New Extra: Affect Other

Mr. Crimson

Affect Other

Affect Other: This gives a power that had a range of Self a range of Touch, so that the nova may grant the beneficial effects of the power to another. The target must be willing, although some amount of trickery may be used, as the target only gets a feeling for the power being used and not a detailed warning, someone may be turned into a frog when wanting to be turned into a lion. However, these effects are inherently unstable, and the target may revert to his normal state with the expenditure of one Willpower point. Furthermore, any power with a duration of Permanent has a duration of Maintenance when applied to others (although it is still Permanent on the nova who has it).

Note: Being affected by a power grants the target immunity to that specific power, so that a target isn't burned when gifted with Immolate, for example.

Well, dunno, you could Shapeshift someone into something small to ahve him infiltrate someplace, or transform him into someone else for a very good, if temporary, disguise. You could give someone Flight or Hypermovement for them to be able to escape (or get somewhere on time). Make a baseline a force to be reckoned with by way of Density/Size Increase... dunno, lots of powers could benefit.

Terats book has Quantum Infusion (or something akin to it) which can be used on Baselines and Novas, it gives them use of a single power that the user has, the main difference is the Baseline still needs Quantum Points so you must spend them so he has a pool too.

The only other power that reminds me of this is the Quantum Authority power, it has a power that lets you give Mega-Stats and Powers to a mortal for a certain amount of hours.

You should check them out, and then re-check this. The first one might be what you are looking for.

But Nova Proxy transfers the power. If you use Nova Proxy to let someone use your Absorption, you lose those dots in Absorption while they have it. Not to mention the whole temp Taint thing for botches.

This Extra is actually quite useful, but only if the whole "may affect others" part is optional, not permanent. Kind of like the Supercharge Extra for Q-Bolt, you don't always have to apply it. That way you're not stuck with an Immolate that can be used on anyone but yourself.

This Extra isn't for "giving" powers to others, from what I gather. You're not lending a power to a target for them to activate at their leisure, you're simply letting a power that you use extend to include them. So if you have Claws + Affect Other, you can spend QP to enhance an ally's body with the effects of Claws just as well as you can activate it for your own body. You wouldn't actually be giving them the Claws power though, for them to use at will; you would still be spending the QP and activating the power.

Look at Psychic Shield. I believe it has an extra just like this one.

Blue Thunder basically nailed it on the head. This isn't Nova Proxy: you don't lend the power, you only get to lend one power (the one that has the Extra), it's much more expensive to buy this Extra than Nova Proxy, but you can give the effect to more people without losing it yourself (although the maintenance kills you) and no Taint stuff happens (because the guy you give the power to doesn't get to roll anything anyway, it's not his power). Flight was actually a bad example, this power was thought out with things like Shapeshift, Chimeric Aberration, Sizemorph, Bodymorph (and Force Field and Psychic Shield, but those already have it). It's to use your powers on other people, not to "give them the power". Both the effect and the flavor are completely different.

Question: Wouldn't you be better served to just buy five dots in Attunement?

Not disapproving, mind you, since this is a bit more specific and that could be important for certain character concepts. But from a strictly rules perspective, it could be just a little redundant.

• 2 weeks later...

I really don't see the point of this. As written, my understanding is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong).

This extra lets you sidestep Attune rules for mass, but that's pretty much all.

Example: Joe gives Jane the power Flight.

1) Joe still needs to hold Jane's hand (no range).

2) Joe (not Jane) actually controls the power Flight (the power effects her, however she doesn't own or control the effect).

Attune already allows for Joe to do this if he has enough and if Jane is light enough. The same comment holds true for powers like Immolate.

Note that Attunement got an upgrade with the APG.

• 3 weeks later...

That's why it should be allowed, but only for certain powers.

It's like Claws + Area. A Storyteller is smart not to allow an extra like Area for Claws. Same with Affect Other; it would need to be approved for certain powers. Invisibility, Sizemorph, Chimeric Aberration...these are all good choices.

Chimeric Aberration + Affect Others is basically what Sin-Eater does.

Originally Posted By: Courier
I really don't see the point of this. As written, my understanding is as follows (please correct me if I'm wrong).

This extra lets you sidestep Attune rules for mass, but that's pretty much all.

Example: Joe gives Jane the power Flight.
1) Joe still needs to hold Jane's hand (no range).
2) Joe (not Jane) actually controls the power Flight (the power effects her, however she doesn't own or control the effect).

Attune already allows for Joe to do this if he has enough and if Jane is light enough. The same comment holds true for powers like Immolate.

Note that Attunement got an upgrade with the APG.

Why would a constant touch be required? You activate the power, spend the qp, and probably pay the Maintenance cost every few rounds.

Take Invisibility. Bob has Invisibility + Affect Other. He touches Mary on the shoulder and uses the power. Now she is invisible, and can wander around seperately from Bob while still under the effects of the power. Bob pays the qp for it when activating it on her, and would pay seperately for himself (two different uses of the power).

Bob has to pay the Maintenance cost for Mary's Invisibility. When he stops paying, Mary's invisibility ends.

Same would go for Flight. Bob touches Mary, gives her the capability to fly, but he still has to pay for it. Flight is a strange example though. This Extra works best for other powers. Flight seems on the borderline of reason, but I'm sure there's some character concept out there that would have some reasonable justification for it (a Peter Pan wannabe nova, I guess, or someone that "blesses" people with "anegl wings").

Flight + Affect Others is tricky because if Bob were to activate his Flight on Mary, and he stopped paying for it when she was mid-air, she would go tumbling to the ground. Ouch.

Archived