Aberrant RPG - Carrying other people with the Flight power

gendhil

In my recent games, my players have confronted me several times with the situation of one of them with the Flight power trying to carry of the others.

I wasn't able to spot a hard rule on this, looking in the base rulebook.

I've baked a home rule saying that you can carry one additionnal person for each dot in Flight after the first. While doing so, your speed is reduced to a Flight level reduced by one dot per person lifted. Also, all Flight checks for difficult maneuvers have a cumulative penalty of 1 for each person lifted.

Is there an official rule ? Do you have a better home rule than this one ?

To make matters worse, one of my players also has Gravitic Flight with an odd rating ...

Hmmm ... your house rule sounds fine. In my TT experience, we used the Lifting rules. If someone can lift it, they can fly with it, though I could see you adding your dots in flight to said Str+Might roll.

I would point out, a M-Str. flyer can (in theory) grab a bus and fly off with it. Using carrying capacity is a good benchmark.

I also like your adding a difficulty for each person carried. It makes sense.

Its a points trade-off, really, as well as theme-centered. Does it make sense for your character to have M-str.?

If they want to carry people (and you have the Aberrant Player's Guide) get a level or two of TK weaknesses so that in only works while flying and only for the purposes of carrying others, as well as a touch range. That should be relatively cheap and have the same effect for a 1 point power. Remember, you add your Q as automatic success for carrying, so at 5 successes carry just about any and everybody.

Instead of using the independent movement rate of 10 m/dot, say that the person is physically taking them along, per the lift/carrying rules.

Quote:
Originally posted by gendhil:
I see your point, but making a mega strong with 1 in flight a better sky carrier than a nova with 5 in flight disturbs me.
Depends on how you look at things. The nova with Mega-Strength 1 and Flight 1 would be able to carry a lot more than the nova with Strength 3 and Flight 5, but the latter nova would be far more maneuverable and fast (barring Enhanced Movement or Hypermovement).

Uh, the answer is far simpler than all the number crunching.

As a no mega-stregnth character, you are still bound to how much you can normally carry, as normal. So you can only fly with as much as you carry.

Now as a Mega Sta, that increases the amount you can carry very much. A Mega Stamina 5 character could lift quite alot.

So, when it comes to carrying people, it still comes down to the encumberance rules.

It's common sense, and common sense usually patches what seem to be glaring holes in mechanic.

RE: Mega-Stamina 5

I don't see how that applies. Mega-Strength is the relevant stat especially as it's used for figuring encumberance. Weigh someone with M-Stam 5 and Strength 1 down with a ton of stuff and he can't move.

RE: Flight

Use lifting rules. The flight power doesn't have accelleration, and the rules for applying flight to other objects are either non-existant (for substituting flight for strength) or grim (attunement). Without accelleration you have a power that ignores the parts of physics that would let it sub in strength so it does actually make sense. Meaning that a Str 1, Flight 5 guy is really good at flying, turning, etc, but he can't lift crap.

RE: Attunement

With attune 5 you can attune another player and use your flight power on them. You still control it, they function as part of your body as far as the power goes (this is an upgrade to attune which was covered in the APG).

• 2 weeks later...