The exciting world of walking around

Conduit

For those that care or those that just want something to read.

I'm going on a 2 week archaeological survey of some BLM property in Northwestish Arizona. Here's a link to the general area. http://www.fs.fed.us/r3/prescott/ I'm not going to be in National Forest itself but in protected land to the west of it. It's slightly less forested and slightly more volcanic. It's open ranch land too, so they're probably be lots of cows, but that's hardly different from the rest of the state.

Should be a good time and I'll try to get some pictures. I'll only be able to take so many pictures of the artifacts, out of respect for the descendents. I will be able to take pics of the wilderness so maybe I'll see a bear or a mountain lion or something.

There's a town to the south called Bagdad, it's one of the last mining company towns in Arizona. Some of the original Spanish land grants are still intact in this area. It's interesting when you look at a USGS Topographic map of the area because the section markers stop all of a sudden when you get to the land grant. Since it's private property they weren't allowed to place markers so they didn't include them on the map. And because it's been private property for hundreds of years the archaeological material is still in good condition. In some cases we will be setting foot on sites that haven't had human contact since they were abandoned in the 14th century.

So, yeah. There you go.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived