Aberrant: 2011 - Arrival and the first day

Mech

The plane trip back to LaGuardia was uneventful. Connor slept the entire time and only awoke when the wheels touched down on the Tarmac. He debarked one flight for another, though this time he had the added knowledge that Maki would be on the next two legs of his trip. She had been happy to see him. After seing his chow loaded onto the next plane he boarded and made the next leg of his trip, to LAX. The proccess was again repeated for the trans-pacific portion of the trip. The entire process cost him a small fortune, but thankfully Tomino had been generous in the bonus for signing on for the show.

The plane touched down in Tokyo at around ten a.m. and COnnor made his his way to the claims area to get his luggage and his dog. He rented one of the small electric carts so he could carry everything and then began walking around, actively searching for his fellow traveller, the young nova Lina. He had never met her, but he knew enough from pictures on the opnet to know what she looked like. He hoped she'd find the living arrangements acceptable, if not he'd see to them tomorrow.

He walked around for awhile and then sat down on one of the benches to rest. He'd slept alot, butafter the last week he'd needed it. It was only when he stopped that he first got a sense of another node. He began following the tingling sensation, hoping that it would lead him to Lina and not another nova.

JFK to Japan, one-way and no stops. And Lina really felt like a star in first-class.

Leaving Zach and Ravenshire was hard. They both saw her off in New York City, and Lina didn't want to leave them behind. She hated being away from Zach, but wasn't sure how she'd fare in being away from Ravenshire. The flight was nice, but Lina found that first class wasn't really her thing. It was all so pretty and shiney, and everyone seemed to treat her like their daughter, both passengers and stewardess alike. Lina took frequent trips to through the coach section to use their bathroom, and once even struck up conversation with a boy her age. People stared, but no one really spoke until she did first. The boy, who was twenty, was afraid of flying, so Lina sat with him. Her intention was to only spend a few minutes, but ended up spending over an hour. She returned to her seat before the flight ended with the phone number of a new friend.

She was wearing her red sweatshirt, but had a black swirling dress over her legs, with some designer, and nearly tennis-style, shoes. She had a grey backpack over her, it's one strap crossing from her left shoulder to her right hip. Her hair was pulled up behind her head, making no attempt to hide her snow-white skin. As she exited the plane, many people stared. Lina paid them as little mind as possible, but found that it was beginning to annoy her. It was times like these that she wanted Ravenshire around..

After several minutes, Lina realized she had no idea what Mech looked like. She didn't have his cell phone number, nor a photo. He said he'd find her, but this place seemed like a labyrinth. The more she moved, the more she realized that the majority of people staring were Japanese. Lina thought of the Geisha style that seemed so popular on this island, and wondered if thats why she was offered the job. Regardless, she decided to get some food. She moved through the crowds, scanning the walls and shops for something that resembled either a Nova or a restaurant.

It took some time but he found her as easily as he'd found Alessa before. It wasn't like she was very hard to miss either. The paleness of her skin gave her away, as did her beauty. He found her just outside one of the little ramen bars and smiled. He was hungry too.

He wore simple black slacks and a black polo shirt over his nearly two meter frame and wore his brown hair brushed back. He seemed larger than everyone eles around him, and he was pulling a baggage Cart.

He walked up to her and smiled. "You look a little lost ma'am, or should I say Lina?" He nodded. "It's nice to finally meet you face to face. I'm Connor, or as you're more familiar with me, Mech."

Lina was nervous when someone first spoke to her. She didn't look at him, and if she was not already snow white, she would have been. When she heard the name, she calmed a bit though. No one else could know who I am meeting here. It's definitely him. Lina gave him a friendly smile. It's true that Nova's are prettier than baselines.. but still not as pretty as pretty as Ravenshire. Still those.. muscled..

It took her a few minutes of thinking, but Lina finally broke out with a sentence. She spoke in near flawless japanese. "Hi! I was wondering if you'd find me. You hungry?"

Conner replies in japanese as well. "Yes, I am, so is Maki from the sound of it." Seemingly to emphasize his point , Maki starts whining in her travel kennel. "See what I mean? We can get some ramen here, or we can wait till get get to the apartment and order out. That will let us get our things there, and let me get Maki out of her kennel. Is that ok?"

Lina looked at the kennel, than walked over to it. She knelt at the front of it, and stuck her fingers through the holes in the front gate. Lina smiled as she felt a warm lick, and she looked up at Conner. "This bag is all I got with me." She said, withdrawing her fingers.

"I'm cool with anything. I ate while on the plane, so I can fend for a while. Apartment, you said, right? Not apartments?" Lina had assumed she would have her own place, so this was kind of a shock.

"Well yes. It's close to the studio, two bedroom and bath, I figured that would be adequate. Besides Lina, I'm not famous yet, I'm not made of money. I figure that with separate bedrooms ad bathrooms we can coexisit for these next two months without too much trouble."

He smiles. "I understand it isn't exactly normal back home, or what you probably expected, but I promise once we start filming it will all prove worth any inconvenience. If it's really an issue I ca probably find you a place of your own, but it will be considerably more expensive and further from where we will be filming."

He looks at her knowing it's alot to lay on her, but this was the best arrangement he could make from half a world away.

"It's no worry at all. I am just surprised is all." It struck her as odd, something he said. He would find her a place, but it would be further away. Nearly everyone else she ever met would have told her that she could stay there, and they would suffer the inconvenience. "How far away is it?" She looked around, and people were trying not to look at them. It was starting to get to her. "And when can we leave?"

She began to think about the filming, and whether it would be fun, or even if she would be any good.

Conor smiled. "It's about two kilometers from here. Follow me then." He led her outside andasked her to wait for him while he changed. He walked off out of site and a moment later she could hear what souned like a jet engine. When she looked up she saw a great technological Knight, it's wings spread out in the sun. It Knelt down and scooped up the bags and Kennel in it's right hand and its head turned to Lina. "Climb aboard and hold on. I'll give you a quick bird's eye tour of the city as we go to the apartment complex. I won't go too fast so don't worry. Besides, Maki's gonna need someone help her stay calm for this."

True to his word, the chow seemed abit unerved by all this, but she had sense enough to lay down in her kennel. Brilliant yellow crystaline eyes looked at her, the Face of the Freedom Gundam looking down at the newest cast member of the next show in the great franchise.

Lina stood back in awe at the sight in front of her. "This is.. beyond anything I have ever witnessed before.. ever." She said quietly. It was a giant mechanical man, and Lina wasn't sure if she should jump on giggling or scream for help. Don't be silly. She told herself. No one could do a thing to help you anyway. She smiled at him, stepped into his hand, and made sure she was holding on.

Mech Carefully lifted the hand carrying his precious cargo into the air and cupped it with his other to be more secure. Then he took to the skies. True to his word he didn't fly fast,and took her high enough s that she could see the entire sprawl.

He set her down by Apartment 813 and stood up. "I'll be back in a moment."

It took him a few minutes but he returned, looking as he had before, though he looked a little tired now. "Thank you for flying AirMech Airlines, we hope you enjoyed your flight." He hefted up his bags onto Maki's kennel and took hold of the handle on it. He made for the door and once there let go of the kennel and fished out a key. He unlocked the door and turned back to Lina. "Welcome to your new home for the next two months."

Originally Posted By: Mech; The often Mechanical Man!
"Thank you for flying AirMech Airlines, we hope you enjoyed your flight."

Lina smiled at him as he said this. It was obvious that she thought it was funny and friendly, but she didn't laugh. Other stuff was on her mind at this juncture, and she was doing her best to hide it. She did so with excitement to be at the new apartment with her new room mate.

He swung the door open, and allowed Lina to enter first. The genkan was wooden, but beyond was a tatami-floored dining area. "Very Japanese-y" she said, her voice reflected the smile on her face. She kicked off her shoes, and walked with light feet into the area. She swirled 540 degrees, her dress moving after her, and ending up looking at Mech. "You did good." She moved into another room, giggling and skipping.

Connor carries in his things and smiles. He too removed his shoes and carried his bags to his room. He returned to the main room and the kennel and it seemed to shake with the dog's anticipation. He brought up his hand and snapped his fingers and instantly Maki stopped moving and laid down. He opened the cage and walked away and braced himself. he then snapped twice in rapid succession and Maki burst forth from the kennel and in two bounding steps slammed fully into Conner rocking him back.

At six-one Connor wasn't short, but Maki easily put her paws on his shoulders. She was jet black with sky-blue eyes and somewhat oversized paws. She had the purple tongue all Chow have and licked Connor as he rubbed her sides and back of her head. Then she abruptly pulled away and went to the door and started whining."

Connor looked to Lina. I'll be back momentarily, it seems she realy needs to go right now. If you like there's several menus on the table, go ahead and order us something to eat while I take her out for a bit. He picked up Maki's leash from his kit he'd made for this and slipped it around her neck. With that he slipped his shoes back on and Lead maki on a short walk in the park. After she was finished he took care to put the waste in the trashcan.

The house smelled of Chicken Tempura when he returned andhe sat down with Lina and ate. He got her a bowl of food from the cupboard, thanking his friend here silently for making sure his request was done. After the meal he played with Maki for a few minutes and then looked to Lina. "Time to go again." He looked down to Maki. "Be good and mind the house while we're gone." Maki whined and then wagged her tail.

Together Lina and Mech exited the apartment, and Connor finally turned to her. "Here, this is the key to the door. I'll get another spare made for later but right now it's the only one." He took her hand and lifted into the air.

"I figure we're novas, let's make a real entrance."

The flew to the Studio and were after an Identification check on Connor, allowed inside. "They are in the main hall on the top floor. they are expecting you."

Connor looked to Lina. "Nova entrance." He gives her a Devilish smile and takes to the sky again, carrying her aloft as well. They arrive at the top of the building and Connor knocks on one of the windows of the meeting room. Everyone turns to see them, a look of slight annoyance becomes one of awe as Connor sets Lina down gently. In perfect Japanese he speaks to the assembled executives. "Good afternoon gentlemen, Tomino-sama." Connor bows deeply which is returned slightly be each of the ment with a nod. Only Tomino bows slightly to the young man who would be the heart of his new project. "This is Lina Dorithia, a good friend and the young woman whom you hired to play Mizuki in this grand endeavor."

He turns to her and smiles. In English he whispers, "Best foot forward, and knock 'em dead, they're all yours."

While flying, Lina was so nervous she thought she might be dehydrated before she would meet the executives. She loved to fly, especially in this manner. When Lina finally saw the executives, she felt a bit more calm. Her mind struggled to picture Ravenshire in this situation, and she decided to take his examples.

Originally Posted By: Awe-Inspiring
Cha+Etiquette[1,2,6,8,8,9=3suc]

MegaCha[2=0suc]

MegaApp[9+0=5suc]

Total of 8 Successes on Etiquette

Lina took a step forward, and a bow, making sure it lasted long enough for them. "Hello." She was speaking in perfect Japanese. "My name is Lina Doritha, and I come from Bruno, Wisconsin in the United States of America. I am sixteen years old. I am currently attending the prestigious Manhattan School of Arts, where after only two weeks I am the top of my class in acting. This is my first trip to Japan.. " She smiles warmly at them. " ..And I hope my Japanese is passing." She looked at Connor, than back at the executives. "I'd like to take this moment to thank all of you for allowing me this grand opportunity that you have so generously given me. May our partnership bring us success for many, many years to come." Lina was beginning to understand how this power of hers was working. She didn't manipulate people, like Ravenshire might, but she has this ability to help people genuinely like her.

She has memorized all of that from the plane, and wondered if it was too much of a reciting instead of from the heart. The executives ate it up anyway. She thought of her brother, and it brought another warm, genuine smile to her face. The executives seemed to be drawn into it. "I look forward to working with all of you, and meeting the other cast members whom I will be associates with. I think we will have a lot of fun without undermining the work ethic that a project like this requires. Aside from the required memorization of my parts, I've read the script countless times, and each time it becomes my favorite piece of work over and over again. I only hope that everyone else will love it half as much as I do. I am particularly looking forward to episode four; I think that my ability to shine in this episode will only be surpassed by, of course, my co-workers and the story itself." She bows again, and takes a step backwards, now next to Connor.

Tomino actually claps, with a smile on his face. "She is perfect." The others all nod in assent. "Gentlemen, you've already seen the footage of what Connor-san can do, and you have just witnessed the brilliance of Miss Dorithia, I humbly sumbit that my request for further funding be approved."

The Executives looked around and nodded. "You have our Support, now go and give life to the dream you've held dear."

Tomino motions for Connor and Lina to follow him as he rises and leaves. Outside he turnss to them. "I now have all I need to do this properly. We will begin filming tomorrow." The elder Japanese man smiles as he looks at the two young American novas. Connor smiles. "Tomino-sama, I believe I have a remedy to our problem from last time."

He looks to Connor. "So ka?"

Connor nods and holds out his hand as he goes into his metal form. Above the metalshod hand the shadowy image of gundams fighting comes into view. They're well detailed, though if one looked hard enough you could see Connor's hand through it. "Connor I don't...."

"I can create a convincing environment to fight in. I'll have total control, with enemies to fight and everything. It will all work as I say it will. I can figt other Mobile suits and if need be I can handle ship to ship combat within it.. I just have a limited range and area of effect, and I can only do it while I'm in my metallic form." He returns to normal and smiles widely.

If Connor had suddenly been wearing saffron robes and claimed he was Budha, Tomino couldn't have been more suprised. "You solved the biggest problem without exorbitant fees, without the need for huge amounts of editing for each sequence or the reusing of shots. You just cut the amount of mooney needed for this project considerably." Tomino stared dumbly at him and Connor smiled to Lina. In English he said, "I think I just made him a very happy Producer/Director."

Lina watches the exchange. She wasn't aware that she just helped approve the budget, but was happy to be a part of this project besides pretty face. Tomino looked ecstatic, and Mech looked pretty happy himself. Filming tomorrow.. The words rang in Lina's head over and over and over. Who cares if it's just a Japanese sci-fi show. I am an actress today. Lina had to hold in a squeal that would have demanded everyones attention. Lina said in Japanese to Connor, but not in secrecy "Good. The happier he is, the happier I am."

Lina smiled at Tomino again, thinking of her brother. "Filming tomorrow.. " She said, but in English. Lina got a look on her face that showed her incredible youth, and had to fight the urge to hug them both.

Connor nodded. "This is going to be so awesome." Tomino looked at him. "Yes Connor, you have given me the key to making it all reality." He turns to Lina. "And you, you managed to get some of the mosst tight-fisted men I know to sign away enough yen to make six regular series. If your performance in the board room is only the tip of your talent, I look forward to seeing you become the star of this show."

The old Japanese man gives Connor a sly smile. "Or should I say the Co-star. With Connor here being the male lead and you playing the character who will be considered the female lead. It's fortuitous that you're friends."

Connor stopped dead in his tracks. This was new to him. "Oh Yes, you hadn't been informed. Our Leading man decided he felt he was worth more money than I am willing to pay for him and walkd on us. Since you know the script already I was hoping Connor that I could get you to take the part."

"I I don't know what to say....." Conner was dumbstruck. Tomino laid a hand on his shoulder. "Yes and thank you might be proper,my young friend."

"Forgive me Tomino-sama. Of course I'm in, and thank you for your confidence. I will do my best to earn it."

"My boy, you already have. After the accdident you proved you were strong. You came back after nearly dying because you love this as much as I do. That says something about you Connor-san."

He looked over to Lina. I get the feeling you haven't really seen much of my creation before. That said you have natural talent. I look forard to teaching you what I can, and learning from working with you, with both of you."

Lina blushed when Tomino made the compliments, her face turning to a fair pink color. Lina became self-aware several seconds later, and turned to hide. It only lasted a few seconds though, because she turned back almost immediately and her face was back to normal.

"That was no performance, ser." She said to Tomino. "That was the entire truth. I cannot wait until the filming, as I feel my entire life has culminated to this moment. I feel that tomorrow could be the biggest day of my life thus far."

Connor smiled and Tomino laid a hand on Lina's shoulder. "That is even better. Tomorrow will be the beginning of something great, When the show starts Airing in mid July, that will be the true birth of my dream, my happiest moment, when the dream becomes reality."

Tomino gave them a quick tour of the the studio and introduced them to Hikari Amani, the actress who'd be playing Captain Minamori Sakura. Technically she is the Female Lead for the show but as often hapens, she is soon joined by several others all vying for that position. Hikari was quite pleasant and could speak passable English, though it was heavily accented.

"It's a pleasure Miss Amani, Your work on RavenKinght was excellent. one of the rare times I prefer the japanese vocal cast to the dubbed versions."

"You are most kind." She turned to Lina. You must be Lina, the young actress playing Mizuki. You've got quite a role to play in all this. We're counting on you."

Lina felt that Amani was trying to apply pressure to her, and wondered if it was meant in rudeness. Don't start fights now, it's not even your first day. Lina smiled pleasantly. "You've naught to worry about me.. " Lina spoke in Japanese. "Jealous as I may be, you've got the part of my favorite character, and if you're as talented as you are fair, than we are guaranteed success with someone like you, Connor, and Tomino at the helm." Lina looked at each of them, smiling.

"A thought just occurred to me. Connor and I are obviously not Japanese.. will this be a problem for the show or the viewing audience?" Lina was fairly ignorant on the subject of Japanese ratings and tastes, but it seemed like a valid question for any American.

"I may have been an issue normally, but you are both novas. That alone will make you popular." There was some resentment but not much in Amani's voice.

Connor broke in again. "Japan has always been very kind to novas of any origin. It's one of the great things about this country."

Amani turned to him and smiled. "There are many things Connor-san that make this country great. We of the cast look forward to showing you both all of them. Of course Kaname seems to look forward to showing you the most."

She chuckles softly. "Just what did you say to that girl last time you were here?"

It's Connor's turn to blush a bit and he smiles. "Just that she did a reat job and I thought she had alot of talent."

"I see. Well, welcome to Japan to you both. If you'll excuse me I've got to go try to find Toranaga-san. They've made another edit to his speech andit's something major." They exchange bows and she leaves. Tomino who'd remained silent throughout the exchnge nods. "This will be perfect. Now I have some business to attend to. If you wish to remain on site that's fine, but you are not required to. I will see you both at 7 am sharp. Tomorrow we begin filming." Tomino leaves and the two young American novas are finally alone.

"So what do you think Lina?"

Lina listened, but was constantly looking around. It took a second or two to register that the two had left, and Connor had asked her a question. "What do I think?" She smiled. "Exactly what I've been thinking and saying all day. I am excited." She began walking with him in some random direction, taking note of everything else going on in the large building. They seemed to draw attention, even if only for a few seconds. Lina seemed to be kindly enough. They'll be used to it after a few days. And besides, I don't think they're crazy christian over here. Lina occassionally smiled, but always kept to herself or Connor.

"So, what you said back there. Will you be making the set for every scene, or just the space scenes and the like? How is that going to work? Am I going to be able to interact with your.. power?"

Connor shook his head. "No way, I don't have the reserves for that. Nor am I really that good at it. It's just for the battle sequences, to make them convincing."

He nods to her. "They're interactive to sight and sound unfortunately not tactile sensation though, yet."

He noticed the looks and all of everyone around. "Youk ok with this? You seem a litte bothered by all the attention you're drawing from the cast and crew."

Lina shrugged. "It's not so bad. I assume that within a few days they will revert to their norm. It's not like they worship me here." Lina thinks for a moment or two. "Do you think you will be able to make your.. 'illusions' real and touchable? Is that even possible?"

Lina realized how stupid the question was a few seconds after saying it. Of course it was possible.. anything is possible. In a world where people can light up like flashlights, and turn into giant mechanical men.. of course it is possible.

"I'm hoping so. It will just take more time and study."

He looks around. "So we've got the resto of the day off it seems. "Want to head back to the apartment? We could get everything unpacked, and go out and get the rest of the necessities. I only had him stock a few basic things like ramen and some food for Maki. I didn't know what your tastes in food are so I went with the safe stuff. sadly it' won't last long so we need to go out and get some more."

Archived