[OpNet] Back with answers. (For real this time)

GDP_ST

Hello all, (Yes, even those of you who despise me)

I have been awake for 4 hours now, digesting and absorbing all that has happened in my absence. Were I not a Nova, it would be the work of a week at least, I feel. Not just the information contained here, but the updates Gryle has prepared for me on other matters.

I confess myself surprised that my period of absence took so little time. 5 months, when I was expecting closer to 7 or 8, maybe even a year. Maybe we are aware whilst evolving in our cocoons, and something called me forth early. A matter for discussion later, perhaps.

Firstly my apologies for Gryle, who has been impersonating me since early September on these boards. His deceptions have been effective, but doubtless caused some consternation amongst those of you who are my friends. His methods and mine are sometimes less than compatible, but he is both loyal (once bought, he stays that way) and competent.

I have been away undergoing Chrysalis, that procedure by which we who apply the philosophies of Teras cause ourselves to change and focus our uncontrolled taint into positive evolution. Before this I was attacked, subdued, spent a short time incarcerated and then subsequently escaped. My attackers were not Utopian or Terat, nor were they agents of the Directive. They appear to have been independants who sought a way to neuter the One Race through enforcing the state known as 'dormancy' on a nova. They have all been taken care of, both by myself during my escape and by Gryle whilst I was in Chrysalis. Their project died with them. It is a pity that such events transpired; now that I am awake and calm it seems perhaps tragic that such a loss of life occurred. They kidnapped me and forced their experiment on me, convinced the world would be a happier place if all Novas were dormed for good. Might as well think the world would be better because Humans were all lobotomised. Both points of view are wrong, and lead to tragedy.

I'll be in touch with you, my friends. It's good to be back, despite some part of me wishing to linger longer in the safe warmth of quantum energies that formed my cocoon. Not unlike wanting to stay in bed on a Sunday morning, back when I was Human.

Oh, and Revenant. I understand that you're a City Defender now. Do you get a utility belt with that? I was thinking of trying out, but only if they have a utility belt.

With love for all of you (see the bracketed section at the head of the post)

Procyon

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who am I? Leaving aside the crushing blow to my ego at such a question, and assuming it was not a rhetorical question communicating "Why the fuck should I care about this post?" it is easy enough to answer. So here it is:

*drum roll*

I am Procyon.

(Arrogant though it may seem to say so, but if you need to ask you have either just arrived on this planet, have just woken from cryogenic suspension, or else have been living with your head in a bag for the last fifteen plus years. I'm not exactly shy and retiring, as even my worst detractors will attest. Just ask them: I see one has dropped in already to render their finely-honed opinion. Do a news file search on my name, or look at some of my posts on this board, and that should jog your memory.)

As for the other question: What is a Chrysalis...?

Chrysalis is a philosophy, a type of Taint that is purified and rendered beneficial through will and focussed quantum, and an actual procedure for metamorphosis and development in one's quantum signature. It is all three of these things and more.

The philosophy of Chrysalis is essentially that of Teras at the basic level: We are not Human, we have capabilities, potential and drives that are beyond Human on many levels. We seek to strip away the frailty of Human fear and damaging self-doubt, all those ways in which we hold ourselves back from reaching our fullest potential. How many of us have, as Humans, shied away from writing a book, or asking that cute guy / girl out, or studying marine biology as we wanted to, instead opting for the safe middle road where we cannot fail because we never strive. Too many Humans live in such a fashion, and whilst that is a cause for sadness, for Novas with our potential it is criminal. So we find an avenue of expression and channel our energies along it, pushing aside fear and restraint in a personal quest for self-enlightenment.

The second definition of Chrysalis comes about as a result of the first. We push our abilities, finding our quantum expression's ultimate form. In essence we become exemplars of that force which we most represent. Wakinyan is the Thunderbird of his people. Lemmy Chillmeister is the quintessential god of rock'n'roll, whose ancestor could well have been Dionysus (anyone who's seen Lemmy in concert can easily spot the mad shrieking women said to follow the old god of wine and revelry everywhere). Geryon and Shrapnel are rage and power and fury incarnate, as breathtaking as they are terrifying. Slattern is physical desire; of late I feel our Aphrodite is branching out into fertility as well, but then what is lust at it's most basic level but the urge to procreate? I represent the Sun in it's various forms. I could go on and on giving examples of Teras in action, but I believe that point is well made.

So we push our abilities, as I have said; a process which Utopia counsels Novas against because of the dangers of Taint. Renowned fan of Utopia that I am, they are nevertheless wise to counsel newly erupted Novas thus. Without proper mental discipline and channeling, this Taint runs uncontrolled, warping minds as well as bodies and making maniacs out of potential gods. There are many on this board who have had troubles with Taint, especially the mind-twisting sort. Through the discipline of Teras, we take the wild energies of Taint and shape them, turning them into foundations for our apotheosis. We can choose the form our aberrations take, and even reshape mental taint into less debilitating forms with enough time and discipline. This leads us to the final definition of Chrysalis.

The third definition is the actual end-process of months, even years of channeling Taint into positive energies. The Terat (please understand, I use the term Terat to mean one who practices Teras with a serious mind, not to describe the myriad of anarcho-wannabes who wear Divis Mal t-shirts and scream "Death to Humanity" on 2 Minutes Hate.) pushes themselves to excel in a way that demonstrates the ultimate expression of their subconcious quantum self. If successful, we feel those stored 'cells' of purified quantum energy opening up and releasing themselves into our quantum matrix, pouring through our node. At this point, conscious thought and action becomes difficult, as the majority of our energies are devoted to riding this tsunami, making sure it is directed according to our will. We seek a place to hide (many have one or more prepared ahead of time) and then go into a state of suspended animation as our bodies extrude a quantum-formed coccoon (taking a form appropriate to our quantum expression in some way). We remain in that form, barely aware and dormant, until the changes wrought by our Chrysalis are through. This can take mere months to a couple of years, depending. We emerge changed, as though a butterfly from a pupa. The changes vary, depending on the Terat involved and their quantum expression, but are always significant in some way.

There, that is my brief attempt on defining Chrysalis. I realise that some questions are unanswered by my short essay, but to be honest with you it takes more than reading to understand Chrysalis and Teras. It takes seeking out someone who is on the path, speaking to them and observing them at length, finding the path that suits you best and then trying with guidance to walk it. There is no pretending with Teras. When it comes down to the bone, the very act of channeling Taint energy into Chrysalis energy can only come about as as result of shedding Human inhibition, of declaring in the depths of your heart that you are not Human anymore, but Something Else. What that is, is up to you.

There are other Terats here, many of whom I value in terms of insight and opinion. If any of you have differing opinions, or have anything to add to this explanation, please do so by all means. For the rest of you, take away what you will from this, but please don't flame or attempt to assert that "All t-rats are stupid" and "We're human because the U.N says so". It's impolite and irrelevant. Of course, I'm always available and open to answering honest questions.

Chrysalis is exactly what it sounds like. You contemplate your navel until you reach a point of development, after which you catalyze an event traumatic or sublime enough to trigger a second eruption. You go into hibernation and come out a bigger freak with more powers than when you went in. The Teargen dreamed it up and some of them do it. Gary Glitter, here, used to be one of them, and is now being shunned and despised as an expatriate because he didn't give his audio guide book to enlightenment back to the steward at the front desk as he left.

As for who Procyon is? Yeah, Foxy Brown nailed it down pretty well. He's a fucking dimestore guru cum personal jesus and a narcissistic, attention-mongering cunt.

And he's apparently naive. Very naive.

Originally Posted By: Procyon
I am Procyon.

Big fuckin' deal.
Quote:
As for the other question: What is a Chrysalis...?

A bad idea. It's like Meth. Sure it gets you going at first, but after awhile the prom queen's teeth fall out and she gets covered in scabs, scars and bruises while she descends into a hideous life of being a nasty ass freak show.

It makes you uglier.
Quote:
Chrysalis is a philosophy, a type of Taint that is purified and rendered beneficial through will and focussed quantum

Please tell me you do not actually believe this.
Quote:
We are not Human

How many hardcore super-mega-brain Terats did it take to figure this one out?
Quote:
We seek to strip away the frailty of Human fear and damaging self-doubt, all those ways in which we hold ourselves back from reaching our fullest potential.

By what, finding a shortcut? Seriously, it's through these experiences that we learn lessons of life and how to act and treat people in a civil manner. I'd rather overcome self-doubt on my own than slipping into some pupa and coming out later saying "Yeah, I was to much of a sniveling bitch to do it myself, so I went into Chrysalis."
Quote:
How many of us have, as Humans, shied away from writing a book, or asking that cute guy / girl out, or studying marine biology as we wanted to, instead opting for the safe middle road where we cannot fail because we never strive.

Bad example with a good point. You're thinking like a rich, hedonistic mutant again. Baselines have neither the resources nor the time we muties do. So it's not like they can just wake up one day and claim "Hey, I'm going to quit my job, leave my wife and three kids and study marine biology."

People strive every day Pro. What about the single Mom who works a 10 hour day, picks her kids up from day care, cooks them a meal, finds time to spend reading them a story and goes to bed tired worn out because every ounce of energy she has is spent making sure her children grow up to a better life than hers. She walks a road of success and failure everyday, and she does it without the hopes of some magic cocoon that will strip away her Humanity.
Quote:
Too many Humans live in such a fashion, and whilst that is a cause for sadness, for Novas with our potential it is criminal.

Considering that all novas are born human would it not be appropriate to assume (following your logic) that it would be criminal for humans to live in such a way as well? As novas should we not foster a greater sense of positive living for them in hopes that they may erupt and continue to recognize their limits and never cease attempting to exceed them?

If nova potential is limitless, and all novas are first human, then would it not be logical to assume that human potential is limitless as well?
Quote:
So we find an avenue of expression and channel our energies along it, pushing aside fear and restraint in a personal quest for self-enlightenment.

Wow, humans have been doing this for eons. Where the fuck have you been?
Quote:
We push our abilities, finding our quantum expression's ultimate form.

Ya know, the last time I tried this I tapped felt it, just for a moment. A taste of what my limitless and ultimate form could bestow upon me, and with just the pin prick of the energy that I released I made miles of land simply disappear and float away as dust on Death's wings.

No thanks. I'm a prick because it's my way of keeping my emotions in check, when I lose control shit like that happens. A beast I am, lest a beast I become.
Quote:
Wakinyan is the Thunderbird of his people. Lemmy Chillmeister is the quintessential god of rock'n'roll, whose ancestor could well have been Dionysus. Geryon and Shrapnel are rage and power and fury incarnate. Slattern is physical desire. I represent the Sun in it's various forms.

I dread to imagine what I could become.
Quote:
Without proper mental discipline and channeling, this Taint runs uncontrolled, warping minds as well as bodies and making maniacs out of potential gods.

Taint makes ya cuckoo, and only a cuckoo would be insane enough to think that a magic cocoon is a way of controlling it.
Quote:
There are many on this board who have had troubles with Taint

Not me. Nuthin' out of the ordinary here.
Quote:
the discipline of Teras, we take the wild energies of Taint and shape them, turning them into foundations for our apotheosis.

What's an APO-THEO-SIS?
Quote:
The Terat (please understand, I use the term Terat to mean one who practices Teras with a serious mind, not to describe the myriad of anarcho-wannabes who wear Divis Mal t-shirts and scream "Death to Humanity" on 2 Minutes Hate.)

There is a difference? One goes on 2 Minutes of Hate, the other rampages through the streets because he has no other outlet.

I was on 2 Minutes of Hate once (as the person being hated), man that was such an honor. I still read it from time to time makes me feel all toasty inside.
Quote:
If successful, we feel those stored 'cells' of purified quantum energy opening up and releasing themselves into our quantum matrix, pouring through our node. At this point, conscious thought and action becomes difficult, as the majority of our energies are devoted to riding this tsunami, making sure it is directed according to our will.

So, lemme get this right. Conscious thought (which is directly related to rational thought) makes it difficult to perform actions. You ride the tsunami of power...

Okay, so you get really high on quantum energies and like a someone hopped up on SOMA you suddenly lack the capability to make rational choices for yourself and give into this Chrysalis thing while your at your weakest and most vulnerable.

Sounds like Quantum Date-rape. Or pathetic addiction to energies you can't control while on a continuing quest for power.
Quote:
There, that is my brief attempt on defining Chrysalis.

Yay! Go get a cookie.
Quote:
It takes seeking out someone who is on the path, speaking to them and observing them at length, finding the path that suits you best and then trying with guidance to walk it.

For those playing the home game, that was the "Seek me out, I'd like to recruit you." line.
Quote:
There is no pretending with Teras.

Sure there is, 99% of you do it every single day.
Quote:
When it comes down to the bone, the very act of channeling Taint energy into Chrysalis energy can only come about as as result of shedding Human inhibition, of declaring in the depths of your heart that you are not Human anymore, but Something Else.

To sacrifice being human on the alter of power is to sacrifice your humanity along with it.

There is no soul so far gone that it cannot be redeemed. I like to think that any way. But a soul devoid of humanity is no longer a soul it's Something Else.
Quote:
Please don't flame or attempt to assert that "All t-rats are stupid" and "We're human because the U.N says so". It's impolite and irrelevant.

You're the idiot that also says, "Don't look down." to the poor shmoe dangling off a cliff, aren't ya?

If you say not to then of course I'm gonna. I'm an asshole, it's what I do.

I find your explanation intriguing.

I am, so far at least, free of taint so I find this 'Chrysalis' technique a bit, well, useless. However, if it can help those who are suffering from the ravages of QB then I say it is truly a marvel indeed.

I'd like to learn more. Is there an e-book I could download somewhere?

There is no e-book (though the idea has a certain amount of merit, at least as a primer). Practising Teras out of a book is like learning martial arts from a book. You may learn the moves, but not the centering and inner focus that makes those moves so effective as you would from a good teacher.

But Chrysalis has more uses than simply controlling Taint, Contessa. That is simply the tip of the iceberg. The process helps us to realise our true potential, and gives us glimpses of how far that potential goes. One of the carefully understated facts about Homo Novus in the Utopia-controlled media is that we are literally capable of anything. Creation and destruction from the most infinitesimal of scales to the most infinite.

The notion suggested by Revenant that Teras and Chrysalis involves losing of one's soul is abysmally stupid at best, dangerously inflammatory at worst. Any Terat who goes helter skelter for the power without having the understanding and appreciation of the full process is indeed going to fall, just as can happen to non-Terats and Humans too. And as for those that transcend Humankind not having a soul? Revenant, I expected somewhat better of you. Leaving behind Human frailty has, paradoxically, made me more humane. More compassionate, more patient, less prone to fear and hate. If souls do exist, depending on your belief on such a matter, then I assuredly have one.

So that you understand some of the rancor in this thread, Contessa, I am somewhat of a pariah amongst the Teragen for my avowed proposal to bring Teras, and Chrysalis, to those outside of that overly-politicised movement. Many seem to be adopting a wait and see posture, perhaps hoping that Mal will strike me dead for my 'heresy'.

Other novas see me as an attention slut, or as a dangerous idealist. To the first, I freely confess that I do enjoy attention, and admiration. I also enjoy giving attention and admiration to others. I am a social creature, and prefer interacting with others in a positive fashion to the alternative.

As for being a dangerous idealist, I suppose from the point of view of a person with few or no ideals that is very true. To someone jaded, cynical and without hope, there is nothing so dangerous as someone who still has hope, and works towards a dream. Particularly someone who seeks out others with similar qualities.

Having explained this to you so that you understand both points of view, I freely offer to talk to you more about Chrysalis and Teras. The two are one and the same, to all intents and purposes. But it is a path of self-discipline. growth, and will-over-energy, not of wild maniacal rushing for power as many seem to think.

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me through this board. I don't proselytise: I lay out the facts as I see them and let others make up their own minds.

Regards,

Procyon

If you would like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me through this board. I don't proselytise: I lay out the facts as I see them and let others make up their own minds.

Regards,

Procyon

I'm not trying to be hostile, but no Terat has ever given me a sufficant response to this queries:

Isn't it incredibly rude to persue a Joseph Campbellesque heros quest through post-modern mythmemes while inhabiting the same biosphere/planet as 10 billion humans, tens of thousands of dolphins, and some bonobos with sharp sticks?

and

Almost all philosophies of self-actualization are a bill of goods passed down by charismatic leaders. The extent to which you they force you to ignore the context of your actions as well as the effect those actions have on the environment in which they take place is the extent to which that leader has been successful in subverting your free thought. Sound like anyone we know?

Originally Posted By: HyperFocus

I'm not trying to be hostile, but no Terat has ever given me a sufficant response to this queries:

Isn't it incredibly rude to persue a Joseph Campbellesque heros quest through post-modern mythmemes while inhabiting the same biosphere/planet as 10 billion humans, tens of thousands of dolphins, and some bonobos with sharp sticks?

Since you're not someone who usually rips something down without having an alternative, where do you suggest they start?
I mean, the moon is cold and has that whole 'lack of a breathable atmosphere' problem. The same goes, in varying degrees, for the various other celestial bodies.
I can't say that most of what the Teragen does makes me happy, but somebody has to be the first to try. Waiting until each and everyone of us can survive beyond the biosphere sounds way too much like a suicide pact to me.

Originally Posted By: HyperFocus
Almost all philosophies of self-actualization are a bill of goods passed down by charismatic leaders. The extent to which you they force you to ignore the context of your actions as well as the effect those actions have on the environment in which they take place is the extent to which that leader has been successful in subverting your free thought. Sound like anyone we know?

Woah... dude... you lost me.

All Im saying is that anytime someone presents me with the one true path to enlightenment and self-actualization I start asking questions, be they Divis Mal, Jesus, or even Oprah. I don't trust anyone who asks me to shortcut my critical thinking to sign on to his quasi-mystical program.

The questions of Nova oppression are political questions. They will have political answers. Attaching a religious component to a political movement is usually a sign of a weak ideology (late 20th century American neo-conservatives, German national-socialism) or a weak and embattled elite power structure that needs to keep its masses distracted (Saudi Arabia, Hapsburg Spain, The Holy Roman Empire....hell, Catholicism in general).

Of course, I'm a queer man from an ethnically Jewish family. So maybe I just get a bit worried when people start talking about innate genetic superiority and the rights that gives you over your "lessers". Mind you, ending up in a Utopian death camp like Bahrain or falling victim to the SS type conspiracy within Utopia we've all heard about aren't viable options either.

Teragen has the rhetoric of a fascist ideology crossed with a cult of personality. Utopia has the machinery and infrastructure of a fascist state, complete with a secret police and vertical integration with the capitalist class. Franky, both of them scare the piss out of me. And I'm not even one of the "little people".

So, Hyperfocus, everyone is the bad guy. No one is out to help anyone else but you, and anyone would be a fool to join either the Teragen or Project Utopia. Yeah ...

A few points: If PU is a fascist police state then why do novas freely leave all the time? Hell, some Utopian novas leave and go join the Teragen ... unless the Teragen and PU are really the same group with different masks?!?!?!

Seriously, why let the novas leave?

Also, I would really appreciate any evidence you have that Utopia has a 'Secret Police'. Certainly an accusation like that needs a bit of proof.

If the Teragen is a cult of personality, why does it regularly have some members acting in ways that surprise other members?

Having beaten up Caestus Pax, what does Mal do? Nothing overtly fascist that I've seen.

Once more, I ask you, do you have any proposed solutions to the organizations you've blasted? I would be interested in hearing them.

Proposed solution #1: Reject the false dichotomy between novas and baseline human promulgated by both sides. Novas have no greater rights then the rest of the populace, as Teragen would have you belive. When the use of their power infringes on the rights of, oh, lets say, "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness" of other sentient beings then they should be held accountable. One of Teragens most powerful members, Timeslip, realizes this and places herself at the mercy of her community.

Nor should more be asked of them based only on account of their greater abilities, as Utopia would have you belive. Novas should not be the oxen humanity uses to drag itself towards a cleaner, safer and more free world. We've all got to stumble down that road together. Utopias division of labor, consisting of an an almost entirely baseline human administration overseeing a Nova labor pool, is disquieting enough without all the black ops rumors swirling around.

No, I don't have any of the answers. I have no ideas how novas will police themselves, or what shape nova jurisprudence will eventually take. I propose no alternative method or organization of coordinating the altruistic impulses of novas outside the auspices of Project Utopia (though if anyone would like to begin work on that, please contact me). Utopia and Teragen are the ones claiming to have all the answers. All I have for you is some tough questions.

In the meantime, I'll work with my fellow Friends of Sophia to expand nova agency and protect those novas under unreasonable threat from the authorities. I'll keep working my day job to extend franchise, civil right and transparency in government to baseline societies. To expand their agency and to protect baselines under unreasonable threat from the authorities. Solidarity isn't a four letter word in my vocabulary.

We must all hang together, gentleman. Or surely, we will hang separately.

And if you think Utopia doesn't control your body as intimately as any police state, ask yourself this. You are free to leave, but after you leave are you free to breed?

Thank you TeleRhyde. I hope all is well with you and your friends.

HyperFocus, I would like to converse with you. At some length.

I am intrigued by your ideas. I would like to see a society come about where neither Novus nor Sapiens infringe on the life, liberty, and happiness of either party. This does not require segregation in my mind, but rather responsible integration. It should be possible for Novas to evolve/apotheosize/mutate (pick verb of choice) without being hindered by Humankind. It should likewise behoove said Novas not to hinder Humankind in their own efforts.

Working together, rather than against each other or one working for the other's benefit, we can surely see that acting in our own interests involves acting in each other's to a greater or lesser degree. Enlightened self-interest is the foundation stone for a truly productive alliance between disparate forces.

With the mutual benefits obvious, the natural cross-pollination of ideas just from contact would lead to growth, as opposed to stagnation, in both camps.

The first major step is the big hurdle, though. Both Humankind and Novakind need to take a step back, breath deeply, and realise that this little blue planet doesn't belong to either of us. We share it, with each other and with every other organism currently inhabiting it. It will take a major shift in peoples' thought processes to accept that, in a world with Humans and Novas co-existing as moral equals, there is little to no need for nations, little to no need for armies, and little to no need for much of the paraphernalia upon which most of this currently-Human world is built.

Where Utopia went wrong (other than the obvious: trying to wrangle and manage Novas as if we were difficult cattle) was in trying to build a better 'tomorrow' without taking care of the problems that made 'today' such a mess. In other words, they stuck a V12 engine into a VW Beetle and expected the damn thing not to shake apart.

Any sort of mutually respectful and cooperative society HAS to built with the understanding that whatever is wrong with the old society has to be done away with, or it's just wallpaper over cracks time.

It's up to us. The governments of the world are not going to hand over their 'Divine Right of Kings' without a struggle. But if we can show the people of the world that mutual cooperation is better than a war of extinction, the power derived from the consent of the governed will dry up.

HyperFocus, as I said at the beginning, I would like to talk further with you on this matter. I'm sure there's others here who would like to discuss it also. Feel free to contact me, here or in PM. I think it is long past time for Novas, whether Terat or not, to stop mouthing slogans, set aside our smaller differences, and start coming up with something real, tangible, and workable.

Like the man said:

We must all hang together, gentleman. Or surely, we will hang separately.

See, Procyon, you're a pretty sane guy. It's why I'm sure half of the Teragen hates your guts, except you refuse to call bullshit on that Divis Mal fellow and ask yourself some pretty important questions. Anyway, "enlighten" me on a few things, c'mon:

1. What's so bad about humanity that you believe running away from it at all costs is worth the effort?

2. What's so good about quantum power that you want all of it you can get?

3. Why are all three Archetypes based on going away from humanity instead of towards something? Not very constructive, is it?

Originally Posted By: Mr. Crimson

3. Why are all three Archetypes based on going away from humanity instead of towards something? Not very constructive, is it?

Well, away from humanity is towards something. It's towards something else. That's kinda new. The idea that we are beyond, different. And, since we're Nova we've got a whole shitload that we can be so having a pinprick target ain't really all that helpful.

Originally Posted By: Mr. Crimson
See, Procyon, you're a pretty sane guy. It's why I'm sure half of the Teragen hates your guts, except you refuse to call bullshit on that Divis Mal fellow and ask yourself some pretty important questions. Anyway, "enlighten" me on a few things, c'mon:

1. What's so bad about humanity that you believe running away from it at all costs is worth the effort?

2. What's so good about quantum power that you want all of it you can get?

1. Not running away from, but growing up from. Humankind is our base state of being, but we are capable of more, just as they are capable of more than their forebears. Might as well ask an early Homo Sapiens what was so bad about living as Cro Magnon man did. The point is that we are a next step. Unlike our forebears though, we don't have to drive our ancestors out of existence. I believe that Humankind's journey is no more over than ours is, and with my increased lifespan, I hope to be there to see where they go.

2. If you ask this, you miss the reason that 'true' Terats (trite, I know, but there's no other way to differentiate the two types) study Teras. Mal himself has said that it is not about the power, but about the understanding. And he upheld Count Raoul Orzaiz, a singularly Human-appearing Terat, as an example of such understanding. Teras is not about the acquisition of power, any more than studying as a Shaolin monk is all about becoming a peerless fighter. Those who think so are misinformed and, in the case of Terats so misinformed, on a dangerous path indeed.

3. The three current Archetypes are based on growing away from Humankind, and towards whatever is our ultimate destiny. Why? Because Novas are not Human, and should not be limited to Human thought patterns and views simply because there is no option. If a Nova makes an informed choice to be as Human as they can, to live as one and think as one, then that is their choice and should be respected as such. I am not a fanatic who needs others to live as I do in order to reaffirm to myself that I am in the right. And as Lemmy very insightfully says, with all of our potential, there is no way that a single narrow target will do for us to grow towards. If you must say we are growing towards something, say that we are growing towards being Novas.

And as for 'calling bullshit on Mal and asking myself some questions', I hardly think I'm welcome at the Cult of Mal's church fundraisers. I'm not a good little soldier. I can, have, and will question what I hear and learn, seeing if it applies to me and then analysing the nature of the data. But I am not going to throw the baby out with the bathwater when it comes to that analysis.

Enlightenment for me is a continuous refining process, subject to change and growth as new factors and ideas enter the complex equation. If you lack the flexibility to question, change and grow, then you are static and at risk of stagnation and, eventually, corruption.

Some Terats know that corruption. They mouth slogans, turn off their brains, and attack whatever threatens their perceived perfection. Not too different from the Humans, and Human-serving Novas, that do the same thing. The Cult of Mal has tried to kill me once, and I don't doubt another attempt is in the works. But for every Terat that hates me, I'm sure there are some that agree with me, not to mention some who are watching to see if I can walk the walk.

Obviously, you reject the Teras path. If you find something better, by all means let me know. But until then, I hope my answers provide some 'enlightenment' for you.

Procyon, you are one of those that is truly worthy of the name Terat. One thing I've always wondered about is whether or not the Cult of Mal realises that in their sometimes dogmatic ways they are actually missing the whole point of what Mal really means?

I actually had a chance to speak with Scripture on rare occasions, and he seems to have a similar understanding of the inner nature of Teras as you and I do. I have never met with Delorimer though, and that's probably a good thing. All I have heard of him marks him as a whacko. Has he even been through his first Chrysalis?

Cult tried to whack you? No evidence, but I will lay you odds Delorimer had something to do with it...

What I wish a lot of Teragen affiliated Novas (To differentiate from Terat, which I use in the context of what you refer to as a "True Terat") would realise is that in giving in to the raw hatred for baselines, they are in essence becoming more like those they claim to despise. Likewise, those who trash buildings, cause chaos, and quote the Null Manifesto like something out of 1950's Red China miss one of the key points of the Manifesto. Taking responsibility for one's actions. Seems a lot of the people who call themselves Teragen missed Mal's point on this.

Of the Terats on the board that I consider worthy of the name, I count you, Procyon, as well as Timeslip and Lemmy. I am sure there are others, but I am not familiar with everyone here, so if I missed anyone, it is due to lack of informed knowledge.

There are many words used to describe the journey the One Race is on. Evolution, Transcendance, Apotheosis, and others. Too a degree there is truth in all of these. But Procyon has hit on the one word that at it's core holds the most truth.

Enlightenment.

I just hope that the One Race as a whole can find it. Sometimes I grow very concerned.

Some surprisingly lucid shit.

Well, crap, a Terat with two brain cells to rub together and an inch of common sense. Where were you when I was with the fucking cuckoo Taint-monkeys? In Chrysalis? I might've just stayed with you fuckers (not). Anyway, respect. You answered, and you answered with some amount of original thought, which I didn't expect. I'm not saying I completely agree with your answers, and I still think Chrysalis is half-cooked and Mal is either a batshit fucker that should know better, or a bullshitting fucker who knows better and isn't telling, but I can give you some measure of respect.

Though you're still an attention-whore almost the size of Mal himself, what with your "not-quite-proselytizing" and interviews on N!. Bet you latched onto the Marvel gig like a suckling onto its mother's tit.

The notion suggested by Revenant that Teras and Chrysalis involves losing of one's soul is abysmally stupid at best, dangerously inflammatory at worst. Any Terat who goes helter skelter for the power without having the understanding and appreciation of the full process is indeed going to fall, just as can happen to non-Terats and Humans too. And as for those that transcend Humankind not having a soul? Revenant, I expected somewhat better of you. Leaving behind Human frailty has, paradoxically, made me more humane. More compassionate, more patient, less prone to fear and hate. If souls do exist, depending on your belief on such a matter, then I assuredly have one.

See, I understand your point Proc. I've met you, worked with you, hell in one instance defended your sorry ass with one hell of a medical bill as a 'thank you'.

None of that would have happened if I didn't see some measure of a decent soul in you. But Proc, look at the facts, for every success like you there are 30, 40, 50 failures that can't control it and run amok in the name of Teras.

You've seen it, I've seen. And I call it how it is. PupaPower is not for everyone but you hand it out like candy letting any retard with a node sign up for a try and when it fails hte Terats don't handle it, they let people like me do it then condemn me when I have to put a lame horse out of it's misery.

Originally Posted By: Revenant

See, I understand your point Proc. I've met you, worked with you, hell in one instance defended your sorry ass with one hell of a medical bill as a 'thank you'.

None of that would have happened if I didn't see some measure of a decent soul in you. But Proc, look at the facts, for every success like you there are 30, 40, 50 failures that can't control it and run amok in the name of Teras.

You've seen it, I've seen. And I call it how it is. PupaPower is not for everyone but you hand it out like candy letting any retard with a node sign up for a try and when it fails hte Terats don't handle it, they let people like me do it then condemn me when I have to put a lame horse out of it's misery.

You are absolutely right, Revenant. And that is why I, for my part, will be very selective about whom I teach, and urging others who consider themselves responsible Terats to do the same. I'm a good enough judge of character to know when someone is just pretending to seek enlightenment, when all they are after is the power grab. Likewise, I won't tell my pupils "Congratulations, heres a cookie on your first evolutionary step, now off you go and don't forget to write." I intend to be with them throughout, at first as a teacher, then an advisor, then as a peer. Through it all, I will remain their friend.

Oh, and if you have any trouble with the other sort of Terat, give me a call, please. Not that you're likely to need much in the way of help, but you should know that I support you and the other Knights in their work here in the Windy City. And the rogue elephants you speak of are as big a pain in my arse as they are in yours.

I was only half-joking when I said I was thinking of applying. Jager, if you're reading this, feel free to call on me if needed. I am a part of the city also, and will assist in its defence if you will permit it.

Hello. I apologize for intruding. Truly I do. Yet there is something I thought to add to the conversation. A bit less than two months past I was a baseline. The world where I lived grew a tiny bit brighter each day. I don't think many went to their beds hungry. Not all of the families of my friends owned an op terminal but all knew how to use mine. I know wicked things happened in that world. Sometimes to people I knew. What strikes me as I read these posts is that world does not seem to be the world most of you live in. Most still do not go abed hungry, own op terminals and wickedness is still there. But in the world everyone writes about there is a sense of conflict. Sometimes even a sense of war. This is strange to me. I look around the world where I live today as a nova and it is a little different than my world of two months past. But I don't see the war.

Originally Posted By: Revenant
the discipline of Teras, we take the wild energies of Taint and shape them, turning them into foundations for our apotheosis.

What's an APO-THEO-SIS?

I don't think anyone ever answered your question, assuming you haven't found out yet.

Apotheosis comes from the Greek. It essentially means Elevation towards Godhead.

One of the easiest to find examples in mythology is Hercules' Ascension to Olympus as he is burned after his wife [accidentally] poisons him. I suppose, considering the detrimental effects that Quantum Stress Syndrome causes on the body, that may be something of a very apt example as Procyon was using the term.

Archived