Mutants & Masterminds: Harmony City - Michael Guitierrez: Getting established

Michael Guitierrez

2-02-2007

"Are you sure this is what you want Michael?" Chief Sanchez watched the face of his best detective for any sign that the man would change his mind about transfer. The younger man nodded once and smiled. "You know me Chief, this is something I'm set to do, it's something I gotta do. These guys over in Harmony City sound like they could use a good cop to help bring these freaks down. I doubt anyone else is going to go from here, so don't worry, Los Angeles is still gonna be nice and safe. Besides, you've got plenty of good cops here." It's a self-deppreciating tone that he knows Sanchez won't buy, but old habits die hard.

"Yeah, I've got a whole precinct of them, but none of them could walk through a hail of bullets unscathed." Michael "Lucky" Guitierrez laughed slightly. "What can I say, some men are just born luckier than others." It was an issue that had been discussed before. Truth be told, he did get hit, but he simply didn't get hurt. Sanchez knew it too, but they still played the game. When one had a good cop who also happened to be someone with extraordinary talents, you didn't needle them about it. God knows they could always make a killling as a superhero, but Michael had simply wanted to be a cop. As such Sanchez had gone along, backing the young detective up on his "just luck" stories. Now his Ace cop was transferring out to a city across the counry to help theim with their problems.

Sanchez extended a hand to Michael and smiled. "Show them what real law enforcement is Lucky. I'm counting on you to do well." Michael shook the offered hand and gave his best devil-may-care grin. "You got it boss man. I'll make you proud."

That had been 4 days and one very long flight from LA to Harmony City ago. He'd found a nice little single bedroom apartment and had managed to get a good deal on an Jeep Wrangler. The condo he'd found had just been vacated, and was on the beach. Granted it wasn't cheap, butit would definitely serve as a nice home, reminiscent of his old one back in LA. He'd really lucked out on both of those fronts, the Jeep's previous owner had needed money more than the vehicle and he got it for a good price in cash. The Condo, the owner had kicked out the previous tenants for all the complaints and the damamge they'd done. The place was a mess, but after three days of work and some paint and other small jobs, he had things looking pretty decent again. His things all arrived on the fourth day, which he spent getting everything unpacked and put away.

The fifth day, the day before he was actually due to report he made his way to the Department building downtown. He wore a simple khaki coat over a light grey buttondown and khaki slacks, standard office attire everywhere but LA. He asked the young officer at the desk where he could find Chief Brahe. "He's upstairs straight down the hallway last door on the left. Be careful though, all these gangs and the return of Dr. Dread has him under alot of stress."

Mike nodded. "I can understand that, gang wars are bad enough, but throw in a supervillian and things get real dicey for the Police." She speared him with a quizzical look and he smiled. "Oh I'm sorry, I'm Michael Guitierrez, Transferring over from Los Angeles Central PD." Recognition flashed across her face. "OH! Well yes the Chief definitely will make some time for you, If you want to head on up I'll buzz ahead and let him know."

Mike nodded and smiled. "Thanks alot Ms. Rand." "Jeanette please Detective Guitierrez." He nodded. "Michael or Mike then, I'm not big on formality either." With that He took the stairs up and made his way to the office of Chief Damon Brahe, the man who was his new boss, and probably the only other soul who'd know his secret for some time to come.

"Come in Detective." the words boomed out just as he arrived in front of the door. He entered and saluted the man seated at the desk. "Enough of that, sit down let's have a little chat." Michael took a seat and then Chief Brahe began.

"First off, you're a day early. You that eager to start? " Well welcome to the Harmony City PD. I don't know why a Veteran Detective from one of the best Departments in the States felt the need to transfer down here, but I'm not going to give you too much hell. Frankly, I need someone who's got experience dealing with gangs and we all know LA is where they invented gangs."

Michael nodded and chuckled. "I can't say disagree about the origin of gang warfare."

The Chief continued. "What I want to know though is can you do two jobs at once?"

"Sir?"

"I need a man to help train our people in anti-gang tactics, but I'm told I also ned someone to be our official liason to this new supers team the Council is trying to get started. What are your feelings on the Supers?" From the tone of his voice the Chief seemed to be of mixed opinion on the matter, and he knew more about Michael than he was letting on.

"The supers serve a function that unfortunately we regular officers can't. I think of it like this. You send regular officers to deal with most crimes. For the really bad stuff you send in SWAT. For a bomb, you send in Bomb Squad. For these Super-powered villians you send a Super. I mean if a criminal can cast beams of death from his eyes, do you send in regular cops? No way you send in a Super that can deal with him."

"You're both though aren't you?"

The urge to play it off as luck was strong, but lying here wouldn't bode well for his prospects. Back home it was only because he was an established officer when his powers manifested that he got away with it. Best to play it straight. "Yes sir. I do have abilities beyond that of a normal human."

"Such as?"

"As yu may suspect, I am incredibly resilient to damage and a have limited flying capability. I also project bursts of energy to take down my opponents."

"Is that all?"

"Not quite, but those are the main ones. They're the ones that see the most use."

"I see. So will you be joinging the team openly, or can you just let it go and be a cop?"

"With all respect sir, I transferred here to be a Detective and to help the people of Harmony City. I didn't come here to be a Super, I came here to be a good cop."

The Chief slammed his fist on the desk and smiled. "Damn good to hear it son. Because that's what you're going to be. Once they form their little team, You are going to be the official Liason to the Department form this team. I will clear a benefits package and higher pay for the positiion, I can't match the monetary side, but in addition to the pay from that you'll still collect your detective pay. I can get you some priority codes to that will allow you to take over things in the field once the Supers arrive so that my boys know to let the team do their job." He tossed a badge on the desk and nodded to Mike. "Welcome to the Haromny City PD, Detective. Let's get out there and take these punks down."

Mike snatched up the badge and pinned it to his jacket. He then saluted the Chief who returned the salute and then dismissed him. "Good luck Detective, for all our sakes."

Archived