Aberrant: 2011 - Are the 2009 rules set in stone?

Catalyst

The Answer, as far as I can see so far is... Nope. Just really firmly set.

At anytime we as a community can change the rules we set up for this forum. It may piss some people off, it may not. It doesn't matter things can and do change.

I bring this up because I have heard grumbling about how few EXp we get. I was thinking if we really did want more, couldn't we just raise the amount of EXP people get? Would it really be that big of a deal?

I would agree. The EXP rules fairly set. However there is no rule that states that a point of bonus EXP cannot be offered from time to time.

How, why, and to whom these rewards could/should go to should be left to the Directors or a unanimous outcry from players.

If this is something you would like to discuss than I would encourage all players to voice their input.

So, since we set the rules up in the past...They can never change... After all ..Wait wait. Those are knee jerk reactions.

Would 2009 change to 2017 if the rules were to change abit?If say two thirds of the players wanted to let people people play nova who erupted 6 months before they join the site. Would that lead to teh cluster fuck that is Waki?

I wouldn't be opposed to a bonus point of XP or two for a particularly well-composed fic, but that leaves the problem of who adjudicates such a bonus. Also, I am a shameless XP whore, which I have no problem advertising, so this could easily be a reflection of my greed coupled with my masturbatory belief that anything I write would merit such an award.

So what is the point to this Catalyst?

Are you asking for a change or are you just stating opinions? Seriously, if you want to propose a change then just come out with it.

"Are rules etched in stone?"

No. Certainly any one of us propose a change in them, providing we actually made a proposal. So far you have yet to do so.

I know I'm one of the newst players here, but the rules are specifically set up to be changeale if the players desire them to change. The thing is a majority of players have to want them to change. It seems pretty apparent from the reaction so far that a majority will not want the xp rules to change.

Quote:
However there is no rule that states that a point of bonus EXP cannot be offered from time to time.

Personally, I don't think this is a good idea because then people will be advancing at unpredictable rates, which I understand is one of the reasons for setting up 2009 in the first place. Plus you will end up with people getting their feelings hurt because their totally awesome post didn't earn bonus xp, and the arbitrators will be getting pestered to give it out.

Now if a majority of players take part in a major roleplay and the directors chose to award bonus xp to everyone that would be ok.

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
So what is the point to this Catalyst?

Are you asking for a change or are you just stating opinions? Seriously, if you want to propose a change then just come out with it.

"Are rules etched in stone?"

No. Certainly any one of us propose a change in them, providing we actually made a proposal. So far you have yet to do so.

the whole point was to see if the rules could change.Nothing more.Nothing less.

That's not what I read. Seemed to me that the point was limiting the characters and setting a level playing field with established rules that couldn't be just brushed aside at player's whim.

I did read all the categories on 2009s rules being discussed and established even if I did just join the game.

Originally Posted By: Chance
...It seems pretty apparent from the reaction so far that a majority will not want the xp rules to change.
The XP rate was one of the most hard faught issues of the board's development. We ended up with a three way tie with one third of the voting board wanting 4, one third wanting more, and one third wanting less. IMHO the rate is a can of worms best left unopened.

Originally Posted By: Chance
Personally, I don't think this is a good idea because then people will be advancing at unpredictable rates, which I understand is one of the reasons for setting up 2009 in the first place. Plus you will end up with people getting their feelings hurt because their totally awesome post didn't earn bonus xp, and the arbitrators will be getting pestered to give it out.
Agreed and well put. It's like tossing out a gold apple with the words "for the fairest" on it.

And note there are other reasons not to do this on top of these, the overhead and upkeep on this sort of thing would not be small.

Archived