[OpNet] A few words to think on

Muse

There is still no agreement about what "human nature" is -- What is beyond trivial or temporary features of our physiologies or out cultures that happen to have been thrown up by history or evolution, is common to and exclusive to the creatures we recognize as human. Human nature, if proper to speak of such a thing, is not fixed; it has changed in the past and could change again. its continuity with the natures of other animals is part of its fluidity.... How much out natures has to change before our descendants cease to be human is a question we are not ready to answer. In this respect it resembles the question about when,in the course of evolution, our ancestors became human-- which is also unanswerable at the present stage of out thinking and knowledge.

That humans are uniquely rational, intellectual, spiritual, self away, creative, conscientious, moral or godlike seems to be a myth-- And article or faith to which we cling in defiance of the evidence. But we need myths to make out irresoluble dilemmas bearable. And out claims of our nature are: not mere myths but also aspirations, still waiting to come true.... For now if was to go on believing we are human, and justify the special status we accord ourselves--if indeed, we want to stay human through the changes we face--- we better not discard the myth, but start trying to live up to it.

Well Muse certainly gets kudos for trying to prove, despite what Ptesan-Wi believes, that English can indeed be a holistic language...

I wish to answer this post, however, by referring to the words of a notable Nova whose opinions sums up my thoughts admirably:

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Um, yeah... okay, whatever.

Originally Posted By: Muse
That humans are uniquely rational, intellectual, spiritual, self aware, creative, conscientious, moral or godlike seems to be a myth-- And article or faith to which we cling in defiance of the evidence.

People have the ability to be these things. They can also ignore all of this. People can be like animals. They can be blind to what follows their choices. That doesn't make the good things a myth. It does mean it is not the whole story of being human. Being a nova doesn't change that either. Being a nova means we can soar higher further and faster. It also means we can fall lower and more quickly.

I would have to say that such things as myths and legends would be within the mental outlay of any sentient race. Pride is not an evil thing in and of itself, when Pride becomes Hubris however...

What are we? We are the One Race, we are intimately linked with the fundamental forces of the cosmos. Our potential is I would say potentially unlimited. We are in essence, the Children of Infinity.

That is the macroscale way I see things. On an individual level we are unique, and that goes doubly so for the Elevated.

Oh, for the record, it's spelled Transcendance.

Originally Posted By: Trooper
Does this sort of discussion ever actually lead to anyone coming to a conclusion or changing their mind? Honestly it seems like a bunch of fucking jerking off to me.

Just like the bush wars you take part in. You missed the point of me posting.I do not care to change minds one way or the other.I only wanted people to think. Those were my stated goal, and I did not lie. In the end of the day, making people think doesn't end up with blood on my hands.

Originally Posted By: Procyon
Well Muse certainly gets kudos for trying to prove, despite what Ptesan-Wi believes, that English can indeed be a holistic language...

I wish to answer this post, however, by referring to the words of a notable Nova whose opinions sums up my thoughts admirably:

Originally Posted By: Revenant
Um, yeah... okay, whatever.

At least Muse got us to actually agree on something.

I feel down right fuckin' inspired now...

Archived