Aberrant RPG - Force Field, Take II

Okay. The masses (and one developer, apparently) have spoken and nobody seems to want me to have stacking force fields. At least they are letting me have multiple force fields, at least.

Earlier in the thread, someone brought up the idea of having Elemental Mastery: Forcefields as an alternative

Do you think this is a viable idea, and if so, what kind of techniques do you see coming out of such a power?

Hmm... while that would provide you something that works with your theme, I'm not sure how it'd work in the context of the Aberrant mechanics. The first question that pops into my mind is "Could Pulse adversely affect other people's Force Fields?" That thought alone makes me wonder (especially considering that Disrupt already does this, so why complicate things).

Using another game system (the old DC Heroes), it sounds like you're describing the Force Manipulation power. Which, essentially, is the thing that let Green Lantern make all of those random objects out of emerald energy. With that as an inspiration/reference, you could take Elemental Mastery and pick a different name for the energy that's being used. God knows what name would work while maintaining some balance.

Granted, this is me just randomly throwing stuff off the top of my head while I work on my cases for today. shocked

It would seem that you are dealing with a force and it's effect on a force field. Since Force = Mass x Acceleration then the parts at work would be physical in nature. i.e. Mass. Force manipulation would fall under this area, as would any standard force field.

However,

Energy equates to mass via Einstein's General Relativity equation: Energy = Mass x the speed of light squared (E=MC2). Which means that any object, with mass, needs to be accelerated up to the speed of light, in order for it to become energy.

Elemental Mastery: Force fields would be seem to be a conundrum because it has no force with which to create a force field. Heat energy is measure in joules. Thermal energy has no force.

Yet, wind and water are felt on the skin because of particles with mass moving across our skin. i.e. kinetic energy. I think the distinction here is that kinetic energy involves mass and thermal energy does not.

Lets not get started on potential energy.

Probably you'd just buy up Elemental Mastery (Force Fields), and take techniques like Imprison, Shield, Wall (for generating a field that protects people on one side from people on the other), etc.

You'd likely make one or two custom techniques (such as Wall), and you could branch out into offensive techniques (Sphere or Blast/Lethal Blast) if you were so inclined.

Maybe Wall isn't a great name, since it could be confused with the Wall technique from Anima, which does something different.

April Rice actually has a similar thing going on, in that she has a few different applications of telekinetic barriers. For her, Force Field (with a level of area strength to also protect those within one meter), Force Field (projection), and Immobilize are all applications of the same basic ability.

Here, it really makes more sense to me to break it up into powers rather than try to form a suite. Milage may vary with Pulse.

If you want, I'm sure that a few of the proud powergamers here (I freely include myself) could work out the optimized means of creating a set of 'defensive force field' powers.

Quote:
Sarah 'Pulse' McIntyre:
Earlier in the thread, someone brought up the idea of having Elemental Mastery: Forcefields as an alternative

Do you think this is a viable idea, and if so, what kind of techniques do you see coming out of such a power?
It's a very workable idea. Just off hand.
1) Wall from Elemental Anima let's you make a wall of your "Substance" soaking 2 per dot.
1) Shield from several of them does the same thing for you only.
3) The Invisible Woman uses hers to walk on, or to pick herself up (Flight or Movement).
4) Sphere would be good.
5) Bolt would work too.

Quote:
Originally posted by David 'Dr. Troll' Smith:
Quote:
Sarah 'Pulse' McIntyre:

It's a very workable idea. Just off hand.
1) Wall from Elemental Anima let's you make a wall of your "Substance" soaking 2 per dot.
1) Shield from several of them does the same thing for you only.
3) The Invisible Woman uses hers to walk on, or to pick herself up (Flight or Movement).
4) Sphere would be good.
5) Bolt would work too.
I really don't want versatility, and I really really don't want anything remotely related to the Invisible Woman.

I've already got TK, so that handles much of the versatility she needs. But Flight/Movement is very out of flavor, as is Bolt. And most of the shield protection granted by the various suite techniques are pretty weak.

I don't know, it just doesn't seem to fit with the idea of the power scheme if I just use the standard EM scheme and then slap a "forcefield" label on it, 'specially since forcefield isn't an Element in the same vein as light, earth, or fire.

Elemental Mastery can really be just about anything, from EM (water) to EM (the glowing orange energy that pours out of my mouth when I speak sometimes). But yeah - I don't think EM is what you're looking for. Try just creating an assortment of customized powers.

Incidentally, you could easily replace Force Field (reflexive) with Armor - just describe it as a force field that automatically pops up in response to potential trauma.