There are some things not very clear to me in Aberrant d10 system.

When a nova gets extra actions (from Quickness or Temporal MAnipulation as an ex), could it be a Multiple Action?

When a nova moves at half running speed, he's allowed to act normally. But if he makes a full-speed run, can he combine it with a regular action if it's a Multiple Action? And if he has the Quickness enhancement, can he move at full speed and take another action (at -3 initiative)?

Originally Posted By: Jager
Each extra action allows you do do any physical (non-quantum) action you like.

So you can jump and punch, but not a superjump followed by a quake attack in one turn? (Can't use any quantum after 1st as apposed to not being able to use non-physical quantum powers?)

Quote:
My understanding has always been that you can split the first action, but that the extra actions gained from quickness (etc.), cannot be split.

In most White Wolf games that is the case when using Celerity (Vampire, or Risen), Rage (Werewolf), or Accelerate Time (Mage, Time Sphere 3). Aberrant as far as I know doesn’t specify whether you can or cannot do this split the pools gained from extra actions. Personally I do not allow players to do this. I treat Quickness and Temporal Manipulation like any other WW game. So I do not permit players to split the actions gained from the use of these abilities.

Quote:
So you can jump and punch, but not a superjump followed by a quake attack in one turn? (Can't use any quantum after 1st as apposed to not being able to use non-physical quantum powers?)

Actually that's not entirely true. Augmenting an attack with quantum is permitted, but not using a Quantum Power. So you could use Quantum Leap, Rapid Strike, or any other enhancement that could be done in a single action. You could not however launch out four Quantum Bolts. Powers are generally 'quantum actions' while using enhancements are just that, enhanced physical actions. Quickness does actually specify this by the way, in the very last part of the ‘System’ section.

That’s just my two cents.

Originally Posted By: Dave OOC
In most White Wolf games that is the case when using Celerity (Vampire, or Risen), Rage (Werewolf), or Accelerate Time (Mage, Time Sphere 3). Aberrant as far as I know doesn’t specify whether you can or cannot do this split the pools gained from extra actions. Personally I do not allow players to do this. I treat Quickness and Temporal Manipulation like any other WW game. So I do not permit players to split the actions gained from the use of these abilities.

Allowing it doesn't seem to be against the rules (I forget if there's a relevant passage in the Player's Guide) but it certainly makes play a lot less complicated.

Originally Posted By: Dave OOC
Quote:

Actually that's not entirely true. Augmenting an attack with quantum is permitted, but not using a Quantum Power. So you could use Quantum Leap, Rapid Strike, or any other enhancement that could be done in a single action. You could not however launch out four Quantum Bolts. Powers are generally 'quantum actions' while using enhancements are just that, enhanced physical actions. Quickness does actually specify this by the way, in the very last part of the ‘System’ section.

That’s just my two cents.

It seems that Quickness doesn't want the player to use it to fire energy bolts or activate manipulation powers but page 180 clearly allows the player to split his dice pool to fire multiple Quantum Bolts... Difficult to interpret Quickness for other powers other than QB, which is explicitly denied.

Maybe you're on to something - Quickness shouldn't allow one to use the same quantum-using power (i.e. if the power requires quantum for activation, can't do it twice using Quickness).

So I'd allow a player to split his first action to fire 2 QBs and use his Quickness to Hypersprint out of harms way afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Jesse Custer
It seems that Quickness doesn't want the player to use it to fire energy bolts or activate manipulation powers but page 180 clearly allows the player to split his dice pool to fire multiple Quantum Bolts... Difficult to interpret Quickness for other powers other than QB, which is explicitly denied.

Bear in mind that there are "Multiple Actions" and "Extra Actions".

Splitting your dice grants you multiple actions. Page 180 clearly states: "Whether it is possible to use the power in a multiple action."

Quickness and Temporal Manipulation grant "Extra Actions". Extra actions generally may not be split into multiple actions.

But seriously we all know this, any of us who have any experience with WW games know how extra actions work. Aberrant however as far as I can tell is the only game that specify exactly how they work. Maybe they assumed we all would know by now.

Quote:
Maybe you're on to something - Quickness shouldn't allow one to use the same quantum-using power (i.e. if the power requires quantum for activation, can't do it twice using Quickness).

So I'd allow a player to split his first action to fire 2 QBs and use his Quickness to Hypersprint out of harms way afterwards.

We have a simple system we use in our TT game. We have "Actions". "Enhanced actions". And "Quantum Actions".

They're quite simple.
1. Actions you should all know, they're in the book under the drama section. This is generally the one action every player is permitted and usually split into multiple actions (gotta love the ‘Multi-Tasking’ enhancement, which compatible with hurling millions of q-bolts in a single turn.)
2. Enhanced actions are basically actions listed in the drama chapter enhanced with quantum and they are considered whatever type of action they were before they were enhanced (physical, social, mental). So you could use Quickness to Quantum Leap, throw three quantum bolts, and fly into a flurry of kicks in mid air on another attacker (Q-Leap (Enhanced physical action) + Q-Bolt (the standard action all players get anyway, split into three actions) + Rapid Strike (Enhanced physical action).
3. Quantum Actions are just that, purely Quantum Actions (activating a power). If you are activating anything that is considered 'Level 1' 'Level 2' or 'Level 3' (or god forbid higher than that!) it is a Quantum Action and not applicable to Quickness or Temporal Manipulation.

Are there exceptions? Of course, but it's mostly the STs call. As an example in my games if someone has Combat Teleport they may 'dodge' using that power any time they wish (providing they have the actions avail, and can afford it) and it is always considered a 'dodge' not a 'quantum action'. It is something that all of us at the table agreed made sense.

Note, these are house rules, but still it's pretty much a logical clarification that WW didn't provide us with because they were in a rush. grin

• 3 weeks later...

This is the house rule/clarification that I use in my game:

The action granted by Quickness uses the nova's full die pool, and does not count towards penalties for multiple actions. The extra actions granted by Quickness start at the nova's initiative, and continue at -2 initiative from each preceeding action. When Quickness actions are completed, the nova continues with her normal action at -2 initiative from the last Quickness action, and the normal action may be split into multiple actions per the multiple action rules.

Example: Baca wants to take out a gang pretty fast. He has Quickness x3 and a brawl die pool of 10. Baca spends 3 QP for 3 extra actions, and uses his normal action for 4 multiple actions. His initiative for the round is 16. He rolls 10, 10, 10, 6, 5, 4, 3 dice for his 7 attacks at initiatives 16, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6, 4. If Baca used the Multitasking enhancement at the same time, he would roll 10, 10, 10, 8, 8, 7, 7 dice.

Archived