Aberrant RPG - Well color me vulnerable: Invulnerability and Psiads

Ptesan-Wi

Part of the "character plan" for Thoughtwave was that, as she gradually gained exposure to novas with mental snooping capabilities, she would start to develop Invulnerability: Mental. It seemed, at any rate, to be the prudent thing to do.

So imagine my dismay when I went pawing back through the book to the little Psiad segment and find that Invulnerability is on the banned list.

I certainly understand Invulnerability being banned to Psiads for the Physical and Energy categories. But somehow Invulnerability: Mental seemed a natural fit for a Psiad.

Were these the old days when White Wolf still gave a rat's rump about the game, I'd ask a developer for clarification on that point - that is, did they intend for it to be a blanket ban for the power, or would the Mental category be a reasonable exception to the ban. Unfortunately, these aren't the old days, the developers are either non-contactable or uninterested, and I'm left with no real option but to accept the limitation.

Color me vulnerable.

I would suggest instead that you take Disrupt - reflexive, on any mental attack. Also, I see no reason not to take Psy-shield with a few of the more appropriate armor extras, or area - in fact, psy-shield, area, is both very handy and quite appropriate for a psiad.

I'm pretty sure that, even if you were to ask the developers, Invuln:mental would still be off limits for Psiads. Invulnerability, even of the non-physical type, is off-flavor for psiads, especially in the nova era. The more subtle abilities are more appropriate here.

I had been thinking much the same on Disrupt - Reflexive (Mental Attack), especially since she already has Disrupt.

As for Psychic Shield, there's really not much in the way of "armor" extras available. The only one I can find is Impervious; while that would be dandy in the event that, say, Samhra decides to whollop her with the Delorous Scream, it wouldn't do diddly against invasive use of Telepathy or the like.

EDIT: I suppose one option would be to develop a new Extra for Psychic Shield. Reinforced: costs two points of quantum to activate, has duration of Maintenance, and gives an additional 2 successes per dot of Psychic Shield against mental attacks. Mind you, I don't know whether something such as that would fly....

Hey, as I said above, the Aberrant Player's Guide talks about using Armor Piercing on powers such as Telepathy if I recall correctly. Unfortunately, I have no easy method to search said book for that string of text and I've got so much else mucking up my brain who knows if what I remember is correct anymore. wink

Symmetry: Compartmentalized Mind is on her to-buy list. Unfortunately, having read the description of Compartmentalized Mind, it appears to be worth frack-all against Telepathy and the like (since you go from one decent pool to resist such to two pathetically weak pools). Indeed, the description of Compartmentalized Mind is sufficiently vague as to make it uncertain exactly what use it is good for.

Quote:
Thoughtwave:
As for Psychic Shield, there's really not much in the way of "armor" extras available. The only one I can find is Impervious; while that would be dandy in the event that, say, Samhra decides to whollop her with the Delorous Scream, it wouldn't do diddly against invasive use of Telepathy or the like....
Two dots would be 4 auto willpower succ, that does a lot right there.

Quote:
Singularity:
Hey, as I said above, the Aberrant Player's Guide talks about using Armor Piercing on powers such as Telepathy...
I don't recall this at all. Granted, that's not conclusive, but it is indicative.

Find Weakness would help a little, every succ you make against someone's mental defenses (including normal willpower) would (I assume) grant a normal die on your attack roll.

And I do realize this shifts the conversation from defending against Telepathy to increasing the attack.

------------------------------

Moving back to the topic, willpower 10, 2 psi-shield, that's an average of 8 succ to resist telepathy.

A maxed out telepath (5 Perc, M-Perc, & Telepathy) could throw (on average) a 8.5 Telepathic scan.

That's pretty balanced on the face of it.

More in depth, there are some complications which favor both sides.

For the attacker:

1) The big one is that although the average is 8.5, the standard deviation is pretty high so getting significantly above that is possible.

2) I'm going to ignore both Find weakness and Luck because we've already maxed out the attacker in two very difficult powers. But they could in theory tip the scales.

For the defense:

1) Its a lot easier to get the defense than the attack. The cost of the attack (30 nova points and Q4). The cost of the defense (2 to 9 transformaton points, no Q higher than 1 needed). Experience is even more lop sided. The cheap defense by itself (2 psi-shield) costs only 6 exp.

Conclusion: Most situations will favor the defense (meaning the typical defender will beat the typical attacker), but the high ends favor the attacker.