Mutants & Masterminds: Harmony City - Looking for Mutants & Masterminds players

z-Carver

Chosen has graciously allowed me the opportunity to run a Play by Post M&M game here on the site. I need three players to start and will accept up to six (first come, first serve). Any member of the site is welcome to join.

The setting will be a created city, and while it's built for a four color setting, that can be adjusted for player preference. It is a standard, book build game. PM me if you're interested; once I have three people saying yes, I'll ask Chosen to put in a place for us to play.

Originally Posted By: Mr Fox
Ah, yes, thank you. I've never played it, which is why I didn't recognize the initials. What's it like compared to Aberrant?
It's related to both d20 and Champions, in that it's based off d20 (though all you need is a d20) and it can be customized pretty easily.

It has a setting, but that's not tied into the mechanics like Aberrant, which allows you to pick the setting and mood you like. I'm angling toward 4-color, as I stated earlier, but would be willing to go more gray-toned or even totally dark. I'd be interested in what the players are interested in.

Here is the basic background; I'll expand and repost this once Chosen has our forum set up.

Open call from the City of Harmony City

The City Council of Harmony City is seeking Heroes to serve as City Defenders against the recent increase in criminal activity.

The History: In the 1950's, Harmony City (then known as Florida Bay City) was plagued by one Dr. Dread, whose crime spree was ended only through the brave sacrifice of Lady Harmony. The city was renamed in her honor, and harmony reigned until last year, when a woman claiming to be Dr. Dread's grand-daughter appeared and began to wreak havoc. Using the deceased doctor's name, she has steadily destroyed the city's economy.

The Offer: The citizens of Harmony City need sanctioned defenders to step forward and aid this fair city. Competitive wages and benefits package offered, as well as a signing bonus for exceptional applicants. Identity security assured for applicants who prefer not to be a public persona.

The Area: Harmony City is located in the southern area of Florida, within driving distance of Disneyworld and Busch Gardens. The climate is warm and benign, with sunny days and star-lit nights. Harmony City boasts several lovely white-sand beaches. Despite our proximity to the Atlantic Ocean, we are in the "storm-lee" provided by the Bermuda triangle.

Our citizens come from a variety of backgrounds and all love our fair city. We understand and appreciate the wide diversity our citizens bring to our over-all culture; Harmony City does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, religion, gender, sexual orientation and background. Applicants will have to consent to a background check, which will be run by Interpol and with full confidentiality.

OOC information (all of this would be easily available in any travel guide): Harmony City is located in present-day Miami. Due to the active and very magical Bermuda Triangle, Harmony City does not have Miami's large Cuban population. Because of the recent criminal activity, Harmony City doesn't have a large elderly population either; the only citizens remaining the area are those who truly love the city (in some cases, more than life itself) and those too poor to leave.

Historically, the city has never had its share of criminals and superheroes. Some cite the proximity of the Triangle, claiming that it sends out "anti-villain vibes," rendering the city largely invisible to super-criminals. Others point out that the city has been lucky in other ways; for example, the Great Depression's impact on the city was never as great as it was elsewhere. Whatever the reason, Harmony City's only real supervillian was Dr. Dread. His accidental death in 1957 (the same accident which killed Lady Harmony) seemed to end Harmony City's run of supervilliany.

However, in 2005, Dr. Dread returned in the guise of a young masked woman who claimed to be his grand-daughter. Many doubt this claim, as Dr. Dread never seemed to have a family, but there is no doubt that she is as dastardly as the man from whom she claims descent. The resulting chaos has caused the city hundreds of thousands of dollars, and the City Council has decided to take the unprecedented step of hiring city defenders. Analysts estimate that it would be another year or two before city defenders capable of meeting her threat would migrate naturally to the city, and the Council is unwilling to wait that long.

In addition to Dr. Dread, there are other criminal organizations who will help keep the PC’s occupied. These will be detailed more fully in a later post, and if any player has a type of villain they’d like to see, please PM me.

Yes, basically programmed with the Three Laws, and interpreting the inaction clause of the First Law as a constant obligation to stop anything that would cause a human being harm (which neatly covers villains and wrongdoers ^_^).

I've actually got a sheet, down on paper, I'll pass it to digital soon, when I have time.

I am waiting to hear from another person or two regarding characters. However, we can do introductory stuff to let you guys get a feel for your characters. It would mean some solo interaction for a story, kind of a prequel. Would anyone like to do this? I think it's a bit more work for me, to do the planning and typing, but we're waiting at this moment...

OK, then those who are interested in doing intro/prequels should PM me some basics. I assume that these will be stories about how you got to Harmony City; I'll need to get a feel for how you wanted to get there - accident, travel, magic, etc. I'll provide the fun stuff, like plot. laugh

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! I have perused characters and spoken with Vixen a bit, and I have a couple of concepts to pitch for this game that might prove handy!

FIRST - A ninja! Sort of literally...but not in a historically accurate sense. Whisper is a human being that can harness a form of inner strength (call it what you like...psi, chi, ki, chakra, whatevah) to perform superhuman feats. Heightened strength, precision, speed...all that and more. At first these abilities only manifested when she pushed herself to her limits. In time, with strenuous physical training, she came to be able to control it more completely. Born in a lower-class neighborhood, her first uses of the powers were...questionable, perhaps. Not terribly heroic. It wasn't until she was faced with the consequences of what she'd done that she 'jumped the fence,' and turned from a budding mercenary and n'er do well, into someone who genuinely wished to do right...even when what was right -for her- was so tempting.

Whisper is a bit of a darker hero, who's demons within and of the past still haunt her. On the plus side, her seedy past gives her contacts and skills from the underworld that can be useful even for (mostly) law abiding heroes.

----

SECOND - Facade has an unusual situation. She has no identity of her own. This isn't as bad as it would seem...because she's quite adept at taking on other people's. Her body is infinitely malleable; indeed, she's only 'she' because she feels more comfortable that way. Her mind is gifted with an instinctive and immediate ability to understand other minds. And yet, if Facade has ever had a name of her own, a face of her own, those things are long lost; forgotten. Though her body may shrug off wounds, and even the ravages of time, her mind is more fragile. She loses a bit more of herself every time she dies...as hard as it is for that to happen.

What defines Facade's existence is a search for meaning. A purpose to her life that goes beyond the brute physics of survival. Deprived of an unbroken sense of self stretching ino the past, she is driven to build herself in the present. She is ultimately a person who's very soul has frayed under the burden of countless earthly lives, and she seeks renewal. Even redemption.

Where I'm Coming From

These are both what I consider to be "stealth" concepts. No big flashy powers. No bizarre appearances. They will be heavy on skills. Devastating when they can take a foe by surprise (and quite adept at doing so). They are an answer to the indiscriminate force of a blaster...striking with precision for maximum effect. They are the turnabout of the brick's impenetrable hide...relying on misdirection, evasion, and quick recovery to stay in battle. Whisper is skilled in getting where she's not supposed to be via stealth and skill in bypassing traps and security. Facade gets where she's not supposed to be by finding someone who is supposed to be there, and becoming him. She is the social operator, compared to Whisper's safecracking style.

If either of these is more...uh...better for the game as currently envisaged, please let me know. If neither works, I can easily submit something else. Also, these little blurbs are just summaries of background. Not by any means the whole things. smile

Anyway, thanks for your consideration!

I'm liking the first one just for the roleplay potential alone. Redeeming one's self from a dark past always gets my vote of confidence.

As for Facade, that character sounds more suitable for the Aberrant games here because of it's sheer depth. The M&M game here is 4-color for the most part, and lends itself to your first concept better. More... straight-forward.

Spartan, eh? Okay. I'll read his story and make sure to craft Whisper so she's not retreading him too clearly.

I think there's enough room under that general character background for two unique, interesting characters. I'll just make sure I have my own spin on it. Thanks for the headsup!

Dawn, thanks for the input. Ironically, I'd love to try Facade in Aberrant, but the game mechanics make her impossible to model correctly. But your point is well taken, and I like Whisper too!

I may rename her though. We'll see how she winds up.

*starts crunching*

Basically Spartan is a "jack of all trades, master of none" super soldier. He was in prison for 10 years and is now out trying to make his life better. He was convinced by the son of a friend that he should be doing something "positive" with has abilities.

Ah ha! Already there are many differences. Whisper was in a street gang. She was never actually convicted of any crimes (her real-world name hasn't even got more than a few teen-angst misdemeanors on it)...and her conversion is based on personal tragedy rather than rehabillitation.

Excellent.

Whisper,

I'm Dawn actually, and this is my first stab at feedback. Hi! laugh

We have a "face man" which is Michael, Long's character. A theif-type is someone we don't have; Spartan seems more of a knowledge guy with a brawler's style. However, both characters sound interesting, so your choice.

Just PM the stats or a link to the sheet, and a background. Also, some ideas for an intro would be good. I'll probably start the first adventure while your still on your story, but we can work you as soon as you're done with that.

Archived