Aberrant: 2011 - Matter Chameleon and reasonable uses

Catalyst

The simple fact is that, one can abuse this power in many ways. Even witha story teller.

So, I would like to ask for a guideline of what it can or can't do.

One could say that the power lets a user of it to gain roughly anywhere from 3 to 5 points of nova powers per dot in it. These powers are based on the properties of the substance the nova is emulating. Just an idea.

I am open for other ideas.

The guidelines on the power are rather simple.

A substance may not provide more damage or soak that the lower of a)the substances normal properties; b)the novas power rating x3.

So imagine what a zipper would give you> Titanium or not the mass of what you dumplicated would not be very impressive. The example they give even specifies that when talking about max amount of damage they can inflict.

Frankly I don't think you should be trusted with the power, you make up things on the fly to often and have proven that.

Originally Posted By: Gabriel Law
The guidelines on the power are rather simple.

A substance may not provide more damage or soak that the lower of a)the substances normal properties; b)the novas power rating x3.

So imagine what a zipper would give you> Titanium or not the mass of what you dumplicated would not be very impressive. The example they give even specifies that when talking about max amount of damage they can inflict.

Frankly I don't think you should be trusted with the power, you make up things on the fly to often and have proven that.
Let's take this the simple way. DO you really want the rules to run rim shot over style? Or even over other rules?

One the mass of an object doesn't change a damned thing about the how strong or hard it is. The fact is that if Cat touched a I beam of steel, she would become steel, right? She touches half of one. It is still the same metal.

You want a list of objects she carries around?

here is a short list. A micro plasma Tourch,Industrial dimionds, a few really strong metals, both in crystal and glass forms, some gold,three sets of o3, carbon, tear gas. We are talking like things the size of dimes at the largest the size of a cell phone.

Lastly the object it self clearly doesn't matter but rather what the object represents. Dimoind can't not lift a car..but a girl made of dimionds an throw one..Wha?

Not the size of the object really doesn't matter. Really. It is how the object would be like in the scale of a nova, with a fucking node.

Actually, I don't think that Matter Chameleon would give someone who is diamond super-strength. It would give claws, armor or invul. Diamonds are that heavy, not pound for pound compared to metals, and shouldn't grant DI.

Okay. I've tried to ignore this. Really, I have. But that list of objects is ignorant. It's as ridiculous as everything else you've come up with thus far. She carries diamonds on her person? Tear gas? A plasma torch?! By all that is holy, get some perspective. You cannot justify the things that your characters do or have, so you make things up on the spot. Custom-made bags crafted of multiple materials to give her anything she wants to use MC on? A cell-phone utility belt given to her by the FBI to film crimes in progress? Unlimited resources, because her "mentor" (who is never discussed outside of these justifications, by the way) is unimaginably rich and influential? What's next? Depleted uranium cores, so she can irradiate anyone she wants? Access to government databases? Oh, I know... How about diplomatic immunity? Or, perhaps, a lab to create a serum that will cause every latent who's exposed to it to erupt? Pretercognition, so you can metagame all you want and not have to justify it with even half-baked attempts at roleplay and flimsy excuses?

I am literally sick, physically ill at the prospect of playing in a game universe in which these sorts of behaviors are tolerated and encouraged. They are a detriment to the sanity of the players and the cohesive nature of the shared world in which we're all supposed to be operating. None of this makes any sense at all.

Please... Someone explain to me the benefits of letting this continue? I'm begging you. Show me how any of these contributions have had a positive impact. Please.

Quote:
One the mass of an object doesn't change a damned thing about the how strong or hard it is.

It does actually. But explaining science to you is an exercise in futility.

Tear Gas is illegal, but let me guess, it would allow her to become an insubstantial cloud of Tear Gas like the example given in the book.

Plasma Torch? Wow... must go great with the cell phone utility belt that the FBI gave her to fight crime.

Catalyst, seriously, keep this up and I will cease to acknowledge the existance of this character up to and including banning her from any group fictions that I host for other players.

And if all these items are on her person where do they go when she changes into air, or water? She does not have attunement yet always makes sure to not note where her equipment is until someone asks... then there is Troy or some other made up excuse carrying her things always ready to make sure she never misses a beat if she needs to shift to something else.

If this is allowed to continue and I am expected to share a world where these sorts of things are encouraged I would be better off killing my characters now and moving on to something else.

I'm not saying Catalyst could not own this equipment, or have access to it. But clearly she has compiled this list to make sure that she can meta game herself out of any possible scenario.

I agree that some of the items on that list are a bit outlandish and deserve some review: tear gas, as it was pointed out, is illegal. A plasma torch is pushing things past credulity.

But let's be reasonable. If I knew that I could turn into whatever substance I touched, you can bet your fucking ass I'd be carrying around a trinket bag with an assortment of stones, metals, a bit of wood, a little cordial of water, etc. That only makes good sense. And be real; diamonds are expensive, but they're not that expensive. Ask any poor shlubb who ate Kraft dinner for two months so he could properly propose. Actually, I'm a slick motherfucker, so I'd probably have little credit-card sized tabs of all this shit in my wallet or something, and I'd be all like Matter Chameleoning Gambit. Oh, dude, that'd be so tits.

Anyway. No books handy, so I don't know the rules on the correlation between size/volume of object and % of personal transformation, so I'm going to stay out of that one. But sorry, guys, it's perfectly reasonable to have most of those items on your person if you know that you can assume the composition of whatever you touch.

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
But let's be reasonable. If I knew that I could turn into whatever substance I touched, you can bet your fucking ass I'd be carrying around a trinket bag with an assortment of stones, metals, a bit of wood, a little cordial of water, etc. That only makes good sense.

Those items I wouldn't dispute. Providing it is explained where they go when she converts into a substance that no longer allows her to 'carry' items.

Shit I play a MC character now (TT) and he keeps doo dads like this, but Vivi always points out what items (if any) I've lost if my form no longer accomodates the substance I've become.

I'm not sweating creativity, just continuity.

Quote:
Actually, I'm a slick motherfucker, so I'd probably have little credit-card sized tabs of all this shit in my wallet or something

And role play the digging out your wallet... shuffling through the items, finding the one you need/want... meanwhile, you get punched in the dick by Pepito the Incredible Dwarf.

I see the logic, but doing that takes time, hell I can't find my credit card sometimes and I know exactly where it should be. Now do that with several cards, while a rampaging midget with a mega strength of 5 is barreling towards you with a bottle of lube in one hand and a seven foot dildo in the other.

Bet you couldn't.

And role play the digging out your wallet... shuffling through the items, finding the one you need/want... meanwhile, you get punched in the dick by Pepito the Incredible Dwarf.

I see the logic, but doing that takes time, hell I can't find my credit card sometimes and I know exactly where it should be. Now do that with several cards, while a rampaging midget with a mega strength of 5 is barreling towards you with a bottle of lube in one hand and a seven foot dildo in the other.

Bet you couldn't.

Oh, totally, but that would be part of the fun of the gimmick. Having to file through your shit every time you want to change. A pain in the ass, yes, and only debatably more handy than just looking for what you need naturally. But it'd be a fun idea. "Could you hold the fuck on? I'm looking for that fucking hunk of iron, here! Let's see, gold card, platinum card, silver card...FUCK!"

Also, you know, nobody ever beats the shit out of Clark Kent. With enough discretion and Stealth, you could probably get away with it most of the time.

Originally Posted By: Kittie
Okay. I've tried to ignore this. Really, I have. But that list of objects is ignorant. It's as ridiculous as everything else you've come up with thus far. She carries on her person? Tear gas? A plasma torch?! By all that is holy, get some perspective. You cannot justify the things that your characters do or have, so you make things up on the spot. Custom-made bags crafted of multiple materials to give her anything she wants to use MC on? A cell-phone utility belt given to her by the FBI to film crimes in progress? Unlimited resources, because her "mentor" (who is never discussed outside of these justifications, by the way) is unimaginably rich and influential? What's next?

Industrial diamonds are cheap. Read man made, not the real ones. You can buy them at hardware stores. They put them on saw blades.

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=diamond+coated+saw+blades&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=oWn&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title

Tear gas is illegal, and looking back could be over the line. That is fine. I have not used it, and if you think it is too far I am willing to remove it.

Plasma torches are not illegal just frowned upon in most areas.
http://www.mechanicstoolsupply.com/product.asp_Q_catID_E_36_A_subCatID_E_215
THe one she uses is one shot. it is her hand gun in the purse. If you all think it is a big streach by all means I will remove it.

Um I did not say at any time to you what her bag was made of beside the zippers were titatium. THe rest of it made of high tensslil streagnth fabric, that is meant o hold up to most forms of wear and tear. The other items are in it. In pokets.

She has no inside hooks into the FBi data bases, at all. SHe has phone numbers to call because she was raped by a nova who is wanted by the FBI, and that is it. She has a few cell phones because she tends to break them. The fact that they are camera phones that can send video files steams. I fail how what we can do in the real world is a big deal in Aberrant with super smart novas.

But hey i think you are upset at being left ou of the loop. not what is in it. I will strive to be more open.

Originally Posted By: Seph OOC
But let's be reasonable. If I knew that I could turn into whatever substance I touched, you can bet your fucking ass I'd be carrying around a trinket bag with an assortment of stones, metals, a bit of wood, a little cordial of water, etc. That only makes good sense.

Those items I wouldn't dispute. Providing it is explained where they go when she converts into a substance that no longer allows her to 'carry' items.

Shit I play a MC character now (TT) and he keeps doo dads like this, but Vivi always points out what items (if any) I've lost if my form no longer accomodates the substance I've become.

I'm not sweating creativity, just continuity.

Quote:
Actually, I'm a slick motherfucker, so I'd probably have little credit-card sized tabs of all this shit in my wallet or something

Bet you couldn't.

So the wallet is cool, but the bag is not? Oh I think you disagree with it being mine.

The fact is that her bag is made for her. It is made to be tough and strong.It has built in GPS. Other htan that it is a shoulder bag with well made pockets. Big deal.

If she has to turn into air, she has to drop her bag.SHe may lose it. She may not.

Can she get to any item in her bag before some crazy nova tries to kill her?Nope. She also is not a crime fighter. Se is not here to stop crazy novas in a brawl or whatever she is there to save lives. If a building falls over..She goes in and either tries to stop other buildings falling over or save those who were trapped in the first one. If Long ball was knocking building over and attacking people. She would get the hell out of his way and let him go about doing what he was doing, when he was done she would then pick up the peaces.

Eh the problem was not with the bag itself, but with what you claimed you were carrying around, stuff like Plasma Torched, Industrial Diamonds, several samples of different materials and Tear Gas.

While most of that IS buyable, it's not believable to be carrying it =/

If it helps at all, the Titanium Zipper I would let pass, maybe even the diamonds and some metals. But some of the stuff it's not just stuff you carry around with yourself.

Time for me to chime in. I use Matter Chamelion as a power of convenience. There is no need to have my character carry around samples of different substances, or elements. Instead, I have my character use whatever is available at the moment, that will serve his purpose.

This does'nt mean that I won't get exotic with the power. For example, If attacked, the character will be in contact with the air. It will provide DD of at least 3 in regards to physical attacks, flight (at normal walking movement OR at the speed of local wind and air currents). Becoming air also menas a certain level of invisibility...or at least a chamelion ability when put against such a backrop. For an attack, you always have 'asphyxiation'. With all these powerss at your disposal, there is no need to carry around samples.

Using matter chamelion means you have to be creative, and you have to understand the nature of the substance your'e touching. How does that substance react to the world around it, how would an attack affect it, what offensive benefits does it have, and what other abilities might it have.

Becoming 'tear gas' is very plausable, but not something that happens very often. As is becoming some of the more exotic substances, like Plutonium. Sure you take on those substances properties, but how often do you encounter Plutonium?

Now, there are very common fundamental forces and substaces that the creators of Aberrant might not have been familiar with. A couple that come to mind are; Neutrinos, Gravitons, the EM Spectrum (cosmic rays to gamma radiation..including visible light colors) and Radioactive byproducts like Alpha and Beta particles. (example: Neutrinos would give DD 5, without the solid parts, Gravity gives you several of the suite powers from gravity manipulation..ect.) Granted, most or all of these might seem a little far fetched, and I will admit, they would require a high level of skill in MC to utilize (4 or 5 dots). Nevertheless, all are found in abundance in the natural world. So how do we, as a RP community decide the scope of such a broad based power as MC? Do we say that X, Y, and Z are off limits, or do we look at the application and feaseability of each specific usage of the power?

RE: Carrying it around.

When I was playing an MC character I did carry around a couple of items... but not so many that they'd get in the way. Matches are reasonable, a plasma torch is less so because you run the risk of breaking the torch every time you transform. A pebble of iron or granite is reasonable... but considering the characters lack of attune she probably shouldn't be bringing things that she can't tolerate losing or breaking.

In theory she could carry around a small piece of radioactive material, in practice it’s such a bad idea for a mentor to let a youngster walk around with that it shouldn't happen. Ditto the torch. On the other hand it's reasonable to carry the previously mentioned pebbles and have a pile of them back home as replacements. On the other, other hand… go liquid or gas and all of them are gone. Does the character go gassy on a regular basis? Yes? Then she probably shouldn’t be carrying around a collection of junk that she’s going to have to replace, it’s too much bother when you can find metals and rocks everywhere.

RE: Gravitons

If she wants to manipulate a theoretical particle that no one has been able to detect, she needs to buy Gravity Manip.

RE: Neutrinos

They exist, but we aren't in contact with them even on a monthly basis.

RE: The EM Spectrum et all.

If it isn't enough to do damage then it probably isn't concentrated enough to use. If she wants to buy teleport and use this as a theme excuse, then that’s fine. If she wants to have access to teleport via MC whenever she’s exposed to light, then that probably isn’t. Similarly, unless she wants to buy Immolate+Area I don’t see MC granting as part of the default power the ability irradiate large areas simply because radiation is everywhere even at 5 dots.

Honestly, MC is extremely strong all by itself even without adding all these things on it. For example if Primal had gone after her she probably would have kicked his ass. It’s a bad thing to use an Aggravated attack on someone who both has a defense against it (MC defends against AGG kind-of sort-of) and can become the embodiment of that attack (presumably MC turns her into Immolate+AGG, Claws+Agg, plus perhaps INV:That flavor of Agg).

Josh, she is only caring things she would be overly upset at losing. The plasma torch is no more. It was a bit of not thinking thing threw and failing to see from other people's point of view.

The items of her back cost a shit load money for me, but in all honestly she has the resources and backing to get these type of things without much care.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
So the wallet is cool, but the bag is not?

I think the bag is fine too. As always your delivery of the concept (and it's contents) were lacking.

The FBI also would not give her a slew of numbers to call if the nova was wanted by the FBI, nor would they give her a cell phone utility belt either (thank you though, I laugh every time I think of that). She would have an agent's number (a the number to a division related to her specific situation), and would be asked to keep a low profile. The FBI would certainly not give her any tools or gadgets to assist in his/her capture (she is a civilian), she is not an agent and using a victim of a crime as bait is rarely used as a method of apprehension.

Quote:
Oh I think you disagree with it being mine.

That has nothing to do with it, do not insult my integrity again. As I've said, I may be harsh, but I've always tried to be fair.

Quote:
Can she get to any item in her bag before some crazy nova tries to kill her? Nope.

But following the path of repetition you have, she would. Every time.

Quote:
She also is not a crime fighter.

Sure seems like it, normal people even First Response people don't carry plasma torches and tear gas in their purse.

Originally Posted By: Catalyst
So the wallet is cool, but the bag is not?

The FBI also would not give her a slew of numbers to call if the nova was wanted by the FBI, nor would they give her a cell phone utility belt either (thank you though, I laugh every time I think of that). She would have an agent's number (a the number to a division related to her specific situation), and would be asked to keep a low profile. The FBI would certainly not give her any tools or gadgets to assist in his/her capture (she is a civilian), she is not an agent and using a victim of a crime as bait is rarely used as a method of apprehension.

Quote:
Can she get to any item in her bag before some crazy nova tries to kill her? Nope.

But following the path of repetition you have, she would. Every time.

Quote:
She also is not a crime fighter.

Sure seems like it, normal people even First Response people don't carry plasma torches and tear gas in their purse.

Well, see she bought the cell phones. IT is what having a resorces of 3 lets you do.I can't physically update my sheet I will get onto it asap) There also many FBI numbers that are just public.

In the same way that Primal is most likely not going to be killed by a random T2m memeber walking in on him. It is the power of PCs, the main difference is that Catalyst first action tends to be move out of harms way.

Lastly, I have before admit that those two items were a brain fart. I will reasonably say that seeing how she has not used them, that they are not real because I see they are unreasonable now.

Archived