So Sammie's coming out of Chrysalis...

Ghostwriter

I'm bringing the PC out of her absence by saying she was in Chrysalis, and with the wonderful changing powers of the quantum cocoon, she will be altered.

Firstly, she will have botched the roll to go into Chrysalis, so her Archetype will shift from Marvel back to her original intended one of Portent.

Secondly, she will lose the feathers and whiskers along with her physical flesh: she will be developing Permanent Power - Density Decrease 5 to represent her becoming pure visual information. Her Coloured Skin will change from parchment-yellow to vellum-creamy, but the Glow, Aberrant Eyes and Anima Banner will remain.

Why am I doing this, you ask? Well, some people told me I need to stick with what I've got, and a certain somebody by name of Ptesan-Wi suggested I should use Chrysalis to get back to the core of what she is, and at the heart of it, she is information.

Her Telepathy and Mirage (Area) will go up; she will be able to create illusionary worlds. Holo (Sight/Touch) and Holo (Voice) are not out of the question.

So... any suggestions?

Alright, here we go.

First, Dawn, ya know I love ya, so this just me going by "ink on paper" so nothing personal. I am, and always will be against making Density Decrease a permanent power, and as you read on will find why taking it as an aberration (according to your character sheet, you did.) should seriously be a sucky thing.

1. I'm looking at Samrha's character sheet, and perhaps I'm wrong but Density Decrease isn't on it. This sheet is as of the battle at Procyon's about 6 months ago, when Samhra was last active (to my knowledge). How did he master Density Decrease in 6 months while in Chysalis? Pupa Power cannot, and should not automatically grant someone 5 dots in a power. It takes years to master Q-Powers.

2. You took Density Decrease as an Aberration. Excellent choice, I think you made the right one there. Had you just made it permanent I would have had a conniption fit. However, as an aberration she should not be permitted to become solid at all. No eating, no touching, no making your cheek solid so Singularity can kiss it, nothing!. Aberrations are not gifts, they are curses.

3. I'm not to hot on her having +12 bonus successes to any mental attack. Congrats, you just made her damn nigh invincible.

That should be her curse, she permanently looses the physical world forever (high level aberrations are not something you should ever reap a benefit from). That's the price she pays for botching the Chrysalis roll.

Rev, no offence taken.

She's lost the senses of touch and taste forever; she can only 'touch' a person or object via Holo, and she can only use that when she is invoking Molecular Manipulation, Healing or Temporal Manipulation.

Density Decrease 5 might be a little excessive, but she has at least Density Decrease 3 or 4.

I do admit that some of the power increases will be from before Chrysalis - I tend to do big updates in one go, so it doesn't always come across as gradual.

Besides, it could be worse; I could have done Bodymorph: Information. smile

I'll take the DD under advisement.

Thanks for the feedback.

Rev,

Yup, going from DD0 to DD5 in a scant six months would normally be questionable. That said, I'm willing to give it a thumbs-up in this case, for the following reasons:

1. It's Chrysalis, which is in effect a second eruption. All manner of funky wierdness can and does happen therein; heck, people erupt out of the box with 5-dot powers (all too often, if you ask me).

2. This isn't so much a case of Samhra mastering the power, as it is a matter of the power mastering her. No matter how the Terats may like to spin it as a "unique and progressive evolution", it's a permanent affliction. She'll never again know the taste of sweet honey or ice cream, will never again know the feel of her lover's touch or the soft comfort of a cotton shirt, will never enjoy the warmth of a fire or the cool sensation of swimming. For someone with Asperger's Syndrome, this is doubly a penalty; we're tactile people by nature (even if not necessarily with other people), and this is going to be hell on the character.

3. It's perfect for the character concept. I'd rather see a really good story and a bit of fudging on numbers than a crisp, legalistic character sheet and a mediocre story.

That's my two bits.

I am going with the wife on this one. Chysalis is a perfect justification for going from 0 - 60 in a month or two. Remember you save up dozens of XP before entering. The logic of saying 'You cannot buy anything new to high' simply does not pan out. That means you can only buy little powers that you didn't want or fit your concept.

Originally Posted By: Ptesan-Wi
2. This isn't so much a case of Samhra mastering the power, as it is a matter of the power mastering her. No matter how the Terats may like to spin it as a "unique and progressive evolution", it's a permanent affliction. She'll never again know the taste of sweet honey or ice cream, will never again know the feel of her lover's touch or the soft comfort of a cotton shirt, will never enjoy the warmth of a fire or the cool sensation of swimming.

The only problem with this is that she can still suppliment her senses with her powers and came right out of the gate able to do so. She's bypassed the aberration by using Q-powers. It's the same as if I bought Quantum Imprint (Men Only) then Quantum Imprint (Women Only) and spent my weakness points like it was okay. I've bypassed the weakness and come out on top.

She should suffer, it's a baneful aberration and by supplimenting her senses she is still getting something out of it, a fake sensation is better than nothing at all.

Quote:
3. It's perfect for the character concept. I'd rather see a really good story and a bit of fudging on numbers than a crisp, legalistic character sheet and a mediocre story.

I 100% agree, which is why I didn't rip it apart. I like the character of Samhra, and this new aberration is actually pretty cool. I just do not want to see it taken then bypassed right out of the gate. I want to read about her pain and loss of sensation (all sensation, even the fake ones).

I want to taste her tears in a bucket molded from pure anguish.

Originally Posted By: Wakinyan
I am going with the wife on this one.

This is an OOC thread dude, yer gettin' a lil too deep in yer fantasies there ain't ya Sparky?

Originally Posted By: Ghostwriter
I'm bringing the PC out of her absence by saying she was in Chrysalis, and with the wonderful changing powers of the quantum cocoon, she will be altered.

Just remember, it's one week per exp spent.

Quote:
She should suffer, it's a baneful aberration and by supplimenting her senses she is still getting something out of it, a fake sensation is better than nothing at all.

I'd actually disagree with that last bit. If it was a case of never having experienced true tactile input and having the various secondary-system workarounds, that would be one thing. But when there's the memory of the real thing involved, it's something else entirely.

A fake sensation - if played right - can serve as a cruel and bitter reminder of the absence of true sensation, especially when a character has been as sensory-intensive as has Samhra.

It's somewhat like in Vampire: the Requiem; the presence of the shadows of mortal emotions often plagues the vampires, who are unable to experience the real thing any longer.

Originally Posted By: Ghostwriter

Firstly, she will have botched the roll to go into Chrysalis, so her Archetype will shift from Marvel back to her original intended one of Portent.

Secondly, she will lose the feathers and whiskers along with her physical flesh: she will be developing Permanent Power - Density Decrease 5 to represent her becoming pure visual information. Her Coloured Skin will change from parchment-yellow to vellum-creamy, but the Glow, Aberrant Eyes and Anima Banner will remain.

Why am I doing this, you ask? Well, some people told me I need to stick with what I've got, and a certain somebody by name of Ptesan-Wi suggested I should use Chrysalis to get back to the core of what she is, and at the heart of it, she is information.

Her Telepathy and Mirage (Area) will go up; she will be able to create illusionary worlds. Holo (Sight/Touch) and Holo (Voice) are not out of the question.

So... any suggestions?

If she botched Chrysalis why is anything going right? Why are her powers increasing. Her Chrysalis didn't work. That's what the botch is. Why is she getting rid of physical aberrations? You aren't supposed to be able to change those. Only mental to physical is available.

Personally, I don't have a problem with it. If novas, as the book says, can do anything, then 'anything' includes this sort of thing. It may not be strictly by the rules or it may be open to interpretation, but I trust Sam's player to do right by it.

Unfortunately there are a lot of folks I wouldn't trust. But it isn't fair to say that Dawn can do it but MC can't because none of us trust MC to do right by it. It really isn't.

Chrysalis has set rules. Can't dump aberations, can't fix physical or quantum ones. Takes 1 week for each exp you spend. If you botch it yer fuckered in that it isn't doing what you wanted it to do. You get aberrations, your choice, for dots 4 and 5 of Permenent Chrysalis. You get social penalties for dots 4, 6, and 8 for dots of Permenent Chrysalis.

If you can't play by the rules use something else as the explanation.

And yeah, I do trust Dawn but again, I'm also for a level playing field when it comes to following the rules. Opinions vary so much on who is trustworthy and who is a worthless fuckstick that I don't think trustworthy is a good gauge.

You know, the other possibility to going the non-canon route is that "Ghostwriter" is a fake and a fraud. Someone who, for whatever reason, is trying to usurp Samhra's identity on the OpNet. Grabbed hold of her login codes somehow (maybe Ghostwriter is a helluva hacker), changed her screenname, then plans to do various nastiness.

It would, at least, remove the thorny issue of retconning the thread.

Archived