Aberrant: 2011 - Not sure what to say...

Dr. Akaisha Ross

Well, its been a couple weeks now since my erruption and I really don't know where to begin. I guess "Hello" is the best place to start.

I stopped by Project Utopia this morning and have a stack of papers to go through from them. I'm not sure what I'm getting into though. Anyone out there who's been here?

Originally Posted By: Tessa Barnes
I'm in a unique position.

I was an employee of Project Utopia before I erupted.

Tessa, I wouldn't call your position unique. I mean, others have erupted while working for the Project.

Instar, welcome to the forum. I'm currently stationed in Addis Abba finishing out my training. If you want to chat about being in the Project, feel free to drop me a line. grin

I'm busy until the end of this month, and will ben unable to leave Addis Abba for any length of time. You do have an option: you could ask to tour the Addis Abba campus. Since it's one of the bigger training facilities, that shouldn't be an issue. And if you can't... well, that's the beauty of the OpNet. We can exchange PMs. What do you think?

I've heard that Addis Abba is a very exciting place, especially since I live in New York City. I don't suppose you could put in a good word? I'd love to come see what its like out there and meet some people that have already gone through all this.

But yes, PMs would work if they don't want to give a potential recruit the nickel tour!

Oh, trust me Instar, they'll want to show off the Addis Abba campus. They love to show you the lush surroundings, then show you the vids of what the area looked like before the Terraforming the Project did.

Just tell your recruiter that you want to see Addis Abba, and they should whisk you out here. Let me know when you'll be here, and I'll clear my calendar.

Hello! Its the first round of application paperwork. Gotta love the bureaucracy. Its not my only choice. I still need to talk about this with my friend Douglas Gibbons since he offered me a job when I got my degree.

As for what I do? I have a Ph.D. in Biology, specializing in Ecology, Evolutionary Biology, and Behavior. I have heard so many good things about what Utopia has done. Do you not work for Utopia then?

I have no idea. I imagine it has something to do with the limited supply of novas in the world, though. Plus, I came out of the eruption process pretty normal-looking.* Have you noticed that Project Utopia only seems to grab the photogenic novas and not the ones who frighten people with their appearance?

Things that make you go hmm. . .

(* When I'm not powered-up, I mean.)

Project Utopia, like the Armed Services, has an aggressive recruitment drive. It's not a bad thing, really, it's just that if they really like you, they will push to find out if you're playing hard to get or really uninterested.

P3, would you like me to mention your real disinterest to the Recruitment Director here at Addis Abba? They'll stop once they realize that they don't have a chance, and they're just annoying you.

Originally Posted By: Instar
Aura, I spoke to the Project Utopia recruiter today. She said they had to get permission first since you were training with Team Tommorrow.

I spoke with my instructors. I think that they have agreed to let me have a partial day off. They're going to give you the tour, but I'll be able to sit down with you and tell you about my work afterwards, if they can convince the Admin Department that I can afford to take the time off.

Originally Posted By: Pew Pew Pew
Have you noticed that Project Utopia only seems to grab the photogenic novas and not the ones who frighten people with their appearance?

Things that make you go hmm. . .

Indeed. It is a sad statement on the subjective value that the so-called Utopia assigns to novas. It's ok to be a nova, so long as you still look like a baseline. It is a meaningless and offensive judgment that hurts nova-baseline relations by fostering the idea that "normal-looking" novas are good guys, and the "ugly" ones are all evil.

Very sad, and very troubling.

Originally Posted By: Aura
I spoke with my instructors. I think that they have agreed to let me have a partial day off. They're going to give you the tour, but I'll be able to sit down with you and tell you about my work afterwards, if they can convince the Admin Department that I can afford to take the time off.

Oh good, I'm really excited about coming out there now. A free trip is a free trip. smile You're not too busy though are you? I really appreciate you offering to meet with me but I don't want to get in the way of your training.

I meant "photogenic" to mean "pleasing to the eye" or even "attractive." I don't really mean to say that they only hire novas who they want to photograph. . .

Well, if that's the case, then I'm certainly flattered! I think I have a lot more than eye candy to offer to any company or organization I decide to commit to.

Originally Posted By: Hine-nui-te-po
Indeed. It is a sad statement on the subjective value that the so-called Utopia assigns to novas. It's ok to be a nova, so long as you still look like a baseline. It is a meaningless and offensive judgment that hurts nova-baseline relations by fostering the idea that "normal-looking" novas are good guys, and the "ugly" ones are all evil.

FWIW, I am not entirely 'normal-looking' anymore. Its probably the hardest part of all of this. But Utopia still is interested in me.

If it will stop the phone calls, yes please. Mom and Dad are getting really tired of it, and I'm starting to catch some of the overflow from that.

Consider it done. It's 9:30ish in the evening here, but I've requested a chat with her first thing in the morning. I'll show her this thread, and you may get one more call, as a mixed apology and last chance deal.

Originally Posted By: Hine-nui-te-po

Oh, yes, how very troubling that Utopia picks photogenic people for their marketing materials, just like they teach you in Business 101. Oh no!! They're being... strategic!

Originally Posted By: Instar
Oh good, I'm really excited about coming out there now. A free trip is a free trip. smile You're not too busy though are you? I really appreciate you offering to meet with me but I don't want to get in the way of your training.

Despite what my trainers think, a half-day off will not get in the way of my training. I mean, I think that they slave-drivers could use the time off, too. wink

I look forward to your visit.

If it will stop the phone calls, yes please. Mom and Dad are getting really tired of it, and I'm starting to catch some of the overflow from that.

Consider it done. It's 9:30ish in the evening here, but I've requested a chat with her first thing in the morning. I'll show her this thread, and you may get one more call, as a mixed apology and last chance deal.

Thank you very much. Could you just post the apology here, or PM it to me, please? I really don't want "just one more phone call." The whole point is to stop the calls. smile

Thank you very much. Could you just post the apology here, or PM it to me, please? I really don't want "just one more phone call." The whole point is to stop the calls. smile

Um, it's not my department, but I'll urge them to send you email instead. I know that if I make it clear that you're not interested, I can get them to stop, but I have the bad feeling that the recruitment head will want to apologize personally. But I'll make sure they read your post above.

Despite what my trainers think, a half-day off will not get in the way of my training. I mean, I think that they slave-drivers could use the time off, too. wink

I look forward to your visit.

Well, they are fast! Natalie did say she'd be back to me and she told me what you already told me here. I'm going to fly out tommorrow and stay for a couple days.

Should we exchange information? I need to know who to ask for when I get there. smile

Archived