Aberrant: 2011 - Q and A Catalyst

Catalyst

Um, some people have expressed the feeling that I make shit up on the spot. Wile this is true. It is largely due to the fact that no one can really think of every angle or every way to spin most if not any subject matter. Everyone does it.

So, by putting this thread up I am saying go for it.Ask me now I will stick to it. You want to know about Catalyst's Allies? Or Her mentor? Why does he have so much money ...ECT.

Well that is a complex issue. I will give a short answer now and more details later.

Carlos, was there when Catalyst erupted, and in fact had at least a seemingly large role in saving her life. The actions and results of her eruption formed a emotional bond between the two. Perry looks up to Carlos as the person who saved her life, and Carlos sees her as his daughter and damned lucky his powers "worked".

Quote:
It is largely due to the fact that no one can really think of every angle or every way to spin most if not any subject matter.

Or you just accept that you cannot/should not have a plan for everything.

Sometimes, you're just caught flatfooted.

Sucks that people rarely want to accept that and always have to be the bad ass.

Calrlos is some what her keeper,and jailer.

They both care deeply for each other but is a paternal child thing. Carlos being gay and a nova. So he doesn't have nay children of his own. He is really old. He server in man, was discharged by his CO because he was gay, but in way that got him a honorable discharge. I haven't figured out how, but this is a minor bit of his story. If anyone has any ideas, I am open for them.

He was told by higher ups that, she could either big a really big threat or asset, and that the risks were leaning towards threat. Carlos was told clearly, she could not be let to run lose. Seeing how he formed a bond of sorts with her, he said he would make sure she turned out all right. Carlos cares deeply for her but he also sees her as way to gain power. After all if he could make her his ally, he would have more help.

He is teaching her ways to use her quantum,and how to many things.Ask for details..But they are mainly things like self defense, and who is in charge of what.

Finally Catalyst having been thrown out her family uses Carlos as a stone. If it hasn't been clear from my posts. She is very unsure about herself and her future.

Okay Miss cutie Mccuter ask me why is Carlos Rich.

Carlos was always smart, really just more so as a nova. When he was kicked out the Army he went into banking, and over the course of 20 years bout a bank. He still own the bank and the resources it make, but when joined the FBI's pay roll as an expert in corpate fruad and counter fitting. I know old but he was a paper pusher, and damned good at doing his job. He did back ground stuff.

He rose threw the ranks. In 2004 he is transferred to the Nova Afair branch fo the FBI because he erupted. So in short he has money because he owns a bank. The dude is like 80 and really smart.

The fortress ..Well He lives there because he has to watch Catalyst. More details when I have more time to post.

First off, I'm always leary of someone creating a powerful NPC to watch over their PC. Powerful people usually have better things to do than look after another adult. Since the residual effects of your Mentor keep coming up in play (he buys you things, you live in a house provided by him, ect.), you need to outline his pubic presence as well.

Now, assuming he isn't a pre-Galetea nova, 80 is too old for an active duty agent, as is him being 69 back in 1998 when the nova age began. He needs to be younger. Now, if he was in Vietnam (1965-75), he had to be at least 18 during, thus him being born around 1957 at the latest.

Prior to 1992, the Armed Services could Dishonorably Discharge you for being homosexual (I believe). Also, the FBI wouldn't take you if they knew. At the very least, Carlos would have had to live his life in the closet for the most of his life. Considering the considerable institutional bias, it is unlikely that a gay agent would have ever been given a position of power. I see even less reason for the FBI to promote a gay nova agent. That's two crosses for him to bare.

I personally don't think you should create a Mentor 4. That is someone with "significant (perhaps even GLOBAL) clout." What you have created is someone with BOTH power on a national level, AND has substationl nova abilities. I say, go for one or the other.

- I would like you to post Carlos' abilities and known backgrounds, because if he is Nationally important in the US, and a public servant, he is also most likely known.

A note on backing. Its a job and with the backstory being that Catalyst is getting her resources from her job, take some time out for that. I think you have been doing well, but being an Emergancy Responder in a Full-Time job; going on a week long trip across country (after only a few months on the job) is a bit odd.

-I would like some kind of outline about what you think Cat's schedule should be. I imagine she spends lots of time training and going to calls across the third largest state.

Well, he wasn't a field agent until after becoming a nova. He was behind a desk,and researching. The him being a nova, is a double edged sword. One thing is clear is that he is inhumanly capable of his job.

Perry is not on active duty due to legal issues with her age. She is being paid but not her full amount. she just doesn't have to do as much work. She spent the last week doing PR stuff in DC, but that really is all she can legally do. Still better to jeep her on "retainer" than letting her go.

Originally Posted By: Ravenshire
(he buys you things, you live in a house provided by him, ect.)

Prior to 1992, the Armed Services could Dishonorably Discharge you for being homosexual (I believe). Also, the FBI wouldn't take you if they knew. At the very least, Carlos would have had to live his life in the closet for the most of his life. Considering the considerable institutional bias, it is unlikely that a gay agent would have ever been given a position of power. I see even less reason for the FBI to promote a gay nova agent. That's two crosses for him to bare.

I personally don't think you should create a Mentor 4. That is someone with "significant (perhaps even GLOBAL) clout." What you have created is someone with BOTH power on a national level, AND has substationl nova abilities. I say, go for one or the other.
- I would like you to post Carlos' abilities and known backgrounds, because if he is Nationally important in the US, and a public servant, he is also most likely known.

A note on backing. Its a job and with the backstory being that Catalyst is getting her resources from her job, take some time out for that. I think you have been doing well, but being an Emergancy Responder in a Full-Time job; going on a week long trip across country (after only a few months on the job) is a bit odd.
-I would like some kind of outline about what you think Cat's schedule should be. I imagine she spends lots of time training and going to calls across the third largest state.

Um Carlos has bought her nothing bigger than normal clothes, and food. SHe pays rent for her place, just not a whole lot.

He was found out by a sympathetic CO, who found away to get him kicked out without the the "dishonor".

The FBI has been very pragmatic about a lot of issues you would think they are not.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst

Ok, this is my pet fucking peeve with you. Don't toss out just a website as an answer to a question. Provide a summary, and give me what point you're trying to make. I can't make a critical judgment of your point if I have no idea what your source is supposed to be supporting.

Originally Posted By: Hugin
Okay, prior to 1990 he couldn't have gotten a security clearance. Honestly, I'm not sure if he could have been an agent though. They're a bit like the army in that regard.

And I think that it's unlikely that he would have been hired at that age and worked his way into that clearance. The position of Special Agent (which is what Carlos would have to have to have the level of power of power that I think has been indicated) has an age requirement: "You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent (https://www.fbijobs.gov/11.asp)."

To be an Intelligence Analyst, he would have to have a Bachelor's degree, which is not included in his background above (https://www.fbijobs.gov/1212.asp). Of course, he might have been in the "Business Management" branch, which is basically the support staff that makes the FBI work (https://www.fbijobs.gov/125.asp). I'd like to see a bit more research from you about what position Carlos has and what duties and privledges this grants him.

This is not general bitchery. This is a genuine concern. The reason I'm concerned (and this is a concern about ALL high-dot Mentors) is because in a TT game, the Mentor is under ST control. Here, the only person say who or what the mentor is is the player. And no offense Catalyst, but I have no faith in you to be responsible with this situation.

Okay, I get the honorable discharge.

On the homosexuality, the problem is another Catch-22. Did he lie on his Security Clearance Application (saying he wasn't homosexual), or did he tell the truth, and thus not get the Clearance, and thus the promotion? He could have gotten around that by being celibate. In other words, he liked men, but never acted on his impulses.

As for the competancy thing - well, we can all wish that the most competant would get the jobs, but I've known that to only rarely be the case. Sometimes superiors promote someone of less competance so they don't have to watch their back (and they have a patsy if needed). Then there is 'Ole Boy's Network, nepotism, and 'Friend of a Friend'.

Carlos has a rather unique problem too. He is an Intelligence Officer and he works with other Intelligence Officers. His co-workers are going to look stupid when Carlos reveals his big secret. This doesn't hurt Carlos because he's gay, but because he has decieved people who should know better.

I can understand him being a senior agent, and even assigned to a Special Branch (Nova Affairs) within the FBI, but the Influence that job holds shouldn't be as great as we've previously discussed. Essentially, he has limited (law enforcement) clout over a national level.

Originally Posted By: Dawn, GM
Originally Posted By: Catalyst

Ok, this is my pet fucking peeve with you. Don't toss out just a website as an answer to a question. Provide a summary, and give me what point you're trying to make. I can't make a critical judgment of your point if I have no idea what your source is supposed to be supporting.

To be honest, there aret wo reasons I replied in said mannor. One being that if "summed" it up, I think I would have missed a key detail. Two, it was a reply to someone who frankly said you characters are not real, but I want to know more about them anyways?Really? Or I rather think it was that he wanted to poke holes in my story.

[
Originally Posted By: Hugin
Okay, prior to 1990 he couldn't have gotten a security clearance. Honestly, I'm not sure if he could have been an agent though. They're a bit like the army in that regard.

And I think that it's unlikely that he would have been hired at that age and worked his way into that clearance. The position of Special Agent (which is what Carlos would have to have to have the level of power of power that I think has been indicated) has an age requirement: "You must be at least 23 years of age, but younger than 37 upon your appointment as a Special Agent (https://www.fbijobs.gov/11.asp)."

Try puting an iportance on age when you have some become an young man again. He did not become powerful within the FBi in terms of ranks or postions until he erupted.

To be an Intelligence Analyst, he would have to have a Bachelor's degree, which is not included in his background above (https://www.fbijobs.gov/1212.asp). Of course, he might have been in the "Business Management" branch, which is basically the support staff that makes the FBI work (https://www.fbijobs.gov/125.asp). I'd like to see a bit more research from you about what position Carlos has and what duties and privledges this grants him.

THat is not wholely ture about the dagree part. It is mostly true. As I recall there more than a few times when the FBi hired experts with no dreegess based on other things. IE the Hackers who were hired in the 90ies.

This is not general bitchery. This is a genuine concern. The reason I'm concerned (and this is a concern about ALL high-dot Mentors) is because in a TT game, the Mentor is under ST control. Here, the only person say who or what the mentor is is the player. And no offense Catalyst, but I have no faith in you to be responsible with this situation.

And in all honesty have I misused him once?If so how? You do not truest me, that is cool. Stil I do not think you have any proof on thsi case to say that I will misuse him. You may have proof that I have intended to do so, but I would point out that I alos have hopefully have given you proof that if people think things are wrong I wil change them.

THis subject is something I cannot really change without changing my character retroactively. I can however let other people control Carlos' actions,and I amw illing to do so in some if not most ways.

Catalyst has asked if it is all right to reduce the dots in Mentor to 3 instead of 4, and to refund the XP spent. We have decided to open this up to input to the people on the boards. Post any opinions, good or bad, in this thread, and a decision will be made shortly.

Note that this will set a precedent for "unpurchasing" things purchased for all characters, not just this one case. For this reason we have decided to make this public and if necessary, we will give it its own discussion thread.

I am very disapointed in Director 2009's lack of tack. They did not only bring this subject matter into public without asking me,and placing it in this thread. I urge people to ignore that post in this thread. If Director 2009 wishes to make it a public issue, on the grounds that it could effeact the whole board, they should have made a new thread. If they wished to bring it up due to who is asking, they should have asked me. this is my first and last post on that action in this thread.

If anyone wishes to ask me questions about Catatlyst please feel free to ask.

I'm in favor of unpurchasing, as long as we don't go willy-nilly about it - say, unpurchasing a shitload of Xp every week or so.

If I were to propose any system, I would propose that this only be applicable to 'soft' backgrounds, or things that can change easily - such as quitting a job and not having Backing there any more, or giving someone your eufibre suit. Things like attributes, abilities, and powers, not so. Willpower, maybe - it's borderline, but if people can get more strong-willed over time, why not having them get weak-willed? (And yes, people can get less skilled/smart/strong over time too, but I think we have to set a limit on how radical these changes can be. We don't want someone totally unrecognizable every however-long. And this has to be a workable system that is easily maintained and kept track of, because the number of characters is only going to grow.)

I propose, also, that it require an in-story reason, Director approval and that it happen no more than every 3 months - I'm tempted to say 6 months, but that's actually a pretty long time.

And I'm all in favor of moving this to a new thread, since it does affect everyone.

Archived