Aberrant RPG - Aiming and Mega-Perception...(help!)

Fikealox

Hi guys,

This is my first post, so apologies if this is in the wrong section of the forums or anything...

I was wondering how Mega-Perception works with aiming. The text in the core-book says "...characters may add their Mega-Perception dice to the roll, but only after they've added their normal Perception dice". I infer from that that you'll get 2 successes per success rolled, or 3 on a roll of 10 (as normal with Mega-stat dice).

I just wanted to make 100% certain, as you guys seem to be the gurus smile

After looking at that paragraph, you are correct. The drawback of aiming is that it takes a turn per dot of Perception used, up to your total Perception, then you can allocate Mega-Per dots, up to your total Mega-Per. Since it doesn't state any odd exceptions in how the Mega-Per dice work, they should work as normal as far as successes go. If you want to use your Mega-Per dice to aim, you could be aiming for a while.

Originally Posted By: astronomer
If you want to use your Mega-Per dice to aim, you could be aiming for a while.

Yeah, but what a shot it will be, when it goes off!

Deadshot 30-NP character would get (after 6 rounds of aiming and activating his accuracy enhancement) a total of 17 dice + 3 mega-dice. Someone's day is definitely going to be ruined.

Edit: Ooh, I forgot - add another two regular dice for the rifle bonus. 19 + 3 dice pool.

Originally Posted By: Jesse Custer
Originally Posted By: astronomer
If you want to use your Mega-Per dice to aim, you could be aiming for a while.

Yeah, but what a shot it will be, when it goes off!

Deadshot 30-NP character would get (after 6 rounds of aiming and activating his accuracy enhancement) a total of 17 dice + 3 mega-dice. Someone's day is definitely going to be ruined.

Edit: Ooh, I forgot - add another two regular dice for the rifle bonus. 19 + 3 dice pool.

Pardon me if I'm not quick to spank off to that dice pool. Regardless of how many dice you roll (20, or 1,000) remember that only 5 of those successes can be carried over for damage. Sadly it's the lamest thing I've seen in a WW game considering novas are capable of 10+ successes with relative ease.

Whether you aim or just shoot normally chances are you'll still be carrying over the same number of successes to your damage pool any way.

Originally Posted By: Dave OOC
Whether you aim or just shoot normally chances are you'll still be carrying over the same number of successes to your damage pool any way.

22 dice <> 10+ successes. But it (almost) guarantees 5+ - that's the beauty of big dice pools.

Also, with negatives for distractions or movement or anything else, you'll still have a decent dice pool.

Damn, I wasn't aware of that +5 limitation. Still, yeah...

I suppose aiming with Mega-Per will still give you a pretty big advantage in ridiculous targetted shots (petrol tanks, gonads, helicopter rotors, etc).

I'm picturing Jesse's character with a pistol, 2 kms from his target, aiming it into the sky, like he's using a long-bow.

An interesting point arises, too. Normally you can't "aim" at a character that is moving faster than a walk... but if you're far enough away from your target, even their moving quickly will only correspond to a comparatively small change in your aiming direction.

*Hopes that last sentence makes sense*

I my Table Top games I've done away with the 5+ successes rule. If a player rolls 53 successes then they may add all 53 successes to their damage pool. It makes for a more lethal game but we've justified it by assuming that when people are dropping down quantum death rays that eventually even the most invulnerable nova is going to get scratched from time to time.

Play the game as you see fit. Most importantly have fun with it.

In this situation there are ways to go further than +5.

Since you are expecting lots and lots of succ, using the targetting rules. (I think) That slaps a +3 diff on the shot (which you'll make easy) and gives you another +4 damage.

Another option is to get Claws+KE+AP. Now for one point of quantum you can make your bullets Armor Piercing, and with all those extra succ drop their soak to nothing.

Archived