Aberrant RPG - Disorient and wording.

Chiteki Hoshiko

Has any one else noticed this? The Disorient power states in its description "the target may spend a point of Willpower to shake off the effects, but the attacking nova may use the power on the same target multiple times" as if with just one point of willpower the effect was gone until reapplied.

This wouldn't present a problem if it weren't for the part before it: "If any dice pool is reduced to half or less, the target cannot use that power or ability at all unless she spends a point of Willpower"

If a point of willpower cancels the effects, why would you spend a point of willpower to be able to use a halved dice pool? The errata says nothing of this, what do you think?

My reading of that is that it takes an action to shake off the effects of the disorient (spend the willpower, that's your action), or you can spend a willpower to make an action you couldn't normally because your dice pool is halved. So it's a matter of expediency: shake off the effects, or do something useful. Either one takes a will and an action. And since you can only use 1 will at a time, you can only do one of those.

My reading is that you can just spend a Willpower to completely ignore it. No action taken. We discussed this in chat even as I was making a character that was going to take it, but the power is pretty lame with a willpower blowing it off.

Yes, you can keep hitting them with it, but that is an action to use the power on them each time.

~Noir

I think it's a bit more cinematically appropriate, for it to take an action to shake off the effects of a nova's disorienting power.

You're hit by a wave of vertigo, you're going to be staggered unless you can virtually ignore it outright. It takes a second to shake off the effects, then get back into the swing of things.

Even if you're just splitting your action, that still means you're going to take a moment to shake off the effects (thus reducing dice pools on later actions, and you're going to want to spend that will as your first action, so your further actions that round aren't at penalized dice pools from the disorient as well).

The alternative doesn't make as much sense, thematically or from a game-balance standpoint. You're hit by a wave of vertigo, and with an effort of will you keep going as if nothing happened. Despite the fact that a potentially far more powerful nova just focused his complete attention on giving you that vertigo.

I don't see it.

It does seem to be poorly written.

1) spend a willpower to use a halved or less die pool.

2) spend a willpower to shake off the effects.

I know which I'm choosing.

It makes sense to me that option 2 would take a whole action, but that's just my opinion. The wording of the power is awful.

Huh. That comes down to does "shake off the effects" require an action or not. ST's call, I'd say it does but that's just me. Assuming it does take an action to zap someone it gets significantly stronger.

Having said that, this is definately a speciality power and not everyone will find it useful.

Examples:

1) Totentanz uses it in a grim way, he runs you out of willpower (and juice) and then fights while you're down.

2) One of that mind control society in Forceful Personalities uses it to grind down people's willpower in combo with torture/mind control.

Other uses:

1) Since it's an effect being controlled by someone else, mega-dice are subtracted first.

2) It can be used on people without threat of killing them.

3) Presumably you could nail someone with this and then attack before they have a spare action to "shake it off".

4) There doesn't seem to be any defenses against it, or the defenses against it are pretty rare (I suppose you could apply Strobe's defense against it, but not many people have it).