Aberrant RPG - [sigh] May need a little help...

Kirby1024

OK, last night I decided to start STing a game of Aberrant. This isn't my first time, I've done it one before, but this time I decided that I'd do something a little different, and went for Aberrant in the Victorian Era on 20 nova points each.

And herein lies the problem. All 3 players have noted that they need to be fairly subtle. Also, I've told them that this series will be mainly mystery/adventure-based, not combat. So what did the players do? They all decided to be Mega-Smartarses with Perception to match. These guys are (Sherlock Holmes)^n. In addition, the Quantum Powers between them are Telepathy, Domination, Shrinking and Density Decrease (which further taxes my ol' grey matter when trying to think of nice mysteries that can be thought up in a week).

I have a nice villain lined up for them so far (a 83-year old Gravity Manipulator who erupted 60+ years ago), but that's about it. I'm certain you guys must have dealt with something similar (and I did check up, but technological aides and Psychic Shields aren't exactly availiable in this time).

So, what do you suggest? For the benefit, they're all English Lords, and two of them are/were police investigators.

I presume they plan to sneak around all shrunk down through the decaying warehouses where the villians criminal gang may plot nefarious schemes.

Obviously they'll be going in at the ground level (unless they want some 'Borrowers' style action) where they will meet...... rats- bigger, nastier and more aggresive than any people meet today.

A few sewer rat attacks will calm their yen to sneak about all small and unnoticable like.

SJE

All is not yet lost, it all depends on the tone of the game you are trying to run. I do like the Victorian era as a setting as it puts a lot of social constraint on characters whereby they really have to think before they act/speak or become a social outcast.

If your theme is that of darkness and unseen evil, as of Jack the ripper etc then do that. Jack was never caught and it is presumed by many that he may have had royal connections. It would be very amusing to have the characters track down a killer and then be unable to prove it, can they take justice into their own hands? Also how do these people solve their problems. Constant use of their powers on the criminal underground will give them huge headaches, word will spread, and people could try to discredit them etc.

Alternativly, if your game is more light hearted, and these two lords of yours are going to be a problem, have "pater" telkl them that they must marry......and then kidnap her....the old plots are the best.

Just don't let them get your dander up!

There are some other ways to "counter" the players investigative juggernaut. They have Domination, great. They can dominate the Bad Guy's thugs and get the whole scheme. Not if the bad guy only tells his thugs qwhat they need to know and no more. OR maybe the bad guy has ESP, so whenever the players start to try and use their mental powers he sees it and disrupts things with his gravity powers. Also try tot hrow int hings that they can't resist. The Victorian Age is a fine times for vices. Alcohol, absinth, opium, all these and more could give the characters a human dimension and yet make them vulnerable and less effective if they indullge. Another idea would be to throw them into social situations where to get the info they need, they must be propoerly charming and obey etiquette. Just some thoughts. Have fun!

Interesting idea.

I've always really liked the Victorian period as a game setting.

The first thing to remember (and the one players usually ignore) is that using Domination on someone, forcing them to do something they would otherwise rather not do, is a very profound kind of assault, something almost akin to rape. Most people have moral qualms about that kind of thing - especially good Victorian Gentlemen (and Ladies).

Secondly, as to the whole matter of technology...bear in mind that that is entirely up to you.

For a fascinating, if somewhat liberal and Jules Verne/H G Welles take on Victorian technology, have a look at The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, a comic by Alan Moore.

It's also important to remember that "gadgets" a-la Aberrant are not actually technological advances, necessarily. They are simply mental excuses used by a nova to excercise their power on the world, a bit like Foci in mage... How much freedom characters have in that regard is up to you to decide, of course.

But imagine how interesting it would be if all those ancient artefacts in the British Museum really were "magical" - a pre-information age version of Aberrant's gadgets...

------------------

There are no stupid questions.

Only stupid answers.

Thanks all, given me a bit to think about. I also consulted one of my ICQ buddies, about possible adventures outside of England. This has sparked a little "creative thinking", and I've come up with a few thoughts, mainly with the constraint of possible threats.

Now I have to use the "nova" wild card very sparingly (considering I need to replace characters if they die and such), but since novas live for so long (and their effects can last a considerable period), what do you think of a possible Vampire problem in Eastern Europe from a Centuries-old Taint Monkey?

Or perhaps a possible Tribe in Africa that just happens to have a Nova Royal family?

Or even just some ol' fashioned Political Intrigue in Italy?

Oh the possibilities. Thankyou all!

Archived