Adventure! RPG: Dark Tidings - Table Talk

jameson (ST)

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did Catori just ask for a spanking? wink

... on a side note, I need to know how much time you folks are putting into your searches. If you are going after more than one thing (like Janos and Mia appear to be) please tell me how you split the time. The more specific you are the more I can be.

Thanks

poke ...

I guess I'll forge ahead to the evening. Assume that for general knowledge on Rasputin you can pretty much learn anything appropriate from HERE

Beyond that I'm still not clear on what the others were planning to do so I'll try and wing it as appropriate, expect something no later than Friday

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm trolling for feedback. Posting has been slow, and at this stage I've been looking for you folks to direct your PCs forward but that seems to have stalled out. I was wondering if there was something you were expecting from me that you didn't get or if this is merely a product of busy lives? I can't improve the game without your feedback so please don't feel shy.

I'll update to New York soon, if not today then Friday (I'm out tomorrow)

jameson

Part of the reason I've slowed down a little is mostly because with everyone in the one place, I haven't wanted to be constantly posting, and I've been trying to let everyone have their say before I start posting.

Also, to be honest, the last couple of scenes have basically been exposition, and once the information is out there, well, there's not a lot left for the scene to do, and the scene previous had a bunch of stuff which left this scene a little more subdued. I'm quite ready to head out to New York and go out and do stuff, personally.

• 4 weeks later...

Doh! Sorry. I lost track of where we were for a bit there.

To sum up:

We're in New York, meaning to track down the local cult of Rasputin and seek answers about Rasputin, and what they know of the Heart of Darkness.

We also just got a letter (to Janos, possibly from his sister) warning us that the the cult was also seeking US out.

my post about the note was accurate, I gave you guys all the

information that could be gleaned from the envelope and letter without a skill or power roll

As a note: My style of GMing games is to not hide the stuff that should be obvious. When a PC receives a letter the to, From, and similar would be something they would read. Don't take that to mean that your PCs will automatically note the license of every car they see and the like, just that things that should be readily seen/observed will be.

Also note: Part of how I run games does require a little more "self starting" on the part of the PCs than you all may be used to. Sometimes I'll drop obvious clues that will lead you to go to location X or do action Y but others (such as now) I take my cues from you folks and then mould my story to fit.

In the case of the story at the moment, I know you want to investigate the Grigori cult but I'm waiting for you to tell me HOW you are going to do that. If you feel that your PC would know how but you the player do not you might consider trying to use a skill to gain a hint. I.e. An Investigation success might cause me to give you a hint on how to find them ...

Well, the first part of how is that we came to New York.

Now we are discussing what to do next. So we'll let you know as soon as we've haggled that out. smile

At this point, having a couple of characters chronically missing is slowing that process.

I'm thinking that roll-calling now might unintentionally exclude them even if they do want to keep playing. frown

Okay, that's fair then. smile

Before you start fixing, lets be sure we agree on what the problem is though. Otherwise we might get that thing where you fix the wobbly table by sawing the other legs shorter...then the first leg is too long, so you cut it...

And so on. smile

great that's 5 of you and I know for a fact that Catori and Daphne are around.

I'm in training tomorrow but I hope that either Thursday or Friday I can update for you folks.

I would like clarification on specifically what the two groups are doing. Again PLEASE be specific, re-read my research rules as needed to see what kind of information I am looking for from you folks. Avoid ambiguity, I beg you, text is a hard enough medium without people not being clear and specific.

• Mia and crew, you are hitting the libraries for research on the Russians correct? I assume this is further information on Rasputin and the cult including possible activities in New York. There if there is anything more you want to try and get please be specific.
  • Ben and crew, you're pumping the Aeon society in town for information. Again I'll assume you are asking around after the cult but if there is anything else please be specific and tell me.
  • Current game day is Christmas so I'll bump you forward to the following evening and assume 8 hours spent researching unless you tell me otherwise.
  • Unless otherwise stated I'll assume that you all simply pass the rest of Christmas day in quiet company
  • Who has the shard please? You really do not want me to decide where it is ... firedevil

Again, and I cannot stress this enough, after talking to Marion, Archibald's, and Daphne's players I can tell that a goodly amount of the slow down with this game has come from 2 sources. The first is simple board slowdown, it happens. The second is a lack of clarity in the communication between us. I really need to stress that you need to be as clear as possible when you request rolls and/or when you perform actions/state your activities. The more you give me the more I can give back.

The information I'm seeking, specifically:

1) Any information regarding Mr. Strakovski - it's unlikely I'll get anything, but seeing as Aeon was expecting him, someone might know something extra. He got us into this mess, any information regarding his entrance into the game is likely to be valuable.

2) Information on Rasputin in particular - Aeon has quite a few jetsetters, it's not impossible that someone might know someone who knew someone in Russia about that time.

3) Information about Rasputin's Followers in New York in specific - I've seen two of the Followers personally, someone might have seen them specifically, which would give us some clues as to where to head next.

3a) Information on any weird (well, weirder than normal) activity in New York. Obviously, connected to the previous question, but also useful just for general natter. It's an Aeon thang.

4) As a favour to Janos, I'll look for information regarding his sister. Again, a long shot, but if she is mixed up with the Followers, not impossible that there's information to be found, and likely that such information would be very useful.

As for who has the shard, I've been making the assumption that it's been in a hidden safe in the hotel room since we've arrived. (Most large suites would have one for jewelry and such). Ben would probably think it safe there; I'll leave it up to others whether they share Ben's unbridled optimism.

Also, I'll define my Contact with you via PM, of course spending 1 Inspiration to define the contact in situ.

Marion plans to do the following as part of her group:

1) Check to see if she knows of any occult resources in New York City, and consult them to see what they know of Rasputin and his followers. She explicitly is not asking them about the Heart of Darkness yet...she doesn't want to start spreading rumors at this point.

2) She'll suggest checking the New York Public library as well as the university library for periodicals, especially newspapers, that mention cult activity or occult crimes. This will be part of that 8 hours of research. The idea is that some of these crimes at least will likely involve Rasputin's people, and they may have photos of the crime scenes or other mention of details that would help in figuring out their activities and perhaps how to identify them.

3) She'll suggest to Mia that she might check with the local press directly and see if she can get any dirt from the reporters, or find out who wrote the pieces that they find (in number 2) and talk to them to see if there were details that didn't get published. And of course, Mia might be able to speak to the police to see if there's any info she can rustle up that way. Perhaps explaining that she's doing a piece of a cult called "The Followers of Rasputin" and that her leads suggest they might be based out of New York?

Those are my ideas so far...anyone else have anything?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived