jameson (ST)

Power Maxing

The point of Willpower and the variable Quantum cost are all the same. As well as the roll and spending the sucesses gained. The primary difference - ney the only difference - is that Maxing AUTOMATICALLY gains a point of temporary Taint. Period. Should you botch you will gain MORE taint.

Needless to say the price of power is greater in this game but then I always felt that it was a little too easy to run around ignoring Taint with the normal rules.

Dying for Power

As in the book but every time a character burns health to gain Quantum (be it one level or 10) they gain a point of Taint (temp) per health level burned.

Holding Back Power

I'll allow you to use successes on a "power max" roll to reduce the area on an inverse scale. Normally each success would double the area you can choose to halve the area for each success AND/OR normally you can spend two scuccess (IIRC) to gain an extra you can spend two to completely remove the area extra if you want. You may do this at a cost of one Temp Taint and no additional Quantum Pool points (it shouldn't cost more quantum to have a weaker power) and you will get your full Quantum score in dice. Botch will as usual result in more taint.

The taint cost is derived from the fact that you are forcably holding back your quantum powers. A Teras following Nova would find the act an anathma and be unable to convert taint to crysalis. Not that it'll come up this game but if I run a "standard" nova game I'll keep this rule mechanic if it proves to work well enough.

Example:

Pay 1 taint and roll quantum - roll has 3 successes you can either have a no area q-bolt or reduce the area to as small as 1/8 of its normal size (1/2 x 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/8)

Archived