Aberrant: Phoenix Rising - Chapter 2.5: Goodbye Blue Sky

jameson (ST)

Sebastian moves toward the object and inspects it. Now cool to the touch because of the rain and the cleasing by Calypso Sebastian is able to roll the object up onto it's side to get a better look. Crumped and burned though it may be the object appears to be the remains of a conical shape which had three fin like projections. Two of the projections are oriented along the same axis and the third comes up perpendicular to these. The damage is extensive and it is clear that this was part of something larger prior to the fireworks display from a few minutes ago. Although it likely no longer functions as intended the metal could be worth some trade value in one of the larger towns and if what Sebastian has heard of Newborough is even half true somebody might even know what it was.

Calypso frowns, puzzled. "Okay, I think you got me with that one. Hmm... Can you write?"

She fishes in her satchel and produces a battered old journal with waterlogged pages...but the letters are still legible. She holds it out to Seven.

"Can you read this?"

Calypso quickly moves to stop Seven's hands and clasp them around the book rather than pluck at the pages.

"It is very old, and very wet, and because of that very fragile," she admonishes. "Be gentle with it."

She then looked around, pushing wet hair out of her eyes.

"We should find some shelter. Even after it stop raining, it could be chilly tonight."

Sebastian comes walking back from the crash site, fiddling with his face-wrap covering which is now becoming soggy and uncomfortable due to the rain.

"Well I'll be damn'd if I know what that thing was...can tell you what it is now; scrap metal. Not working no more it ain't. Maybe some of the tech is salvageable if we care to warn some egg-head back in town."

He gazes the two females in front of him for a moment before continuing.

"Unless any of you ladies is unnaturally strong I don't think we can haul it along with us anyway. Do you have any plans?"

"Not sure..." - says Sebastian shrugging his shoulders in an imitation of Seven. "I think the nearest place is a town called Newborough. I ain't never been there, but I think its that away."

He points towards the direction where he was running to before the metal object feel from the skies.

"Newborough, eh? Well then..."

Calypso closed her eyes and opend herself to subtler senses. The call of the water in the earth, in the sky; it sings in her mind and body. She had to concentrate...this was a harder task than just washing it off. It was heavy, and denser than water. Only by maintaining high pressure would it budge.

She began to move her hands in a slow circular gesture, as if lazily stirring a large pot. Motion to motion...water moved when pushed, when tugged. Like the tide.

Drawn from the rain-soaked soil, the pit began to fill with water, and the water in the pit was swirling in time with her stirring motion to form a shallow vortex. Calypso's face was set in an expression of intense concentration, eyes shut, forehead creased, full lips turned down in a little frown.

Finally the pit filled to the brim, and the whirlpool was a violent funnel, flowing fast enough to be flecked with white foam in streaks. At the center, if one looked down into the maelstrom, was the object, still sitting on the ground.

Calypso stopped her stirring motion, lowering both her hands and opening her eyes to stare at the water with a rapt expression. Her voice is strained as if with great effort.

"And then...invert!" Her hands made clawlike shapes, as if grabbing nothing, and she raised her arms up high over her head.

The vortex seemed to collapse in on itself for an instant, pulling in towards the center of the pit...then reformed as a raging, twisting TOWER of water that projected up out of the crater. Still funnel-shaped, but now upside down, and at the narrow end at the top was the fallen device, spinning madly like a top and borne aloft by the pressure of the water crashing up into it from below.

The cone of water started to move up and out of the pit, bearing the metal thing with it. Calypso sagged a little from her efforts, then squared her shoulders and looked at the other two.

"Lets hope we get there before the rain stops, eh?"

With a flash of white teeth in a grin, she starts off in the direction Sebastian indicated, following the inverted vortex that bore their prize.

(Technically success on this isn't assured since she hasn't mastered this technique...but since we're not going anywhere without carrying it...and 2 successes is pretty hard not to get with her dice pool, AND she'd just try again if she flubbed it, I'm just gonna narrate success if that's okay. :))

Although it takes them much longer than anticipated, due in part to the mass of the object and that they must move at the speed of the slowest walker Sebastian, Calypso, and Seven eventually make it to Newborough. As the exit a stretch of forest they see in the depressing between hills below a sprawling city. Buildings both old and new dot the landscape and defensive walls both encircle the city and break up interior portions, a clear indication that they city is growing.

Together, the object in tow, they descend the hill toward Newborough and possibly a new start.

Archived