, but warnings which can be heeded."

She looks up at the tree, shielding her eyes against wayward acorns. "I propose an experiment, to see if that is the case."

"Oh, thank the gods. We're actually going to do something and not quote obscure philosophy all day?" The tree rustled again, and a moment later Rysha dropped to the ground beside Mei-Ying with a near-silent rustle of the grass. There was no mistaking the foreignness of the woman, from her desert-darkened skin to her piercing violet eyes and the tight cut of her leathers bedecked with hints of blue and red silk, and she paused to brush a finger over the deep blue band she wore across her forehead (for luck, she said) before she twisted around to give Callum an impish smile that was worlds away from the battered fury he'd first seen rip apart an arena months before. "Eilein, by the way, has twice the sense you'll ever have. And is more eloquent, to boot."

Guest Elsbeth Silvare

"Oh?" She asked, her azure blue eyes shimmered slightly as a spot of the sun krept through the canopy of the great oak. Her question was directed more to the group than just one. "Wh-what did you have in mind?"

Callum gives Mei a sour look, "Well as her adoptive father I don't like being talked back to." He gives a pointed look to the wolf who lowers her head and looks ashamed for a moment.

He listens to Elsbeth and Mei before replying, once again resuming his quiet tone, "I agree, act upon the knowledge that your visions grant you. From your curse you may yet reap a blessing."

Callum scoffs at Rysha, "If that were the case she'd get her own lunch and let me use the rabbits I catch for myself and the rest of you ..."

"Which just goes to show how sensible she is. Why work for it herself when she can get you to fetch it for her?" A hint of sunlight caught the touch of red ink at the corner of Rysha's cheek, but a flick of her head concealed the mark behind the veil of her dark hair again. "So, Mei-Ying, bestow on us your plan for enlightenment. Preferably in less time than it will take the immortal Sun to grow old and die."

"I suggest we...not including you Elsbeth...attempt to intercept and either destroy or divert the selkys before they can get here and fulfill Elsbeth's prophecy," Mei says simply.

"Not only could we save the village significant difficulty, but we would prove a point about her visions, and what they might be used for. Just knowing it's possible to avert the futures she sees might improve her reception from others."

Eilein opens her mouth in a silent laugh at Rysha's words. Callum mock-slumps deafeated, "Fine ... fine ..." Turning to Eilein he finishes, "I'll remember this though, you're plenty old enough to feed yourself." Admonsihed the wolf turns back to the remains of the rabbit.

Callum listens to Mei for a moment, "As I had said just moments ago. Yet we need not fight these creatures, they act only on their insctint, they are not evil. I will go into the forest and attempt to locate the required herbs and roots. If any of you would like to learn something useful feel free to join me."

Akryruh looked somewhat grim as he spoke. "I think there is merit to your experiment Mei-Ying, and your wanting to spare needless killing Callum. The gods know I'd love to spare this village the heartache of having to make up their tribute, and spare our hostess the heartache of having seen it twice." He smiled at Elsbeth. "But what cost might our actions have? If we ward one field against them, won't they seek the crops or flocks of another farmer? Can we effectively keep them from the whole of the village without killing them?"

"If we must kill them then I would say we should plan to leave soon. There are not sufficient warriors here in the town to explain a large number of dead Selkie and the Legions would want to know the location of any group of skilled Men at arms staying in the area that answered the call of such a small village. Them finding us would be far worse for the village and everyone in it than the tribute being short."

"If we can divert them, then that's fine," Mei says to Callum, "But Akryruh is right. They're drawn here by a fine harvest. We might drive them away, but without something else somewhere else, they would only return."

She nods at Akryruh as well. "And I realize we can't afford to leave signs of anything unusual. We would need to anticipate where they're coming from, and intercept them some distance from here. Hopefully a detailed analysis of Elsbeth's vision will give us what we need to find them in advance."

Heaving a theatrical sigh, Rysha dropped gracefully onto the grass next to Eilein and began to scratch the she-wolf's ears and neck lightly. She appreciated the usefulness of carrying a plan into battle, but the endless debate and wheels-within-wheels plotting of her Circle-mates occasionally drove her nearly to tears with boredom. If the selkys threaten the crops, of the surrounding villages, best to put the Sun-blasted things down. Whatever their motives, they're dangerous pests. Her lips pursed slightly with the thought, but she contented herself for the moment with giving Elsbeth a long-suffering smile.

Callum finished the small meal and rose brushing the crumbs from his clothes. He gathers his things and appears to be ready to leave. Standing by he tucks his wrap back into place such that only his eyes are visible. He scans around looking to see if any of the villagers have been watching them. "We should go, be it to kill the selkys or to find a method of driving them off. The longer we debate the less time we have to act. And I should note that the potion I am considering will require a day to prepare after I gather what I need ..."

Mei-Ying lifts a forestalling hand.

"I also need to point out that we're not -going- anywhere yet. We need our Elsbeth to tell us about her vision in as much detail as possible, to hopefully get a clue as to when and where to expect them, so we can fin them sooner."

"Rushing off now will only find us frustrated in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Callum laughs quietly, "One does not need a vision to know that as the winter comes the selkys move south toward the warmer climbs. It's likely they will travel in from the plains, from the north and west."

Callum stops looking to the west and south, "And regardless I will need time to get to the forests, if I am to gether ingredients I should leave now."

"Maybe, but why deal in likely, when we have certainty?" Mei asks.

"But if you need herbs from the woods...that's another story." She smiles and turns her attention to the younger (if not by much) girl.

"Elsbeth, tell me about what you saw about the selkys and crops, in as much detail as you can remember...but don't strain too hard yet. Just let it come naturally."

Nodding to himself Callum crouches down and speaks quietly to Eilein as Elsbeth begins to recall her vision. He sends the young wolf out ahead of him to locate the required plants. Shortly Eilein bounds away to the west and south skirting the town quickly before racing toward the forest to scout for the plants Callum needs.

Callum himself stands and listens to Elsbeth with the others. With Eilein's help he can spare some time to hear Elsbeth's prediction before he heads out to gather the ingredients he needs.

Guest Elsbeth Silvare

"Wow. You two should just get married and get it over with." Elsbeth's giggle filled the air like a Siren's song. Callum and Mei-Ling seemed to never get along or agree on anything. One always wanting think it through while the other was a man of action. It was amusing watching their personalities collide, sometimes.

"Well, I really don't need a vision to tell you about the selkys. We have problems with them every harvest, the only real problem is we've never been able to get rid of them, you know being humble farmers n’ all." She paused for a moment and enjoyed the cool summer breeze as she sat in the shade. "Not even The Legion could get rid of them. They sent some soldiers up a few years ago. They handled the buggers that went after the crops and livestock well enough, but when they went after what they believed to be 'the source' only a few came back. Twenty five soldiers and a Prince of the Earth fell to something in the eastern forest. We haven’t disturbed it since. No one even hunts there any more."

The yellow haired girl fiddled with a few frayed edges on her old stained and ragged apron she wore over her shabby dress. "If they were going to come, I'm positive it would be from there. It's the same every year. As for my visions, well... I never know when. I can only see what will be, not when it be, but I've usually been close by a few days or so."

The frays on her apron began getting a lot worse as she nervously bunched it end over end in her fingers. "I- I don't like this idea." Her voice cracked under the weight of concern for her friends. "You could all be hurt, or... or worse." Her eyes shimmered as moisture built up. She looked up and met Akryruh's gaze. "If anything were to happen to you... to any of you, I mean." She amended realizing that her concern for certain members of the circle might be becoming a bit too obvious.

"We're the Sun's Chosen, Elsbeth. Monsters, rogue gods or simple trouble, handling it is what we were meant for." Rysha looked up at the Circle, voice suddenly and startlingly serious, all of the girlish playfulness melting away from the hard steel beneath. She pushed herself up on one arm, letting her eyes move from Callum to Mei-Ying to Akryruh to Sovanya, the cool violet flame of her gaze taking them all in. "We're going to have a look at this 'source', and we're going to see that it stops harassing this village. If we can do that without killing anyone or anything, Callum, all the better. But we're going to do it. It's why we were Chosen."

She paused, then gave Callum and Mei-Ying a crooked smile. "I'm obviously spending too much time with the two of you. Now, Elsbeth, do you know where this source was?"

Guest Elsbeth Silvare

"All I know is that it lies in the eastern woods just under an hour or so away." She pointed off to the far ends of the eastern borders, to the horizon. "Over that far hill, they marched there, and a few of the men I've heard talk of being able to see the 'hive' from there. That's what they call it. It's a small forest, just a few miles wide and deep, we used to call it Hunter's Wood."

She brushed a few rouge hairs back behind her ear. "You may be the Sun's Chosen, but you're not immortal." The concern for her friends was carefully woven into every word. "Do be careful. For me."

Originally Posted By: Elsbeth Silvare
"Wow. You two should just get married and get it over with." Elsbeth's giggle filled the air like a Siren's song.

Callum blinked, surprised at Elsbeth’s words. He was less than amused; not so much at the implied romance, that was unlikely. He was ten years her senior, not to mention is appearance. And yet at times he reminded him or his dead wife, her curiosity, her thoughtfulness... No he just couldn’t shake the memories of his wife, and the sadness threatened to bear him down. Of course things had been better of later. His mind spent less time dwelling in the past; his new friends made sure of that, be is discussions with Mei on medicine an fate, or combat training with Rysha, or just getting to know the Ledaals. And of course there was Eilein, always a reminder of things lost and yet always a reminder that life continues and that in time new memories can be made and new families forged.

Oh bollocks! he thought as he spied Mei watching him from the corner of her eye, an amused look on her face. Clearly she had seen him immersed in thought after Elsbeth’s comments. He turned away a bit and looked, rather obviously, anywhere but towards Mei as he listened to what the others had to say.

Originally Posted By: Rysha
She paused, then gave Callum and Mei-Ying a crooked smile. "I'm obviously spending too much time with the two of you. Now, Elsbeth, do you know where this source was?"

Even with his face fully concealed Callum could not conceal his mirth. It robbed the usual serious tone from his quiet rumbling, “Clearly more time is yet required …

“It would appear though that we shall not break into two groups after all.” He continued, his voice resuming its normal quiet edge as he buried the emotions of the past. “It would seem that fate will bring us all into the forests. I will take the point if it pleases you all, and scout ahead for trouble. With luck I may yet catch up to Eilein before she gets too far into the forest…” He inclines his head in a half nod, half bow.

"While Rysha is perhaps being a bit cavalier she is right, dealing with such threats is our mandate. Whether you wish to call it duty or our wish to protect you and your village from the hardships these beasts cause, we must go and see what we can do. Besides, as Mei said in the beginning, we would like to do this for you, so that you can work with your visions rather than simply be a slave of them.”

He smiled trying to reassure her. “Have no fear though, we’ll heed your warning of the fate of the Legionnaires who went to find this source before and be careful when we search for it. If it will help, while I can’t do so for the others,” he looked pointedly at the danger loving Dawn Caste, before returning his gaze to Elsbeth. “I will promise you that I will be as careful as possible, though it will likely be impossible to stay completely safe.”

With a final drink of his tea he stood joining Callum. “And thank you for an wonderful lunch.” Turning to Callum he smiled asking, “If Eileen is heading West and we’re heading east, we’ll have a good long walk ahead of us I’d say.”

Guest Elsbeth Silvare

And so it was that our young Oracle felt her first shortness of breath, the first twisting of her stomach into knots. Akryruh's smile was like a calming sea flowing gently on the shores of her heart. Her eyes were locked on his and for all but a second there was nothing but the two of them.

"We should scout this place first," Mei-Lings words shattered her moment. Funny how when time stands still it passes all to quickly.

"Please, be careful." She whispered to herself, still staring intently at the noble Eclipse who had gone on to discuss matters with his circlemates.

Quote:
Insight (Sovanya & Rysha only): Only you two noticed Elsbeth whispering to herself, quite worried and somewhat misty eyed. Have I mentioned how cute... and innocent she is recently?

A wry, slightly indignant look brushed across Rysha's face as she looked between Mei and Akryruh and rested a hand lightly at her hip. "The Maidens only know where you two get your ideas. To hear you tell it, I'd charge right into any fight that presented itself without a heartbeat's thought." She flicked her hair slightly, drawing herself up with a slightly imperious air that showed distinct signs of imitating Mei-Ying at her most punctilious. "I shall be the soul of caution, of course."

She offered Elsbeth a final comforting smile, then turned and began a leisurely stroll toward the east with the lithe, easy grace of a natural hunter.

Callum starts, them looks around quickly and nods to himself, "Indeed but Eilein was merely skirting the town before heading east toward the forests. She's smart enough to know she's can't just run through the town and fields."

Callum does look a bit concerned though and is clearly eager to get moving. "I will go and catch up with her and then meet up with you all once we have scouted ahead."

With that Callum grabs his small pack from the ground with his arrows and long bow and bounds off running at near a sprint after Eilein.

"Scouting them is of course necessary Mei, perhaps we can get them to tell us all that they know of this source as well so that we are as prepared as possible." He watched at Callum rushed off after his Eileen to begin scouting.

"Rysha, you wound me to think I underestimate you enough to think you'd not spend even a heartbeat and attack without thinking." He waited a beat, a smile creeping onto his lips betraying the friendly nature of his teasing. "You'd spend at least three heartbeats and already have planned, with contingencies, the path of destruction you would cut through the opposition before you engaged."

Archived